Android Tablets Forum banner

[Issue] - Gemei G9 - General Issues

20K views 58 replies 28 participants last post by  MrARN 
#1 ·
Hello guys!

I'm a proud owner of Gemei G9 too and of course, I flashed the Momo11 version on it, and I'm happily surprised about its fast response.
I however feel, that opening programs often take longer than on stock firmware. Is it just me, or do other ppl experienced similar issues.
Also it happened on both of my devices, that it reboots automatically, when using it more intensive, and after reboot, the WIFI doesn't work anymore.
One has to shutdown, and boot it to make it work again.

I hope this little Gemei community will grow fastly and become big with a lot of mods and custom roms etc :-D haha

#2 ·
I have not had any reboot or wifi issues with my device.
Have you tried running my "SuperScript"?
Did you format the device when installing the MOMO11 firmware?

Once the device is rooted, you may want to play around with SetCPU.
I think one reason you notice a difference in performance is that the Stock Gemei firmwares default the CPU to Performance, which means the CPU is always running at 1008 mhz.
the MOMO11 firmware defaults the CPU to OnDemand, meaning it auto adjusts/clocks down which helps with battery life, but can cause that initial delay in using a program.

Tasselhof

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Well, now I own a $300.00 Brick.

I got my Gemei G9 at the beginning of this week. I installed a few apps, one was the Sling Player app for my Sling Box. All worked fine for about an hour then it crashed and upon reboot reverted back to factory settings. I reset everything a few times to my preferences but then my home button stopped working. I tried resetting to factory settings manually in Settings. Still no progress so I decided to flash to stock firmware from the Gemei download site.
After flashing, I was no longer able to get Flash to load. even though it was pre-installed, I could not get it to open the settings page at Adobe.
I decided to try the other firmware options and finally downloaded the Momo firmware provided here. Well after flashing and reboot, my touchscreen would not respond. I decided to re-flash but of course, without the touchscreen responding, I could not power down to flash. I decided to try the reset button on the back of the tablet.
Now nothing!!!

Please, if anyone knows how to recover please let me know. I waited a month to get this tablet now it just will not work.

Cheers,
Sean

Edit, I walked away for a bit and came back to try the power again and it is booting up into Momo again but it still has the issue with the touch screen not responding. Any work around for this?

#5 ·
OK, I found my own work around. Luckily, I ordered a 9.7" keyboard case over a month ago when I first placed my order for the Gemei G9 and was able to get it to turn off with the keyboard arrows and enter. I have flashed Momo 11 again and still the same issue with no touch screen. I guess I will be flashing back to Gemei G9 stock firmware and hope for some early improvements and Flash support soon.

Cheers,
Sean

#9 ·
The latest Gemei G9 stock firmware that is in the firmware section is REALLY good.. it is on par to better than the MOMO11 firmware.

Tasselhof

#13 ·
Hi all,

just got mine from AliExpress (Shenzen SOC whatever Alex), the black back / brown frame.

Quite good so far, ok little space between frame and display on top right corner, but hey, it's not an iPad.

Firmware seems to be quite new, build date 20120319, Baseband 4.0, only 3 crapps installed.

BUT, what is really driving me crazy: there is a faint creaking sound from the speakers for about 5 seconds whenever it is playing a "key touch response sound" or whatever that is called in english ;-) sounds like a massively distortet silence from the actual sound file.

funnily that doesn't happen for all sounds, for instance the standard turn off sound.

Anyone else having this problems, or even better an idea how to get rid of it without turning off sound completely?

As I said, it is really driving me crazy

#17 ·
I`m having the same issues with the "buzz" from the speaker.

The noise appears when I make a selection on the touchscreen, then dissapears.

I`m pretty sure this is a firmware issue, as when I was running momo11 firmware (with a mouse attached because of touchscreen issues" there was no buzzing from the speakers

#18 ·
I have the same issue with speakers. I noticed when it's charging from wall charger and you play with device sound is horrible too loud. But when you disconnect from charger I don't hear it again. Only for a few seconds in some apps. I might think that this is not a software issue but purely hardware.

#19 ·
I have just received my G9 today. I too have the funny buzzy sound... but only noticed it when the power is plugged in. When on battery seems ok. I have the black cover and 4.0 software installed. Will be planning to flash it later.... maybe that will fix the sound issue.

#20 · (Edited by Moderator)
Received my Gemei G9 from Merimobiles yesterday. I have a screen issue where there's a portion of the screen on the right that doesn't register touches, it's just right of the unlock circle on the unlock screen, so it's difficult to unlock (have to swipe left to unlcock via camera...), and it makes typing impossible on screen (using swiftkey for tabs) as the keys I want to touch don't register, but keys either side of that key do register... so I've applied for an RMA... oh well any thoughts in the mean time? Issue is intermittent as well, which is probably even more annoying, worried that they might not be able to reproduce the issue at the factory if I send it back... it seems if i swipe quickly then it unlocks, but slowly it doesn't register and it bounces back, but the problem with the onscreen keyboard (swiftkey tab) is still there, keyboards with bigger keys are okay though... (kinda was getting to like swiftkey tab though so can't really live with a dead strip of screen real estate....

Definitely a dead strip, activated screen touches overlay from developer options and the touch point jumps a gap, will make a video later, after work.

