Photo

T15 users with charger problems read this!!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Sudden Death

Sudden Death

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Locationthe Netherlands

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

TAKE CARE MALFUNCTIONING CHARGERS CAN CAUSE FIRE.
I HAVE REPORTS OF ONE MELTING!!
THIS COULD HAVE CAUSED A FIRE IF THE USER WASN'T A T HOME!!

If your charger doesn't work throw it away.
Buy a universal one with the same specs 5v 2000mA (2A) the amperage is minimum and could be a little higher so 2,5A should give no problem either, the battery will charge faster. But don't go to high LiPo battery's can cause fire if they burst.
Using higher voltage might cause the circuits inside to be damaged.
Let other users know what universal charger you bought and what worked.

#2 baba420

baba420

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:28 AM

Oh my god. It seems that buying this Chinese toy is going to be one of my biggest mistakes.
Kat in het zak. haha

#3 Sudden Death

Sudden Death

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:46 AM

1334489309[/url]' post='349644']
Oh my god. It seems that buying this Chinese toy is going to be one of my biggest mistakes.
Kat in het zak. haha

The problem actually cam from another dutch user. =-)We are well presented here.

#4 Phishcake

Phishcake

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:49 AM

Had zero problems with my charger but was going to get a universal one anyway to reduce bulk of an adaptor. I don't leave I charging overnight though.

Will get one soon.

#5 Sudden Death

Sudden Death

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:01 AM

1334494191[/url]' post='349660']
Had zero problems with my charger but was going to get a universal one anyway to reduce bulk of an adaptor. I don't leave I charging overnight though.

Will get one soon.

Mine as well works perfect. But thought it was a good idea not to wait for the other users comment to be approved, and risk someone's house burning down. I normally do leave it charging overnight.

#6 DroidNine

DroidNine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

I didn't get the choice to try the factory charger, they sent me the wrong country adapter! Luckily I found a 5v 3amp plug pack at work, and just soldered the factory 2.5mm plug onto the end of it. I also don't get the problem with the tablet not charging when using it like some others have.

#7 Rustycage

Rustycage

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

My charger never worked from the start. Found an old cell phone charger that works but its only 1 amp so its slow. If anyone has a good universal suggestion please post.

Sent from my SmartQT15 using Tapatalk 2

#8 DroidNine

DroidNine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:08 AM

I didn't get the choice to try the factory charger, they sent me the wrong country adapter! Luckily I found a 5v 3amp plug pack at work, and just soldered the factory 2.5mm plug onto the end of it. I also don't get the problem with the tablet not charging when using it like some others have.

Actually I'm not so sure about the plug size. If anyone does get a universal wall charger, can they reply back with which plug fits?

#9 LVL

LVL

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

I really don't recommend you using the 5V 3A charger. I think the standard charger is 2A or 2.5A, this is MAXIMUM. You can always charge with a lower current, but a higher current might cause overheating and damage to the internal components. The components inside have been made for 2A or 2.5A only. 3A would probably work just fine, but this could reduce the lifespan of your tablet. Just to let you know!

#10 DroidNine

DroidNine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:45 PM

I really don't recommend you using the 5V 3A charger. I think the standard charger is 2A or 2.5A, this is MAXIMUM. You can always charge with a lower current, but a higher current might cause overheating and damage to the internal components. The components inside have been made for 2A or 2.5A only. 3A would probably work just fine, but this could reduce the lifespan of your tablet. Just to let you know!

Any particular reason you don't recommend a larger charger? The T15 uses the TI 6030B107 for internal power management and charging (the same as the Nook Color and Kindle Fire). Interestingly it calls for a maximum input voltage of 4.8v, and internally limits the charging current to 1.5A.

As you would know, current is drawn not pushed. Just because the charger can provide up to 3A at 5V (and it is regulated mind you), doesn't mean the charging circuitry is going to pull 3A. Assuming you stick to the minimum and maximum input voltages, I'm not sure why using a charger with a higher current ability could cause any internal damage what so ever. I am happy to get a few chargers and put a multimeter across them and test it if you would like further clarification. I am all ears if you can provide the electrical theory behind your response, or provide additional details of the internal battery charging circuitry.

