Sanei N90

• Please log in to reply
468 replies to this topic

#41 10yearsgone

10yearsgone

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

Just an FYI for everyone: you can order either SANEI N90 or Ampe A90 (among others) through a US reseller on amazon called Tablet Warehouse USA. A lot of their tablets aren't in stock yet, so there is a bit of wait time as they are fairly new (e.g., the SANEI won't be in stock until April 30). Also, expect to pay more than you would buying from a Chinese company. Personally, I like the fact that, if something goes wrong, I can work with them rather than hassle with a Chinese company.

I've written a couple of emails to them; they got back to me very quickly, and it was a personal response with a lot of useful information rather than a form email. I haven't got my tablet yet, but I'll update and let you know how it all went if there's any interest.

DISCLAIMER: I do not work for Tablet Warehouse USA or receive compensation from them in any way. I just thought some people in the US might like to deal with a US company.

#42 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

I have now upgraded to the latest firmware and it's looking good. :good:

Shadowgun runs nicely and all the Angry Birds including Space run smoothly.

After upgrading the firmware I can connect and transfer files via bluetooth.

The BBC News app looks great on this tablet. Still no working iplayer though.
Web pages load quickly and look great.

PDF magazines which are large and graphically intensive e.g. Computer Shopper, look very clear and load quickly (using QuickOffice Pro).

Battery usage tonight was 33% for 2 hr 20 min which equates to 7 hrs to reach a flat battery.

Very pleased so far.

I had thought of doing a video review but I think Babis's Ampe review covers it as my Sanei looks identical.

I will install Skype v2.5 when I get a moment and try it with my phone.

Jez
Sent from my Sanei N90 using Tapatalk

Edited by Jezzer, 04 April 2012 - 04:33 PM.

Recommended devices shown in Green
My Tablets (current): Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Google Nexus 7, Minix Neo X5, MK808 TV Stick
Phones (current): Samsung Galaxy S2 JB 4.1
Previous in chronological order (most recent first): Ramos W42, Ramos W30HD, Yuandao (Vido) N80IPS, Prestigio MultiPad 8.0 Ultra Duo, Ployer Momo8-IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero, Window N101+, Ployer Momo11 Speed, Window N90-II, Pipo (Movie M3, Mix M2, Max M1), Cube Mini U30GT-M, Cube U30GT-W, Blackberry Playbook, Sanei N90, Zenithink C91 ZT280, Archos 80 G9, Aishuo S2

#43 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 03:07 AM

If you are having problems seeing all apps in Google Play and the build.prop edit doesn't help, try this.
It works great for me. Credits to Pas for this fix.

This works for me to see all the (incompatible) apps in the Play store. Got the information from the fix in the AllwinnerA10 forum and made some changes to make it work for me.

1. Go to settings->apps->all and tap Google Framework, Click on stop and then Clear data

2. Go to settings->apps->all and tap Google Play, Click on stop and then Clear cache (not data)

3. Go to ES file explorer, and enable root explorer and enable mount file system in the settings

4. Backup with ES file explorer /system/etc/permissions (copy to your tf card or usb device )

5. Extract the attached zip Attachment file xmlfiles and copy its content (4 files) in /system/etc/permissions

6. Reboot tablet

7. Open market

Jez
Sent from my Sanei N90 using Tapatalk

Edited by Jezzer, 05 April 2012 - 03:17 AM.

My Tablets (current): Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, Google Nexus 7, Minix Neo X5, MK808 TV Stick
Previous in chronological order (most recent first): Ramos W42, Ramos W30HD, Yuandao (Vido) N80IPS, Prestigio MultiPad 8.0 Ultra Duo, Ployer Momo8-IPS, Ainol Novo 10 Hero, Window N101+, Ployer Momo11 Speed, Window N90-II, Pipo (Movie M3, Mix M2, Max M1), Cube Mini U30GT-M, Cube U30GT-W, Blackberry Playbook, Sanei N90, Zenithink C91 ZT280, Archos 80 G9, Aishuo S2

#44 szirszi

szirszi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:37 AM

Does your battery history looks ok, I mean when you disconnect it from the charger it goes down until next charging? Mine looks weird:

https://picasaweb.go...825374679319602

And another question: sometimes it displays lot of false touches and slide its home screens automatically (usually when it displays low battery levels), and when on charger there are false touches too. Does your tablet do this too?

