• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#21 mrninjamonk

mrninjamonk

• Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:28 PM

7 inch tablets are hot right now and google wants to capitalize, I'm sure they'll follow with a 10 in tablet but I'm not sure asus would want to produce it and undercut their transformer, so maybe they'll partner with someone else for that.

#22 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

Only time will tell what spec the device will have and when (most likely July) google will release their new tablet

I want/would prefer a 9.7 or 10.1 inch tablet from google rather than a 7 inch one...................

Not sure if Google will do any size bigger than 7". Right now they just want to wipe out their two top competitors - Nook & Kindle Fire. For 10", we will have dual core Cortex A9s, 8726MX & RK3066, with tablets showing up in 2-5 months. The RK3066 is probably the better choice but either one should be really good compared to the Cortex A8s today.

Just have to wait little longer for tablet makers to start designing their next tablet models. These will come out as 7" first. Then followed by 10.1" & after 9.7". This will happen but will take some time.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#23 Tharm

Tharm

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

Seems Google is moving the release date back 1-2 months to do some further price cutting to hit that $149-199 range.

#24 janecheng

janecheng

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:13 PM

maybe that price is very good for me,but i prefer to buy 10.1 inch tablet,so i hope someone can offer this kinds of tablets.
Greeting

#25 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 06:52 PM

OK, an update on Nexus tablet. People still say Google is working on a Nexus tablet and will be out by end of year for sure. Maybe later in the year instead of summer release?

Right now, the 3 possibilities for ARM chip in Google's tablet are:
#1. Tegra 3
#2. Snapdragon
#3. Exynos 5

First, people were guessing it would be built by Asus and use Tegra 3 chip. After, people started saying it would use Snapdragon chip instead to bring down cost. Well folks. Here we go again. Now, the rumors are it will be built by Samsung and use Exynos 5 chip. =) One rumor after the other.

No one knows for sure what the specs are and everyone is giving out guesses.

If Snapdragon, then that will make weaker dual core tablet and I say to pass on it. Rather go with 8726-MX or RK3066 tablet instead. If it ends up with Tegra3 or Exynos5 then very strong tablet to have.

Check out Snapdragon benchmarks for ME171 below. That will give an idea of how much weaker Snapdragon chip is. It is closer to Tegra2/OMAP4 performance.
http://www.engadget....emo-benchmarks/

By the end of June we should hopefully have more info and maybe this chaotic speculation can finally stop. Right now, I suggest people buy some other tablet because you may have to wait 2-6 months for that Nexus tablet to come out!!!

Edited by Nickos-V, 17 May 2012 - 07:00 PM.

*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#26 astrayred

astrayred

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:37 AM

OK, an update on Nexus tablet. People still say Google is working on a Nexus tablet and will be out by end of year for sure. Maybe later in the year instead of summer release?

Right now, the 3 possibilities for ARM chip in Google's tablet are:
#1. Tegra 3
#2. Snapdragon
#3. Exynos 5

First, people were guessing it would be built by Asus and use Tegra 3 chip. After, people started saying it would use Snapdragon chip instead to bring down cost. Well folks. Here we go again. Now, the rumors are it will be built by Samsung and use Exynos 5 chip. =) One rumor after the other.

No one knows for sure what the specs are and everyone is giving out guesses.

If Snapdragon, then that will make weaker dual core tablet and I say to pass on it. Rather go with 8726-MX or RK3066 tablet instead. If it ends up with Tegra3 or Exynos5 then very strong tablet to have.

Check out Snapdragon benchmarks for ME171 below. That will give an idea of how much weaker Snapdragon chip is. It is closer to Tegra2/OMAP4 performance.
http://www.engadget....emo-benchmarks/

By the end of June we should hopefully have more info and maybe this chaotic speculation can finally stop. Right now, I suggest people buy some other tablet because you may have to wait 2-6 months for that Nexus tablet to come out!!!

Dude, the question is which Snapdragon. Because the Snapdragon 4 with the Krait architecture is a real beast.

