• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#21 clockworx

clockworx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:30 AM

I have no idea why companies reply with "We should have it shortly." It's almost worse than ignoring the requests altogether, because now they're knowingly in non-compliance.

#22 oneglory

oneglory

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:03 PM

email.......

Dear Pandigital Customer,

Thank you for your recent email concerning your Pandigital Novel. We are sorry to hear that you are having trouble with it. We at Pandigital apologize for the delay responding to your e-mail. It has been unexpectedly busy both through e-mails and calls. We hope that our response to your e-mail is helpful. The source code will be released shortly, unfortunately we have not exact date at this time. Currently we do not have information as to if the operating system will be upgraded. Sorry for any trouble this causes.

We can best help you through our toll free customer service line. Please give us a call at (1-800) 715-5354 during the hours listed below. When you call, please have your Novel and receipt with you and give the service agent the phone number or email address that you recorded here so that we are able to quickly access your history.

Your Pandigital Novel carries a 1 year warranty against defects that begins on the original date of purchase. The purchase date must be validated by a receipt. Thank you for choosing Pandigital. We look forward to helping you find a solution to your problem.

Best Regards,

Pandigital Support Center
Phone: (1-800) 715-5354Monday - Friday 10am -7pm EST
Saturday 10am - 4pm ESTwww.pandigital.net

#23 jackbox

jackbox

Banned Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:43 PM

Looks like others are questioning Pandigital also on releasing their source code because if they do not they are violating GPL:Pandigital Novel (Android-based tablet) violating GPL

If they have made significant modifcations which they have, they are not obligated under the GPL to release the source code.

#24 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 06:59 PM

I have no idea why companies reply with "We should have it shortly." It's almost worse than ignoring the requests altogether because now they're knowingly in non-compliance.

It's like the corporate equivalent of "bite me."I know that google itself was bucking the GPL for Linux... I don't know whether it will apply to Pandigital if they're using Google's os.

#25 oozeeh

oozeeh

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 07:42 PM

lol.. sounds like whats gonna happen to their black version of the novel.

"unfortunately, the black pd novel is not currently hackable, however WE expect it to be rooted shortly" bwahahhahaha

in reality, i really hope that they do come through and deliver with the source code, even if its a not so publicly released through the website but by request.

#26 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:57 PM

email them and ask.

#27 Gregg Schlaudecker

Gregg Schlaudecker

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:18 AM

Another reply from Pan: We have plans to release the source code, however do not have an exact date at this time. Sorry for any trouble this causes.

We can best help you through our toll free customer service line. Please give us a call at (1-800) 715-5354 during the hours listed below. When you call, please have your Novel and receipt with you and give the service agent the phone number or email address that you recorded here so that we are able to quickly access your history.

#28 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:58 AM

I love the form language they tack on to their emails:

"We're sick of hearing from you, so we're dispatching an assassin to execute you and everyone you know.

We can best help you through our toll free customer service line. Please give us a call at (1-800) 715-5354 during the hours listed below. When you call, please have your Novel and receipt with you and give the service agent the phone number or email address that you recorded here so that we are able to quickly access your history. Your Pandigital Novel carries a 1 year warranty against defects that begins on the original date of purchase. The purchase date must be validated by a receipt. Thank you for choosing Pandigital. We look forward to helping you find a solution to your problem.

Best Regards,
Pandigital Support Center
Phone: (1-800) 715-5354Monday - Friday 10am -7pm EST
Saturday 10am - 4pm EST
Pandigital ┬╗ Home"

[That's what we call a parody, they never actually sent it]

#29 HWgeek

HWgeek

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:10 AM

Actually with GPL code, if they used GPL code as a base, they have to release that code since it is GPL. What they don't have to release is any proprietary code, e.g. the user interface they wrote, any custom drivers etc. However the base code is required to be posted up. As a consumer device, they don't need or should want the publicity that comes with a public lawsuit for violating the GPL licensing. e.g. BusyBox Developers Agree To End GPL Lawsuit Against Verizon - Software Freedom Law Center

#30 clockworx

clockworx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

And, as someone pointed out, Android is under Apache License, so they don't have to release any of that stuff. Basically, all they'd be on the hook for (from my understanding) is the Linux kernel and anything else that is specifically under the GPL such as busybox.

#31 gottahavit

gottahavit

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 548 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

Maybe an avenue for quicker response is to also start emailing B&N since they have their name on this thing too.

email sent

#32 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:04 PM

Maybe an avenue for quicker response is to also start emailing B&N since they have their name on this thing too.email sent

NOT a good idea. BN is lightly partnered with the PDN. They weren't terribly happy about it, and note they cut the price on the nook just after release. BN has no connection to the hardware, which is all we're worried about. I'm not telling you not to email BN, I'm just telling you it's a bad idea.

#33 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

PDN Wiki Master, Speaker to n00bs

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts
  • Location41.6927560 / -83.5456899

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:25 PM

It's the lawyer in me, but I'd guess the delay in releasing the code is going through it with a fine to comb to keep anything original they wrote (or claim to have written) all to themselves.

#34 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:35 PM

Imagine that... the lawyer in you... Did you use your real name on here? What kind of lawyer in you? What jurisdiction of lawyer in you? CO? CA? There are a lot of Mark Adams attorneys... Not that I'm curious or anything...

I imagine that you are somewhat right, but that also they're waiting to have what they consider a near final fw before they release the FW. That's why telling us those sort of "hold your horses" things. I think that if they accede to the GPL, they will get in trouble if they redact parts of the code as proprietary, but that if they claim they're not under the GPL, they're going to get hammered by someone.

Then again, even Google, which made android, is hemming and hawwing over the applicability of the GPL. Frankly, I'd rather we ask nicely and seem impatient, than we file a lawsuit and have them clam up.
  • mrsburnout likes this

#35 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

PDN Wiki Master, Speaker to n00bs

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts
  • Location41.6927560 / -83.5456899

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:39 PM

Yeah, lawsuits are icky. ;-) I got out of the courthouse Romper Room, moved from Cleveland to Toledo and bought a bar a few years back. I sleep a lot better now, just at weirder hours.

#36 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:40 PM

You, sir, might be my hero.
  • mrsburnout likes this

#37 clockworx

clockworx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:43 PM

They're actually not allowed to delay under the GPL at all. Once you ship the product, you have to have the code available immediately. No "we're reviewing it", or "we're still finalizing it".

#38 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:45 PM

Since they haven't done it, my bet is they think they have a reason the GPL doesn't apply. More flies with honey than vinegar, right?

Post a link to the terms of the GPL. I want to get me more edumecated. I know the basics, but not the specifics.

#39 clockworx

clockworx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

It's more that companies don't bother with the terms of the GPL other than "We can take this and use it for FREE, right?", so they do things in their leisurely normal fashion, probably without knowing (or possibly not caring) that it is illegal.

Which is how compan ies end up getting smacked down, because they think it is no big deal until the smackdown cometh.

#40 stoic

stoic

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:02 PM

I wonder if Pandigital did all the development (HW/SW) themselves or hired another company to do it. Looking at the fcc docs and pics of the device I havent seen anywhere they, Pandigital, are mentioned. It could be the Chinese have all the code. I did see a server name in some of the cfg files in the firmware: serverblabla.nj.dontknow. The NJ part was interesting.