#22 ·
Received my Gemei G9 from Merimobiles yesterday. I have a screen issue where there's a portion of the screen on the right that doesn't register touches, it's just right of the unlock circle on the unlock screen, so it's difficult to unlock (have to swipe left to unlcock via camera...), and it makes typing impossible on screen as the keys I want to touch don't register, but keys either side of that key do register... so I've applied for an RMA... oh well any thoughts in the mean time? Issue is intermittent as well, which is probably even more annoying, worried that they might not be able to reproduce the issue at the factory if I send it back...
Try a firmware update.
You may also want to open it up and just reseat the touchscreen cable.

Tasselhof

#30 ·
I have the G9 with the black back and I have had a few issues with mine as well. I use the new stock fw and I use the superscript for various bits and peices.

I initially had the crckling sound that some refer to but this has subsided and I no longer have this at all. I had it all set up the way I like and went to use it earlier today and for some reason everything had gone and it had reset itself to chinese language which was weird. I proceeded to intall my apps from a titanium backup and managed to intsall three before it said it was full, when I check storage it had no internal memory for apps registered at all. usually about 1GB i think. I also had problems getting flash to work for sometime but found out how to resolve this. I used root explorer and deleted flash from my system apps went to the play store and downloaded and it worked fine there on, in most browsers Dolphin, opera and another cant mind the name. I will reflash it tonight and hopefully this will resolve the problems.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction to make a proper nandroid backup of this device with my apps in case this happens again and secondly is there a way to increase storage for apps to about 4GB of the 16GB instead of 1GB as most of my files go on a USB Drive or Ext SD.

#32 ·
When I say everything reset, the tablet went back to factory settings no idea why. As for the crackling sound this was only apparent the first few days and only when connected by usb to the pc. I have had some charging issues also for a while when charging via the mains it would say full on tablet then when I disconnect 0%. This seems to have resolved also and it seems to hold its charge ok now. I just left it of and plugged in via the mains overnight it initially only charged to 93% but the following night 100% I have had no problems with the battery since.

#40 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi Friends,

I got my Gemei G9 from merimobiles today. The back panel color is black. Gemei g9 not recognizing my microsd card. I have tried 2 different ones and still no go, cards working fine on computer and mobile. Baseband 4.00, build 19-03-12

I upgraded the firmware to the latest one from Gemeitech. Still microcd slot not working.

New thing i noticed that the DC charging port is also not working. Included charger is working fine though. I used the included charger to charge Onda Vi40 for test and it works. So its definitely DC port.

I could live without the Microsd card slot but damn cant live without the DC charging port

Update: Merimobiles issued RMA, so this unit is going back to them.

Cheers, Sumit

#42 ·
After installation, please follow these directions to get it switched over to English.
Here are my detailed instructions for what to do after flashing the firmware to your device to get it to a "normal" English state:
4.) Change the language to English
a.) Click on the Time (give it a second to come up)
b.) Click on the Settings Icon below the popped up time (three lines with sliders)
c.) Click on the Settings Icon at the bottom of the popped up list (same icon)
d.) Scroll down the Left Hand side and click on the icon with an A
e.) Click the first field on the right hand side
f.) Select your preferred language (for me it would be English (United States)
5.) Change the Default Keyboard in the same settings page as lanuage
a.) Click on Default
b.) Click on English (US) - Android keyboard
6.) Set the Date, Time, and Time Zone
a.) Click on Date & Time along the left hand side of the settings
b.) Uncheck Automatic Time Zone
c.) Click on Select time zone and set it to yours
d.) Verify the time is correct and change it if needed.
8.) Exit the Settings​
Tasselhof

#45 ·
No there shouldn't be an auto update, but did you run my Superscript from the 4.0.15 firmware?

If you ran my SuperScript it will change the device description.

tasselhof

#49 ·
Try it a couple times... Or reboot... Or clear cache etc...

It should go through at one point.

Otherwise you can search google for the APK file and manually install.

Tasselhof

#52 ·
Got one few days ago. Finally had my hands on it today and found one issue: some applications keep crashing while on battery and in portrait mode. This is the most notable with Adobe Reader (also many other PDF readers on all pdf documents). It just always crashes few seconds after going to portrait mode.
Sometimes opera and market keep crashing also, but I can't reproduce this on regular basis.

Unfortunately, pdf thing is the most critical for me, as I bougt tablet mostly for reading pdf documents

My firmware version is 4.15-CHS.

Had anyone experienced the same issue?
Does it seem like HW or SW failure?
What would you suggest to try to fix the issue?

Thanks in advance.

#53 ·
Hi really need help here. Why my G9 cant play game like Need for speed or fred? Cos my tablet cant control left and right while in game.
Rotation no problem beside gaming.
Btw why my G9 look so diff from you all ?is it mine is a fake set or OEM set?
Seller told me this is a china set not taiwan set so there is a different in design.

#56 ·
Hi really need help here. Why my G9 cant play game like Need for speed or fred? Cos my tablet cant control left and right while in game.
Rotation no problem beside gaming.
Btw why my G9 look so diff from you all ?is it mine is a fake set or OEM set?
Seller told me this is a china set not taiwan set so there is a different in design.
Not to worry. Your set not OEM or fake set. few of my frs got it also, have check with manufacturer side. It ordinary, manufacturer side release this special edition batch only to those with good relationship with them

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.