I just like to vote! :p25.13%
Any Other Issues (Notated in Comments)
YES - Silver Back G912.56%
YES - Black Back G91948.72%
NO - Silver Back G925.13%
NO - Black Back G91538.46%
I just like to vote! :p25.13%

#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have created his poll to get a better handle on the two different devices and what/if any problems people are seeing.

thanks,

Tasselhof

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
1. There is also a faint whistling sound coming from the wall charger-cable combo. The Gemei's G9 DC connector itself also came slightly bent.

2. I wouldn't call this an issue, however, upon inspection my black Gemei G9 has a battery capacity of 8000 mAh. I believe this is different
from the silver one (7000 mAh); please correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

#5 ·
1)Speaker Noise/Crackling

for me only when it's charging (USB Laptop)

2) Physical Screen Separation or Gaps

between border and screen under volume control

3) Any Other Issues

I tried to test personal USB main charger (5V 500mA) .
it's charging but the touchscreen doesn't work correctly : long and false response.
I don't know if it is main charger problem (filtering DC not good)????
When I use USB laptop to charge, no problem with touchscreen!

#6 ·
I've got the black version G9 from Taobao which shipped with the latest 4.10 ics firmware. Overall it's working pretty good and the ICS interface is great! However I found the following issues:

* Some applications have quite big issues with freezing for about 10 seconds while doing something. This especially applies to web browsing (tried stock and maxathon). When for example loading a website, the browser will freeze not responding to input for about 10-15 seconds, then show a force close popup, press wait and the browser is working as expected again. Especially notice this if something is happening in the background, like synchronizing music over wifi. Could be an I/O scheduler problem? Have to try the gingerbread version and see if this issue is still there.

* My touchscreen seems to be defect, have one row of about 1 cm where i have no feedback. Swiping my finger over the line will make the current position just jump over to the other side of the line. Didn't notice this in the beginning so could've happened recently. I ordered this tablet with a friend, but that tablet doesn't have this issue meaning it's definitely a hardware defect. Not sure if it's big enough an issue to go through the trouble to sent back to the seller though ...

* Got calendar sync working, and managed to install Contacts/people apk but still no sync for the contacts. Was just testing random apks from other a10 ics tablets though, and not the biggest issue either.

* Not really an issue but when the unit arrived battery percentage readouts were really weird just showing steps and getting different values after reboot. After 1-2 charge cycles this was fixed though and now it's reading very well, so this just seems to be a calibration issue. (battery life is awesome!)

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
I have the same touchscreen issue, there's a gap that doesn't register touch, also it will register two touches on a keyboard when I'm only pressing one key... see my posts over on the other issues forum,

http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/31114-gemei-g9-issues/page__st__20

I've got the black version G9 from Taobao which shipped with the latest 4.10 ics firmware. Overall it's working pretty good and the ICS interface is great! However I found the following issues:

* My touchscreen seems to be defect, have one row of about 1 cm where i have no feedback. Swiping my finger over the line will make the current position just jump over to the other side of the line. Didn't notice this in the beginning so could've happened recently. I ordered this tablet with a friend, but that tablet doesn't have this issue meaning it's definitely a hardware defect. Not sure if it's big enough an issue to go through the trouble to sent back to the seller though ...

#8 ·
Most sellers will have the Black back version.
I would assume/expect from this point it will be a black back version.

Tasselhof

#14 ·
Black back running 4.1. Have noise issue but rarely notice it. My problems are that I am unable to sync calendar and contacts. If I could get those working I would be very satisfied with my G9. Even the phone works well. Can't install Swype because apparently the screen size is not supported but hopefully that will work soon. Also only have 5 point touch but can't think of anything that I would need 10 for, it would just be cool to say I had it

#16 ·
Hi Friends,

I received mine Gemei G9 from merimobiles today. I am facing two major hardware problems. Firmware upgraded to the latest ICS from gemeitech website.

1) Microsd slot not working. Different branded cards of varying speeds tried but no go.

2) DC charging port not working. Included charger can charge Onda VI40. So its definitely the port itself.

I am definitely sending them mine back. I have written merimobiles already and waiting for a reply from them.

My advice for new buyers: Steer clear of this model for the time being.

Cheers, Sumit

#18 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello,

I received my GEMEI G9 last week from mbub.
The order took about 2 weeks from placing it to delivery, I was happy with that.
The unit was received in its white box, well packaged with all the cables and adaptors required.
Apart from having the screen not perfectly fitted (you can feel it being quite loose at each corner), there were no other issues I can notice.
I powered it up and it came with the Stock (ICS) 4.0.3 v4.10.
I applied MrTasselhof superscript (the one related to the v4.10) without any problem and everything was working quite well (only issue:was Google Map not recognizing my location).
I then decided to try the firmware "CHS 456- Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) 4.0.3 v4.15 - 2012-04-06".
Followed the instructions provided within its thread, using the format option.
The drivers installed ok (I am using Windows 7 32bit) and the flashing was quick.

