• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#21 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 02:27 PM

One more thing that hit me just now - battery can be saved by turning off the phone.apk (and telephonyprovider.apk or something like that - remember, this was done in Roman's firmware).

Found newer firmware version of K8GT which reduces SD issue. I only see SD issue while shutting down and starting up so far. Sleep mode is no longer affected from what I can see. I will create new firmware in 3 days time for us to use. Much better but still not perfect.

Yes, I was thinking about changing phone.apk to phone.bak to save battery but forgot about it.

Camera.apk is not enough. I believe camera drivers are missing in this firmware. The K8GT comes without camera. There is K8GT Deluxe w/camera but that firmware the WiFi does not work & mirror display. ie, Deluxe version uses different internal parts.

I tried an N12 firmware but did not work. Not sure which one. Sometimes the tablet maker has different versions made of the same model. You can try some firmwares out and see if you find one that works better for us. Linux/Android drivers are either built into the kernel or as modules. If module, then possible to copy over and get it working on another firmware. I think WiFi is module. But this is going to be something for me to look into much later on. 30+ days from now.

Edit1:
Chinese keyboard. I think I found it. LatinIME=English keyboard. PinyinIME=Chinese keyboard. Running non-root firmware right now so cannot remove it but pretty sure that is the one.

Edited by Nickos-V, 01 March 2012 - 03:13 PM.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#22 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:23 PM

I will be releasing new version on Saturday. No more SD dropout in sleep mode or while tablet is being used. SD drop out happens only with startup & shutdown. Tablet maker kinda fixed the problem.

I was testing out the firmware and real stable. Only downside is performance drops another 5-10% more in 3D benchmarks. Performance should go up not down!!! What is wrong with these tablet makers?!? Scores are little lower in NenaMark1, NenaMark2 & Neocore from my V2 firmware release. This is even more troubling when compared back to SDK1.2 3D performance results.

Other benches score very well though. 3D gaming maybe affected but I have not tested to see to what degree or how impacted.

*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#23 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:06 AM

Moved this post to #1 which includes link to V3 firmware.

Edited by Nickos-V, 08 March 2012 - 10:03 AM.

#24 bigstan

bigstan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Hi Guys,

I flashed the firmware, so far i have been using the version 2 of the release, everything is running just awesome except the wifi, it gives me error when trying to conect, i have the I7 with logo at the back, also is writen Model 7001 under WOPAD...any clue if its possible to solve this...by the way excelent job, the tablet runs fast as hell now, much better ... congratulations.

edit: i also had wifi error with Roman's firmware.

#25 asrrd6

asrrd6

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 12:53 PM

bigstan, there can be couple things to it (as far as I can guess):
1. Double check all the settings on your pad and your wifi router (every time you flash you tab your mac adress changes! Keep that in mind).
2. Sometimes it takes two-three retries to start wifi (for some reason) - that happened even in my case.
3. Maybe your pad is not Wopad i7 afterall - in my case I don't have a logo on the back and it was sold as a "M7 pad", not a Wopad, yet it works perfectly with stock/Roman's firmware! What about your screen - is it mirrored when you touch it? There was a topic about the mirrored screen - the guy had a problem with the screen and wifi wich he solved by attempting diffenet roms (I saw this topic on pandawill.com and wopadusa.com) - read it and try out different roms from there - one of them might do the trick.

P.S. I've checked the Wopad 7001 - hey, it looks exactly like i7!!! Difference would be the chipset (2818, not 2918) and wifi (b/g not b/g/n) - all other features are the same. That might explain your problem. Look for your specific firmware.

Edited by asrrd6, 04 March 2012 - 01:01 PM.

Wopad i7, Ainol Aurora II

#26 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

i have the I7 with logo at the back, also is writen Model 7001 under WOPAD...any clue if its possible to solve this...by the way excelent job, the tablet runs fast as hell now, much better ... congratulations.

edit: i also had wifi error with Roman's firmware.

You have an older Wopad tablet with rk2818 chip & different WiFi chip. =(

For my Wopad i7, it says, "WOPAD, Model:71". Notice, not 7001. Wopad has 2 7001 models.
You have either 7001 resistive or 7001B capacitive. See here:
http://www.wopadusa....tegory/product/

Not sure if I can get WiFi working on it. Would need different WiFi driver to work. Preferably one that was compiled with sdk2. I believe WiFi is module so could copy over and change some init stuff and maybe get it to work but never tried this so may fail. sdk2 driver would be best though sdk1 driver may work too.

Edited by Nickos-V, 04 March 2012 - 02:07 PM.