Disclaimer: of course I won't be held responsible for any damage anyone does to their device.

#11 Rustycage

Rustycage

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

Any particular reason you don't recommend a larger charger? The T15 uses the TI 6030B107 for internal power management and charging (the same as the Nook Color and Kindle Fire). Interestingly it calls for a maximum input voltage of 4.8v, and internally limits the charging current to 1.5A.

As you would know, current is drawn not pushed. Just because the charger can provide up to 3A at 5V (and it is regulated mind you), doesn't mean the charging circuitry is going to pull 3A. Assuming you stick to the minimum and maximum input voltages, I'm not sure why using a charger with a higher current ability could cause any internal damage what so ever. I am happy to get a few chargers and put a multimeter across them and test it if you would like further clarification. I am all ears if you can provide the electrical theory behind your response, or provide additional details of the internal battery charging circuitry.

Disclaimer: of course I won't be held responsible for any damage anyone does to their device.

I'd looked into this before and came across this pretty informative post on another forum

http://androidforums...tml#post3445733

Edited by Rustycage, 16 April 2012 - 10:53 PM.

#12 DroidNine

DroidNine

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 12:28 AM

I'd looked into this before and came across this pretty informative post on another forum

http://androidforums...tml#post3445733

You are right, it's a great post and has great information about charging LiPO's. However I don't really think its relevant in this scenario. The TI chipset is what handles the charging of the battery. The wall charger is just there to provide the voltage and current required by the charge controller. A diagram of the controller set up can be found here.

The real question here is how SmartQ have configured the settings for the TWL6030.

#13 Sudden Death

Sudden Death

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 04:49 AM

Indeed when charging a LiPo directly there are certain rules you need to adhere to. Most LiPo's can be charged with maximum 1C which means for our 7500mAh battery it can be charged with 7,5A and will be fully charged in about an hour when the LiPo is fully empty (What you never want as this will exhaust the LiPo, general rule is to use it until 30% charge is left and then fully charge it). I fly RC helicopters and they all use LiPo 's so I'm used to charging these.
My Battery's can be charged with 2C so that means for my 5000mAh battery it can be charged with 10A and will be completely charged within half an hour. Nowdays there are even 5C LiPo's.

Using LiPo cells in series adds the voltages so a single cell 1000mAh LiPo is rated for 3,7V a 6 cell battery pack in series is rated for 22,2V at 1000mAh.
Using LiPo's in parallel will add the amperage so a single cell 1000mAh LiPo is rated for 1000mAh a 6 cell battery pack in parallel is rated for 6000mAh at 3,7V.

So in the case of directly charging a LiPo current will be pushed by the charger.

Our device uses a 1 Cell LiPo of 7500mAh but it has a chipset that controls all input to the battery. So in this case the current will be drawn from the charger as the chipset controls what is being forwarded to the battery.
This chipset also will make sure the LiPo is charged according the charging rules, I guess. So when the chipset says it's empty the battery itself will be 30% full to keep it in best condition.
The chipset will also allow for more margin of chargers but they are not unlimited so stay as close as possible to the original units.

Sorry if I got a bit technical there.

Edited by Sudden Death, 23 April 2012 - 03:49 AM.

#14 Vector66

Vector66

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationCentral PA, USA

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:20 PM

Yes knowing which chargers will work will be great. I want something with a longer cord. Please post links if you find something

Sent from my TEN 3 using Tapatalk 2

#15 rc_mrk

rc_mrk

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:22 PM

While all this technical talk makes for interesting reading for those who aren't into electronics and familiar with Lipo's, it may also be a bit confusing. I'm a Mechatronics Engineer, and I design and build circuits like this, and am also into RC with a number of high performance Lipo powered models, so from that you can make up your own mind as to whether or not you want to listen to my advice.

