• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 klikmaus

klikmaus

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

I have some progress to report....

First, if it's not a VERY BASIC question (like how to turn it on, how to mount the SD, etc...) DOPO customer service isn't going to be much help. I called and spoke with the technicians about how to boot into recovery mode. The response I received is that this unit does NOT have a recovery mode, and is a problem for them when they receive a unit for repair that won't fully boot. Their only option is replacing the whole board. Well, as the picture below shows... it DOES have a recovery mode! It't actually a two-step process (which after I found the first step I thought I screwed my device lol).
Step one: hold Volume UP while pushing the power button. (That's not a typo! Volume UP!)

It will briefly show the little penguin before displaying an image of the Green Android with it's chest panel open and a red triangle with an exclamation mark superimposed over that. This image is what made me nervous....

Step two: From that screen, press Volume UP, BACK, and Power AT THE SAME TIME. It is imperative that all three buttons are pushed at the same time or it doesn't work.

If you do this correctly, you will be in recovery.

Now... I'm not really certain how I am going to progress from this, I'm trying to get a bit more information from xda before I blindly start running commands in adb. If it's possible to use the same commands for ICS as is used in Gingerbread for gaining root.... We have definitive hope. If it's different... I could really use some help! LOL......

It would REALLY be nice if someone with a bit more knowledge than myself joins in and can contribute with this....

Attached Files

#22 gsuemnic

gsuemnic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:40 AM

Curious on the battery life per charge others are seeing on the DOPO MD-740

Seems like mine is using 25-30% per hour just watching vids & music from the SD card ? Yes, WIFI is on but no browsing and notifications are off. Even with WIFI off the battery drain rate seems high.

I'm thinking the average use time for a full charge is about 4 hours ?

Also when the battery gets low, about 20%, mine displays a warning that the battery needs charging , then powers down within seconds ?

#23 klikmaus

klikmaus

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

I haven't kept an eye on how long it takes to drain the battery but I have noticed that it shuts its self down when the battery level gets to about 20%.

The problem I am having right now (extremely frustrating) is it is not being recognized by adb. I need drivers!!!!!! All this device is being recognized as is external storage. (yes, USB debugging is on, etc...)

#24 reganf2000

reganf2000

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:42 PM

I have the older model, the MD-702, and i am curious what the differences in specs are. I was thinking about trying to load the 740 firmware on the 702 to see if it would play nice. Can anyone take a look at the model of the processor in the 740 and post it for me? I can't find it listed anywhere.

#25 klikmaus

klikmaus

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:44 PM

Well, no luck with getting any response from tech support via email. Generally I've been able to talk with someone when I call but it's obvious that their online support is non-existent. First thing Monday I will call (again) and bug them about getting adb-supported drivers.

I have found a work-around for the problem with apps that have a menu but no soft menu key. I ordered one of those small planner-size cases with a keyboard in it (I don't like the on-screen keyboards.. call me old-fashioned) and was tooling around when I "accidently" found that the menu key to the right of the spacebar WORKS! So... if you have this tablet and run across an application that requires the use of a physical menu button (which the DOPO MD740 does not have).... there IS a proven work-around to that.

I picked up my keyboard-case off of amazon for around ten bucks. I will point out that (at least the one I ordered) these cheap keyboards come with a standard size USB plug, not mini. So if you get one of these keyboard cases... you will need a "Female USB to male miniUSB" adapter to go with it. Those run around three bucks, shipped from Hong Kong. OR..... if you're crafty.... you can take the case apart at the keyboard (it's just chinaglued together, easy to do), solder a mini-USB wire onto the board (after removing the old plug and wire), and reassemble it. I re glued mine back together with hot melt glue and it's holding fine, but I am going to go back and actually SEW the assembly together.

Another point of interest, especially for retro gamers. 4.0.3 has a USB host mode in the settings. With that enabled (which you need to do to get the tablet to recognize the keyboard too), the tablet recognizes USB game controllers. JohnNES and SuperGNES work well on this tablet (though SuperGNES is a TAD bit slow, I'm working that out).

