• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Loser

Loser

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:26 PM

Basically title asks it all.

Should I wait and get the aurora or just get the ELF?

With all the problems the Aurora is having, and the wait associated with it, is the IPS screen really worth the hassle?

Are there other stable/solid alternatives to either?

Ty for any and all answers :)

#2 ssshoe

ssshoe

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

Basically title asks it all.

Should I wait and get the aurora or just get the ELF?

With all the problems the Aurora is having, and the wait associated with it, is the IPS screen really worth the hassle?

Ty for any and all answers :)

From an Elf and Advanced owner here is my feedback and please note that this opinion, and I am not an owner of an Aurora (yet).
The difference between Elf and Aurora is the IPS screen. Both the Elf and Aurora at this time require ROM and Market/Root modification out of the box to operate sufficiently in the US (Andoird Market) environment and improve on the 4.03 ICS experience. With that you also have the option of downgrading (I consider it an upgrade) to Gingerbread 2.3.4 and Rooting/Market/Tweak to your hearts content. With GB on the Elf (can also be done on Aurora) I have had excellent performance and software compatibility. Ive side by sided my 159.00 Elf with a 329.00 Samsung Galaxy, they are neck and neck, so Im a happy camper.
As far as IPS or not, your call on that one. It is easier to view at an angle, but 99% of the time I look straigh at my Elf, and as of today it does have its screen quirks, that will change though.
IPS WIKI
Advantages IPS panels have quick response times and homogeneous response time in any gray of liquid crystal and the optimal structure to proceed a large number of high speed signals without data loss by using copper wiring with low resistance values. So IPS Panels offer a vivid and clear picture, stable response time of liquid crystal, and its smart driving technology.
IPS panels display consistent and accurate color from all viewing angles. Other panels may only display partial true color. The discrepancy is normally more than 2 times in terms of color shift. IPS panels are twenty times better than normal[clarification needed] in comparative changes in gamma shift.
IPS panels do not lighten and show tailing when touched, making them ideal for touchscreens.

With that I am more than staisfied with both static and video graphics on my Elf (note I have installed the Bravia Engine on mine) and not really interested in IPS (yet).
Absolutely, but not at this price for performance level. The NOVO 7 Series, Elf and Aurora especially are very hot items for a reason.
Dont fault the equipment, it's 4.0.3 ICS thats the problem. My intentions are to camp out on my Elf running GB 2.3.4 which is great and wait until 4.0.3 ICS has all or almost all of the kinks worked out. Then I am looking to picking up an Aurora and flashing it.
Nutshell - (tweak is your preference)
Elf = ROM/Root-Market/Tweak and you hit the ground running. No IPS
Aurora = ROM/Root-Market/Tweak and you hit the ground, with patience you will be running. Yes to IPS.
  • Miss Dragon likes this
Novo 7 Advanced
GB 2.3.4 - feyiu 2.03.
Novo 7 Elf - 32gb SD
GB 2.3.4 - Roman Automod 2.4 - Tasselhof Root/Market - Bravia Engine - GoLauncher EX.
Apps - Google (Voice,Mail,Docs,Reader,Talk) Flash 11.1- SetCPU-CalenGoo-GrooveIP-Skype-Dolphin-Netflix-Webkey-Youtube-Titanium-Root Uninstall-Ghost Commander.

Novo 7 Aurora FT5XTS - 32gb SD
ICS 4.0.3 ECR 1.0- V6 Supercharger - Bravia Engine - GoLauncher EX.
Apps - Google (Voice,Mail,Docs,Reader,Talk) Flash 11.1- SetCPU-GrooveIP-Skype-Dolphin-Webkey-Youtube-Titanium-Root Uninstall-Ghost Commander.

#3 MarMed

MarMed

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

I ordered the Elf over on chinagrabber today. I'm really excited about it

#4 Dansplans

Dansplans

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

I have both Elf and Aurora, and they are both fantastic. Aurora has a nicer feel when you hold it and is a bit lighter. They both have great displays.

