• Please log in to reply
726 replies to this topic

#41 panengineer

panengineer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:31 PM

Unclear how you flashed. Did you have the FW as a zip file on the internal micro SD that you replaced or the external SD card?

#42 winnonrox

winnonrox

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationShrewsbury, MA USA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

Unclear how you flashed. Did you have the FW as a zip file on the internal micro SD that you replaced or the external SD card?

I had the FW as a zip file on the External SD card. That was the only file on it when I flashed the FW the first time. The main screen where you see the B&N, ES File Explorer apps, etc. were there (without the normal icons) but didn't work. I thought that maybe the apps for these were either not loaded during the first flash or maybe were still on the old microSD (the new one, the 4GB card was formatted with no files on it).
I checked the Firmware version (it's the 3/2 FW) and the kernel version is 2.6.29, Build number is PD_NOVEL 2011.03.02)
When I connect the Novel to my PC, it doesn't show up (no microSD) but the external SD does (when it's in the Novel).

Edited by winnonrox, 06 March 2011 - 08:47 PM.

#43 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:39 PM

Well, that didn't go as planned :( . BUT, I did change out the internal microSD before flashing the 3/2 FW (I wanted to change it from the original 1GB to a 4GB card - and the new one is a SDHC)so maybe that's the problem? I've got none of the standard apps working ("application not installed on phone" message), like ES File Explorer, B&N reader. I can't see what's on the microSD because ES File Explorer's not working and my Windows 7 (which was originally Windows Vista - ugh) computer's card reader doesn't seem to read the SDHC cards, just SD cards. So, should I replace the microSD with the old one? I flashed the FW once (resulting in no icons for the regular apps on the main screen) then I tried to reflash (the status bar seemed to only finish halfway)again. Also, when I flashed the first time the only file on it was SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP. Afterwards, there was also a META-INF subfolder showing within the FW file. I know you're supposed to have only ONE file on the card.
I am so confused now! Any thoughts? Thanks.

You will need to reformat the 4GB microSDHC card to FAT32. Android does not like the NTFS format of larger cards.

The extra file you found should not affect the second (required for user apps install) flash. But you can safely delete it before flashing again.
On reboot, it will just get rewritten anyway.
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#44 winnonrox

winnonrox

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:54 PM

You will need to reformat the 4GB microSDHC card to FAT32. Android does not like the NTFS format of larger cards.

The extra file you found should not affect the second (required for user apps install) flash. But you can safely delete it before flashing again.
On reboot, it will just get rewritten anyway.

After I reformat the 4GB card (assuming my husband's laptop can read it with an adapter, because my HP PC won't!) and reinstall it, I should try to reinstall the FW (flash again)?

#45 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:58 PM

After I reformat the 4GB card (assuming my husband's laptop can read it with an adapter, because my HP PC won't!) and reinstall it, I should try to reinstall the FW (flash again)?

Yes. Because you are replacing the internal card, you may need to flash twice with your external.

If you can't read the microSD card in a computer, a digital camera or cellphone works in a pinch.
(for formatting) also: ymmv

"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#46 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

PDN Wiki Master, Speaker to n00bs

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts
  • Location41.6927560 / -83.5456899

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:00 PM

First, to eliminate some confusion, it's one ZIP file ... at the ROOT or lowest level of the card, (ie.: not in a folder). You can have other files on the card as long as they don't end in ".zip" and it is best to flash from the External Card if you have one. The flashing procedure will look for a zip file and if it finds more than one, or the wrong one, it can cause problems.

Coming from original stock you need to flash it twice. Original stock means a pre-2011 Firmware, one that starts with S10 (or S20). Firmware zip files that start with SH20 are the newer systems from 2011.

The first flash will finish by rebooting the system. The boot procedure of the new SH20 systems partition the Internal card. THAT will wipe out anything on the internal card which is why you should flash from the External card. Otherwise you have to recopy the zip file back to the card again if you don't do it from the External card, which is untouched by the procedure.

The second flash is what installs the pre-installed apps correctly, on to the hidden linux partition of the Internal card which is mounted at /data/app/ and otherwise unavailable to your PC and normal file explorers. (You can get there, you just have to know what you're doing and what to use.)

Lastly, something that experienced users just take for granted but is actually easily confused. Whey you copy that firmware file on to your card, copy the whole, unexpanded .zip file. DO NOT UNZIP THE FIRMWARE ZIP FILES. The flashing procedure will unpack what it wants and deliver the files where they need to go. It's an Easy Button. Don't confuse your slate by trying to out think it. It's dumber than you and can't keep up, which is why Angry Andy has such a dumb look on his face.
  • mrsburnout and L.Urquiaga like this
Don't EVEN ask until you READ THE PDN WIKI *PM me for editing access.

There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.
~Thoreau

Posted Image

#47 winnonrox

winnonrox

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:09 PM

Thanks, Mark. I have been reading so many of the discussions since I found this website and it can get confusing. And it's great to have it spelled out for us noobies. But I did learn from all of you (thank you, thank you!) about having only one zip file (I didn't unzip it). Also, I had the 2011 FW (I started with the 11/19 FW when I got it in January, then I installed the 1/14 FW - that took two flashes. Then I installed the 2/15 FW and was using kewlguy's mods, one at a time. (I listed them in my first post here.)
@mrsburnout

I used my digital camera to reformat it, but it doesn't tell you what type of format it's doing.

