White PDN (SH20 series FW) New Users LOOK HERE

• Please log in to reply
726 replies to this topic

#701 aoppen

aoppen

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Can you please tell me why every time I try to download anything it gives me a parsing error? I have a whit Pandigital PRD07T10WWH7. I can't even update the slide me. This is very frustrating!!

#702 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,251 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

Can you please tell me why every time I try to download anything it gives me a parsing error? I have a whit Pandigital PRD07T10WWH7. I can't even update the slide me. This is very frustrating!!

Parsing errors happen when your android version is lower than the app requires. Which FW is on your WPDN?
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#703 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,251 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

Not sure if i am in the right place, so please bear with me...

Definitely the wrong place... saw you did make a post in the 2012FW help thread and your sig line...

...After reading through the wiki for the white pdn (wpdn) and figuring out that i have the SH 20 series fw,

Definitely bears repeating this is the wrong thread because you do NOT have SH20 series FW ... you have 2012 series FW...

...i was getting ready to read theough some more to figure out where/how i can possibly download google market to get the kindle app when i opened my novel and the words are much different to what i have seen so far. so to make sure i am in the right place and heading in the right direction i need a little help...snip...

Check the link at bottom of my reply...

...FIRMWARE VIRSION: PDC1_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP ...snip...
Edit: ahhhhh I get it now after researching some more, and using google with different words, i think i get it now mine is SH20_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP right?

WRONG! Please read through Zeppelinman_2000's topic (the same FW/different model number) here: R7T40WBLF0 - PDC1_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

Good luck.

"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#704 ReconMarine

ReconMarine

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 01:41 AM

Search is your friend: EStrongs Website ES File Explorer

So why wouldn't you update the Wiki to include this information about the alternate ES Explorer? that way there wouldn't be the need for the added questions.

I see many posts where admins and moderators say "search is your friend" or "read this - read that" and then when the OP shows that in fact they did read first and the information was either wrong, contrived, or just completely unintelligible due to the poor grammar and structure, the next excuse is "oh well go here".

This forum while filled with EXCELLENT and MASSIVE amounts of information is poorly organized and deeply out of date. Much of this information needs to be rewritten, reorganized, stickied in a chronological fashion, and older information needs to be outdated and archived.

If FW source is not 100% reliable then it needs to be removed and placed into a beta testers forum until it is stable and fool proof for the public, then the "Oh I bricked my device" comments would diminish greatly.

A SINGLE THREAD with the LATEST and Admin approved FW, with all the relevant flashes and add-ons should be the TOP sticky in a HELP section; that thread should also include a step by step tutorial on the process for completing the task.

EACH AREA SHOULD HAVE A STICKY, from WiFi to B&N, etc, etc...explaining the process and issues that make them work properly.

There should be a HELP SECTION with INDIVIDUAL threads dealing with SPECIFIC SUBJECTS, I.E. "Help FW" - "Help WiFi" - "Help Kindle", etc, etc...

This thread is 36 pages long and has become completely unintelligible due to the multiple conversations covering the same subject at various stages.

This "Three post" rule, is ludicrous and needs to be ended, people do not come to a forum with problems to sit around for three or four days waiting for a moderator to determine if you are going to participate or move on....how would you like it if you had to be placed on hold for 4 hours before a support tech came to answer your call? How do you feel when your power goes out or your phone goes down and you are told on FRIDAY that nobody can come out until MONDAY.....not cool is it? You don't answer most of the questions that are posted in this forum anyway,....so why should it matter if that question is made in the 1st post or the 4th post?

With the forum properly formatted the "I need help" threads would dwindle anyway...

Admins and Moderators should NEVER make asinine comments, derogatory or demeaning or repetitive posts about "Go here and Read this!" or "Search is your friend",... Search may in fact be your friend, but only when you are searching a user friendly, organized, and competently produced environment.

In many cases this forum has devolved from that...