NOTE: I am quite new to flashing ROM's on Android, so it took me a while to undertsand that after launching Livesuit, you have to connect the device thru the USB port when it is switched off.
NOTE(2): there was still one yellow mark in the device manager "USB Device(VID_1f3a_PID_efe8)". However it went away AFTER connecting the tablet using the volume/start buttons procedure and the flashing went thru smoothly.
I know, silly of me, but I thought it worth sharing for the benefit of people like me

Anyhow...
I installed the new superscript (thanks againg MrTasselhof) and the tablet is working great (Google Map issue with My Location still present).
I didn't notice any particular difference in performance or snappiness between the two ROM's.
The market (or should I say Google Play) is perfect for my needs, I can find everything I need.
Got flash working using the procedure explained by MrT and Sean Vancouver (thank you for that).
So far the only APP that cannot connect is LinkedIn, but I am not sure if it is related to the tablet or the APP itself.
Battery life is impressive, around 9 hours with wifi, browsing, playing, messing around as you normally would (no 3D playing or intense movie watching).
Overall, I am very pleased with this tablet.

One only question.
Has anyone whith the loose screen problem attempted to repair it with success?
If so, could you describe how you did it?

Thank you everyone for the hard work.

#21 ·
Hi all.

I receive my Gemei on april 9th from Merimobiles. The black back one. As I wai in a pre-order, I think mine is one of the first ones, with the 4.0.3 ICS, v.4.00 firmware.

It has the crackling issue, and tested with with multitouch tester it only gets 5 points.

I wrote Merimobiles, and the told me to upgrade firmware to see if problems persist.

I guess the 5 point issue it's because a firmware problem, and hope to have 10 points whe updating. But, as I see in the forum, the noise I gess will persist. I jus hope that noise doesn't affect the live of the tablet.

#22 ·
I have a black G9 and i have the crackling sound when charging and the screen is on but only when charging(not soo big broblem for mig).
I have no separation or gaps what i can see.
My biggest problem is that it allways crashes after a while when i surf on the web, i have flashed to chs 4.15 456 and tried different web browsers but still the same issues.

#26 ·
Posting here because I don't have the posts to post anywhere else.

I received my G9 from merimobiles yesterday. From a purely visual standpoint this device is awesome. Looks very similar to an ipad.
(black cover)

However, I have been having a seemingly unique issue that I have not seen posted here yet. The device refuses to boot unless plugged into the wall. Once booted it works fine (until it crashes of course, underclocking it with setcpu seemed to help the stability a lot) I can sit for hours and try to get it to boot and it will freeze over and over and over. First time I try to boot with it plugged in, bam - full boot. Does anyone have any suggestions or a fix for this?

using the CHS 4.15 firmware

#27 ·
Well... it sounds like there may be an issue with your battery... either not connected or not getting a charge.
As I have said on a couple threads now... it is probably best to do a full wipe/restart.

I would suggest flashing with format and a single boot up between each (in case it wants to format itself)
Flash GB Firmware w/ format then boot once
Flash ICS Stock firmware w/ format then boot once
Flash ICS CHS firmware w/ format then boot.

Once it is loaded to the OS, run my script.

Hopefully you will have a regularly working device.
Again hope this helps,

Tasselhof

#28 ·
Hi there !

"Good" to see that i'm not the only one to have the same problems.

I got mine a week ago from merimobiles. physically, nothing special. Very thin and nice !
But.... Unusable... Random reset (application is "simply" closing or the whole system crash, in this case, I need to force the shutdown and pray if it can start again...)

I tried all the different firmwares from this forum and from Gemeitech, nothing... I've tried Gingerbread... Same troubles...

One thing I've noticed too, during a flash, while i was pressing the + volume button, the battery discharged completly !

The market is unusable too... Too much application that can't be installed (even with build.prop modified...)

I'm still hoping THE firmware that will resolved everything ! And enjoy at last this nice tab !

(And I just want to thanks once again everyone in this forum !
)

#29 ·
Thanks for the reply.

I've tried about 12 different firmwares and every combination of upgrading and full formatting. Nothing seems to change it. I'm even having difficulty booting while plugged in now.

Looks like I will be RMA'ing the unit. Waiting another 6 weeks for a working device makes me sick.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.