#27 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:05 PM

2. Sometimes it takes two-three retries to start wifi (for some reason) - that happened even in my case.

For me, WiFi works on the 1st try everytime. Never had any issue. Always connects on 1st attempt. You may have a very good clone (M7) of the Wopad i7 for this firmware to work for you. Your WiFi card maybe from same family but slightly different model if this happens to you. Or maybe problem with your router? Or interference from other WiFi signals in your area? etc.,

Anyways, happy that it worked out for you too. I really like sdk2 firmware!!! Runs faster and smoother than sdk1! =)

I updated the benchmark scores for sdk1 vs sdk2. Make sure to check those out too.
http://www.slatedroi...post__p__320496

#28 bigstan

bigstan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 05:49 PM

Thanks Nickos and asrrd6,

you guys are doing a great job, i will try more and reply...I am learning a lot with your posts...

asrrd6 quote: 1. Double check all the settings on your pad and your wifi router (every time you flash you tab your mac adress changes! Keep that in mind).

i didnt knew this...I will check more info on this...

asrrd6 quote: 2. Sometimes it takes two-three retries to start wifi (for some reason) - that happened even in my case.

When i flash stock firmware

(Model Number: rk29sdk/Android version: 2.3.1/Kernel version: 2.6.32.27/Firmware version: (719_ALC5621_GT801_RTL8188_A28_GC0308_CAT6611_TP02@111110)_(MC_CN@111110)_V2.10_01_TL12/Build number: rk29_gingerbread_v2.10.00

I always get wifi on 1st try...

asrrd6 quote: 3. Maybe your pad is not Wopad i7 afterall ...

Maybe it is not. i've read the topic you've mentioned and tryed inumerous others firmwares but in almost all of them touch pad worked properly and have been working, whitout beeing mirrored...

Il will just try the version 3 of the release because i've noticed the sd card issue, I know it's not 100% yet but i like beeing learning all this things...if wifi does not work I hope someone could help me find how to port the wifi to the rom, I dont know also if I will have to mess with kernel, so far I only know how to flash, unpack repack system, and add/delete apps before flash, I am the real Noob...

#29 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

No worries. We all have to learn somehow. Right?

Is WiFi turning on? Checkbox = checked. If WiFi does not turn on and gives an error instead then you have WiFi driver issue.

If WiFi turns on but you cannot connect to your router then either password or MAC issue. ie, you should see all the different WiFi access points around you. The MAC gets changed with every flash and needs updating in router. If you have MAC filtering, either update MAC or disable it. Check that your passwords are matching too.

When i flash stock firmware

(Model Number: rk29sdk/Android version: 2.3.1/Kernel version: 2.6.32.27/Firmware version: (719_ALC5621_GT801_RTL8188_A28_GC0308_CAT6611_TP02@111110)_(MC_CN@111110)_V2.10_01_TL12/Build number: rk29_gingerbread_v2.10.00

I always get wifi on 1st try...

Where did you get that firmware from? Please provide a link to the website. That firmware says that it is already using sdk2.1 (ie, rk29_gingerbread_v2.10.00). I am unaware of any sdk2.1 stock firmware for Wopad i7. I had to use another tablet maker's sdk2.1 firmware for the Wopad i7. The stock firmware for i7 was made using sdk1.28. Unless Wopad China has a newer firmware that none of us are aware of. I am very interested to know where you got that firmware from.

Also, it would be easier for me, (or even you), to customize that firmware like I did for this one rather than moving WiFi driver over.

PS, when I, Roman and others customize firmware we do not touch any drivers. Our mods are to change boot animation, boot sound, add/remove apps, improve build.prop, add in Superuser (root access) and that is about it. They are only minor changes that only affect system.img. Build.prop changes can improve useability performance greatly. By tuning and adding in the right options, can make the tablet feel fast, smooth and very responsive.

PPS, for you, best to mod your stock sdk2.10 firmware because that will work best on your tablet.

Later,

Edited by Nickos-V, 04 March 2012 - 07:45 PM.

#30 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 08:09 PM

I will also add that your network card is RTL8188 (Realtek). The i7 network chip is AR6302 (Atheros). So, I doubt WiFi box will get checked for you.

I also did quick search and seems you have a clone. Found this link in Chinese.
http://translate.goo...0LA#15920636813

Your tablet appears to be Tract/Road 12R based off the firmware description you gave.

I found news story for Road N12 but not the 12R model.
http://www.aicuxiao....-yuan-starting/

PS, that tablet is a clone but the good news is they actually provide sdk2.1 firmware. Wopad on the other hand leaves its users out in the cold and stuck with sdk1.28. Crazy how clone makers are putting in more effort than Wopad to provide newer firmware to their customers. Too bad, because the i7 tablet has great hardware (except for weaker camera) and as I have proven, only needed newer 2.1 firmware to run very well!!! - end angry rant about Wopad.

