• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Agactual

Agactual

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

I have finally given up on the g tablet. I am not sure I ever truly liked it. At the time, for the price, it was a good deal but the crappy screen and the lack of any fully supported roms made it too hard to use. I think i spent more time trying to find a rom that i liked and trying to get everything to work properly than i did just using the thing. As a student, i needed something that i could use everyday, not something that I had to fight with constantly. I would try other people's tablets, like an ipad or newer android tablets, and it made me feel like i was missing out on what a tablet actually could be. The g tablet is fun to sort of play with and customize but day to day functioning is pretty weak. So i got a Lepan II. For the price it is an amazing tablet. The case is made of aluminum, the screen is great quality, it is quite a bit faster than a G tablet and it comes with a stable version of honeycomb that will soon be updated to ICS. I just have none of the same problems that I did with the g tablet. I have something that is supported and well designed. So if you are looking to get out of the world of the g tablet and getting something new that is an amazing value, Lepan seems to be the way to go right now.

Edited by Agactual, 07 April 2012 - 12:28 AM.

#2 c1tobor

c1tobor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 10:37 AM

Nice. Gonna check the Lepan out. I love my Gtab but I don't need it for anything but entertainment. We will all move on eventually but the Gtab was great for its time. Good luck and happy tabbing.

#3 Agactual

Agactual

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:14 PM

We will all move on eventually but the Gtab was great for its time.

For a first generation, 2010 tablet, absolutely (except that god awful tap n tap thing). At the the time it was way faster than an iPad and much more open. The thing is, when you use it now, it really does have a first generation, very early attempt feel. The android tablets have come a long way in the last 2 years. Today they are sleek, fast, stable, have an impressive OS in 3.0 and 4.0, and now many are very reasonably priced. A year or two ago, the G tablet was a great find for the price but now you can say that about at least half a dozen tablets that don't have the problems that the g tablet will always have.

Edit: Here is a good video from newegg showing the Lepan II

And if you look into the lepan II, make sure you don't confuse it with the original. They look nearly identical but the original is about half as fast and only has froyo on it. But it is cheaper. About $180 compared to $280 for the Lepan II.

Edited by Agactual, 07 April 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#4 Redbot

Redbot

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationEast Texas

Posted 08 July 2012 - 12:55 PM

I have the iPad for work and the gtab to play with so I can learn the basic of how the hardware and software work. It can be a headache at times but overall is well worth the effort. My only question is the gtab at the end of its ability to upgrade beyond ISC due to the 512MB ram limit. I know the DRH team was able to do a work around, but will it be possible for jelly bean? The upgrade to 1.3 was a snap, great work Team DRH.
Redbot Soft bricking is a learning moment, now SODs really suxs but what can you do!

#5 macawmatt

macawmatt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:47 AM

Feeling the same way.

I think the announcement next week will finally be the nail in the coffin for me to replace our G-Tabs. The wife is just wanting to switch to a Kindle e-reader since she really didn't use the G-Tab for much more then reading anyways. I can't look past having some Nexus love at the 10" size, updates coming more frequently will be nice too.

May try to sell of the tablets to my in-laws for their younger kids, it'll be the first thing that has to happen before I can upgrade.

#6 bblackmoor

bblackmoor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 01:35 PM

I have finally given up on the g tablet. ... So i got a Lepan II.

How have you liked the Lepan II? I have been looking at the Lepan II and the Zenithink C93 and C94. I like my G tablet for reading comics and checking email, but I am wondering if it's time for a newer tablet.