Android Tablets Forum banner

Google Play 3.5.16 and Gapps Suite Installer

18K views 24 replies 14 participants last post by  Mrazy1 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have put together a Play and Gapps suite installer for the Alpha 2 ICS . Voice Search, Play, Talk all work.

DIRECT DOWNLOAD

EDIT: Added direct link

#6 ·
Unzip it. There is an instructions file. IF you already have ADB drivers installed on your PC use the USB method. If you don't then install the ADB wirless and use the wireless .cmd file.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have put together a Play and Gapps suite installer for the Alpha 2 ICS . Voice Search, Play, Talk all work.
Getting "cannot stat '.xml': No such file or directory" error from "adb" on the line that pushes ".xml", shouldn't this line be changed from this:

Code:
adb push com.google.android.maps.xml /system/etc/permissions<br />
adb shell chmod 777 /system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml<br />
adb push com.google.android.media.effects.xml /system/etc/permissions<br />
adb shell chmod 777 /system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.media.effects.xml<br />
REM ---vvv---<br />
adb push .xml /system/etc/permissions<br />
adb shell chmod 777 /system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.media.effects.xml<br />
REM ---^^^---<br />
adb push features.xml /system/etc/permissions<br />
adb shell chmod 777 /system/etc/permissions/features.xml
to this?:

Code:
adb push com.google.android.maps.xml /system/etc/permissions<br />
adb shell chmod 777 /system/etc/permissions/com.google.android.maps.xml<br />
adb push com.google.android.media.effects.xml /system/etc/permissions<br />
REM ---vvv---<br />
adb push com.google.widevine.software.drm.xml /system/etc/permissions<br />
adb shell chmod 777 /system/etc/permissions/com.google.widevine.software.drm.xml<br />
REM ---^^^---<br />
adb push features.xml /system/etc/permissions<br />
adb shell chmod 777 /system/etc/permissions/features.xml
... and remove REM comments. However, then Maps doesn't run, and previously downloaded apps all get renamed to "com.google....", so I'm guessing that line didn't need to be there in the first place. "Play Store" still launches OK, however.

#10 ·
It's just a scrap left over from when I was changing the file, you can delete it or ignore the error.

#12 ·
I downloaded and unzipped this file. Nothing works. When I tried to install Talk.apk, I got Application was not installed. My only choice was to click on Done. Ditto for all the other apps.

Now, I am a bit confused because I was sent to this link as a solution to get Google Play to work with my Alpha2. So now what do I do?

#13 ·
Did you read the instructions? You don't run anything from the tablet, unless you are connecting wireless. Read the instruction text again and retry.

#16 ·
Yes or just follow the instructions and use ADB wireless. But I recommend USB as there are many tings you can do using the USB and the ADB.

#17 ·
Thanks for the hard work... right now when I plug in the device I get a message showing "Android" with red X saying "No Driver Found". I had downloaded and installed the ADB SDK but looks like the USB driver isn't pulled down yet. Pulling that down now and hopefully I can then get the Google Play to install.

#18 ·
The instructions say:

USB
Plug Your tablet into your computer via USB. Make sure you have USB debuggin enabled under System-Application-Developement.
Double click Install_Play_FullGapps_USB.cmd
But the unzipped file does not have a .cmd file named this. I see the following:

Install_UOTMOD_USB.cmd
Install_UOTMOD_Wireless.cmd

I am assuming the first file is what I really should be using... that correct?

Greg

#19 ·
Well... something went wrong and I had to reflash the Skypad Alpha 2. Not sure what happened, but I decided to not use this particular Google Play / Google Apps installer and use the other in the forum that appears to just be Google Play. It worked fine for me. Maybe something with the GAPPS that was in addition on this one caused a problem. Will never know since I don't have the time to try and diagnose what happened.

#20 ·
How come we can't just download the Google Play APK file (available in many places on the net) and install from tablet?

Besides the fact it doesn't seem to work as I have tested it... I have downloaded a few different versions and tried, but when you go to start it it loads and closes immediately.

I know you have your installer here that appears to work, but was just curious why we couldn't just install from their APK file.

Is there something special done with the different APK's you have bundled?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

#21 ·
Play is just a part of a suite of applications. The apk you download is an update, not all of the required files.

#24 ·
The Alpha 2 had 4.0.3 but they should be compatible. the info on Goo.im shows packages being 4.0.3-4. it is a little dated so it will need to update after it installs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.