And there is flashing sometimes on display. And flickering (does not turn on and off, but some lines of displays become thicker and thinner for a moment) too. What do you think, is it a faulty tablet?

My software is the latest, and I did a factory reset, but bad behavior still remain.

Edited by szirszi, 05 April 2012 - 04:51 AM.

#45 babis666

babis666

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:54 AM

Does your battery history looks ok, I mean when you disconnect it from the charger it goes down until next charging? Mine looks weird:

And another question: sometimes it displays lot of false touches and slide its home screens automatically (usually when it displays low battery levels), and when on charger there are false touches too. Does your tablet do this too?

And there is flashing sometimes on display. And flickering too. What do you think, is it a faulty tablet?

My software is the latest, and I did a factory reset, but bad behavior still remain.

This is my battery history
Posted Image

flashing and flickering is a new fruit on the latest firmware, I'm sure it will be fixed with the next update.This happens only in the first screen when using the launcher and not in the menus.

Edited by babis666, 05 April 2012 - 04:57 AM.

#46 szirszi

szirszi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 06:54 AM

This is my battery history
Posted Image

flashing and flickering is a new fruit on the latest firmware, I'm sure it will be fixed with the next update.This happens only in the first screen when using the launcher and not in the menus.

The fast changing brightness and the "line thick/thin problem" should not happen when I use the browser? The browser window should be "stable" (I mean on your tablet is it stable)?

#47 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

And there is flashing sometimes on display. And flickering (does not turn on and off, but some lines of displays become thicker and thinner for a moment) too. What do you think, is it a faulty tablet?

Here's my battery history.

Posted Image

Since updating to the latest firmware I get the odd screen "wobble" but it has only happened twice in about 12 hours use and only for a few seconds. I think it is a firmware issue.

Jez

Edited by Jezzer, 05 April 2012 - 12:05 PM.

#48 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

Update on Skype...

I tried video calling my phone (SGS2) from the Sanei over my wifi network. I used the latest version of Skype and it worked fine. :yahoo:
My 7 month old was the "other user" and she found it very amusing seeing me on the Sanei screen :)

Jez

#49 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Biggest issue so far for me is the short mains cable :angry:

I am in the process of trying to find an extension cable like this one. Measuring it roughly with a ruler it seems to be about 2 mm so I guess it could be either 1.7 or 2.1 mm.

The best alternative at present seems to be charging over USB. That said the included AC adapter provides 2000 ma which I think is higher than the max allowed over USB 2 so it would take longer to charge. There are also many USB chargers available which might do.

Jez

Edited by Jezzer, 05 April 2012 - 09:59 AM.

#50 szirszi

szirszi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:21 PM

Biggest issue so far for me is the short mains cable :angry:

I am in the process of trying to find an extension cable like this one. Measuring it roughly with a ruler it seems to be about 2 mm so I guess it could be either 1.7 or 2.1 mm.

The best alternative at present seems to be charging over USB. That said the included AC adapter provides 2000 ma which I think is higher than the max allowed over USB 2 so it would take longer to charge. There are also many USB chargers available which might do.

Jez

You haven't got the false touch issue when the tablet is on charger? And how long does it take to charge when it is on, or the tablet is turned off? Does the led next to the charger show the battery state? Does it have to turn green when full?

#51 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

I have only used my tablet after charging it because the lead is so short I cannot use it where I want to. I will have to climb under my desk where I charge it to answer your questions.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Edited by Jezzer, 05 April 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#52 z3406

z3406

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:18 PM

I also purchased a black N90 from *********. It is unbranded with an older Sanei firmware. I am using the AMPE 1.1 firmware now. WIFI is very good and the bluetooth is also working. Battery life also good. My biggest peeve was no voice search. I was able to solve that by manually installing the voicesearch 2.1.4. Babi was a big help in figuring out how to get the voice search working. There is a link to the voice searck apk in Babii,s AMPE review thread. I have been unable to get into the Sanei website the past three days has anyone else had the same issue?