I'll keep my progress posted here as I progress in finding out what all the MD 740 is capable of. Hopefully sometime soon I (we) get a break in the driver issue!

#26 klikmaus

klikmaus

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:11 AM

Progress made and *setback*

I found drivers that work.
http://forum.xda-dev...45&postcount=48

****NOTE!!****

The drivers work with the device in download mode (fastboot? Whatever it is that the computer will acknowledge the device but not boot up-- hold "Vol+", Vol-", and power all at the same time while plugging in the USB). The RKAndroidTool recognizes the device but following the instructions for installing the CM7 kernel has not been successful with this particular tablet yet! At the moment I only have a solid white screen and can not even boot into recovery mode. I've drained my battery trying to get past this issue so I'm calling it a night and will be back at it again in the morning.

If any of you guys have managed to find a way to get a copy of the stock system files.... That was one thing I didn't do :(

#27 98clru

98clru

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:02 AM

...and has Google play pre-installed ? ...

Please confirm has play out of box. I have a pandigital planet,and although it's adequate, it's a pain to side load or deal with amazon. I wind up using the apk's off my sd from my g2x to deal with most of the apps I want can't get thru amazon, for $120 it might be worth the expense to have capacitive and google play. Think it was this unit that a post said hulu works well, if so that's pretty powerful. Thanks

#28 furby

furby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

Please confirm has play out of box. I have a pandigital planet,and although it's adequate, it's a pain to side load or deal with amazon. I wind up using the apk's off my sd from my g2x to deal with most of the apps I want can't get thru amazon, for $120 it might be worth the expense to have capacitive and google play. Think it was this unit that a post said hulu works well, if so that's pretty powerful. Thanks

Yes it it updates to google play at first load :)

#29 furby

furby

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 06:35 PM

I have been trying to root this as well with no luck. All adb based programs hang at "daemon started successfully". After reading around on RK29xx and RK2918 based tablets It looks like it might be the format of the filesystem so it may need to be changed before adb root. does anybody know how to do this? It sounds like you have to modify the firmware. I did find a copy of the firmware on Double Power Technologys website but I am having issues unpacking it using different versions of rockdev using the "AFPTools -unpack update.img unpacked" command. It always fails the file check. The closest I got was using RK29xxImageTools_v2.1(click file then download) and using the "Runme" batch file after renaming the .img file to wendal.img.(it appears that it unpacks to a temp folder) not really sure what to do after this. anybody know what to do next or have a better method? This firmware loads in recovery mode so maybe we can just modify it so we have a rooted firmware upgrade. Is that possible?

#30 klikmaus

klikmaus

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:35 AM

Welcome to the thread furby!

Actually, I haven't had any luck with modding this device either. I've tried rockdev and managed to get to to go through the steps of loading the files.... which ended up bricking my tablet. I found how to get this unit to boot into recovery with the stock rom a while back but it's recovery doesn't allow for flashing custom software. There may be a way to make a custom rom look like an update (update.zip), do you know how to do that?

I still have a strong suspicion that the firmware for this device has been copied from another existing device and if we can find out device that is-- and if IT has been rooted-- it MAY be possible to use that devices exploit on out own tablets.

#31 Droidix

Droidix

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:59 PM

if we can find out device that is-- and if IT has been rooted-- it MAY be possible to use that devices exploit on out own tablets.

Hello everyone, I just rooted my DOPO MD-740 and since I had followed the discussion on this thread hoping that someone would come up with a way to root my device I figured I would share what I have found with you all. It turns out that the DOPO DP-740 is a Chinese device marketed under different names. The original name of the device seems to be "Full AOSP RK29sdk".

Once I figured out the technical name assigned by the manufacturer a quick search led me to this post by a dutch gentleman on the xda-developers forum(last post on this page http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1673161) which includes a step by step report of how he rooted his device.

I need to warn you that this process is not for a newbie as it requires editing some code among other things, but it worked for me and I now have root access to my device. I have not attempted to set the device up to use the external 32gb sd card as the primary yet... that will be next.