I posted a thread several days ago, and I suppose because it was not placed in this thread as a post, it is forum policy to ignore the thread:

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/42740-help-wpdn-i-am-missing-something/page__p__471999__fromsearch__1#entry471999

Due to the fact that the thread has been completely ignored, I have in fact found much of the information on my own....but it took days to do it, looking through multiple threads and individual posts; that is completely outrageous and unprofessional of a project like this where the object is to HELP PEOPLE.

So... I will again make my post and see what comes from it.

So on to my issue,...

I have a WPDN with SH20 0302 straight out of the box, I upgraded with Kewlguy's 2.1.0 FW and 2.1.1 GAPPS FW updates and I have not had an issue with the operation of the device. I do have some "kinks" I need some help with:

Once I rebooted from the FW upgrade I had a box pop up asking me if I wanted to load from the default Android SDK or a Startup file... I did not see any information on this in the instruction set, so I allowed the device to load with the default option; was that the right course of action?

The first time I started up the device and went to the Market, it loaded fine, but after I logged out and tried to go back I get a server cannot be found error (yes I am connected to wifi), any ideas on this problem?

If i go to Google play and try to DL an app All goes well to the point where I hit the final DL option and then it just sits there. As well it asks where I want the app DLed to, and when I click the drop down box there is only ONE OPTION (greyed out) for a phone, it does not seem to think there is a tablet present. Any idea on what I am doing wrong there?

So far those are the only issues I have run into, any help would be appreciated.

Thank you so much

RM

What I discovered on my own after hours, and days of searching..

I figured out how to get the marketplace functioning properly without the server error, but I am still having issues with the apps not parsing out properly, and I have NO CLUE what to do to fix that issue.

It took two days of digging through old threads to find one that tells you "parsing" errors are due to the app being designed for the Android OS greater than 2.0

That information right there should be one of, if not the TOP ITEM on the list of information people need to know,...it would save hours of searching and massive amounts of questions being asked.

I still have specific questions:

What else should I do beyond the KG FW updates I have used?
Where is "the" Kindle app? Because I cannot find the official app in the Market place.
Why can't I get the Amazon app store to install?

I know there are repositories of apps known to work with PDN, but HOW do you DL them outside of a Market? (this should be a tutorial sticky)

Thank you

RM

#705 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,251 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

So why wouldn't you update the Wiki to include this information about the alternate ES Explorer? that way there wouldn't be the need for the added questions.

In the wiki here -- http://www.slatedroi...tle=Backup_apps

I see many posts where admins and moderators say "search is your friend" or "read this - read that" and then when the OP shows that in fact they did read first and the information was either wrong, contrived, or just completely unintelligible due to the poor grammar and structure, the next excuse is "oh well go here".

Which is why one needs to read the whole thread in some cases. Problems with search? Look here: http://www.slatedroi...ing-slatedroid/

This forum while filled with EXCELLENT and MASSIVE amounts of information is poorly organized and deeply out of date. Much of this information needs to be rewritten, reorganized, stickied in a chronological fashion, and older information needs to be outdated and archived.

If FW source is not 100% reliable then it needs to be removed and placed into a beta testers forum until it is stable and fool proof for the public, then the "Oh I bricked my device" comments would diminish greatly.

A SINGLE THREAD with the LATEST and Admin approved FW, with all the relevant flashes and add-ons should be the TOP sticky in a HELP section; that thread should also include a step by step tutorial on the process for completing the task.

EACH AREA SHOULD HAVE A STICKY, from WiFi to B&N, etc, etc...explaining the process and issues that make them work properly.

There should be a HELP SECTION with INDIVIDUAL threads dealing with SPECIFIC SUBJECTS, I.E. "Help FW" - "Help WiFi" - "Help Kindle", etc, etc...

This thread is 36 pages long and has become completely unintelligible due to the multiple conversations covering the same subject at various stages.

