• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alleyandy

alleyandy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hi all,

I just bought a used Black Pandigital Novel, Model R70F200.

I already have a White Pandigital Novel, Model PRD07T10WWH7.

The Black Novel seems to allow me to get to directories that I can't get to on my White Novel. I know that the directory layout is probably a bit different, but I can get to the directory where the apps are stores on the Black one, but not on the White one.

I'm wondering if the Black one has been rooted, but I don't know how to find out.

Here's some info on the Black one:

Black Pandigital Novel
Model R70F200
Hardware Platform: RD1001-2GB-W
Firmware Version: S64F_SHST_OP21_PD_20110310_A
Kernel Version: 2.6.29
PDUI@ANDROID #94
Adobe RMDSK: 9.1.0
At Battery Charge:
Firmware Version: S64F_SHST_OP21_PD_20110310_A
POLE1.PVT
RDU v2.8.2.6
Current Boot Count = 0

And here's the info on the White one:

Firmware Version: SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP
Kernel Version: 2.6.29 fsysky@fsysky Mon Jan 24 18:22:16 UTC 2011
Build Number PD_NOVEL 2011.03.02
BSP Version v0.01.003.20100818
Wi-Fi Version 2.3.0.0 July.01.2010
FrameWork version V1.0_08232010
Application version V1.0_08232010
Adobe RMSDK version 9.1.0
This is a "Version K" unit

Any help would be appreciated!!

#2 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 01 May 2012 - 05:06 PM

Simple little APP on the Android market called "Root Checker Basic"
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#3 alleyandy

alleyandy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Simple little APP on the Android market called "Root Checker Basic"

Hi dryster,

Thanks for the reply!

Unfortunately, I can't use Android Market (Google Play) so I can't download this apk.

I was hoping for a way that I could check something on the device to tell me if it's rooted.

Of course, if the app can figure it out, there must be something that could be manually checked...

Thanks anyway...

#4 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

Well, I believe that to be true, but you would have to have Terminal installed and more than likely it isn't. Again, the catch 22 is that you could download it from the Market...

Here's a few pointers to check, do you have an app called Superuser showing up, usually when a tablet is rooted, the root script installs Superuser and Busybox, the supueruser app usually shows up on the home desktop on the tablet. That's one clue...

Second clue, if you have the app from "somewhere" is to run Root Explorer and attempt to rename a file in your /system/app/ folder. You'll get a clue right away if it will not, or appears to and then when you revisit the subdirectory the filename is unchanged.

But again, catch 22, if you don't have market...

So, what to do, well, in the last wee while a secondary, quite useful market has popped up via CNET with 200,000 apps. You can use the browser on you tablet to go to http://download.cnet.com/android/ install the "1 Market Mobile" app (halfway down that screen) and then once installed download "Root Checker Basic" from them (I just checked, it's there, free.

You will find CNET market to be very useful.

Good Luck, let me know how you get on.
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#5 alleyandy

alleyandy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Hi dryster,

Thanks again for your reply!

I was able to track down the developer for "Root Checker Basic" and he directed me to a website where he makes available both "Root Checker Basic" and "Root Checker Pro". Of course I download "pro"!

Root Checker tells me that the device is not rooted, but it does say that BusyBox is installed.

I'm finding many subtle differences between the two devices, but overall I actually prefer the black one, since it's lighter, smaller.

Now, off to play around with it some more!

Thanks!

#6 alleyandy

alleyandy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 12:18 PM

So, what to do, well, in the last wee while a secondary, quite useful market has popped up via CNET with 200,000 apps. You can use the browser on you tablet to go to http://download.cnet.com/android/ install the "1 Market Mobile" app (halfway down that screen) and then once installed download "Root Checker Basic" from them (I just checked, it's there, free.

You will find CNET market to be very useful.

Hi dryster,

I just went to cnet to download the "1 Mobile Market" app. But just before I did, I saw this:

It's important to note that you don't actually download any apps directly from 1Mobile. Rather, each product page just features a link, which leads directly to the download page on Google Play.

I'm not sure how this would work for me, since it seems to require Google Play (Android Market), which doesn't work on my device...

it'd be nice if there was a way to just add Google Play on my Pandigital White, without changing other things along with it. I like how it's working right now, (except for the power switch!) and I don't want to mess with it too much...