One final note: I hit one snag wile following the instructions that had to do with my computer recognizing the device after customizing the Android drivers (Step 16 on page 3 of baudi's instructions included in his post). When entering the "adb devices" command my win7 machine would tell me that it did not recognize adb as a valid command.
I found a solution for this problem here: http://www.theandroi...ows-linux-mac/.

THIS HAS WORKED FOR ME BUT I CANNOT GUARANTEE IT WILL WORK FOR EVERYONE AND I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT A NOVICE FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS AS THE POTENTIAL FOR PERMANENT DAMAGE IS GREAT!

Good luck!

#32 Droidix

Droidix

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hello again,

as promised in my last post I have now set up my DOPO MD-740 to use the 32GB external SD as the primary SD (/mnt/sd) so that when I transfer my apps to SD, they are moved to the external SD card rather than the internal one. The internal SD (with the 2gb of space) is now mounted as external (/mnt/external_sd).

Here is what I did:

• Your DOPO device needs to be ROOTED for this to work(see my previous post for instructions)
  • Download "Root Browser" app from the market
  • Connect your device to your computer and mount it in USB mode so you have access to the two sd cards from the computer.
  • Create a copy of your external sd card content on your computer (copy the contents of each SD card to a folder on your desktop), then format your external sd card with a FAT file system (DO NOT FORMAT THE INTERNAL SD CARD)
  • Once your external sd is formatted copy all the files from your "internal SD" card to your external sd card so that they are now identical - DO NOT DELETE THE CONTENTS OF THE INTERNAL SD CARD YET- Once you are done with this process your tablet will "think" that your external sd card is the internal SD so it will look at the external SD for the data that was on the internal SD card such as the apps you have moved to SD and their data, so it is important for the contents of two cards to be identical at this point)
  • Un-mount the device from USB so the SD cards are now mounted back on the device
  • Open "root Browser". It should open to the root directory, if not, navigate to the top directory.
  • In the root directory locate the brown folder called "ect" and open it.
  • Find the file called vold.fstab (probably the last file in the folder). Copy and paste it to the root directory so you now have a back up of the file(long press it to get the copy command). This will create a back up and in case something goes wrong you can paste this file back in the "etc" folder overriding the new version you will be creating in the steps below and go back to your original settings.
  • Once you have created a backup of the vold.fstab file, long press the "etc" folder icon
  • In the pop up option menu select "Permissions" and make sure that the the three boxes in the "Write" column are checked then press OK
  • Now open the "etc" folder and tap the "vold.fstab" file.
  • Tap "edit" from the popup menu, this will open it as an editable text file.
  • The file is not big, locate the following 2 lines of text:
    "dev_mount flash/mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9"
    "dev_mount sdcard/mnt/external_sd auto/devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0"
  • Change the following:

from this:
    dev_mount flash/mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
    dev_mount sdcard/mnt/external_sd auto/devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0

to this:
    dev_mount flash/mnt/external_sd auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd9/mtdblock9
    dev_mount sdcard/mnt/sdcard auto/devices/platform/rk29_sdmmc.0/mmc_host/mmc0
  • Make sure your spelling is correct and you are editing the proper lines of code as the different lines look alike (read the whole string to make sure you are on the right line).
  • Once you are done editing exit and save the file

Your device will now look at the external sd card thinking it is the internal sd giving you up to 32gb of usable storage for your apps, their data and all of your media. You can now delete the contents of the internal SD and use that storage the same way you would have used the external sd before this change. I would recommend creating a folder on the external SD to be used as your directory for personal content (pics, videos, music, etc) and separate it from the content that will be stored there form the device (apps, apps data, etc...) so that if one day you need to replace the SD, back it up or you need to delete stuff to create space you will now what's a "system folder" and what is data you have added yourself.

DISCLAIMER:
AS FOR THE INSTRUCTIONS TO ROOT THE DOPO MD-704 ABOVE: I DISCLAIM ALL RESPONSIBILITY FOR DAMAGE TO YOUR DEVICE THAT MIGHT RESULT FROM THESE INSTRUCTIONS. WHAT HAS WORKED FOR ME MIGHT NOT WORK FOR YOU. USE THE INFORMATION FROM THIS POST AT YOUR OWN RISK AND CREATE A COMPLETE BACKUP OF YOUR FILES AND DEVICE BEFORE YOU START.