Are you volunteering to reorganize the forums/posts/wiki? Or are you telling me to do this with almost 3 year old information that you seem to have problems searching through?

This "Three post" rule, is ludicrous and needs to be ended, people do not come to a forum with problems to sit around for three or four days waiting for a moderator to determine if you are going to participate or move on....how would you like it if you had to be placed on hold for 4 hours before a support tech came to answer your call? How do you feel when your power goes out or your phone goes down and you are told on FRIDAY that nobody can come out until MONDAY.....not cool is it? You don't answer most of the questions that are posted in this forum anyway,....so why should it matter if that question is made in the 1st post or the 4th post?

With the forum properly formatted the "I need help" threads would dwindle anyway...

Admins and Moderators should NEVER make asinine comments, derogatory or demeaning or repetitive posts about "Go here and Read this!" or "Search is your friend",... Search may in fact be your friend, but only when you are searching a user friendly, organized, and competently produced environment.

In many cases this forum has devolved from that...

I posted a thread several days ago, and I suppose because it was not placed in this thread as a post, it is forum policy to ignore the thread:

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/42740-help-wpdn-i-am-missing-something/page__p__471999__fromsearch__1#entry471999

Due to the fact that the thread has been completely ignored, I have in fact found much of the information on my own....but it took days to do it, looking through multiple threads and individual posts; that is completely outrageous and unprofessional of a project like this where the object is to HELP PEOPLE.

So... I will again make my post and see what comes from it.

What I discovered on my own after hours, and days of searching..

That information right there should be one of, if not the TOP ITEM on the list of information people need to know,...it would save hours of searching and massive amounts of questions being asked.

I still have specific questions:

What else should I do beyond the KG FW updates I have used?
Where is "the" Kindle app? Because I cannot find the official app in the Market place.
Why can't I get the Amazon app store to install?

I know there are repositories of apps known to work with PDN, but HOW do you DL them outside of a Market? (this should be a tutorial sticky)

Thank you

RM

I do have a life and am not employed by pandigital or sld/never have been... The three post "rule" has been changed and we are currently awaiting a software upgrade from the site owners.

Thanks for appreciating and respecting all the hours of work and time the members have voluntarily contributed to help you make your pdn a better device and congratulations on your hours of searching.

Please accept my apologies if you are feeling ignored and understand that we just had the New Year's Holiday so myself and other members may have been occupied with our own lives and not racing to the forum to help you with your pdn.

1. Whatever you want to do
2. Kindle app http://www.amazon.co...ords=kindle app
3. Try an older version.

P.S. Read through the first post again for app installation instructions...
click here: http://www.slatedroi...sers-look-here/

Edited by mrsburnout, 02 January 2013 - 05:40 PM.
;) added link

Posted Image ~cheers

#706 Aj1851

Aj1851

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

defintely a newbie posting, i tried to update my white pdn using advice from another website and now i cant turn it on???? is there a way to fix this? any advice would be apreciated thank you!

#707 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,251 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

defintely a newbie posting, i tried to update my white pdn using advice from another website and now i cant turn it on???? is there a way to fix this? any advice would be apreciated thank you!

People - Please don't make us drag information from you. Like this guy :rolleyes: http://www.slatedroi...ally-need-help/

Need much more information since the 2012 FWs appeared..

White PDN Owners START HERE

REQUIRED Reading: PDN FW Development Board

POST NEWBIE QUESTIONS HERE

Announcement: ATTN: Pandigital Novel/Tablet Users

Wiki - Introduction to the Pandigital Novel

good luck and happy reading..

Posted Image ~cheers

#708 oldbuddy

oldbuddy

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

Thank you for all your hard work. Thus far the web site has educated me about tablets and what can be done with them. I hope to find more information so I can advance the white Pandigital I own to a new level.

