• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#41 bigstan

bigstan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

Hi Stan,

Ok. No need for update.img. I never do that one anyways.

I tried flashing like 40 times. On Windows 7-64 with 2 reboots and Windows XP but every time I get failure during checking phase around 3 different spots. Either my tablet does not like this firmware or images could be corrupt. I recall when flashing different vendor firmwares there were a certain number that would not flash to the i7. Must be something in the firmware that causes the tablet to be picky.

When sending files, always good to zip (or 7zip or RAR) them up because this allows for checking file integrity and compresses the files to smallest size too. I use zip format because everyone can uncompress that one. 7zip & RAR are better for compression though.

I can still do the mods blind without any testing and they should work in theory. Testing original and changes out would have been nice though. I did not want to start working on system.img yet because not sure if corrupt or not. Best to resend system.img or all of the files as zip/7zip to make sure they are fully intact. If you send all of these files, then zip/7zip them into ONE (like I did for mine) and I can check zip integrity and retry flashing this firmware.

PS, changes I have in mind are:
Add SuperUser, remove any Chinese keyboard and Chinese apps, update build.prop to optimized version, remove boot sound, add in (and remove) couple more apps (space permitting), update Market to latest, increase app storage to 1.2GB - probably leave last one out since you already get 1GB now.

Ok, I will zip everything and resend to you.

I agree with all you have said for the modded version, I think 1.2 GB would be great also, I Will post the new zipped package in some minutes...

EDIT: It took me some time because i had to leave my house yesterday, but here it is

http://www.mediafire...a6529ybn67tbsnc

http://www.mediafire...aabeu68236tv8vh

Edited by bigstan, 07 March 2012 - 07:50 AM.

#42 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

I agree with all you have said for the modded version, I think 1.2 GB would be great also, I Will post the new zipped package in some minutes...

Ok. I can do 1.2GB app install space. I could even go bigger. I chose 1.2GB because on 4GB card that leaves 1.4-1.5GB for storage of files - doc, mp3, avi, etc. on internal tablet memory. I could do something bigger like 1.5GB for app installs and leave about 1.2/1.3GB for user storage. =)

I think most people want at least 1.2-1.6GB for user storage (on 4GB card). That is why I aim for leaving 1.4/1.5GB and stick with 1.2GB for app installs.

I have even seen 3GB app space for 8GB tablets. =)

EDIT: If you need compression software then get and install 7zip. It is free and works very well.
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

Edited by Nickos-V, 06 March 2012 - 10:05 PM.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#43 bigstan

bigstan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 08:07 AM

Ok. I can do 1.2GB app install space. I could even go bigger. I chose 1.2GB because on 4GB card that leaves 1.4-1.5GB for storage of files - doc, mp3, avi, etc. on internal tablet memory. I could do something bigger like 1.5GB for app installs and leave about 1.2/1.3GB for user storage. =)

I think most people want at least 1.2-1.6GB for user storage (on 4GB card). That is why I aim for leaving 1.4/1.5GB and stick with 1.2GB for app installs.

I have even seen 3GB app space for 8GB tablets. =)

EDIT: If you need compression software then get and install 7zip. It is free and works very well.
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

For me, biggest app install space is better, because I dont store, music, pictures or videos on internal memory, always on external hard drive,

my Tablet says :

Nand Flash
Total space
1.83 GB

Available space
1.65 GB

Internal storage
Available space
827 MB

but I dont understand why yesterday nigth I couldnt install an app because of lack of space, then I moved 1 app to SD, and cleaned the memory with android assistant, then It installed, Its weird because It has happened before, You feel like this tablet is full very quick,

I am a gamer I want to install as much good gemes as I can for example...

P.S: check my last post above, I've uploaded the new files

#44 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

For me, biggest app install space is better, because I dont store, music, pictures or videos on internal memory, always on external hard drive,

Ok. Got your files. No issues with them. Firmware ready by tomorrow.

I pretty much modded the firmware but still need to test out little more. I even created a single image like the other sdk2.1 firmwares out there but may send you old style because gives you more control over parameter file. I was able to flash the i7 but took like 12 tries. i7 is very picky about firmware.=(

You actually are using around 180 MB (1.83-1.65) of internal storage. I will leave something like 250-500MB and push the rest for app installs. ie, like 2.35GB

Basic testing of this modded firmware shows:
1) performance and benchmark scores identical to my V2 release
2) louder volume in the speaker. Seems to go higher up in volume.
3) Camera working
4) No WiFi for me. Cannot test out any Internet apps.
5) Changing from 1 page to next page of ALL apps seems somewhat slower than V3 firmware but still fairly good. Just go back and forth between the screens and maybe you will see it. Or could just be my imagination.=)
6) This also has SD mounting issue. I do not recall this ever happening with stock firmware but have to recheck to be certain. ie, when shutting down seems to unmount sd card & when booting back up, remounts sd (and quick check for media?). Sleep mode is not affected by this from what I can tell.