The so called "charger" that comes with your T15 is nothing more than a very basic 5V 2Amp DC power supply that provides voltage and current to the Lipo charging circuit that is built into the T15, and being a Chinese tablet it is a very cheap and nasty power supply at that. (however mine is still currently holding up) To replace the standard "charger" all you need is a power supply that will provide 5V DC and at "least" 2A (obviously you need a connector that will fit the T15 as well) If you get a power supply that provides less than 2A it may still charge the tablet at the same or slower rate, but this would not be ideal as it would be working the power supply to its maximum while charging. If you get a power supply that provides more than 2A you will not see any problems, or hurt your tablet in any way, as the internal Lipo charging circuit will only draw as much current from the power supply as it needs. So the bottom line is that any power supply that provides 5V DC and 2A or more will be a perfectly suitable replacement for the standard "charger".

@Sudden Death: Nice basic overview of Lipo's for the uninformed, however just a slight correction so that others reading don't get confused, is that you have your series and parallel examples backwards. Connecting parallel (that is positive terminal to positive terminal and negative terminal to negative terminal) will add the amperage giving you greater capacity at the same voltage, and connecting in series (positive terminal to negative terminal) will add the voltages giving you a higher overall voltage at the same capacity. I don't mean to stick my nose in but would just hate to see someone connect things up incorrectly and damage their electronics :D

#16 Sudden Death

Sudden Death

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:50 AM

@Sudden Death: Nice basic overview of Lipo's for the uninformed, however just a slight correction so that others reading don't get confused, is that you have your series and parallel examples backwards. Connecting parallel (that is positive terminal to positive terminal and negative terminal to negative terminal) will add the amperage giving you greater capacity at the same voltage, and connecting in series (positive terminal to negative terminal) will add the voltages giving you a higher overall voltage at the same capacity. I don't mean to stick my nose in but would just hate to see someone connect things up incorrectly and damage their electronics :D

Woops, how did I not see that. It's changed now.

Thanks!!

#17 kolk11

kolk11

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:21 AM

THis is what I ordered

ICIDU AC-DC Adapter 5V-2A,240V DC Plug 2.5x1.0mm, 1.5m cable

Hoping it will fit into the connector if not i will solder the connector of the melted one to this new adapter.

Costs 5€ incl shipping within the Netherlands.

http://www.dynabyte....5v-2a-240v.html

Als found usb cable to charge it with and I guess this will do aswell costs 11,65 incl shipping to europe

http://www.123bestde...mm-pin-(stekker).html

Edited by kolk11, 23 April 2012 - 01:32 PM.

#18 Vector66

Vector66

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationCentral PA, USA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:49 PM

Thanks for the info

Sent from my TEN 3 using Tapatalk 2

#19 Rustycage

Rustycage

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:12 PM

Strange. The issue I was having with my initial charger is being repeated with the replacement. With the stock charger I plugged it in, the SmartQ logo pops up then it cycles to the battery logo and the green center cycle starts, then the whole thing stalls out and repeats with the SmartQ logo, etc. I assumed this had something to do with an incomplete circuit or something along those lines (I'm not going to try to touch the level of battery knowledge that has been laid down in this thread so far! :lol: ).

Regardless, I never got a charge into the battery. At the time, Hotmid agreed to send me a new charger and I then found an old cell phone power supply that works fine, though its only 1Amp. If I plug it in, the battery logo stays up and cycles for a while, then it just goes to "sleep" unless I tap the power button.

New charger just showed up and does exactly the same thing the original one did? Based on this thread I was going to buy a new one anyway but its interesting that I'm seeing the same issue with a different unit.

#20 Silviu D.

Silviu D.

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationIasi, Romania

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:13 AM

Awesome...more and more issues...good Lord did this lame company do anything right???? Touch-screen : fail, charger : fail, camera : fail, play store: fail and the list grows ever larger. Really disappointing....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users