Settings (continued from first post)

Posted ImageThis is the settings icon found in your app drawer. Tap this icon to access all setting functions.
Wireless & networks Including: Wi-Fi / Network notification / Wi-Fi Networks
WI-FI SETTINGS: In order to connect to the Internet, you must have a Wi-Fi network set up on your WPDN.
Wi-Fi On/Off: Wi-Fi must be turned on in order to connect to local Wi-Fi networks.
Network notification: When selected, you are notified when an open network is available.
Wi-Fi networks: When Wi-Fi is turned on, the device automatically scans and lists all local Wi-Fi networks found.
1. Tap the desired network to which you want to connect.
2. If the network is secure (indicated by a padlock icon), tap in the password entry field to enter the Network Password.
3. Tap Connect.
If your Wi-Fi broadcast is set as hidden, it won’t be found by the auto scan. Tap Add Network and then enter the network name and password tap Save.

The Wi-Fi icon on the notification bar indicates the status as follows:
Posted Image= Connected
Posted Image= Not connected, Wi-Fi turned ON
Posted Image= Not connected and Wi-Fi turned OFF (power saver)

When the WPDN goes into sleep mode, the Wi-Fi disconnects from the local network, but will automatically reconnect when out of sleep mode (may take up to 30 seconds to reconnect).

Connecting to Public Wi-Fi Hotspot
If you are connecting via a public Wi-Fi hotspot, it may be necessary to immediately launch the browser and provide the hotspot login information prior to having an active internet connection.
1. Follow step 1-3 above to select the hotspot Wi-Fi network.
2. Tap the Browser application icon. Posted Image
3. Enter the hotspot login information.

Forget remembered Wi-Fi Network: When you connect to a Wi-Fi network, the WPDN remembers the settings for future connections. If you have previously connected to networks that you no longer want “remembered”, tap on the network and select Forget. If the network you “forget” is secure, future connections require you to enter the network password again.

Advanced Wi-Fi Network Settings
To display advanced Wi-Fi network settings, in the Wi-Fi settings screen, tap [Menu] / Advanced.
Regulatory domain: Set the number of channels to use
Wi-Fi sleep policy: Specify when to switch from Wi-Fi to mobile data
MAC address Unavailable for the WPDN
Use static IP: When selected, you can set the IP address, Gateway, Netmask, DNS 1 and DNS2

Sound & display
Media Volume: to adjust the music and video volume, tap & slide Posted Image and then tap OK.
Audible selection: When selected, a sound is played when making screen selections.
SD card notifications: When selected, a tone sounds when a SD card is inserted or removed from the device.
Orientation: When selected, the orientation of the screen switches between Portrait (vertical) and Landscape (horizontal) automatically when you rotate the WPDN.
Animation: When selected, animations are shown when opening and closing windows.
Brightness: Tap & slide Posted Image to adjust the screen brightness as desired tap OK.
Touch Calibrate: If you notice that the touch screen is not responding accurately, you may need to re-calibrate the touch screen sensors.
*When Touch Calibrate is selected, the screen displays a blank screen with “+” in a specific location. Use a blunt pointed device to accurately tap the “+” in the designated spot. Repeat in 3 more screens that appear. If calibration is successful, you can resume normal use. If unsuccessful, repeat the calibration again.
Screen timeout: Adjust the delay before the screen automatically turns off (default = 10 minutes).

Location & security
Use wireless networks: Select if you want your location to be seen in applications (such as Maps) using wireless networks.
Use My Location: Select if you want to use My Location for Google search results and other Google services.
Visible passwords: When selected, the password shows as you enter it.
Install from SD card: Install encrypted certificates from SD card.
Set Password: Set or change the credential storage password.
Clear storage: N/A for this device.