PS, I only had 2MB left in system folder. So, if you want to install ChainFire3D you will have to delete or move apks in system/app folder.

PPS, Later on, going to see if I can add in my WiFi to this firmware but think driver is in kernel & not module. Would be kinda better to use this firmware because gives somewhat quicker game performance and working camera too.

Edited by Nickos-V, 07 March 2012 - 09:06 PM.

*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#45 ORiN

ORiN

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 11:20 PM

It's been a while since I last checked SlateDroid and it is great to see some good news for WoPad i7! My WoPad i7 even survived a drop from waist level though it did split apart so I had to assemble everything back. =)

I shall try out the latest version of Nickos-V's build.

EDIT:
Nickos-V, you might want to edit your first post to include the links to the various versions of your firmware. =)

Edited by ORiN, 07 March 2012 - 11:28 PM.

#46 asrrd6

asrrd6

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 05:11 AM

Hey, Nickos-V, I think you might want to check this sdk2.1 firmware out (it's from Window N12, not N12R) - has the same wifi as we need. Comes with working camera (I've just successfuly tested Skype video call)! Fast boot of 27 seconds with version 2.08 bootloader. Only problem - mirrored touch sensor. ro.sf.hwrotation variable is at 270 yet it doesn't help if I set it to 0, 90 or 180. Even tried the ro.sf.gsensorposition=1 and 7... Any ideas?

Update: solved mirror problem by combining boot.img from your v3 rom and the rest of this rom. But camera won't start... so if we could make one boot image out of two...

Edited by asrrd6, 08 March 2012 - 05:47 AM.

Wopad i7, Ainol Aurora II

#47 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:34 AM

EDIT:
Nickos-V, you might want to edit your first post to include the links to the various versions of your firmware. =)

Ok, done. I removed links to V1 & V2. I only provide link to V3 which is the most updated and stable of the bunch. I moved it to post #1.

Hey, Nickos-V, I think you might want to check this sdk2.1 firmware out (it's from Window N12, not N12R) - has the same wifi as we need. Comes with working camera (I've just successfuly tested Skype video call)! Fast boot of 27 seconds with version 2.08 bootloader. Only problem - mirrored touch sensor. ro.sf.hwrotation variable is at 270 yet it doesn't help if I set it to 0, 90 or 180. Even tried the ro.sf.gsensorposition=1 and 7... Any ideas?

Update: solved mirror problem by combining boot.img from your v3 rom and the rest of this rom. But camera won't start... so if we could make one boot image out of two...

Funny you should say that. I also was looking into and downloaded and tried N12 just before reading your post. I had tried N12 in the past and it never worked but just realized that Yuandao has like 4 or 5 different versions of the N12 tablet. Ours is similar to the first one.

boot.img in newer sdk2.1 firmware includes kernel too. In sdk1, these were two separate images - boot.img + kernel.img. So, by changing out boot.img, you are changing out the kernel & drivers too.=(

3 ideas to get working camera come to mind.

Firmware from BigStan has working camera. I looked for WiFi kernel modules but could not find any. So, network drivers must be built into kernel. That means, 1 option is to copy over camera files to my custom firmware. Too many files and lots of work.

Find another tablet similar to i7 with working camera. This is harder than it sounds because I notice that either WiFi not working and/or mirrored touch screen with almost all other rk2918 firmwares since they use different hardware from us.

N12 firmware could work but would have to replace the touch screen driver with our own. Problem is not sure if I can find the driver in my firmware or get it working. Something I will look into and see what I can find out. Also, can check N12 for AR6302 kernel module and if found, copy that over to BigStan firmware.

#48 bigstan

bigstan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Ok. Got your files. No issues with them. Firmware ready by tomorrow.

Nice!!!! :) :) :) :)

Basic testing of this modded firmware shows:
1) performance and benchmark scores identical to my V2 release
2) louder volume in the speaker. Seems to go higher up in volume.
3) Camera working
4) No WiFi for me. Cannot test out any Internet apps.
5) Changing from 1 page to next page of ALL apps seems somewhat slower than V3 firmware but still fairly good. Just go back and forth between the screens and maybe you will see it. Or could just be my imagination.=)
6) This also has SD mounting issue. I do not recall this ever happening with stock firmware but have to recheck to be certain. ie, when shutting down seems to unmount sd card & when booting back up, remounts sd (and quick check for media?). Sleep mode is not affected by this from what I can tell.

