White PDN (SH20 series FW) New Users LOOK HERE

• Please log in to reply
726 replies to this topic

#21 lvlikeG

lvlikeG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:32 PM

ok tried it a second time, but got the android character with the exclamation mark in triangle like before. Had to reset. The SD card is still out of the unit so it can't be that. I looked at the firmware version installed and it does show the SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP is installed. Everything seems to be working fine on it, but like I said the second flash wasn't successful

#22 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:36 PM

@IvlikeG

Can you run any apps? ESfile explorer / B&N / OfficeSuite / SAM?

If they open, you are okay.

If not... Check your internal card (it is now split in half)
See if there is a FW file on it.
The card partitioning could have removed it.
If the FW is not there, you need to either put it there or on your external SD card (but only one, remember)
and flash again.

edit: If you use the external, the FW must be the only file on it when you flash.
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#23 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:52 PM

If you need to download the file again, here is a link to the PD mirror.

http://pandigital.ne...7E_ENG_6410POP/
  • SavvyTraveler5 likes this

"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers

#24 lvlikeG

lvlikeG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:56 PM

ok the internal memory on the tablet shows 3 files only file 1 .adobe-digital-editions, file 2 .system, file 3 LOST .DIR The SD Card has albumthumbs, DCIM, LOST.DIR, Music, Photos, .pdcolorsdcardtemp, recovery. Also like you said when I click on apps Ex. es file explorer it says "Application is not installed on your phone"

#25 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:59 PM

Okay, If you have the file on your computer, just transfer it back to the internal microSD and flash again. (Don't worry about the other folders, these ones won't hurt the flash) Apparently the partition did wipe out the FW and wrote those files (folders) but did not restore the FW zip.

Otherwise my last post has a link where you can get the file from Pandigital without the upgrader. That's the one you want download to your computer if you don't have it already.

Posted Image ~cheers

#26 lvlikeG

lvlikeG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:21 PM

Wow lol I think im just going to give up. I put the program on the Sd card like you said then powered down and did the vol + power for 5 seconds. after sitting here for 20 minutes and watching the android load bar reset itself over and over again after getting about a third of the way loaded I reset the tablet and now when it starts up once it reaches the android log it stays there.

#27 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:29 PM

Wow lol I think im just going to give up. I put the program on the Sd card like you said then powered down and did the vol + power for 5 seconds. after sitting here for 20 minutes and watching the android load bar reset itself over and over again after getting about a third of the way loaded I reset the tablet and now when it starts up once it reaches the android log it stays there.

Yes, You need to hit the reset to stop that flashloop.

What FW file did you put on the SD card?
SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

This file should not cause a flashloop. Is it the only file on the External SD card? (in it's zipped package)
Or the Internal microSD card? The internal is the one I said not to worry about the (files) folders the FW wrote, because the flash rewrites them. The External must have no other files.
  • SavvyTraveler5 likes this

Posted Image ~cheers

#28 lvlikeG

lvlikeG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:57 PM

Yes, You need to hit the reset to stop that flashloop.

What FW file did you put on the SD card?
SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP

This file should not cause a flashloop. Is it the only file on the External SD card? (in it's zipped package)
Or the Internal microSD card? The internal is the one I said not to worry about the (files) folders the FW wrote, because the flash rewrites them. The External must have no other files.

Wheww! finally got it. Sh*T. I thought it would never work. Thanks so Much. Now I rest. tomorrow I figure out how to watch You Tube videos on it. Thanks again.

#29 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:37 AM

Wheww! finally got it. Sh*T. I thought it would never work. Thanks so Much. Now I rest. tomorrow I figure out how to watch You Tube videos on it. Thanks again.

You're welcome and congratulations. Glad you got it :)

Please read around and learn a little before you flash some more.

Here's some important links to get you started.

PDN WIKI HERE Pay attention to the Beginner's Guide and Understanding the 2011 FWs.
White PDN Owners START HERE
White PDN (SH20 series FW) New Users LOOK HERE (this thread)

Posted Image ~cheers

#30 lvlikeG

lvlikeG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:48 AM

Ok, thanks again BTW already got youtube working on it so I'm making progress

#31 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:52 AM

Ok, thanks again BTW already got youtube working on it so I'm making progress

Excellent!

Are you using the kewlguy enhancements?

Posted Image ~cheers

#32 lvlikeG

lvlikeG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:06 AM

No just googled it And found An android app that supports you tube videos on it. http://www.mediafire...4jzay95u32ggf7k

Edited by lvlikeG, 06 March 2011 - 02:11 AM.

• mrsburnout likes this

#33 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:17 AM

No just googled it And found An android app that supports you tube videos on it. http://www.mediafire...4jzay95u32ggf7k

+1 for this!!!

Thank you for telling us all you know how to search!