If the deciding factor is $20 for the IPS screen, I would spend the extra if you intend to use it outdoors.

Otherwise, you will not be disapponted in the Elf in any way.
AndroidTabletFirmware.com
FlashMyAndroid.com

Ainol Novo 7 Advanced
Ainol Novo 7 Advanced II
OEM Novo 7 Advanced
Ainol Novo 7 Elf
Ainol Novo 7 Aurora
Teclast P76
C91 Zepad
Onda Vi10 Elite Elf
Ampe A90

#5 SG8

SG8

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 03:39 AM

I ordered the Elf over on chinagrabber today. I'm really excited about it

Best of luck with it, but that is one place I would not buy anything from!!
Thinking of buying from Chinagrabber?? THINK AGAIN

I wonder who could be voting down my posts so that I get a negative reputation ?

#6 Ray_1301

Ray_1301

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:50 AM

I bought my aurora from chinagrabber, i couldnt be happier :D

#7 SG8

SG8

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

Good for you, just once you don't need any customer service you should be fine! After they sell you the item they don't want to know about any issues you may have.
Thinking of buying from Chinagrabber?? THINK AGAIN

I wonder who could be voting down my posts so that I get a negative reputation ?

#8 TheDoctah

TheDoctah

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:36 AM

I'm leaning towards the Elf for the extra memory. Does it make much a difference in regular use? (i.e., web browsing, playing games, emails)

#9 Wiseman Gamwich

Wiseman Gamwich

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

From an Elf and Advanced owner here is my feedback and please note that this opinion, and I am not an owner of an Aurora (yet).
The difference between Elf and Aurora is the IPS screen. Both the Elf and Aurora at this time require ROM and Market/Root modification out of the box to operate sufficiently in the US (Andoird Market) environment and improve on the 4.03 ICS experience. With that you also have the option of downgrading (I consider it an upgrade) to Gingerbread 2.3.4 and Rooting/Market/Tweak to your hearts content. With GB on the Elf (can also be done on Aurora) I have had excellent performance and software compatibility. Ive side by sided my 159.00 Elf with a 329.00 Samsung Galaxy, they are neck and neck, so Im a happy camper.
As far as IPS or not, your call on that one. It is easier to view at an angle, but 99% of the time I look straigh at my Elf, and as of today it does have its screen quirks, that will change though.
IPS WIKI
Advantages IPS panels have quick response times and homogeneous response time in any gray of liquid crystal and the optimal structure to proceed a large number of high speed signals without data loss by using copper wiring with low resistance values. So IPS Panels offer a vivid and clear picture, stable response time of liquid crystal, and its smart driving technology.
IPS panels display consistent and accurate color from all viewing angles. Other panels may only display partial true color. The discrepancy is normally more than 2 times in terms of color shift. IPS panels are twenty times better than normal[clarification needed] in comparative changes in gamma shift.
IPS panels do not lighten and show tailing when touched, making them ideal for touchscreens.

With that I am more than staisfied with both static and video graphics on my Elf (note I have installed the Bravia Engine on mine) and not really interested in IPS (yet).
Absolutely, but not at this price for performance level. The NOVO 7 Series, Elf and Aurora especially are very hot items for a reason.
Dont fault the equipment, it's 4.0.3 ICS thats the problem. My intentions are to camp out on my Elf running GB 2.3.4 which is great and wait until 4.0.3 ICS has all or almost all of the kinks worked out. Then I am looking to picking up an Aurora and flashing it.
Nutshell - (tweak is your preference)
Elf = ROM/Root-Market/Tweak and you hit the ground running. No IPS
Aurora = ROM/Root-Market/Tweak and you hit the ground, with patience you will be running. Yes to IPS.

