Installing Clockwork Mod Recovery

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 bdogz24

bdogz24

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

If you are able to reach cwm through novotool but not through the button combo then it sounds like a bootloader problem. Since you can get to cwm i would suggest making a nandroid backup and then flash android-kuns ecr .8a, it is supposed to have a new bootloader so it may solve the problem.

#42 beltet

beltet

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 09:23 AM

If you are able to reach cwm through novotool but not through the button combo then it sounds like a bootloader problem. Since you can get to cwm i would suggest making a nandroid backup and then flash android-kuns ecr .8a, it is supposed to have a new bootloader so it may solve the problem.

Hasn't android-kun impleted it into 1.0a ecr? Because that is the one i'm using. or dosen't it include any bootloader and uses the stock one? Isn't there any way to just flash a new bootloader? Otherwise I have no probs with flashing 0.8a and then upgrade to 1.0a, but it would be more convienient to just flash bootloader.

Sincerely

EDIT: Btw, I didn't wipe the dalvik cache prior installing ecr 1.0a, can that be related to my problem?

Edited by beltet, 30 March 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#43 fun_

fun_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

correct. key for entering recovery depends on bootloader. ainol changed key assign (at least) once. I know "BACK + POWER" works on 0.9(official rom ver., not clean rom ver.) bootloader and probably it was different on 0.4(official rom ver.). (sorry, I don't have Adv2/Elf/Aurora so I don't know detail)

to update bootloader, please use livesuite. there is another way, but livesuite is better for now.
http://androtab.info/

#44 beltet

beltet

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

correct. key for entering recovery depends on bootloader. ainol changed key assign (at least) once. I know "BACK + POWER" works on 0.9(official rom ver., not clean rom ver.) bootloader and probably it was different on 0.4(official rom ver.). (sorry, I don't have Adv2/Elf/Aurora so I don't know detail)

to update bootloader, please use livesuite. there is another way, but livesuite is better for now.

Aaaah ok. I didn't bother with livesuit when I was updating to ecr 1.0a because I thougt it dind't matter.
Then I will update to official (1.0) with livesuit and get the new bootloader.
Then I install cwm again and flash ecr 1.0a through cwm. And then it would be fine.
Will test this when I come home from my weekend trip. Will report back how it went.

#45 fun_

fun_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

Aaaah ok. I didn't bother with livesuit when I was updating to ecr 1.0a because I thougt it dind't matter.
Then I will update to official (1.0) with livesuit and get the new bootloader.
Then I install cwm again and flash ecr 1.0a through cwm. And then it would be fine.
Will test this when I come home from my weekend trip. Will report back how it went.

I think updating bootloader via livesuite is not necessary for every time. when you feel something wrong(this case), or just too old, updating may be necessary.
there is a option to keep data while updating via livesuite, but I'm not sure it's safe to keep data over custom rom -> official rom -> custom rom, so please make backup before updating. you can restore it after updating bootloader and re-installing ecr.

btw, for Aurora, ecr 1.0a livesuite ver. should contain 1.0 bootloader and cwm so just installing ecr 1.0a livesuite ver. should be enough.

#46 manaurys

manaurys

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

i do this but is just no working is not flashing the cwm recovery i dont know why and when i download the novotooll apk it say there is a problem parsing the package
after doing the instructions i have try to boot into cwm but is not is the regular ainol recovery

#47 apoq

apoq

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:41 AM

I'm using Feiyu's Mod from early March and wanted to intall CW recovery. I am not using any external SD card so I pasted the files in the archive in /sdcard, which I guess is the mount point for the internal memory.
Unfortunately sh install-recovery.sh fails saying:
mkdir failed for /mnt/recovery. Read-only file system
mount: No such file or directory
.. bla bla
I finally got rid of this by simmultaneously opening RootExplorer and mounting file system as R/W. When booting into recovery though, it fails to mount the sdcard so I cannot choose zip to install. Anyone has any idea what is going on here? I find it weird that I got the first error to start with, and maybe my workaround was not the success I had hoped for :)

Thanks

[SOLVED]
I had chosen the wrong Clockwork Recovery to download, the one for Gingerbread. I downloaded the ICS variant and everything went smooth as butter.

Edited by apoq, 03 April 2012 - 02:53 AM.

#48 gregor1

gregor1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:36 AM

grab aurora CWM file from http://androtab.info...nmod/allwinner/

unzip the cwm zip to your sd card (using file explorer or root explorer) and then use terminal program on aurora and type these commands

su
cd /sdcard
sh install-recovery.sh

basically su gets superuser permission, then cd /sdcard changes the directory to the sd card where the install-recovery.sh file is. running sh install-recovery.sh will run the install-recovery script file which will copy the recovery img to the /data folder

then just shutdown the normal way and start up with back&power - you will now see the CWM console which has blue text and more options. if you are seeing green text, you dont have CWM installed

you can use CWM to install CWM images which you download from wherever of your choosing, these are zip files.

::disclaimer:: do this at your own risk

Two newbie questions:

1) please tell me how can I access, use terminal program, is this an icon in ICS or ?
2) what does mean "start up with back&power?, please explain startup procedure (which keys do I have to hold....)

Btw, my elf will arrive tomorrow. :yahoo:

Thank you.

#49 apoq

apoq

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

Hello,
1. For the terminal you must install an app. You can find a few on the Market (Play). This one will do the trick: link

2. When you get your tablet you will have two buttons. One is the power button, the one you normally hold to start your tablet. The other button is the Back button you press to go back in an app. To start the recovery just press the back button and while holding this down, also press and hold the power button for about 10 seconds (untill you see the tablet powering up). The buttons you can see here (I don't know why the link is not introduced but just google "Ainol Elf" images. You will find the page from ********* with the button description). I presume ESC is the back button we're refering to.

