92 replies to this topic

#1 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:43 PM

Version 3 of sdk2.1 firmware
This one fixes SD issue in sleep & use mode but problem still shows in shutdown and startup. Use at your own risk.

Camera not supported. Stick with gb v1.28 stock/Roman firmware if you need to use camera.

I also disabled cell standby.
I also removed Chinese keyboard & added in couple of extra apps.
One mistake. V3 is based off v1.06 firmware. V2 is based off of v1.04 firmware. I copied build.prop over without updating this field.

Enjoy!!!

http://www.mediafire...jv2pr1oxbanmgh8

PS, All of the sdk2.1 firmwares I tried seem to have the sd card issue. So, have to assume rockchip messed something up when going to sdk2.1.

PPS, firmware for i7 clone with Realtek RTL8188 network cards below.
http://www.mediafire...da4cdtv6lfkauur

Edited by Nickos-V, 09 March 2012 - 07:21 PM.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#2 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

I am uploading now. Will be ready in 10 mins.

For flashing
Hold down menu button while connecting to computer. If you get unknown device, install the right drivers for your OS.

To flash
Load the .img file and hit RESTORE. Firmware will download to tablet and then get checked. Once check completes, tablet will boot. At this time good to disconnect from your computer to avoid getting USB device connected.

gb2.3-sdk2.1 firmware
No camera support
Build.prop optimized for speed but could not change to SGS2 device. ie, limited market
Removed couple of Chinese apps
Updated Market and some other apps
Modified original firmware bootanimation somewhat.
Added in Superuser (root access)
Updated Busybox to latest
Edit: microSD card sometimes unmounts and mounts while in standby mode. No idea what causes this to happen.

Works very well. Fast and smooth. Though I really wanted to change build.prop to make this into SGS2 device for better market support.

Maybe Roman or someone else can check into this some more.

PS, iReader & King Reader appear to be in Chinese and should have removed them. You can always use ES Explorer in root mode to delete them.

Edited by Nickos-V, 27 February 2012 - 11:58 AM.

*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#3 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:02 PM

Link removed for older firmware. See post #1 for latest sdk2.1 firmware.

Edited by Nickos-V, 08 March 2012 - 10:05 AM.

#4 Armi

Armi

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:39 AM

I've downloaded and I have taken the tablet, but I have a problem, the mirror, try to fix it by changing the kernel but does not solve it. Any solution?

#5 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:42 AM

I've downloaded and I have taken the tablet, but I have a problem, the mirror, try to fix it by changing the kernel but does not solve it. Any solution?

It does not mirror for me. Does your tablet have the logo "Wopad, Model:71" printed on the back? You either have clone or early model i7. Sometimes Chinese maker will build upgraded versions of the same tablet model.

Ok. I will give you the easy way to fix. =)
You have to change a line in build.prop.

Since firmware is rooted. Go into ES File Explorer. Go into settings. Enable, Up to Root, Root Explorer & Mount File System. Then browse to / (up one level). Go into /system. Open up build.prop. Open as text file. Use ES Note Editor to edit.

Find: ro.sf.hwrotation=270
your other options are 0, 90, 180 to rotate the screen. Figure out which one you need and change 270 to one of those. Maybe 0?

Save build.prop. Reboot tablet.

I had commented out or removed ro.sf.hwrotation=270, which is same as equal to 0, and was having mirror trouble on the i7. So, I put this line back into build.prop.

The other way is to fix this issue in the firmware itself but that takes some more work and I use Windows and Linux OSes. Windows to unpack the image file and Linux to mount and edit it.

PS, sdk2.1-without-logo firmware was mirrored for me but the one I provided is not.

Edited by Nickos-V, 27 February 2012 - 01:52 AM.

#6 Armi

Armi

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

I have a titan tablet, which is a clone of this, I did edit the file build.prop with 3 options and none with good results, change the display between horizontal / vertical but there was always mirror. Any other solution?

