I thought I would give you new users some info about my experience so far.
This is my first android device and first tablet. I have a iphone 4.
I just got my tablet yesterday from Hong Hong from Aliexpress http://www.aliexpres...m/store/100845. It was sent via DHL the 1st time but it got lost, second time it was successful .
I had to pay £6.99 fee (VAT) which isn't too bad. I have purchased a £300 UMPC a couple of years ago from Japan, and I didn't have to pay anything hmmm.
It came pre-installed with ICS which was very nice graphically but I decided downgrade back to 2.3 using the latest cube 2.3 firmware.
I followed these instructions provided by cube & edited by Fyre.
The instructions provided by Cube for firmware upgrade is rather confusing - even to someone who understands Chinese. I've translated the instructions along with my own inputs below. The instructions could be helpful to anyone using the RKBatchTool to upgrade / flash firmware for devices running on RK2918.
1. While the tablet is powered off, press and hold the "Volume Down" button (3rd button from the left) then connect the USB cable.
2. If you have not installed any RK2918 driver before, then you will be prompted to install the driver. As the installation package includes the drivers, please find and install manually. The drivers are located at the folder "升级驱动". Please select the drivers from: (1) the CPU architecture (x86 or amd64) and then (2) the operating system (XP, Vista, Win7).
3. Go to the "酷比魔方U9GT 2升级工具" folder, then run "RKBatchTool.exe". This is the firmware upgrade tool. If you encounter a critical error "Loading config file failed!", then you need to rename the folder to a simpler, non-Chinese name such as "Tool". As the interface is in Chinese, click the button "语言" (the first button from the left, at the row of 6 buttons) and select "英文" to toggle the language to English.
4. If the driver is installed correctly and the tablet is detected, there will be a green box in the "Connected Devices".
5. Click the "..." button beside the "FW Path" and then locate the firmware image, e.g. "U9GT2 V1.04_20111122.img".
6. Click the "Upgrade" button (the second button from the left).
7. There is nothing left to do but to wait patiently for the tablet to complete the flashing process. The tablet will be ready for use (i.e. completes flashing) when it automatically switches on.
Video from Youku: http://v.youku.com/v...I4NDY2Njc2.html
(The video is of poor resolution and the procedure is shown really fast, so you can't really tell what's going on!)
Download the latest official firmware here: http://51cube.com/tools.asp
(The server is really, really slow sometimes.)
Let's keep our fingers crossed for the release of ICS for U9GT2!!!
The next stage was to root the device so that I can remove the unnecessary apps and the Chinese & Japanese keyboard. I tried using Superoneclick but that didn't work, so I used gingerbreak.apk instead. (copy onto your micro SD card and install)
once I removed the unnecessary apps and then renamed the following apps using root explorer with superuser permission.
The screen is absolutely fantastic and battery life, I have really had the chance to test it out yet.
I am just waiting for my leather case, which is lost in the post...great!!!
I have installed;
Titanium back up
Skype (Will test it video calling in the next couple of days)
Couple of annoying problems.
1. When I unlock the tablet after it has been idle for a few minutes, the wifi takes a couple of seconds to be switched back on. Is this normal?
2. I installed go locker, but I want to change the lock screen apps. Do any of you guys recommend any other app?
Edited by QMac10, 14 March 2012 - 07:27 AM.