#53 szirszi

szirszi

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

I also purchased a black N90 from *********. It is unbranded with an older Sanei firmware. I am using the AMPE 1.1 firmware now. WIFI is very good and the bluetooth is also working. Battery life also good. My biggest peeve was no voice search. I was able to solve that by manually installing the voicesearch 2.1.4. Babi was a big help in figuring out how to get the voice search working. There is a link to the voice searck apk in Babii,s AMPE review thread. I have been unable to get into the Sanei website the past three days has anyone else had the same issue?

Yes I had, but try szsanei.com (without www).

#54 Tablet_Collector

Tablet_Collector

Global Moderator

• PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 02:15 PM

Yes I had, but try szsanei.com (without www).

Yes that works for me too, thanks. No new firmware yet though.

I just tried my Sanei while on charge and didn't have any screen touch problems.
One issue I did discover is that it doesn't seem to charge while powered off.
The battery level has not changed since being on charge this afternoon while powered off.
I have now left it on with the screen off while charging.

Jez

#55 GT-555

GT-555

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 April 2012 - 04:22 PM

Edited by GT-555, 06 April 2012 - 04:54 AM.

#56 pappas81

pappas81

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:59 AM

I have read somewhere that usually chinese tablets and their wifi modules have problems when they are connected with WEP instead of wPA-PSK2 . SO if you have wep on your router change it to WPA-PSK2 and check it. I don't know if you already have it with WPA-PSK2 cos you don't mention it somewhere , but i thought i should mention that .

I would like to ask for the screen flashing problem that occurs after latest firmware. I haven' received my tablet yet so I can't know. Have you tried inside Developer tab inside settings to turn on or off the force GPU acceleration to see if the problem still exists? Or an alternate launcher (like Nova or Apex which are light and ICS optimized) ?

Edited by pappas81, 06 April 2012 - 05:11 AM.

#57 pollyplopp

pollyplopp

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

I'm really keen to get one of these tablets. Too bad it is missing a full size USB port.

-Can it be charged (for emergencies and in the car) via USB?
-Can it read/write from an 2,5" hdd ?
-Can any of you recomend a case,with good fit, that covers screen and can be used as stand?

Can it output sound/music via hdmi if connected to a stereo via hdmi ? Should make a nice mediaplayer...

#58 z3406

z3406

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 09:31 PM

I was just at the Sanei web site and there is a ver 1.1 firmware update posted dated 3-29-2012. I was unable to download it. If someone else can please provide copes for the rest of us I'ld appreciate it. The website would only send 39.7 mb of the file for some reason.
Pollyplopp, the N90 I have has a mini to full size USB converter cable. I ordered a case with mine from ********* when I orderd it. It works fine has a built in stand. Mine does recharge from the USB cable.

Edited by z3406, 06 April 2012 - 09:32 PM.

#59 pappas81

pappas81

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:24 AM

I was just at the Sanei web site and there is a ver 1.1 firmware update posted dated 3-29-2012. I was unable to download it. If someone else can please provide copes for the rest of us I'ld appreciate it. The website would only send 39.7 mb of the file for some reason.
Pollyplopp, the N90 I have has a mini to full size USB converter cable. I ordered a case with mine from ********* when I orderd it. It works fine has a built in stand. Mine does recharge from the USB cable.

Get in the Ampe A90 video review thread here in SlateDroid and in the first post they have this FW on MF. It is 323 (23/3) and it was upped on 29/3 in the site . Ampe and Sanei are identical and wear the same firmwares...

#60 easy1

easy1

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 01:45 AM

Got 6 of the Ampe A90's (obviously not to keep them all)
Great quality
Managed to get Fifa 12 working on it this morning, needs some tweaking though