#7 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 11:48 AM

I have a titan tablet, which is a clone of this, I did edit the file build.prop with 3 options and none with good results, change the display between horizontal / vertical but there was always mirror. Any other solution?

Sorry but I have no idea. I even searched for 30 mins and came up with nothing.

I experienced the same problem when using sdk2.1-no-back-logo firmware (from i7 clone tablet). I could not find a solution for that either. So, I looked and found a different firmware to use instead.

Try posting this question on different Android forums and maybe you get lucky with an answer. xda-developers has lots of users and developers who maybe able to help you out. Otherwise, you will be stuck looking for another firmware that is more compatible for your tablet if Titan does not release a newer version for it.

Edited by Nickos-V, 27 February 2012 - 11:49 AM.

#8 Armi

Armi

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 03:33 PM

Well then I'll have to wait, else you wanted to say was that sdk2.1-no-back-logo firmware, the screen work properly but if I fail my wifi, so if there was a way to spend what is that Rom screen this new rom? Or spend the wifi drivers new to this?

#9 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:41 PM

Ok. I found the problem when trying to spoof SGS2 phone. sdk2.1 Launcher was hard coded to work only with rk29sdk device ID. I installed Launcher PRO for testing and seems to work fine now. I will try out GO Launcher and maybe 1 or 2 others to see which I like to install.

This may fix the microSD mount/unmount issue in standby mode too. Time will tell.

Too bad. I really liked Rockchip's new Launcher look and feel but full Market is more important to us anyways.

Man, sdk2 really rocks!!! Vellamo now scores 918 with full tests. At one time I reached 956. This means browsing should be very good with the tablet now. =)

I will try to have a new firmware out in about 1 to 3 days time. Improvements will include: SGS2 spoof (best market), different Launcher and bigger partition for applications!!! I have made the app partition 1GB so far and will push it somewhere around 1.2 GB. That will leave around 1.5GB on 4GB tablet for individual use. ie,storing files internally.

Edited by Nickos-V, 27 February 2012 - 09:44 PM.

#10 Armi

Armi

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

Dude when I try to separate the rom with the method "Wendal" I unpacked all temp least for "Kernel" That's what I can solve the problem I have. Would you know it happens?

#11 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:13 AM

Dude when I try to separate the rom with the method "Wendal" I unpacked all temp least for "Kernel" That's what I can solve the problem I have. Would you know it happens?

You should be looking in Teclast forum. Some useful information there. SDK2.1 images have merged the kernel into boot.img.
http://www.slatedroi...post__p__254966
http://www.slatedroi...post__p__256052

This may help you too:
http://android-dls.c...ack_Boot_Images

I have not played with boot.img or kernel.img so cannot give much more help than that.

#12 Armi

Armi

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:49 AM

You should be looking in Teclast forum. Some useful information there. SDK2.1 images have merged the kernel into boot.img.
http://www.slatedroi...post__p__254966
http://www.slatedroi...post__p__256052

This may help you too:
http://android-dls.c...ack_Boot_Images

I have not played with boot.img or kernel.img so cannot give much more help than that.

Well I solved the problem of mirror screen, but now the wifi fails me, I think I can never have both. Just thanks for the help, if you think something porfa let me know (;

#13 asrrd6

asrrd6

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

Couple things I've noted:
1. In my case I had to push the "upgrade" button, not the restore (otherwise tablet wouldn't reboot).
2. AnTuTu score went up from 2100 to 2500.
3. In processor speed settings it shows now 400-1008 mhz (was 600-1008mhz). So better battery life in low cpu usage scenario is expected.
4. I'd say 512 mb is not enough for apps. A gig is definitely better.
5. I prefer current android 3.0 based launcher - looks no different than ics (i dont play games much on this tab, so dont care about market.)
Plus i think you will be able to install what you want from different app sources (there's a bunch of them now).
6. I'd suggest to include a 1% battery mod (if possible) next time you assemble a rom (would like it very much).

Thank you for your work. I appreciate it greatly!
Wopad i7, Ainol Aurora II

#14 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

Thank you for your work. I appreciate it greatly!