#48 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:14 PM

@mrsburnout

I used my digital camera to reformat it, but it doesn't tell you what type of format it's doing.

Have you tried installing it in the WPDN after the camera format? You can connect the powered on WPDN to your PC and read the card from there to check the format. (Right click drive letter/properties) You could also format to FAT32 this way too. (while powered on and connected to your PC)

Posted Image ~cheers

#49 winnonrox

winnonrox

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:18 PM

Have you tried installing it in the WPDN after the camera format? You can connect the powered on WPDN to your PC and read the card from there to check the format. (Right click drive letter/properties) You could also format to FAT32 this way too. (while powered on and connected to your PC)

I reformatted the card with the camera before I did any FW flashes. My PC didn't detect the microSD (ever) when it was in the WPDN. But I just reformatted it using my husband's laptop so I'm going to install it again and see if it's at least visible.

#50 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:25 PM

I reformatted the card with the camera before I did any FW flashes. My PC didn't detect the microSD (ever) when it was in the WPDN. But I just reformatted it using my husband's laptop so I'm going to install it again and see if it's at least visible.

I hope it works. Otherwise, maybe you need to try a different microSD card? (or go back to the original)

When you reformat in a camera, it removes the partition and the first reboot after installing takes a bit longer afterward due to the partition being created. Also many digital cameras (another ymmv) under 10MP will format to FAT32. They will leave a DCIM folder for picture storage that is easy enough to erase.

Posted Image ~cheers

#51 panengineer

panengineer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:29 PM

If that doesn't work, search for and download SDFormatter to your PC, it does an excellent job getting cards formatted right that others have reported giving problems.
  • mrsburnout and winnonrox like this

#52 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

If that doesn't work, search for and download SDFormatter to your PC, it does an excellent job getting cards formatted right that others have reported giving problems.

Nice panengineer!!!

Thanks!

+1 :good:

Posted Image ~cheers

#53 winnonrox

winnonrox

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:43 PM

Rats! this has gone from bad to worse! I put the formatted 4GB back in my WPDN, inserted the external SD with the 3/4 FW zip file on it (nothing else) and flashed but now it's Andy and the ! I'm trying not to panic =@ What now? I can't keep straight what I've tried doing anymore. (thank you panengineer for the format software - I'll do that too)
I did try to use the old !G card after the first set of flashes didn't work for me, mrsburnout. I don't know what to do. How tdo I get out of the Andy with exclamation point? I've read that you can reset the WPDN (but it's a problem if you're in a flash loop, which I'm not).
:cray:

#54 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:45 PM

Maybe your FW file is corrupt?

Try reformatting your external SD card to FAT or FAT32. Put the zipped FW file back on it and try flashing again.

Posted Image ~cheers

#55 winnonrox

winnonrox

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:13 PM

can you give me a link to the FW? I don't trust my last download. I did download the SDFormatter and reformatted the external card. Thanks again, panengineer! :clapping:
Another question. can I remove the internal microSD while the WPDN is on? I'm looking at the !triangle+Andy screen right now and don't know if I should reset the WPDN...

#56 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:20 PM

PD FW here http://pandigital.net:8080/Support/FW/Novel/SH20_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

Yes, reset. I would not recommend removing the internal microSD (aka hot swapping) while the WPDN is powered on.

Posted Image ~cheers

#57 winnonrox

winnonrox

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:24 PM

PD FW here http://pandigital.net:8080/Support/FW/Novel/SH20_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

Yes, reset. I would not recommend removing the internal microSD (aka hot swapping) while the WPDN is powered on.

Thank you so much! I'm going to give it another try.

It worked! Thanks, mrsburnout and panengineer and Mark! I reformatted a different microSD card (a 2G)and the external SD
and copied the FW from the link from mrs.b and now the regular applications are working! Thanks :yahoo:
You are the best!

Edited by winnonrox, 06 March 2011 - 10:52 PM.

#58 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,274 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:58 PM

Thank you so much! I'm going to give it another try.

It worked! Thanks, mrsburnout and panengineer and Mark! I reformatted a different microSD card (a 2G)and the external SD
and copied the FW from the link from mrs.b and now the regular applications are working! Thanks :yahoo:
You are the best!

Excellent news Lesley. Thanks for the update :clapping:

Posted Image ~cheers

#59 indeana

indeana

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

Can you update directly from S10_07_18K_PD-INX7E_ENG_6410POP to this new firmware? The PDN website suggests you can but when I try to run the 6.0 Upgrade program the program craps out. I was thinking about putting the new zip file on the SD card and flashing like I used to. Will this work?

#60 davidr

davidr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:34 PM

Can you update directly from S10_07_18K_PD-INX7E_ENG_6410POP to this new firmware? The PDN website suggests you can but when I try to run the 6.0 Upgrade program the program craps out. I was thinking about putting the new zip file on the SD card and flashing like I used to. Will this work?

yes.. and.. you will need to flash twice.. In case you haven't looked in awhile, the beginners threads and the wiki have evolved a lot in the last few weeks/months and cover all this. I strongly suggest you read about what you are going to do before you actually do it since there are some potential bumps in the road that can trip you up if you are not expecting them.
  • mrsburnout likes this