Applications
Unknown sources: When selected, you are permitted to install other AndroidTM applications that you obtain from web sites, email, or other locations. Otherwise the Install blocked message appears.
Manage applications: Manage and remove installed applications.
WARNING! Making changes to applications can result in errors and failed launches. If you aren’t sure of what each setting is/does, it is recommend not to make changes.
Running services: View and control currently running services (i.e., Android keyboard, applications).
Development: Set options for application development.
USB debugging: When selected the device is in debug mode when USB is connected.
Stay awake: When selected the screen never goes into sleep mode while charging.
Allow mock locations: N/A for this device.
Privacy: Factory data reset: Reset the WPDN to its initial factory state, erasing all data and downloaded applications. Tap Reset Device to proceed with reset, or tap [Return icon] to cancel and return to previous screen.

WARNING! The following are erased during the factory reset: Google account / System and application data and settings / Downloaded applications / Your Adobe ID
The factory reset does NOT erase: Current system software and bundled applications / SD card files, such as music or photos

SD card & device storage Total space, Available space: Values appear when a SD card is inserted in device.
Unmount SD card: Tap to safely remove the SD card.
Format SD card: N/A for this device.
Internal storage, Available space: Amount of internal memory available.

Search (Google search settings) When selected, suggestions are shown from Google as you enter text.
Searchable items: Select if you want to choose what you want to search on the device when you use the Search feature.
Browser: When selected, you can search bookmarked web pages and web history.
Apps: When selected, you can search names of installed applications.
Contacts: When selected, you can search for contact names.
Music: When selected, you can search names of artists, albums and music tracts.

Language & keyboard
Select locale: Select the language and region according to your location.
Android keyboard: Select to use the AndroidTM keyboard for entering application data. If not selected, no keypad is presented for entering data.
Android keyboard settings: Select multiple settings to customize your keyboard behavior.
User dictionary: You can add words to a personal dictionary, words that may not be included in the default dictionary.

Date & time
Automatic: Select to use the network-provided values for the date, time zone and time.
Set date: Tap to set the current date; use the + or – to set the current date and then tap Set.
Select time zone: Tap to select the correct time zone for your location. (Finger slide vertically to scroll the list.)
Set time: Tap to set the correct time for your location; use the + or – to set the correct time according to your location and then tap Set.
Use 24-hour format: When selected, the time displays in 24-hour format instead of 12-hour.
12 = 12:00am-12:00pm (default) / 24 = 12:00-24:00
Select date format: Tap to select the desired date format for displaying your date at the top of the screen.
Normal (2011-12-31) (12/31/2011) (31/12/2011) (2011/12/31)

About Device
Battery use: View battery usage by application use.
Legal Information: View the Open source licenses.
Technical Information: The Model number, Firmware version, Kernel version, Build number and Device ID is located here.

Complete WPDN User guide mirrored Here

Complete WPDN User guide also mirrored Here (Thanks, Mark)

Okay, Topic now open for questions!

#709 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,251 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:19 AM

Thank you for all your hard work. Thus far the web site has educated me about tablets and what can be done with them. I hope to find more information so I can advance the white Pandigital I own to a new level.

Thanks for reading, oldbuddy.

Cheers~ :drinks:

Posted Image ~cheers

#710 LaSponge

LaSponge

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationMiami, Fl

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

Definitely the wrong place... saw you did make a post in the 2012FW help thread and your sig line...

Definitely bears repeating this is the wrong thread because you do NOT have SH20 series FW ... you have 2012 series FW...

Check the link at bottom of my reply...

WRONG! Please read through Zeppelinman_2000's topic (the same FW/different model number) here: R7T40WBLF0 - PDC1_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

Good luck.

