• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 QMac10

QMac10

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 07:26 AM

Hello everyone!!

I thought I would give you new users some info about my experience so far.

This is my first android device and first tablet. I have a iphone 4.

I just got my tablet yesterday from Hong Hong from Aliexpress http://www.aliexpres...m/store/100845. It was sent via DHL the 1st time but it got lost, second time it was successful :).

I had to pay £6.99 fee (VAT) which isn't too bad. I have purchased a £300 UMPC a couple of years ago from Japan, and I didn't have to pay anything hmmm.

It came pre-installed with ICS which was very nice graphically but I decided downgrade back to 2.3 using the latest cube 2.3 firmware.

I followed these instructions provided by cube & edited by Fyre.

The instructions provided by Cube for firmware upgrade is rather confusing - even to someone who understands Chinese. I've translated the instructions along with my own inputs below. :) The instructions could be helpful to anyone using the RKBatchTool to upgrade / flash firmware for devices running on RK2918.

Instructions

1. While the tablet is powered off, press and hold the "Volume Down" button (3rd button from the left) then connect the USB cable.

2. If you have not installed any RK2918 driver before, then you will be prompted to install the driver. As the installation package includes the drivers, please find and install manually. The drivers are located at the folder "升级驱动". Please select the drivers from: (1) the CPU architecture (x86 or amd64) and then (2) the operating system (XP, Vista, Win7).

3. Go to the "酷比魔方U9GT 2升级工具" folder, then run "RKBatchTool.exe". This is the firmware upgrade tool. If you encounter a critical error "Loading config file failed!", then you need to rename the folder to a simpler, non-Chinese name such as "Tool". As the interface is in Chinese, click the button "语言" (the first button from the left, at the row of 6 buttons) and select "英文" to toggle the language to English.

4. If the driver is installed correctly and the tablet is detected, there will be a green box in the "Connected Devices".

5. Click the "..." button beside the "FW Path" and then locate the firmware image, e.g. "U9GT2 V1.04_20111122.img".

6. Click the "Upgrade" button (the second button from the left).

7. There is nothing left to do but to wait patiently for the tablet to complete the flashing process. The tablet will be ready for use (i.e. completes flashing) when it automatically switches on.

Video from Youku: http://v.youku.com/v...I4NDY2Njc2.html
(The video is of poor resolution and the procedure is shown really fast, so you can't really tell what's going on!)

Download the latest official firmware here: http://51cube.com/tools.asp :good:
(The server is really, really slow sometimes.)

Let's keep our fingers crossed for the release of ICS for U9GT2!!! :drinks:

The next stage was to root the device so that I can remove the unnecessary apps and the Chinese & Japanese keyboard. I tried using Superoneclick but that didn't work, so I used gingerbreak.apk instead. (copy onto your micro SD card and install)

once I removed the unnecessary apps and then renamed the following apps using root explorer with superuser permission.

telephonyprovider.apk

phone.apk

contacts.apk.

The screen is absolutely fantastic and battery life, I have really had the chance to test it out yet.

I am just waiting for my leather case, which is lost in the post...great!!!

I have installed;

Juice Defender

Titanium back up

Dolpin Browser

Go Launcher

Go Locker

Aldiko

Skype (Will test it video calling in the next couple of days)

Couple of annoying problems.

1. When I unlock the tablet after it has been idle for a few minutes, the wifi takes a couple of seconds to be switched back on. Is this normal?

2. I installed go locker, but I want to change the lock screen apps. Do any of you guys recommend any other app?

Edited by QMac10, 14 March 2012 - 07:27 AM.

• Matt Drake likes this

#2 hinchoy

hinchoy

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:44 AM

I just got my OEM 'Cube' tablet today ordered online but it doesn't come with an Instruction Manual. How do I get the instruction manual? If it is unavailable online, can someone scan and email it to me. What is the input at the side mark "Host"?

Thanks

hinchoy@gmail.com

#3 dmagee

dmagee

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 04:38 AM

Check the advanced settings on WiFi, there is a sleep policy it looks like it is set to switch off WiFi when screen turns off, just change the policy to never sleep :D

Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk

#4 QMac10

QMac10

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

Thanks for that, I will have a look later. Turning it off, will that drain the battery even more?

Also I can't seem to find the menu to battery usage, I'm sure it's in the "about phone". I can get the battery usage when the tablet is low battery.

