• Please log in to reply
209 replies to this topic

#1 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:26 PM

I recently emailed Pandigital, repeatedly, to get the kernel and/or source code, and keep getting a form letter that my email was sent to their development team. I have been doing this since the device hit the street.

Now I want to ask EVERY SINGLE MEMBER (THIS MEANS YOU) interested in or currently owning a PDN to email customer_service@pandigital.net and/or public_relations@pandigital.net and ask them to release the kernel and/or source code, and if possible to address the possibility of getting the PDN up to Android 2.1.

Feel free to tell them you're a member, and feel free to tell them we're the largest Android Tablet Forum on the web. Gentouch developers are actually POSTING on that board. I would be nice if Pandigital could express similar interest in the novel.

#2 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:41 PM

Done, and will try to do this repeatedly as well. I love my PDN considering the bang for the buck, but in three months they won't be the only fish in the sea. Unless this thing gets 2.1 / 2.2 soon it's going to be left in the dust. Specifically, I'm watching the Cruz Reader which seems to be very similar hardware to the PDN.

#3 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:29 PM

Yeah, same concern. The gentouch is inferior, and they had developers from the company helping out within days. We've had this thing for months and Pandigital hasn't said word one. It wouldn't take much to get us cooking with pig fat.

#4 oneglory

oneglory

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:43 PM

gonna send the email, but I'm not holding my breath for them to release the source code/kernel.

#5 oneglory

oneglory

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:44 PM

Done and will try to do this repeatedly as well. I love my PDN considering the bang for the buck, but in three months they won't be the only fish in the sea. Unless this thing gets 2.1 / 2.2 soon it's going to be left in the dust. Specifically, I'm watching the Cruz Reader which seems to be very similar hardware to the PDN.

Yes, the Cruz has a capacitive screen......................

#6 clockworx

clockworx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 10:55 PM

Yes the Cruz has a capacitive screen......................

Only the Cruz Tablet ($299). Cruz Reader ($199) does not.

#7 oneglory

oneglory

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

Only the Cruz Tablet ($299). Cruz Reader ($199) does not.

yep. I can't find any info on the cpu though. 512mb ram, capacitive screen and even a 8gb sd card..that looks pretty sweet. still probably keep the pdn though. can't really beat it for $114.

#8 POTI

POTI

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:44 PM

I just recieved an email from CS at pandigital and they said that the source code will be available for download on the website shortly :)

#9 oneglory

oneglory

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:48 PM

i just recieved an email from cs at pandigital and they said that the source code will be available for download on the website shortly :)

awesome!!!

#10 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:50 PM

Scoooooooooooooooooooore!!!!!

#11 clockworx

clockworx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:51 PM

Let's hope there's some 2.1 and Froyo in our future :-D

#12 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 04:56 PM

Great news and I hope they follow through. This would definitely be a reason to keep the device, instead of returning it.

#13 Wineaux

Wineaux

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 05:01 PM

Hopefully this will get some of the people from over at Cyanogen excited about the PDN and get them doing some really killer mods!

#14 bodex

bodex

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

Nice! I was just about to email them too, they must have sensed it coming.

#15 enjoys1

enjoys1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 01:03 AM

Great News !!!

#16 jackbox

jackbox

Banned Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:09 AM

I just recieved an email from CS at pandigital and they said that the source code will be available for download on the website shortly :)

My guess is that they don't understand what you are asking for and think you are asking about downloading the firmware. Since the PDN is supposed to be a closed eReader system, I seriously doubt they will ever release the source code to the public. Since they have made modifications to it, they are not obligated to do so under the GNU.

#17 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 05:28 AM

I had considered that. All the more reason for people to keep emailing them.

#18 coloreddust

coloreddust

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

Looks like others are questioning Pandigital also on releasing their source code, because if they do not they are violating GPL:http://lists.gpl-vio...uly/002182.html

#19 POTI

POTI

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:16 AM

I sent them a standard GPL request form letter and this is what they replied with."Unfortunately the source code is currently not available, however we expect it to be available shortly. Sorry for any trouble this causes.

We can best help you through our toll free customer service line. Please give us a call at (1-800) 715-5354 during the hours listed below. When you call, please have your Novel and receipt with you and give the service agent the phone number or email address that you recorded here so that we are able to quickly access your history."

#20 lawman

lawman

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:22 AM

Keep asking.