Thank you it seems I still am not understanding the differences between certain things. Back I go to read and re read

Edited by LaSponge, 17 January 2013 - 04:06 PM.

can you walk me thru backing up my wpdn (fw and everything) on a sd card or even to my comp plz i am a little confused about it, i would like to try putting the market on it as well as the kindle app, i tried asking for help in the fourms, because i read thru the wiki and the other things pertaining to my wpdn but to be honest i don't understand the tech jargin, i know if i can get someone to help i will understand it better

if you need it
Model number: PD_NOVEL

FIRMWARE VIRSION: SH20_20120214_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP <---admin edit: there is no such FW /edit

KERNEL VERSION: 2.6.29 eric@ubuntu #1 THU JAN 5 15:52:10 CST 2012

BUILD NUMBER: PD_NOVEL 2012.02.14

ON BACK SHOWS MODEL NUMBER AS : R7T40WWHF2

#711 Robert Russell

Robert Russell

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 03:41 PM

Greetings
I am a newbie-newbie user. I've experienced some difficulty navigating the forums because of all the new user/newebie/white pandigital user/etc links. I don't know which one to read first. I'm just jumping around and it's not very helpful. Is there a hierarchy of links to read in a logic al order?

I have a white 7" Pandigital with SH20_20110114_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP firmware. The model is PD_Novel. Kernal version-2.6.29 This is below the Kernal version: morgan@morgan-desktop #1 Sat jan 8 16:13:31 CST 2011)

Build number: PD_Novel 2011.01.14

I really don't know what all of this means, so please show me where to stat and then where to go after that.

Thank You,
Robert

#712 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,251 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:57 AM

Greetings
I am a newbie-newbie user. I've experienced some difficulty navigating the forums because of all the new user/newebie/white pandigital user/etc links. I don't know which one to read first. I'm just jumping around and it's not very helpful. Is there a hierarchy of links to read in a logic al order?

I have a white 7" Pandigital with SH20_20110114_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP firmware. The model is PD_Novel. Kernal version-2.6.29 This is below the Kernal version: morgan@morgan-desktop #1 Sat jan 8 16:13:31 CST 2011)

Build number: PD_Novel 2011.01.14

I really don't know what all of this means, so please show me where to stat and then where to go after that.

Thank You,
Robert

Greetings Robert Russell -

1. Read the first two posts in this thread (yeah, the one you replied to) so you learn how to use your Novel. [Click here]

2. Before Hacking start with the Wiki - [Click Here]

3. Useful links already posted in the Start Here thread - [Click Here]

Good luck.

Posted Image ~cheers

#713 pandigi8

pandigi8

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:44 PM

thanks mrsburnout
for the summary. That will saves me a lot of time sifting through the different topix

#714 ScalierComa938

ScalierComa938

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:35 AM

If anyone is interested, I converted your guide to epub format to put on my PDN for quick reference. If anyone would like it I am happy to email it to you. Assuming this is ok with mrsburnout. Not trying to steal anyones work. The conversion clearly states who wrote it...Mods if this is not appropriate please remove. Thank you! BTW Nice Work!

*EDIT* Feel free to delete this. Your's is much more complete. Thanks!

I am interested in the epub formatted user's guide, if you still have it on hand. Message me if you get a chance, please.
~ScalierComa938

#715 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,251 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:50 PM

I am interested in the epub formatted user's guide, if you still have it on hand. Message me if you get a chance, please.
~ScalierComa938

The User Guides posted are already in epub format.
Check the links at bottom of the second post here: http://www.slatedroi...post__p__139689

...snip...

Complete WPDN User guide mirrored Here

Complete WPDN User guide also mirrored Here (Thanks, Mark)

Posted Image ~cheers

#716 ScalierComa938

ScalierComa938

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:30 PM

Thanks for the reply and clarification, I was really just trying to get in a few reply's so I can get to be a full member. I read the Wiki, along with numerous threads and found the best hacks for my slate, they work great! Now I am looking to download the "no matching content in market" fix. Thanks to all who have put countless hours of work into this great site.

