Can this Tablet handle Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 treybraid

treybraid

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:32 PM

Wondering if this Tablet can handle the Windows 8 Consumer buld just released to the public today... Can anyone shed any light on this for me- I'd like to put it on the tablet this weekend if possible...

Thanks
Trey

Edited by treybraid, 29 February 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#2 Michael Brennan

Michael Brennan

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:51 PM

Wondering if this Tablet can handle the Windows 8 Consumer buld just released to the public today... Can anyone shed any light on this for me- I'd like to put it on the tablet this weekend if possible...

Thanks
Trey

Hi Trey,

Today's release is Intel/AMD specific, not for ARM based devices. Windows 8 for ARM will be an OEM partner only release and will very likely never be publicly available.

#3 badboy303

badboy303

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

Hi Trey,

Today's release is Intel/AMD specific, not for ARM based devices. Windows 8 for ARM will be an OEM partner only release and will very likely never be publicly available.

just because they don't want anyone to hack it

#4 roebeet

roebeet

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

I think the big question will be if Win8 will be supported off Tegra2 Harmony devices. My guess is "probably not", but if they can get support from later T2 boards, then there's a possibility that it might work in some basic form. Think of Honeycomb as a comparison. It's likely even worse as MS has made is clear that they want things locked down.

Since the ARM version may not show up until late this year, it would make the GTablet two years old. I'm going to guess that MAYBE the Tegra 3 will be supported, but the T2 is another matter entirely.

Edited by roebeet, 04 March 2012 - 05:56 PM.

Android Devices: Viewsonic GTab, Notion Ink Adam, ASUS Transformer, Cowon D3

#5 Cobey

Cobey

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:39 AM

I think the big question will be if Win8 will be supported off Tegra2 Harmony devices. My guess is "probably not", but if they can get support from later T2 boards, then there's a possibility that it might work in some basic form. Think of Honeycomb as a comparison. It's likely even worse as MS has made is clear that they want things locked down.

Since the ARM version may not show up until late this year, it would make the GTablet two years old. I'm going to guess that MAYBE the Tegra 3 will be supported, but the T2 is another matter entirely.

I would hope T3 devices will be supported, as both MS and NVIDIA have been showing off T3 devices with Win 8 on them. Would be some serious BS if they changed their mind all of a sudden.

#6 iRs

iRs

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:17 AM

I would hope T3 devices will be supported, as both MS and NVIDIA have been showing off T3 devices with Win 8 on them. Would be some serious BS if they changed their mind all of a sudden.

And when has BS stopped MS? They -still- think they have a captive audience. They don't care. MS/Intel was done when Lenovo came out with an Android Thinkpad Tablet. It took a lot for Lenovo to be willing to come out with that combo, but it's done: Thinkpad is SYNONYMOUS with business.

I didn't understand it till today at Sears. I saw Sears people wearing ManBags. Turns out they had iPads in them. The iPads are the planned new POSs at Sears. Hope Lenovo isn't too late to turn the tide. Screw MS. Screw Intel. Android/ARM is the future. The alternative is un-APPLE-able.

#7 pixelrider

pixelrider

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:52 PM

I am sure someone will try to find a way to hack something together (nvflash is a powerful tool for backup AND flashing) but as far as the GTAB is concerned, its a dead fish that no one wants to support but us (fine by me though.. I love my Gtab).
I just KNOW I am gonna break somthin......oh well....wheres that new rom......

FrankenTAB v1.1.0 Official Release here

You can DONATE to me if you want to buy me a beer.

#8 gimmefive

gimmefive

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

Yes, Yes, YES it can, BUT, only if you use the "Splashtop" app and have it paired with your main windows 8 PC.

I think that this is the best solution for anyone that wishes to use Windows 8 on their tablet (touchscreen) as it does not remove any Android system whatsoever, you simply log in and log out from pairing via Splashtop. Its pretty cool.