Great to hear! Waiting for Wopad to release new firmware is like getting a root canal without any freezing. ie, very painful.

1. Ok. Still best to do restore 1st and if not work, then upgrade and if still no, then restore again.
2. All my benchmarks shot up in score by 25% or higher except for NeoCore & Nenamark2 benchmarks. Those actually went down. Only reasons I can think of are memory or GPU driver issue/differences giving lower scores.
3. Yes, I saw the same for MIN processor speed too. Should help with battery life but sleep mode is where drain happens the worst. That has to be fixed.
4. I made it 1 GB for app installs. Going to push it to 1.25GB. Should still leave 1.5GB (on 4GB model) for internal storage of files. ie, music, movies, docs, etc.
5. I also hate spoofing different device to get better Market listings too. Thing is that many people use Market to find apps & games to install. Having less means they have to search for them on their own. I will try to do both but if not possible, I may choose Launcher which I really like also.
6. I think it already does 1% for battery. I noticed mine going down by 1-3% when checking it. So, not going to touch that.

Only 2 real issues. No camera support but I don't use it so not a biggie for me though nice to have. 2nd is the constant ejecting of microSD during sleep mode. Have you noticed this too? It is an annoying issue but may cause the SD card to fail quicker. I will have to try formating and using another microSD card to see if that changes anything.

#15 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:13 AM

I wanted to release new firmware today but whatever I tried I could not turn off hardware video acceleration for the lower end, default players.

Why is that important? Because the default players should use software mode. 2nd, some videos I have flicker in hardware mode. Sure I can use MX or Mobo players but the default ones should have played them in software mode. ie, no menu options to change the mode except on higher end players. 3rd, I like MSNBC and it plays videos but for some reason playing them in hardware mode makes them look stretched and have a flicker. ie, quality looks bad and the glitching makes them unwatchable

Software mode gets rid of any flicker/glitching to videos.

Already tried adding in build.prop
video.accelerate.hw=0 (this one should have worked but does not)
debug.sf.hw=0 (this is for UI accel but decided to test it out too)

Very sure the default mode in SDK1 firmware was software video mode but I will check into it to be sure.

Not happy that I cannot control the video mode used and that it defaults to hardware mode.

#16 asrrd6

asrrd6

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:45 AM

6. I think it already does 1% for battery. I noticed mine going down by 1-3% when checking it. So, not going to touch that.

Only 2 real issues. No camera support but I don't use it so not a biggie for me though nice to have. 2nd is the constant ejecting of microSD during sleep mode. Have you noticed this too? It is an annoying issue but may cause the SD card to fail quicker. I will have to try formating and using another microSD card to see if that changes anything.

Well, what I ment was that battery indicator in the status bar should show the % remaining in 1% increments (that is done by modifing framework apk, as far as I know).

I modified the build.prop this morining and commented out two lines that said something like "EXTERNAL(HOST)_STORAGE_STATE=removed". After two reboots the problem seems to be gone now (I'll keep an eye on it for a couple of days).

One more thing - this code (taken from this forum) :
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=260
view.touch_slop=2
view.minimum_fling_velocity=25
view.scroll_friction=0.008
helps remove shimmering when you touch the screen (I've noticed this shimmering when scrolling pages in FBReader - now it's gone).
Just add it to your build.prop.

RK launcher seems to be "half-baked" somehow - some of the functionality is missing (i.e. I didn't find wherer I can change the number of the screens, we still don't have the battery history and usage, etc).

When you push the screen brightness down it somehow seems to have very little effect, so subjectively it feels like screen can be dimmed down a bit, but alas....

Also, I suggest removing chinese keyboard, if possible.

It might be a good idea if you post your build.prop here completely

P.S. When both video.accelerate.hw=0 and debug.sf.hw=0 AnTuTu benchmark goes down by about 150 points - now it's about 2350.
With video.accelerate.hw=1 and debug.sf.hw=0 score goes to 2450.
With video.accelerate.hw=1 and debug.sf.hw=1 score is 2360.