#27 NiGhToLoGy

NiGhToLoGy

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:46 AM

It looks like we have some fresh/good news!!!!

[Updated] An ASUS Nexus Tegra 3 Tablet Called Nexus 7 Has Potentially Been Outed - Shows Android Jelly Bean Is Version 4.1
According to Rightware's Power Board benchmark result site (see #11; the benchmark in question is Basemark ES2.0 Taiji), a long-rumored device has popped up in a result database: the much-awaited Nexus tablet.Via Android Police.... Nexus tablet Benchamrk

Edited by NiGhToLoGy, 30 May 2012 - 03:47 AM.

#28 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

It looks like we have some fresh/good news!!!!

That info could be very true. Very good chance it will get announced by Google at end of June and be selling in July. Have to wait and see.

News, based on current rumors, was out about 1 week or so saying Google would go with Tegra3 & priced @ $199. Also, Jellybean is more likely Android 4.1 and not 5.0. Just how Android went to 1.6, 2.3 & 3.2. Google is going to do 4.2+ first before switching to 5.0.

4.1 "should" give a more stable and better performing Android 4 OS!!!

#29 dryster

dryster

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 878 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:13 AM

I think there's a lot of talk about this tablet that does not actually exist yet "killing" the Kindle Fire and the Nook, which is surely a bad thing to wish for, sure it "may" be technically better but build quality will probably be about the same, the last thing we all want is more infighting (and fragmentation) in the market share.

Google may want to kill off their competition (and have telegraphed that desire) and yes, develop a more stable Android 4.0 platform. Yet, they will be entering the arena much later than the Kindle Fire or Nook (by the sound of it, not Christmas 2012) which both have an established base of users and especially the Amazon product, good support and (through the Amazon app market) an unworried experience for the consumer who wants an appliance (and more than likely has little concern about the underlying operating system)

Sure, Google should deliver a quality product when compared with the China tablet tsunami, however, because they are Google there will be consequences for the user, especially for DRM and restrictions on audio and video tags. However, I'm going off topic, my thoughts are that if the product is not rushed for the 2012 Christmas season, then there will be no killing of the poor little Nook and the not-so mighty Kindle Fire and even worse, if the product is rushed for that buying season, train wrecks may ensue.

So, everything as usual then.
Tablets past : Nationite Midnite. Witstech A81E : White Pandigital Novel : Zenithink ZT280 C71 M3-C71-1M : Blackberry Playbook : EV2 NEC Renesas Dual A9 Cortex : Zenithink ZT-180 v2 512mb 4gb : Telechips TCC8902 : Elocity A7+ Tegra : Ainol Novo 7 Tornados : Eken T01A A10 : Ampe A76 A13 : Aishuo A816 S5PV210 : HT SurBox 701 AML8726-M : iPad v1 : Kindle 4th GEN - currently still have the Eken T01A A10 the Kindle and the iPad. Have become a cord cutter over last 12 months, Roku, Apple TV, HTPC with ATSC/QAM and soon to test out the OUYA.

#30 keth

keth

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

I am using a google nexus 4g and one day noticed that my google market was gone. I further noticed that something similar was there called google play. Is there a way to get the android market back??

#31 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:36 PM

I am using a google nexus 4g and one day noticed that my google market was gone. I further noticed that something similar was there called google play. Is there a way to get the android market back??

No. Google Play is what Google calls Market these days. PS, wrong thread for your post.

#32 Logseman

Logseman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationTenerife, Spain

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:51 PM

I'm reading in the Spanish media that the device is assumed to be presented in the IO event... Is it just a bold visit grabber or does it have validity?

Swypesation

Edited by Logseman, 08 June 2012 - 02:52 PM.

#33 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

I'm reading in the Spanish media that the device is assumed to be presented in the IO event... Is it just a bold visit grabber or does it have validity?

Everyone is thinking that Google may bring it out @ IO event @ end of June. No one can say for sure if then or later. Have to wait for end of June to find out. =)

#34 twistedgenius

twistedgenius

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:14 PM

Can't wait to see what google has to offer in the android market. Have not heard much about their laptops since they released them last year.. guess they was a flop?