Posted Image ~cheers

#34 lvlikeG

lvlikeG

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 02:54 AM

Lol trust me I was searching how to fix that stupid update since yesterday. I wouldn't mind trying one of the full hacks to flash froyo on it. I just don't like all the bugs and I don't have the patience to deal with it.

Edited by lvlikeG, 06 March 2011 - 02:58 AM.

#35 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 03:00 AM

We still don't have the source code, let alone freaking FW changelogs from Pandigital.

If anything, I would suggest going for the kewguy individual enhancements or his full custom FW.

Posted Image ~cheers

#36 winnonrox

winnonrox

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • LocationShrewsbury, MA USA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:31 PM

Mrsburnout, a great big THANKS for all the work you've been doing on this thread! I’m in awe of all of the developers and contributers on Slatedroid for all their great work. Where would we be without you? (Building the Three Little Pig’s last house with our bricks, I guess!)
I have a WPDN with the SH20_20110215_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP FW on it (I just updated it from the 1/14 FW) and I’ve been flashing kewlguy’s enhancements. These are the ones I’ve added so far:
• Root PDN
• Install BusyBox
• Install 2d/3d Driver Enhancement
• Install AdHoc WiFi Supplement
• Install Optimized DVM without JIT
• Update build.prop to SDK7
I've been reading quite a lot of the discussions/forums so I hope you won’t think I haven’t done any research. Anyway, if I decide that I really wanted to add the FlashLite update (which requires you to have Optimized DBM with JIT (and I installed the one without it), can I flash it (will it overlay what’s on the WPDN) without going back? Do I have to start over by flashing the 2/15 FW first?
I couldn’t decide if I’d rather have the Kindle app (which I guess doesn’t work with JIT ) or the Flash player . Now I realize that I can put the Kindle app on my husband’s WPDN and I can have the Flash player on mine.

Thanks for any help you can give!
Lesley

• mrsburnout likes this

#37 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 04:54 PM

@Lesley

Thanks for the props and especially for doing your homework in order to ask informed questions. +1 for that!
You should be okay to flash the Optimized DBM with JIT over what you already have without reverting.

That being said, there is a newer FW SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP.
This FW is reported to improve wifi and fixed the B&N reader.
Here: http://www.slatedroid.com/index.php?/topic/15809-new-03022011-wpdn-software-up-on-pd-site/page__view__findpost__p__141685

Kewlguy's individual enhancements should work with this new FW as well. (ymmv, of course)

KG also made a custom FW within hours of the official FW release with or without the GAPPS.
Here:Kewlguy's SH20 series WPDN FW thread
  • Mark Adams likes this

Posted Image ~cheers

#38 winnonrox

winnonrox

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:41 PM

Thanks for such a quick response! I was just reading about the newest FW with kewlguy's enhancements...and I thought I better update my post (but you beat me to it)to say that I thought I might just try that.
BTW, I have YET to even see what Market or Google Experience looks like! I was trying to figure out which version I'd want, but it sounds like I could try one and then change out the FW again (with KG'S mods)if I don't like what I try. If that's not right would you let me know?
Also, I'm confused where the updates/mods go (not on internal SD, right?) I guess I'm confused what the internal SD is used for by the WPDN? Is it mostly used to store apps or are there other files that are critical?
I hate to sound so ignorant - I was a programmer a LONG, LONG time ago (in a galaxy called COBOL, so there you go)!
Lesley

#39 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,259 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

@Lesley

First, you are all good here. This is the place we want people to ask questions like yours. It then becomes a valuable resource of trial and error. Much like the FW threads with all the testing and reporting.

It is better to flash with an external SD card, because the internal microSD card is partitioned at boot and wipes out the FW file. By using the external SD card to flash, you eliminate having to go back and write the FW again.

Files stored on the internal microSD card are: user installed apps (apk files), ebooks [and ade (library) ebooks], photos, video and music. You can store (and access) files on the external SD card and navigate to them with the included ESfile explorer (or another file explorer of your choice)

Posted Image ~cheers

#40 winnonrox

winnonrox

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

Well, that didn't go as planned :( . BUT, I did change out the internal microSD before flashing the 3/2 FW (I wanted to change it from the original 1GB to a 4GB card - and the new one is a SDHC)so maybe that's the problem? I've got none of the standard apps working ("application not installed on phone" message), like ES File Explorer, B&N reader. I can't see what's on the microSD because ES File Explorer's not working and my Windows 7 (which was originally Windows Vista - ugh) computer's card reader doesn't seem to read the SDHC cards, just SD cards. So, should I replace the microSD with the old one? I flashed the FW once (resulting in no icons for the regular apps on the main screen) then I tried to reflash (the status bar seemed to only finish halfway)again. Also, when I flashed the first time the only file on it was SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP. Afterwards, there was also a META-INF subfolder showing within the FW file. I know you're supposed to have only ONE file on the card.
I am so confused now! Any thoughts? Thanks.