Enjoy your tablet

Two newbie questions:

1) please tell me how can I access, use terminal program, is this an icon in ICS or ?
2) what does mean "start up with back&power?, please explain startup procedure (which keys do I have to hold....)

Btw, my elf will arrive tomorrow. :yahoo:

Thank you.

Edited by apoq, 03 April 2012 - 07:49 AM.

#50 gregor1

gregor1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:17 AM

Thank you for your kind answer.

Now whole procedure is more clear to me.

Here is the link to elf buttons:

Posted Image

Kind regards

Edited by gregor1, 03 April 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#51 gregor1

gregor1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 01:28 PM

Few more question,

Before I install new rom, which options regarding wipe data, clear cache.... do I have to select in CWM?

And if for example I install a rom which does not work ok, can I than search for different rom and install it over the bad rom?

Last question :) , If I have on tablet a lot of games, apps, movies, music...do I lose all this data if I flash new rom (new version)

Thank you.

Kind regards

#52 beltet

beltet

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

I think updating bootloader via livesuite is not necessary for every time. when you feel something wrong(this case), or just too old, updating may be necessary.
there is a option to keep data while updating via livesuite, but I'm not sure it's safe to keep data over custom rom -> official rom -> custom rom, so please make backup before updating. you can restore it after updating bootloader and re-installing ecr.

btw, for Aurora, ecr 1.0a livesuite ver. should contain 1.0 bootloader and cwm so just installing ecr 1.0a livesuite ver. should be enough.

OK, I have tested this but the problem is now that i have problem with flashing with livesuit. I followed gearfreaks guide for livesuit and when you have selected the image you are supposed to go into recovery mode. but i cant do that of the fu bootloader. so any idea what I should do?
Can you flash with livesuit if you are in cwm? or can you flash the livesuit image in cwm?

sincerely

#53 fun_

fun_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:32 AM

OK, I have tested this but the problem is now that i have problem with flashing with livesuit. I followed gearfreaks guide for livesuit and when you have selected the image you are supposed to go into recovery mode. but i cant do that of the fu bootloader. so any idea what I should do?
Can you flash with livesuit if you are in cwm? or can you flash the livesuit image in cwm?

at first, recovery mode (to run stock recovery and/or my CWM) and flashing mode for livesuit is totally different.

my CWM(and stock recovery) is just a software which run on tablet. you can choose 2 software to boot, one is Android, another is recovery. you can use them only when they are fine.

livesuit and livesuit image are very powerful tool/image. it can flash whole things on tablet. to use livesuit, neither Android nor recovery is not necessary on tablet. they are ignored and replaced by new one in livesuite image. all work is done by livesuit.
all you need is to enter flashing mode for livesuit like as "power off completely, press & hold some button, connect USB with PC, press POWER button several times".

then, CWM and livesuit are different. images are different too.

#54 manaurys

manaurys

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:56 AM

i do this but is just no working is not flashing the cwm recovery i dont know why and when i download the novotooll apk it say there is a problem parsing the package
after doing the instructions i have try to boot into cwm but is not is the regular ainol recovery

Any Answer???

#55 beltet

beltet

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 01:22 AM

at first, recovery mode (to run stock recovery and/or my CWM) and flashing mode for livesuit is totally different.

my CWM(and stock recovery) is just a software which run on tablet. you can choose 2 software to boot, one is Android, another is recovery. you can use them only when they are fine.

livesuit and livesuit image are very powerful tool/image. it can flash whole things on tablet. to use livesuit, neither Android nor recovery is not necessary on tablet. they are ignored and replaced by new one in livesuite image. all work is done by livesuit.
all you need is to enter flashing mode for livesuit like as "power off completely, press & hold some button, connect USB with PC, press POWER button several times".

then, CWM and livesuit are different. images are different too.

OK, I understand now, first i thought recovery and flashing mode was the same. And I know understand why livesuit is so great. If you have really fu a flash you could use it livesuit to reflash the whole thing, right?

And I tested again, and it worked now. I have just made the things in the wrong order. Will report back if I have more problems.

Thanks for all the help.

#56 I don´t know

I don´t know

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

Need help , how can i remove the clockworkmod ? i can´t find something about it. I must remove the cwm for warranty - display errors.

#57 bdogz24

bdogz24

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 08:07 PM

Need help , how can i remove the clockworkmod ? i can´t find something about it. I must remove the cwm for warranty - display errors.

Just flash an official release from ainol with livesuit and it will overwrite cwm.

#58 Lythala

Lythala

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:15 AM

Hi all!

I already done with this method, i can boot to recovery "menü", which has blue color letters, but!:

The recovery program cannot mount the built in sd card (/mnt/sdcard)
that is normal, or unique problem for me?
or should i try from external microsd (extcard) or usb?

At the end: for using this upgrade do not need to moun sdcard, just select the install from from internal sdcard.

Edited by Lythala, 24 April 2012 - 07:51 AM.

#59 fiuwe

fiuwe

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 05:05 AM

Hi all,
i succesfully installed CMW, but I have a problem with backup...
CWM saw my sdcard with 145Mb free and when it try to backup /system it advices that there is an error and quit the operation.
I think it's becouse of the storage, but I cannot understand why CWM see only that amount of free space :(

Anyone can help me ?

#60 Twiddler

Twiddler

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 05:40 AM

Hi all, I have bought a ZT282 upgrade 10.2" pad and this one has touch points for all the back, home and menu functions, the only manual buttons are top right camera and the volume up and down and a tiny little round power button, The software is ICS 4.0.3
Is thate a version of CWM that can be used on this, which can be started with camera and power or volume and power?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users