14 replies to this topic

#1 Administrator

Administrator

Administrator

• Global Administrator
  • 274 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 30 April 2012 - 10:10 AM

Apparently it started on the 26th in North America, a day earlier than expected. Reports are coming in that Acer's servers are a bit overwhelmed with rolling out the update. I myself got several network error massages when trying to do the OTA (over-the-air) update on Saturday. I got fed up waiting and did a manual update. :D

Posted Image

Screenshots are now possible (by holding the volume-down and power buttons simultaneously)
  • Miss Dragon likes this

#2 Pjones11

Pjones11

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Interesting...I actually did get my update on the 26th. It downloaded and installed without warning, but, it did so successfully, quickly and without error.
Bravo, Acer.

Performance is generally good, except when unlocking after sleeping. It takes a while for the CPU to catch up (I noticed the sluggishness and installed a CPU monitor to see if I was correct...now I need to find what's causing the slow down); however, once it does everything is considerably snappier.

It doesn't seem that Acer included any new or updated bundled software; however, I've also noticed that Windows navigates the USB attached devices more quickly and a problem I periodically had where certain folder would never show up seems to have been resolved.

I haven't had any problems with any application I use regularly, so, so far, I'd say that at least for me this was a very successful update.

#3 Administrator

Administrator

Administrator

• Global Administrator
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

The only gripe I had is with how it handled my e-books. I use a program called LumiRead to read my epub formatted books, and after the update, all my books no longer appeared on the "bookshelf". The files were still there, and I had to go and add them all again to the list, but after doing that, I loaded up my current book and discovered that it no longer saved what page I was on. I spent a good 6 minutes on the subway tapping through the pages to get back to where I left off. (I was near the end...)

Wifi connects at home much faster.
Default browser seems smoother.
Have not tested battery life yet though.

#4 Poppyspoppy

Poppyspoppy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:01 AM

I am based in the UK and can't get any sense out of ACER UK about when it may start rolling out over here. Has anyone seen a schedule for the rest of the world yet?

#5 lsu205

lsu205

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 05:50 AM

Anybody else notice that since update sound and video are not in sync (sound is just a bit ahead)?

#6 Administrator

Administrator

Administrator

• Global Administrator
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:45 AM

@lsu205: From what source? Streaming videos like from YouTube? Or actual video files on the tablet?

@poppyspoppy: I updated manually by downloading the update and installing it.
http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1624908

Please note that if you update by this method you do so at your own risk. SLD cannot be held responsible if you brick your tablet. I'm sure there's nothing to worry about but you never know.

#7 lsu205

lsu205

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

Streaming from gbtv.com

#8 Administrator

Administrator

Administrator

• Global Administrator
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

Have you tested other sources? The stream itself from gbtv.com could be slightly out-of-sync, and not an issue caused by the tablet.

#9 lsu205

lsu205

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

Netflix is out of sync but not nearly as much as gbtv is. on PC gbtv looks to be in sync.

#10 Poppyspoppy

Poppyspoppy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 03:33 AM

Thanks for the XDA tip. Will look into it if Acer doesn't sort its self soon. :)

#11 Poppyspoppy

Poppyspoppy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:35 AM

All prepared to do the update manually but Acer came up trumps and it upgraded OTA on Monday :rolleyes:
Seems good but haven't really explored fully.

#12 lsu205

lsu205

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:54 AM

Have you tested other sources? The stream itself from gbtv.com could be slightly out-of-sync, and not an issue caused by the tablet.

I did gind that ifI decrease the video qulaity the sync is much better, but it does seem ICS does not handle video as weel as HC or prior. I also have a gtablet, with half the memory and it plays video that ICS has problems with (e.g HBO2GO)

#13 Administrator

Administrator

Administrator

• Global Administrator
  • 274 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:19 PM

I watched a bunch of movie trailers and other things with the YouTube app on mine and didn't notice the video running a bit ahead of audio. Everything seemed in perfect sync.

#14 sundayiron

sundayiron

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 October 2012 - 04:41 AM

In settings / about tablet there is no option for upgrading, so from the play store I downloaded the ICONIA TAB Update Enhancement, downloads fine, but when installing it gives an Error messsage - " Incompatible with other application(s) using the same shared user ID. "

I've downloaded direct from Acer and it just says application not installed.

Any Ideas???????

Thanks.

#15 semd

semd

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

I have had nothing but problems with this update