This was really helpful, but as a new user I'm completely clueless as how to modify my (possible, as I didn't buy anything yet) Elf in such a drastic way. No knowledge about downgrading, rooting, or tweaking; but there should be a tutorial here on the forums, right? Since everywhere I look for the 8GB Aurora the shops warn about how their stocks can't match the customers demands I'm leaning towards the Elf with 16GB instead; the price should be the same or close enough. If I eventually buy it, I'll probably do the same thing you did with yours, if I get enough help from posts or other users.

#10 itsmir

itsmir

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 05:57 AM

I've given up waiting for Ainol to sort out it's problems with the Aurora and just ordered myself an Elf. An IPS screen would have been nice but as this is my first tablet I will go with the Elf and maybe upgrade to a 9.7" IPS tablet later in the year if my Elf gets the usage that I think it will.

Have heard nothing but good about the Elf and with such an active, supportive community here at slatedroid I'm confident it's the right choice for me.

#11 SeppoTaalasmaa

SeppoTaalasmaa

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:54 AM

Same here!

#12 Dansplans

Dansplans

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

All recent Ainol firmware comes rooted with market and flash working out of the box. No need to do anything unless you wish to update to the latest firmware.
AndroidTabletFirmware.com
FlashMyAndroid.com

Ainol Novo 7 Advanced
Ainol Novo 7 Advanced II
OEM Novo 7 Advanced
Ainol Novo 7 Elf
Ainol Novo 7 Aurora
Teclast P76
C91 Zepad
Onda Vi10 Elite Elf
Ampe A90

#13 cyclonmaster

cyclonmaster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

I've given up waiting for Ainol to sort out it's problems with the Aurora and just ordered myself an Elf. An IPS screen would have been nice but as this is my first tablet I will go with the Elf and maybe upgrade to a 9.7" IPS tablet later in the year if my Elf gets the usage that I think it will.

Have heard nothing but good about the Elf and with such an active, supportive community here at slatedroid I'm confident it's the right choice for me.

What kind of Problems do you have with Aurora?
Visit My Blog: http://cyclonmaster.blogspot.com/
Please answer my Project Survey: https://apps.faceboo...urveys/4dq0i6wv

#14 pixelens

pixelens

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:46 PM

New here, interested in the Ainol tablets - usually over on XDA but seems to be more support/talk here regarding those. On that note - has anyone purchased from http://www.ainol-novo.com/?

#15 pixelens

pixelens

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 03:22 PM

Just noticed the Elf II (http://www.ainol-nov...oid-tablet.html) - specs for the price seem very good. Now I'm really on the fence between the Aurora or the Elf II. Seems the Aurora has better dev support here, and IPS screen but the dual core/dual GPU on the Elf II are a definite improvement.

Buying these for the kids so not sure if I really need to be all that hung up on IPS vs TFT and just focus on processor/GPU specs.

Anyone have any thoughts? Like to keep it in the $130 price range, not prepared to pay the $189 for the Aurora II listed there - may as well wait for the Nexus tablet or something else once you get into that pricing, especially if it comes through at $199-250 as expected.

#16 cyclonmaster

cyclonmaster

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

If you can wait, just wait for Nexus Tablet. If not, just go for Aurora.
Visit My Blog: http://cyclonmaster.blogspot.com/
Please answer my Project Survey: https://apps.faceboo...urveys/4dq0i6wv

#17 pixelens

pixelens

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

If you can wait, just wait for Nexus Tablet. If not, just go for Aurora.

Thanks for the response...

Aurora over the Elf II? Thing here is price, I need a couple of them so it's not a matter of $140 vs $200, it's a matter of $280 vs $400... just watched a video review of the Aurora and they compared the screen with the Novo 7 Advanced and the Aurora screen looked 1000 times better. Was set on the Aurora over the Elf until I saw the specs on the Elf II so basically now it's the IPS screen on the Aurora vs the dual core 1.5GHz and dual Mali 400's on the Elf II (for $10 less).

Mind you, seems to be more ROMs available here for the Aurora anyways. I'm also starting to think I'm over think this, after all, these are just for the kids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users