Edited by Nickos-V, 04 March 2012 - 11:13 PM.

#31 bigstan

bigstan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:30 AM

quote ='Nickos-V'

Is WiFi turning on? Checkbox = checked. If WiFi does not turn on and gives an error instead then you have WiFi driver issue.

Yeap, Wifi still dont even turn on, (check box dont check), i am in release 3,

Where did you get that firmware from? Please provide a link to the website. That firmware says that it is already using sdk2.1 (ie, rk29_gingerbread_v2.10.00). I am unaware of any sdk2.1 stock firmware for Wopad i7. I had to use another tablet maker's sdk2.1 firmware for the Wopad i7. The stock firmware for i7 was made using sdk1.28. Unless Wopad China has a newer firmware that none of us are aware of. I am very interested to know where you got that firmware from.

In those early days i've visited so many sites and downloaded so many firmwares that I am not sure where I got it but I have it since November 2011 tell me where i can upload it so if you want it, you can grab it there.

Also, it would be easier for me, (or even you), to customize that firmware like I did for this one rather than moving WiFi driver over.

I Will be very interested on this modding...

#32 bigstan

bigstan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:30 AM

For me, WiFi works on the 1st try everytime. Never had any issue. Always connects on 1st attempt. You may have a very good clone (M7) of the Wopad i7 for this firmware to work for you. Your WiFi card maybe from same family but slightly different model if this happens to you. Or maybe problem with your router? Or interference from other WiFi signals in your area? etc.,

Wifi for me is like that too, 1st try i'm in, so i would exclude problems with router or interference

Nickos I also dont know if it is a fake, clone or real, but it came in the wopad box that has a picture of sweet candies of diferent colors, but indeed it says model:7001

if it is a rk28 how come it runs your firmware?

#33 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

In those early days i've visited so many sites and downloaded so many firmwares that I am not sure where I got it but I have it since November 2011 tell me where i can upload it so if you want it, you can grab it there.

MediaFire works great & account not required to upload or download files. =)
http://www.mediafire.com
Make sure to copy the file link and post it.

Nickos I also dont know if it is a fake, clone or real, but it came in the wopad box that has a picture of sweet candies of diferent colors, but indeed it says model:7001

You very likely have i7 clone. Notice how others with real i7 have not complained about the firmware not working for them. Clones are impossible to tell who made them because they are good to perfect copy of the original and have no way to track back to the real tablet maker. The better clones will copy the logo, model type, design/look and box.

That is why you see posts like these:
http://www.slatedroi...ge__pid__326939

I have a MID purchased from Tradestead.com, Their stock# is a PPC-180-2MX. It looks identical to a Bmorn V11, Aldi Minitab, Skytex Alpha 2, goclever a73....

And only thing people like them can do is try one firmware after another until they find one that works right on their tablet. Just like you had to do.

Also, recall the i7 clone with no-logo-on-the-back that had no WiFi.
http://www.wopadusa....creen-thread30/
In China, clones & knock offs happen. Buying from reputable and trusted seller avoids you from getting clone.

if it is a rk28 how come it runs your firmware?

You likely have i7 clone but with wrong model # for the i7. Use Elixir 2 app to check your CPU. If you see ARMv7 architecture, then you have Cortex CPU. The rk2818 is ARM9 (ARMv5).
http://en.wikipedia....p#Rockchip_28xx
ARM uses architecture and not model to identify your CPU.
http://en.wikipedia....cture#ARM_cores

PS, there is also some other person with Titan tablet who said the WiFi did not work for them. Your firmware may help them out too. Probably has same network card as yours.

#34 adi_play

adi_play

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:17 PM

[quote name='Nickos-V' timestamp='1330837561' post='326083']
[font="Trebuchet MS"]Version 3 of sdk2.1 firmware
This one fixes SD issue in sleep & use modes but problem still present in shutdown and startup. Use at your own risk. Camera not supported. Stick with gb v1.28 stock/Roman firmware if you need to use camera. I also disabled cell standby.

hello i tested this vesion and is working well but can you remake the image whit cell cuz i use a 3g modem if you can.thanks

#35 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:30 PM

hello i tested this vesion and is working well but can you remake the image whit cell cuz i use a 3g modem if you can.thanks

Steps below should work. Try it first to enable cell standby.

Enable root, root explorer & system writable in ES Explorer. Go to /system/app. Find Phone.bak. Rename to Phone.apk. Click Phone.apk to install the application. Reboot the tablet. Cell standby should then startup and work. =)

I did this and cell standby is now showing up in my tablet. No need for different firmware. Later,

#36 asrrd6

asrrd6

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:59 AM

bigstan, you can try the Yuandao N12R firmware (it has RTL8188 that you need, its signature differs only in the very end TP01 instead of TP02 in your case). One thing would be to deal with the mirrored screen. Maybe copying over the build.prop will help.
Look here for the firmware.

