Android Tablets Forum banner

Pimp My M001

34K views 72 replies 34 participants last post by  updownbb 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I specialize in gaming handhelds but thought I'd dip my hands into the android tablet world by trying to mod my first m001. Things done to the stock Eken M001Redesigned new back coverCompacted speakerRelocated wifi cardUSB hub2x external USB female portsRemoved 3.5mm headphone jack (gasp!)Front facing webcam (driver absent)8gb Lacie flashdriveFixed 'bleeding' light of front facing LEDs[glow=red,2,300]5200 mAh [/glow]combined battery!!!!!! (it was originally 1600)Second outake of video. Eken M001 Mod

See less See more
1 4
#2 ·
Video 1: Proving m001 can run on 7.4v external as my secondary battery will be wired in parallel to the port. Test RunPost-dremel pictures.This is what it should look like from the back. Pictures after expoxying the inside for structural supportFirst stage of sanding and paintingVideo 2: First round of sanding and spray painting after bondo and gluing new frame. DSCN0473.AVIVideo 3: NEW DEVELOPMENT ON USB WEBCAM!When wired singly to the usb wireless card port, the usb webcam does not get initiated!The settings under wifi keep shutting off the wifi hardware port making it impossible to wire it singly to that port. A usb hub will be taken into consideration with wireless card wired onto also to try and initiate webcamDSCN0478.AVIVideo 4: Cutting hole and positioning front-facing USB webcamDSCN0492.AVIVideo 5: Overall cosmetics review of new machineDSCN0495.AVI

#3 ·
Video 6: Not all USB hubs will work with this machine due to driver absenceDSCN0498.AVIVideo 7: Figuring what triggers the shutoff/initiate of the USB wifi portDSCN0505.AVIVideo 8: Initiate test run of USB hub with wifi cardNote: wifi card MUST be on the USB hub in order for the machine to trigger that port active. If wifi card is absent, the machine will shut off power to the port; shutting off any peripheral wired to it. DSCN0508.AVI--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Video 9: Compact wiring of USB hub with wifi card. Compacting the speaker. DSCN0511.AVIVideo 10: Finishing wiring to USB webcam and external female port. Tried different USB peripherals on external female port. DSCN0516.AVIHow I setup the external USB female portHow it all looks before the flashdrive is installed

#4 ·
The Lacie 8gb flashdrive heats up quickly so I had to separate it from the other boardsUsed wire-tie mounts as a riser to raise the hub above the CPU board.The 7.4v 3600mah Li-ion batteryWhere the secondary battery will be placed.Everything before I wire the battery to the external power plugVideo 11: Internal USB devices cannot be initiated without triggering on/off of Data lines. DSCN0527.AVIVideo 12: External USB ports and a possible solution to solve the internal USB flashdrive problem. USB port assembly

#8 ·
Prepping up a walmart 4 port USB hub then soldering it to the USB port on the motherboard, wifi card and webcam. That's going to leave 2 open ports which will be integrated into the machine as external USB female ports for connection of external peripherals such as flashdrives, etc.

#14 ·
WIRING UPDATE: Finished wiring USB hub to the wifi USB port. Completed wiring the stock wifi card to USB1 on hub. Minimized the wiring and compacted the speaker to the original location. @ch4rlliNo I haven't started anything on the camera yet as cosmetics and having a working USB hub was my first priority. I'm going to begin work on the camera tomorrow.

#15 ·
WIRING UPDATE: Finishing wiring webcam and female USB port to USB hub. Tried running these peripherials on female USB port to see which will work. Apple Keyboard- worksRocketfish travel mouse- works, cursor appears on screen and scrolling worksSD card reader- doesn't work500gb SATA harddrive- DOESN'T WORK- DON'T TRY IT!!!flashdrive- inconclusive since I didn't have any software (my machine has no major software) works, ran it with ASTRO

#17 ·
Wow! Amazing work!One thing you might want to check more though, is how you've taped the CPU and put the USB hub right on it - it's the hottest component in teh system and you may be trapping the heat very effectively that way.IDK but that may cause problems later on ... you might want to think about an alternative to that. Just trying to help.

#18 ·
FLASHDRIVE UPDATE: I installed the flashdrive but I used a mac and when I formatted the drive before putting it into the machine, I forgot that macs usually format in Mac osx extended journal. This caused the machine to not read the drive so I had to desolder everything and reformat it to fat32. Keep in mind that the machine seems to only take fat/fat32 flashdrives ONLY and no other format. @ikanosI think I'll redo the hub and make it hover above the CPU with some standoffs.

#19 ·
[quote author=Carnivore link=topic=351.msg4773#msg4773 date=1275601702]FLASHDRIVE UPDATE: I installed the flashdrive but I used a mac and when I formatted the drive before putting it into the machine, I forgot that macs usually format in Mac osx extended journal. This caused the machine to not read the drive so I had to desolder everything and reformat it to fat32. Keep in mind that the machine seems to only take fat/fat32 flashdrives ONLY and no other format. @ikanosI think I'll redo the hub and make it hover above the CPU with some standoffs. [/quote]what do you think of some male/female headers until the hardware development (hacking) stage ends?

#20 ·
[quote author=itanium link=topic=351.msg4817#msg4817 date=1275611582][quote author=Carnivore link=topic=351.msg4773#msg4773 date=1275601702]FLASHDRIVE UPDATE: I installed the flashdrive but I used a mac and when I formatted the drive before putting it into the machine, I forgot that macs usually format in Mac osx extended journal. This caused the machine to not read the drive so I had to desolder everything and reformat it to fat32. Keep in mind that the machine seems to only take fat/fat32 flashdrives ONLY and no other format. @ikanosI think I'll redo the hub and make it hover above the CPU with some standoffs. [/quote]what do you think of some male/female headers until the hardware development (hacking) stage ends?[/quote]I don't understand the question? Oh I sort of tried to label all the videos? I don't know how I can really categorize everything as all the things interact with each other.

#21 ·
WIRING UPDATE: USB flash drive was installed to USB3, it takes about a full minute for the machine to recognize the flashdrive before it can access it? Yeah I was a little puzzled at that also! I used wire-tie mounts as a riser between the CPU board and the USB hub. The only thing left to do is wire the secondary battery to the external power port and port a webcam driver.

#22 ·
TEST RUN UPDATE: Thank god I put the risers on the hub! After 30 min of intense test runs, I noticed that the main chip on the CPU board, main chip on the USB hub and flashdrive produce noticeable heat. I don't think there's really a way to remove this heat other than small heatsinks or a fan(not probable). Flashdrive is still going hay-wire (triggering on and off randomly). I'm not sure what's wrong with it as I triple checked my wiring. Will have to get back on that by tomorrow.

#24 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.