#5 QMac10

QMac10

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:48 AM

Also I have updated Android Market to Goggle Play. I find that many apps are now incompatible with the U9GT2 :(.

I am using 2.3 Firmware.

#6 dufas

dufas

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hello,

I am looking to buy my first tablet, and had appeared to be set on the Zenithink C91 Upgrade for £125 ish....I then saw a 9.7inch IPS with similar specs...and in the last half hour of browsing these forums I have found lots of other 9.7" IPS tablets for similar prices with decent specs.

The Cube U9GT2 is one of them. Now you've had the tablet a while are you glad you purchased it?

I'm undecided between the Cube, the ci40, or ampe a90!

Kind Regards,

Neil

#7 dufas

dufas

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 01:08 PM

Having now experienced this tablet, would you recommend getting one?

I was going to get the Zenithink C91 upgrade, but have this evening found lots of 9.7" IPS screen tablets so am looking at these instead!

#8 motherofallbattles

motherofallbattles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:31 AM

Also I have updated Android Market to Goggle Play. I find that many apps are now incompatible with the U9GT2 :(.

I am using 2.3 Firmware.

run BONDO2 fix for android market,its on this forum

#9 motherofallbattles

motherofallbattles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:37 AM

Having now experienced this tablet, would you recommend getting one?

I was going to get the Zenithink C91 upgrade, but have this evening found lots of 9.7" IPS screen tablets so am looking at these instead!

if your looking for a IPS screen tablet as i'm a seller, i'd go with the Onda vi40 at the moment 1 of the best on the market it also as HDMI and dual camera's rear 5mp,great screen,A10 chip very fast,running android.4.0 with all the most wanted apps working netflix,youtube,skype,bbc iplayer,etc etc
and modded roms coming from Roman on this forum
  • Johnny0110 likes this

#10 Johnny0110

Johnny0110

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

if your looking for a IPS screen tablet as i'm a seller, i'd go with the Onda vi40 at the moment 1 of the best on the market it also as HDMI and dual camera's rear 5mp,great screen,A10 chip very fast,running android.4.0 with all the most wanted apps working netflix,youtube,skype,bbc iplayer,etc etc
and modded roms coming from Roman on this forum

Good to know !!!!!!!!!

I posted this on another thread but... any 9.7/10" tablets out there like the U9GT2 or the Onda that have GPS on them?

JT

#11 motherofallbattles

motherofallbattles

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:02 AM

Good to know !!!!!!!!!

I posted this on another thread but... any 9.7/10" tablets out there like the U9GT2 or the Onda that have GPS on them?

JT

Hi
i don't believe they is any of the 9.7" IPS screen tablets running internal GPS,but as gps can also work through a external dongle i do not know if they have the drivers/commands to support GPS that way.
They is of course the 10" tablets which don't have IPS screens and are not the super thin tablets coming out of china,which support external wired GPS,and a few working with external dongles
hope this helps

#12 RoMEJA

RoMEJA

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 10:29 AM

I just bought mine 1 week ago so far all I have seen was Android Boot logo and that is it... supplyer won't respond or help and PC won't recognise the device at all :(

Going to buy more known brands in the future since I think you spend more time fixing these things than actually using them..

#13 Linda53

Linda53

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 June 2012 - 10:28 AM

Hello, I bought a 4.0 Cube from Amazon (because the import fees were 'unknown' through other sites). Aside from a Chinese instruction book, my son was able to figure out that we needed to do a hard reboot to get the tablet back to defaults. It appears that it was shipped with testing configuration and no menu that could be accessed! That was my only problem. Once I got my menu icon (upper right hand of the screen), I was fine. I have had no issues with the tablet, the battery lasts so long I forgot I needed to charge it and it ran out :), the screen is beautiful, and I'm an idiot when it comes to screen savers, which were supplied in abundance.

I am very happy with my purchase.

Linda

#14 Matt Drake

Matt Drake

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 01:17 PM

Recently purchased a Window N90 from Amazon but I'm having trouble connecting it to my laptop (windows7) and getting paid apps to appear in Google Play Store. This is my first tablet so a little naive on how they work. Any help in replicating what you've achieved would be great.

I follow step 1 in the quotes of the OP. When it prompts me for the driver I direct it to the correct file (it even appears when the 'show compatible hardware' is checked) However i get a message saying Driver is not intended for this platform. I've tried it several times using the OTG port and AMD drivers, holding Volume + and - and all combinations of the above but no luck.

Can anyone help?!?!?