Edited by asrrd6, 06 March 2012 - 05:01 AM.

Wopad i7, Ainol Aurora II

#37 bigstan

bigstan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

MediaFire works great & account not required to upload or download files. =)
http://www.mediafire.com

1. Make sure to copy the file link and post it.

I am working on that, its still uploading, i will post the link today after work

EDIT: http://www.mediafire...kj907tkrgecllh1

You very likely have i7 clone.

That is why you see posts like these:
http://www.slatedroi...ge__pid__326939

I have a MID purchased from Tradestead.com, Their stock# is a PPC-180-2MX. It looks identical to a Bmorn V11, Aldi Minitab, Skytex Alpha 2, goclever a73....

And only thing people like them can do is try one firmware after another until they find one that works right on their tablet. Just like you had to do.

Also, recall the i7 clone with no-logo-on-the-back that had no WiFi.
http://www.wopadusa....creen-thread30/
In China, clones & knock offs happen. Buying from reputable and trusted seller avoids you from getting clone.

I totally agree, and I have been in those topics before, i Knew it had good hardware but the 7001 made me think twice

You likely have i7 clone but with wrong model # for the i7. Use Elixir 2 app to check your CPU. If you see ARMv7 architecture, then you have Cortex CPU.
http://en.wikipedia....p#Rockchip_28xx
ARM uses architecture and not model to identify your CPU.
http://en.wikipedia....cture#ARM_cores

I used the Elixir 2, by the way great app, and it shows:

Processor: ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7I)
Freq Range: 408 Mhz - 1 GHz
BogoMIPS: 1007.45
Available processors: 1

PS, there is also some other person with Titan tablet who said the WiFi did not work for them. Your firmware may help them out too. Probably has same network card as yours.

I hope It can be usefull to them

Edited by bigstan, 06 March 2012 - 10:44 AM.

#38 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

I tried several times to flash but would fail on check. Did that firmware come with parameter file? Upload the parameter file you are using so I can try with that. Let me know when done and if same link or new one.

I used the Elixir 2, by the way great app, and it shows:

Processor: ARMv7 Processor rev 2 (v7I)
Freq Range: 408 Mhz - 1 GHz
BogoMIPS: 1007.45
Available processors: 1

You have Cortex CPU (ARMv7) from looks of it. So, you must have tablet with rk2918 chip. I would guess some clone of the i7.

#39 bigstan

bigstan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

I tried several times to flash but would fail on check. Did that firmware come with parameter file? Upload the parameter file you are using so I can try with that. Let me know when done and if same link or new one.

You have Cortex CPU (ARMv7) from looks of it. So, you must have tablet with rk2918 chip. I would guess some clone of the i7.

it came with everything ,parameter and update, i will post link in a moment...

EDIT: ok, here the updated link

http://www.mediafire...tg0h94rzwc7d4kn

from Image folder, you got everything: boot, kernel, misc, misc_factory_test, recovery and system

from rockdev folder: you are missing just update.img wich is a little bit bigger than free accounts are alowed to upload

EDIT 2: I always use parameter_1G

Edited by bigstan, 06 March 2012 - 05:01 PM.

#40 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:23 PM

Hi Stan,

Ok. No need for update.img. I never do that one anyways.

I tried flashing like 40 times. On Windows 7-64 with 2 reboots and Windows XP but every time I get failure during checking phase around 3 different spots. Either my tablet does not like this firmware or images could be corrupt. I recall when flashing different vendor firmwares there were a certain number that would not flash to the i7. Must be something in the firmware that causes the tablet to be picky.

When sending files, always good to zip (or 7zip or RAR) them up because this allows for checking file integrity and compresses the files to smallest size too. I use zip format because everyone can uncompress that one. 7zip & RAR are better for compression though.

I can still do the mods blind without any testing and they should work in theory. Testing original and changes out would have been nice though. I did not want to start working on system.img yet because not sure if corrupt or not. Best to resend system.img or all of the files as zip/7zip to make sure they are fully intact. If you send all of these files, then zip/7zip them into ONE (like I did for mine) and I can check zip integrity and retry flashing this firmware.

PS, changes I have in mind are:
Add SuperUser, remove any Chinese keyboard and Chinese apps, update build.prop to optimized version, remove boot sound, add in (and remove) couple more apps (space permitting), update Market to latest, increase app storage to 1.2GB - probably leave last one out since you already get 1GB now.

Edited by Nickos-V, 06 March 2012 - 08:24 PM.