PS, I only had 2MB left in system folder. So, if you want to install ChainFire3D you will have to delete or move apks in system/app folder.

1) good news...
2) I've noticed that The soud is loud especially boot sound, it bothers me sometimes,
3) a plus
4) hope you will fix that part
5) I've noticed that Your firmware was faster the first time i flashed version2
6) Is this really a issue??? because i had a galaxy tab 7" with stock firmware and it was the same thing (when shutting down seems to unmount sd card & when booting back up, remounts sd)

If you could just delete some apps at system before assembling the ROM i would aprecciate, I use Chainfire sometimes, maybe those apps that are not usefull like phone.apk or others, I just use the tablet for surfing and gaming...

Keep up the great job,

kudos to you man,

#49 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

@BigStan, private message with link sent to you for testing out the newer, customized and optimized firmware.

#1 No more boot sound. Should boot quietly.
#2 Doubtful in getting Atheros WiFi onto that firmware since I could not find any kernel modules for it. Have to assume WiFi driver built into the kernel.
#3 V2 was the fastest of them all but just like V1 had sd card ejecting problem which was also happening in sleep and use mode. Found that very annoying. V3 fixed it for sleep & while in use.
#4 sd ejecting issue may not damage the sd card but this is something that just should not happen. Very sure for stock/Roman sdk1.2 firmware that this was not going on. I have to assume it is a bug but one that all sdk2.1 firmware is facing. I believe Rockchip must have made that bug in sdk2 source somewhere.

For now, I removed couple of apps (missed that Chinese one though) and added in some others. Keep in mind I want this firmware to be used by others with i7 (RTL8188) clones. Now that you have root access, you can go to /system/app (system apps) and remove any apks you do not want. Use ES Explorer, enable browse to root, root & system writable to add/remove files in /system/app folder.

System partition is specific size. Right now has close to 2MB free. This still will allow you to install ChainFire3D. The app takes 330KB & plugins another 20KB = 350KB. That is more space than you need for it. All *other* apps you download from Play/Market go to /data/app (user apps).

I made a 2.2GB parameter file that gives you 2.2GB user app install space and 561MB internal storage. Also, made a 1.2GB parameter file that will give about 1.5GB storage. In case others want more storage space.

Phone.apk was renamed to Phone.bak to avoid installing it (disable cell standby) but some people may have 3g adapter and would need to enable this. ie, by renaming back & install it by clicking.

Edited by Nickos-V, 08 March 2012 - 06:42 PM.

#50 bigstan

bigstan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

Thank you very much Nickos. I flashed the firmware and it is working properly.

Great work! :)

Edit: It only needs now a better market range. Can we do this by tweaking the build.prop We have to uninstall launcher???

Edited by bigstan, 08 March 2012 - 11:45 PM.

#51 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

Edit: It only needs now a better market range. Can we do this by tweaking the build.prop We have to uninstall launcher???

Correct. When I tried with K8GT sdk2.1 firmware I could not change the device in build.prop because of rockchip launcher. Won't boot if you do. If you're willing to switch to another launcher, like Launcher PRO, ZEAM, EZ Launcher, ADW, etc. Then can update build.prop to mimic some other device with fuller market. First, try some other 2.x launchers out. You can have 2 or maybe more installed. The OS will let you choose which launcher to use upon reboot.

I really like rockchip launcher 3 so I decided against spoofing another device for fuller market access. I had been doing SGS2 with sdk1 firmware but that phone only offers about 15-20% more game listings. Best are popular phones but in most cases they will show 3D games meant for PowerVR GPU and require using ChainFire3D to play them.

#52 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 07:25 PM

Added in link to first post for i7 clones with RTL8188 network cards. ie, if i7 firmware works but no network (gives Error) then try out the clone firmware instead.

#53 Henriquelb

Henriquelb

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

Wifi work fine in Wopad Clone with this firmware.

I have 8gb model, all days my tablet freeze and i need reflash, have any idea to fix it?

What parameter file i need use?

#54 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

Wifi work fine in Wopad Clone with this firmware.

I have 8gb model, all days my tablet freeze and i need reflash, have any idea to fix it?

What parameter file i need use?

Parameter file changes the amount of app install space on internal memory. If you want 1GB for app install, use parameter_1G. If you want 1.2G for app install space, use parameter_1.2G. The 1.2G & 2.2G I made but only tested out the 2.2G. For 8GB tablet, go with 2.2GB parameter file. Should give lots of room to install your apps.

Try going through the OS settings and turning stuff off. That may help fix the problem. I think vibrate & haptic feedback are turned on by default. Turn those off & other stuff and reboot. I have no other idea other than going through settings to fix it.

Edited by Nickos-V, 10 March 2012 - 09:47 PM.