#717 treknician1701

treknician1701

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 October 2013 - 11:07 AM

Okay, I have read the WIKI and the newbie posts, very well informed now, but how do I tell the difference between a standard white PDN, and the white sn20 version? Also, the WIKI said to put the upgrade software onto a SD card, which I do have, leave it in ZIP format, place it into the PDN, and "hit the power button and the volume + button at the same time". I know this must sound stupid of me, but my white PDN has a SLIDE button on the top left hand side, which you have to slide to the left to turn on. Do I hold the button to the left while pushing the volume + button?
You have to understand, not being a hacker or anything like that, this site has me totally overwhelmed.

I bought this PDN two years ago, at "Office Max", who told me that this was better than the IPAD or any other reader, and cost only half as much. First thing I noticed, was that it only played PDF files, and the PDF files that I had would not play properly, I couldn't turn the page, or I would get to page 44, and then have about 50 pages of totally blank pages, and then the novel would pick back up, but I missed 1/4 of the book! I fixed this by converting the PDF to TXT, and removed all the extra crap that was in there, and converted it back to PDF, and it played okay. Then the PDN would not turn off, or power down, and the reset button would only work part of the time. This thing has been a nightmare, and I read CONSTANTLY, so it's important to get it back online.

Thanks for your help, everyone. This could be just what I was looking for.

#718 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,251 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 October 2013 - 03:30 AM

Okay, I have read the WIKI and the newbie posts, very well informed now, but how do I tell the difference between a standard white PDN, and the white sn20 version? Also, the WIKI said to put the upgrade software onto a SD card, which I do have, leave it in ZIP format, place it into the PDN, and "hit the power button and the volume + button at the same time". I know this must sound stupid of me, but my white PDN has a SLIDE button on the top left hand side, which you have to slide to the left to turn on. Do I hold the button to the left while pushing the volume + button?
You have to understand, not being a hacker or anything like that, this site has me totally overwhelmed.

I bought this PDN two years ago, at "Office Max", who told me that this was better than the IPAD or any other reader, and cost only half as much. First thing I noticed, was that it only played PDF files, and the PDF files that I had would not play properly, I couldn't turn the page, or I would get to page 44, and then have about 50 pages of totally blank pages, and then the novel would pick back up, but I missed 1/4 of the book! I fixed this by converting the PDF to TXT, and removed all the extra crap that was in there, and converted it back to PDF, and it played okay. Then the PDN would not turn off, or power down, and the reset button would only work part of the time. This thing has been a nightmare, and I read CONSTANTLY, so it's important to get it back online.

Thanks for your help, everyone. This could be just what I was looking for.

Identify which version of FW you have, first -- Pics/Directions to find your FW are posted here: White PDN Owners START HERE

Yes, slide the power button and hold Vol up simultaneously when initiating the FW flash.

Exact Wiki Instructions posted here : http://www.slatedroi...alling_Firmware

Installing Firmware

There can be only one zipped FW file present on the PDN when flashing. Either internal microSD or external SD card options are preferred. WARNING! Do NOT Use Pandigital's website.

Method 1: Using External SD Card

This is generally the preferred method if you have an external SD card available.

Download firmware file in .ZIP format.
Copy to external SD Card - do NOT unzip the file. Copy to sdcard from PC using a USB cable and drag and drop it to the sdcard drive on your PC, or put the card in a card reader and copy it directly to the card. (Note SD card should be formatted in FAT or FAT32)
Make sure only ONE zip file is on the sdcard. Delete any old zip files present on the card.
Make sure battery is fully charged or have A/C power supply connected.
Power down the Novel.
Insert SD card containing the firmware update file.
Press POWER and VOL+ simultaneously and hold for 5 seconds.
Update process begins automatically. There is a progress indicator. Novel will reboot automatically when update is complete.
If an exclaimation point appears, something is wrong with the zip file. Re-check all the above steps.
See the developer thread for further instructions. Some of the OP-2011 based version require you to flash the device twice to get the added apps to install.

Good luck.. and welcome to SLD.