Edited by asrrd6, 29 February 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#17 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:49 PM

One more thing - this code (taken from this forum) :

windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=260
view.touch_slop=2
view.minimum_fling_velocity=25
view.scroll_friction=0.008
helps remove shimmering when you touch the screen (I've noticed this shimmering when scrolling pages in FBReader - now it's gone).
Just add it to your build.prop.

Thanks for the help & tips!!!

I also tried commenting out those lines too. EXTERNAL/HOST STORAGE_STATE. Did not fix the issue from what I could tell but will give it another go.

I will try using some of those settings in build.prop to see what happens.
debug.sf.hw=1 - enables GUI acceleration - uses GPU to render GUI; enabling may lower game performance somewhat but gives tablet a smoother feel.
video.accelerate.hw=1 - enables hardware video decoding. Uses GPU rather than CPU to playback videos. It does not seem to work anyways from what I can tell. Videos still use hardware mode when set to 0.

I notice that Stock_1.28 firmware uses hardware video decoding for Mplayer & Video Player. MSNBC video looks good to very good.

With SDK2.1 K8GT firmware it also uses hardware video decoding for Mplayer & Video Player. MSNBC video looks blocky and flickers. ie, MSNBC video is bad and not working right!!!

I will fix up sdk2.1 firmware for you & others for one more release. Already removed boot sound. App install 1.2GB. Add more optimization to build.prop. Change SuperUser back to older version which looks better., etc.

But, without a fix for SD card issue, I will go back to using stock firmware and tweak it as much as possible because do not want to risk early SD card failure. At least I got to try out SDK2.1 firmware and really liked what I saw.

#18 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

Also, I suggest removing chinese keyboard, if possible.

Not sure how. Could not see any apk in system/app for Chinese language/keyboard. No idea how they installed the Chinese keyboard into the OS. To switch from Chinese to English keyboard just hold down SHIFT key for few seconds or press SHIFT + SPACE BAR.

#19 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:50 PM

Update: Removed V2 firmware. SD issue was happening too much in this version so best to avoid anyways. See post #1 for latest firmware(s).

I am trying to get other rk2918 firmware to test out and see if I can find anything better.

One thing is for sure. Is very hard for me to go back to 1.28 firmware after using this one for about 3 days. Really shows what the rk2918 chip can do and runs very well. Equal or better than Novo7 tablets.=)

The hardware is very good but the firmware side was lacking for rk2918 devices until sdk2 came out!!!

Edited by Nickos-V, 08 March 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#20 asrrd6

asrrd6

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 01:23 AM

One more thing that hit me just now - battery can be saved by turning off the phone.apk (and telephonyprovider.apk or something like that - remember, this was done in Roman's firmware).

Another idea - see if there was a Camera.apk in the Roman's firmware and copy it over. That might work. (well, simply copying over with usb stick doesn't work... maybe there's another way).

Chinese keyboard I removed by renaming unfamiliar looking apk in the system/app directory. Once you figure out which apk was renamed your can remove it completely.

P.S. Using AnTuTu Cpu Master set the governor to "performance" - got the benchmark score of 2715! With "ondemand" - 2514, with "powersave" - 1600!

P.P.S. In case nothing helps with SD card problem there's a chance to use Window N12 firmware (there's a bunch of them, I think our's is regular or "guidance" version as Babelfish calls it. Downloading files from their site fails - I wonder if you haved to be logged in in order to be able to download.).
Another chance is this firmware from Yuandao N50GT (already sdk2.1, modified-polished-improved, camera works, wifi - doesn't, etc) - only problem is touch sensor is vertically mirrored and the screen itself is tilted 90 degrees to the right. Beware, firmware base language is russian.
If you could combine the two - take fast boot, wifi, screen settings from your ROM and combine it with camera and other heavily modified sdk2.0 and sdk2.1 stuff from the N50 that would be good.

Edited by asrrd6, 01 March 2012 - 09:07 AM.