#55 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

PS, if it keeps freezing after trying different OS settings, then your tablet maybe too different for the firmware to work. One example is Cube K8GT where they have 4 or 5 models. Same goes for Window/Yuandao N12 that also has 3 or 4 different models.

Tablet makers upgrade the tablet but keep the same name so some of the parts are different. Like N12 (Atheros WiFi) & N12R (Realtek WiFi), etc. So, even if your tablet has Realtek WiFi, it could have other parts that are kinda different and do not work right with the drivers in the firmware.

Edited by Nickos-V, 10 March 2012 - 10:08 PM.

#56 ORiN

ORiN

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

Looks like v3 is all we got for now. Great work by Nickos-V and thank you for the efforts! I may be flashing v3 this weekend but my i7 seems to have only 2GB instead of 4GB that it should have.

#57 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

Looks like v3 is all we got for now. Great work by Nickos-V and thank you for the efforts! I may be flashing v3 this weekend but my i7 seems to have only 2GB instead of 4GB that it should have.

Yes, v3 is it. Works great except no camera. I don't use camera anyways. This firmware is based off latest Cube sdk2.1 Android 2.3 firmware and I customized it to give better feel and responsiveness to it.

For camera, I only see two options. Copy files over from i7-clone firmware (rtl8188) or compile Atheros kernel module for i7-clone firmware. I searched and only found 3 kernel modules in the rk2918 firmwares. None of which is for the WiFi card. That means, I would have to cross compile identical Linux kernel first and then Atheros module. The copy over maybe the easiest way but don't have the time to do either of these now.

Your tablet will have 4GB. What happens is Android OS does not report the proper breakdown of the 4GB. You only see what is used by NAND storage & App installs. When I use terminal I can see much better breakdown.
/dev=135M, /mnt/asec=135M, /mnt/obb=135M, /system=234M, /data=1G, /cache=112M, /mnt/storage=1G, /mnt/secure/asec=1G
*The 1G are not exact figures; ie, rounded (down?) but, if you add these up you see 3.75G. ie, 4G internal memory.

Going into Settings, I see NAND flash (/mnt/storage) total space = 1.37G
Going into Manage Applications, I see total App install space (/data) =305M(used) + 900M(free)=1.2G

In other words, we get about 2.6G to use ourselves and the OS takes up the other 1.4G from the 4G internal storage.

Edited by Nickos-V, 13 March 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#58 Kez

Kez

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Hi Nickos-V,

I want to ask - maybe You have idea, what else can I do... My tablet is quite different, it have logo on the back, unfortunately only with wi-fi b/g.
After flashing with Your FW screen is black.
What is quite strange in that case - Roman FW was working on it (and still is working, after reflashing everything looks fine).

Device Informations:
CPU:
Processor: ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7I)
Freq Range: 600 Mhz - 1 GHz
WiFi:
Paragon Technologies Inc. (guessing by MAC address)

Did You see similar problems? Or maybe have any idea where I can search for solution with it?

Thanks for great help You're providing for wopad community and have a nice evening ;)

#59 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

After flashing with Your FW screen is black.
What is quite strange in that case - Roman FW was working on it (and still is working, after reflashing everything looks fine).

The Wopad i7 & Cube K8GT use same hardware internally. If Roman's Wopad i7 firmware works then this should too.

One major difference is that I created this firmware for devices with at least 4GB internal storage. ie, I made the app install space 1.2GB total. Roman's uses 512MB which should work with 2GB tablets too. If you have 2GB tablet, then that can be fixed.

Provide your NAND flash total space - (settings->storage). Also, internal storage used & free for applications - (settings->Manage applications).

The only other differences are in build.prop; which could but should not cause an issue for your tablet and the installed/removed apps which also should not affect your tablet either.

#60 bigstan

bigstan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

Correct. When I tried with K8GT sdk2.1 firmware I could not change the device in build.prop because of rockchip launcher. Won't boot if you do. If you're , ZEAM, EZ Launcher, ADW, etc. Then can update build.prop to mimic some other device with fuller market. First, try some other 2.x launchers out. You can have 2 or maybe more installed. The OS will let you choose which launcher to use upon reboot.

I really like rockchip launcher 3 so I decided against spoofing another device for fuller market access. I had been doing SGS2 with sdk1 firmware but that phone only offers about 15-20% more game listings. Best are popular phones but in most cases they will show 3D games meant for PowerVR GPU and require using ChainFire3D to play them.

Hi Nickos,
sorry for long absence I've been busy last days...
I was wondering if You have time(I Imagine it is hard for you to test), you could just update the rom whith another build.prop with better market range, cause I am willing to switch to another launcher, like Launcher PRO for example to have full market, i would like to test it very much...

Thank you very much in advance...