Edited by Droidix, 08 July 2012 - 11:02 AM.

#33 bobofthebean

bobofthebean

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:44 AM

I have some progress to report....

First, if it's not a VERY BASIC question (like how to turn it on, how to mount the SD, etc...) DOPO customer service isn't going to be much help. I called and spoke with the technicians about how to boot into recovery mode. The response I received is that this unit does NOT have a recovery mode, and is a problem for them when they receive a unit for repair that won't fully boot. Their only option is replacing the whole board. Well, as the picture below shows... it DOES have a recovery mode! It't actually a two-step process (which after I found the first step I thought I screwed my device lol).
Step one: hold Volume UP while pushing the power button. (That's not a typo! Volume UP!)

It will briefly show the little penguin before displaying an image of the Green Android with it's chest panel open and a red triangle with an exclamation mark superimposed over that. This image is what made me nervous....

Step two: From that screen, press Volume UP, BACK, and Power AT THE SAME TIME. It is imperative that all three buttons are pushed at the same time or it doesn't work.

If you do this correctly, you will be in recovery.

Now... I'm not really certain how I am going to progress from this, I'm trying to get a bit more information from xda before I blindly start running commands in adb. If it's possible to use the same commands for ICS as is used in Gingerbread for gaining root.... We have definitive hope. If it's different... I could really use some help! LOL......

It would REALLY be nice if someone with a bit more knowledge than myself joins in and can contribute with this....

i am following your posts i have the same problem and had to do a hard reset also have you gotten any new info i would like to update to jb

#34 bobofthebean

bobofthebean

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 07:56 AM

I have the older model, the MD-702, and i am curious what the differences in specs are. I was thinking about trying to load the 740 firmware on the 702 to see if it would play nice. Can anyone take a look at the model of the processor in the 740 and post it for me? I can't find it listed anywhere.

the 702

* 1GHz Rockchip 2918 processor
* 4GB on-board storage memory
* 7" touchscreen, 800 x 480 resolution
* Built-in Wi-Fi

Additional Features:

* Mini-USB ports, microSD card slot, HDMI port, earphone input
* 4GB on-board storage memory, up to 32GB additional memory via SD card slot
* 1080p HD video playback
* Rechargeable lithium-ion polymer battery
* 7.7" x 4.6" x 0.55" dimensions

Software and Applications:

* Android 2.3 OS
* Included eBook reader
* Pre-installed Amazon App Store
* Plays most popular video, music, photo formats

the the 740
Technical Specifications:

* 1.2GHz processor
* 1GB of system memory and 4GB on-board storage memory
* 7" Multi-Touch Screen, 800 x 480 resolution
* Built-in 802.11b/g/n WiFi

Additional Features:

* Front webcam
* 4GB on-board storage memory, up to 32GB additional memory via microSD card slot
* 1080p HD video playback
* Rechargeable Lithium-Polymer battery
* Mini-USB port, microSD card slot, HDMI port, earphone input
* Weighs 1.1 lbs; 7.8" x 4.6" x 0.55" dimensions

Software and Applications:

* Android 4.0 OS (Ice Cream Sandwich)
* Amazon Appstore
* eBook reader

#35 bobofthebean

bobofthebean

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:10 AM

Progress made and *setback*

I found drivers that work.
http://forum.xda-dev...45&postcount=48

****NOTE!!****

The drivers work with the device in download mode (fastboot? Whatever it is that the computer will acknowledge the device but not boot up-- hold "Vol+", Vol-", and power all at the same time while plugging in the USB). The RKAndroidTool recognizes the device but following the instructions for installing the CM7 kernel has not been successful with this particular tablet yet! At the moment I only have a solid white screen and can not even boot into recovery mode. I've drained my battery trying to get past this issue so I'm calling it a night and will be back at it again in the morning.

If any of you guys have managed to find a way to get a copy of the stock system files.... That was one thing I didn't do :(

its right on there web site http://doublepowerte...om/Support.html to download firm ware i hope this is what you wanted

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users