E Reader and Skype.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Andy

Andy

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:49 AM

Hi guys,After much deliberation I purchased one of these yesterday for £80 online - so I am still waiting for it to arrive. I had been looking for an E Reader for when I go travelling and also something that wasn't too expensive in case it breaks. Also the fact it has Internet connectivity is a big + even if it isn't the best.I have heard numerous complaints about the E reader software that comes pre installed on this device. Namely - people saying that there is no bookmark functionality. I was wandering is there a way to install another E reader software - say if I downloaded it on my PC could I install it from a USB or SD card? Since I have heard the Market doesn't work.Also. With regards to Skype, I was wandering if it actually works - I am not fussed about quality as long as people can actually hear me and I can hear them. I have heard that IM on skype works fine but there has been no review or information posted anywhere of Voice working.Finally, when this thing arrives, would it be best to just install new firmware - I know the risks of this but have head that running the device using the default firmware is pretty crappy. If anybody could provide a link and some information as the best firmware currently going around I would be pretty grateful.Andy

#2 tron33

tron33

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:08 AM

FBReader works on my Eken M003, just have to plug a USB mouse to open menu options. If FBReader isn't the best all platform ereader, its near the top. Aldiko has a much nicer interface but FBReader opens a lot of formats, like MOBI. I have a mini video review on FBReader on my hard book cover modded M003. tabletuser.blogspot.com LINK

#3 mogrith

mogrith

SlateGeek / Wiki Mod

• Global Administrator
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationBrea, CA

Posted 31 July 2010 - 12:15 AM

Kindle for android also works. It can read unprotected .mobi or .prc files as well as the azw files.

#4 bobby2010

bobby2010

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 01:59 AM

The iReader that comes with M003 knows which page you left off. There's also a bookmark feature in menu.