Posted Image ~cheers

#719 treknician1701

treknician1701

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:50 PM

Thanks for all the most useful info, it is greatly appreciated. From the pictures, it appears that I have the S10 model (P.O.S. version, hehehehe) so, I will backup all the Ebooks that I have on this PDN, and then download the ZIP file and place it on my SDcard, and follow the instructions to install it into my PDN.

I have a concern, however, that since I know virtually NOTHING about this stuff, I have to surmise from your site's warnings, that there is no way to "undo" what I am planning to do. The reason is this, I was looking thru the settings menu, and I saw that there was a "default" option, but it warned that all documents would be deleted as well.

What I was wondering was, if the ZIP file totally ruins my PDN, will pushing the default button, take it back to the original factory software settings?

I'm sure that there is no problem, I just don't want to lose my Ebook reader.

Oh, one other thing, just curious, but after the new firmware is installed, will this allow the PDN to read MOBI and LIT and other forms of Ebooks, and how about CBR files?

Thanks again, William

UPDATE: I have downloaded and installed the S10_08_20_b3_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP zip file, followed your instructions, and everything works fine. After startup, the screen was blank for about 90 seconds, but I waited for something to happen, and then saw the progress bar. I had dumped all my photos, music and ebooks before this, backing them up on my computer. After restart, the PDN operates just about the same as before, I uploaded a PDF novel into it, and I got the same results, it goes blank on page 33, and doesn't come back to the story until page 97, basically I lose 60 pages of story.
But everything else works just fine, as before. I noticed that the touchpad seems to be a little more receptive, but that's about it. Do I need to put a different reading app in there to be able to properly read PDF, MOBI and other formats?

BTW: the model number on this is MLP385085-2S, Value is 1600mAh 7.4 V 11.84Wh GB/T 18287-2000

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

William

Edited by treknician1701, 15 October 2013 - 05:52 PM.

#720 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,251 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 October 2013 - 06:43 AM

Thanks for all the most useful info, it is greatly appreciated. From the pictures, it appears that I have the S10 model (P.O.S. version, hehehehe) so, I will backup all the Ebooks that I have on this PDN, and then download the ZIP file and place it on my SDcard, and follow the instructions to install it into my PDN.

I have a concern, however, that since I know virtually NOTHING about this stuff, I have to surmise from your site's warnings, that there is no way to "undo" what I am planning to do. The reason is this, I was looking thru the settings menu, and I saw that there was a "default" option, but it warned that all documents would be deleted as well.

What I was wondering was, if the ZIP file totally ruins my PDN, will pushing the default button, take it back to the original factory software settings?

I'm sure that there is no problem, I just don't want to lose my Ebook reader.

Oh, one other thing, just curious, but after the new firmware is installed, will this allow the PDN to read MOBI and LIT and other forms of Ebooks, and how about CBR files?

Thanks again, William

UPDATE: I have downloaded and installed the S10_08_20_b3_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP zip file, followed your instructions, and everything works fine. After startup, the screen was blank for about 90 seconds, but I waited for something to happen, and then saw the progress bar. I had dumped all my photos, music and ebooks before this, backing them up on my computer. After restart, the PDN operates just about the same as before, I uploaded a PDF novel into it, and I got the same results, it goes blank on page 33, and doesn't come back to the story until page 97, basically I lose 60 pages of story.
But everything else works just fine, as before. I noticed that the touchpad seems to be a little more receptive, but that's about it. Do I need to put a different reading app in there to be able to properly read PDF, MOBI and other formats?

BTW: the model number on this is MLP385085-2S, Value is 1600mAh 7.4 V 11.84Wh GB/T 18287-2000

Thanks for any advise you can offer.

William

Hello again William,

Did you want to keep the locked "bookshelf" homescreen?
If so, the S10 11/19 FW is the most stable of the 2010 Series.

Check out this thread: It Reads EVERYTHING.

If you are interested in upgrading to any of the the 2011 Series FW, there are ways to safely downgrade posted in the wiki and forums.

Posted Image ~cheers