#35 Logseman

Logseman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationTenerife, Spain

Posted 09 June 2012 - 03:12 AM

Can't wait to see what google has to offer in the android market. Have not heard much about their laptops since they released them last year.. guess they was a flop?

The Chrome OS is a flop indeed. Nobody has permanent Internet connections everywhere, connections are not really that stable and people are not willing to pay the same for a wifi-dependent device than for a full fledged computer which can operate on its own. Netbook PCs are cheaper and can be very well used for the same purpose as a Chromebook. Maybe the new spin they've taken (a ChromeOS mini PC) could work a bit better.

Swypesation

#36 roy8846

roy8846

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 07:38 AM

Samsung just entered the 7" tablet market which has been mostly ignored by the big, branded tablet makers the last few years. The focus for them had been on 10" tablets. That is why Kindle is the best selling tablet for Android. Very nice specs plus good price = Success!!!

Samsung were the first BIG brand to make a 7" Tablet though??
Before they even made a 10" ;)

#37 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,033 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Samsung were the first BIG brand to make a 7" Tablet though??
Before they even made a 10" ;)

OK. Nice catch. =) My info was kinda wrong.
Samsung did of course start off with 7" but then went to 10.1. They also made 7, 7.7 & 8.9" tablets. So, Samsung knew what they were doing. Asus, Acer, Toshiba, Motorola, etc. neglected anything that was not 10.1" until recently. Acer & Toshiba now also offer 7" too.

Point I was making is that Kindle became very popular because very good specs (Tegra2) for very good price ($199). 7" Samsung is $349, Acer $279 & Toshiba $349. Too expensive and why Kindle became popular choice to buy.

Thanks for giving me a wake up call Roy. Later,

#38 ArisGrUk

ArisGrUk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationUK / Greece

Posted 17 June 2012 - 06:05 AM

7 inch tablets are hot right now and google wants to capitalize, I'm sure they'll follow with a 10 in tablet but I'm not sure asus would want to produce it and undercut their transformer, so maybe they'll partner with someone else for that.

I have to agree with you..... at the moment with want to "fight" kindle etc so Google is pushing for 7 inch tablets but i wish they will not forget to make bigger tablets too!! You make a valid point about Asus... they will not undercut their own products to help google so then what???

#39 droidgal

droidgal

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

I'm surprised Google are taking Kindle Fire so seriously as I read a lot of reviews before buying my Android tablet and people don't seem to think it compares very well. I do have a Kindle but I would never buy one without the ink technology since that's the whole point of having a Kindle.

Information is out there that Google will offer a 7" tablet made by Asus. It will be available for purchase in May.

To keep cost down, Google decided to not use Tegra3. Very likely will use one of, Nvidia Tegra2, TI OMAP4 or Qualcomm Snapdragon ARM chip.

Price will be $200 US or under. Maybe even as low as $150 US.

It is being made to take on the Kindle Fire. ie, Amazon is taking business away from Google with their own app store. Google makes their money off of people buying apps from Google Play. The more people that buy the Fire, the more customers Google loses.

Specs should be fairly similar to, but slightly better than, Kindle Fire.
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Kindle_fire

Info was obtained from these stories:
http://eeepc.net/goo...ra-3-processor/
http://www.androidpi...-tablet-release
http://www.forbes.co...-priced-at-149/

I FOUND THIS TO BE VERY INTERESTING AND CAN'T WAIT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS!!!
Kindle Fire is 2nd hottest selling tablet after Apple's iPads. Nexus tablet should kill the Fire off!!!

With Nexus tablet, no more worry about open market/incompatible apps and fooling around with build.props! Also, should get good firmware support for the Nexus too!

#40 SoftwareGuy

SoftwareGuy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 01:41 AM

I think I'll stick with my Galaxy Tab (P1000) for now, until this Nexus Tab matures a bit.