• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 collindv

collindv

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:07 PM

Anyone know if it might be possible to connect to an ad hoc network with this device? My droid with wireless tether is my only network connection. I know right out of the box it won't see it but I didn't know if there might be a hack of some sort. Thanks!

#2 obiwan22

obiwan22

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 29 July 2010 - 09:35 PM

mostly likely not. it only has a wirless network wifibtw check out my wiki for more infohttp://www.slatedroi...=Augen_Gentouch

#3 mogrith

mogrith

SlateGeek / Wiki Mod

• Global Administrator
  • 2,428 posts
  • LocationBrea, CA

Posted 30 July 2010 - 12:06 AM

I modified a post from 123killagum and turned it into a HowTo on the Wiki.http://www.slatedroi...Configure_AdHocWorks on some devices.

#4 collindv

collindv

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 03:21 PM

No luck on this so far.

#5 MrSmith317

MrSmith317

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:17 AM

If Ad-hoc worked I could tether to my droid. I'd be really interested if anyone gets this working(possibly with a new version of the wireless software)

#6 mbroderick

mbroderick

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:58 AM

Does your Droid has 2.1 or 2.2 Android. I have a Nexus One with 2.2 and I can use my tether wifi to connect to. If the phone is set up as a hotspot you should not need an Ad-hoc connection. It would be like connection to a Linksys wireless router.

#7 MrSmith317

MrSmith317

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:15 AM

I'm running pre-release 2.2 with android tether(ad-hoc). I'm waiting for a rooted release of stock 2.2 before moving on. I'm not a fan of the custom Roms(mostly because of the constant updating) even though cyanogen mod was pretty cool.

#8 Dunavan

Dunavan

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:26 AM

Offical Motodroid release of 2.2 will not have Tethering or Hotspot. Verizon says it does not have the software to do it (lies btw rooted users have it, it work, that means the software is there...aholes...)

#9 MrSmith317

MrSmith317

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 10:40 AM

Dunavan, I've heard that excuse before but since CM and other Roms have it already, we "enlightened" few know the real score.

#10 blazingwolf

blazingwolf

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 1,420 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 05:29 PM

Actually they said that it does not have the hardware. Big difference. It does have USB tethering included in the update that has been shown and no it can't do a Hotspot. It can do ad-hoc tethering with those devices that can do the same. So while it will work with your laptop it won't work on all devices.

#11 Master}{

Master}{

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • 466 posts
  • LocationTempe, Arizona, USA

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:44 PM

my buddy has a programmable router, i think its running DD-WRT or something, its mounted in his car hooked into always on power, it auto joins the ad-hoc on his droid when hes in range, it does DHCP for any other wifi devices in range and it somehow uses the droid as the gateway. i dont know the specs on his setup but he offered to hook me up with simular if i had the stuff, i dont know which router or DD-WRT version or mods hes using but i know it works. I joined his router in his car with my Epad and got an ip from DHCP, and was on the internet as we drove with his droid still in his shirt pocket. i know the droid is rooted, beyond that not a clue what else is in play, but he gave me the jealousy card to the unpteen level!

#12 enjoys1

enjoys1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:45 AM

Try these settings , it may work with adhoc network."sasherman13" posted these on Pandigital forums.1) Pull the wpa_supplicant.conf from "/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf"2) Edit wpa_supplicant.conf in WordPad to look like this:ctrl_interface=data/system/wpa_supplicantupdate_config=1eapol_version=2ap_scan=2fast_reauth=1WiFiAdHoc=1network={ssid="Network Name"key_mgmt=NONEmode=1}3) push the wpa_supplicant.conf back to "/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf"

#13 collindv

collindv

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 12:58 PM

[quote name='enjoys1;30635]Try these settings ' date=' it may work with adhoc network."sasherman13" posted these on Pandigital forums.1) Pull the wpa_supplicant.conf from "/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf"2) Edit wpa_supplicant.conf in WordPad to look like this:ctrl_interface=data/system/wpa_supplicantupdate_config=1eapol_version=2ap_scan=2fast_reauth=1WiFiAdHoc=1network={ssid="Network Name"key_mgmt=NONEmode=1}3) push the wpa_supplicant.conf back to "/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf"[/QUOTE'] Tried this, it says "unable to scan for networks". I am still searching for the magical configuration of the wpa_supplicant.conf file that will make this work.

#14 collindv

collindv

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:08 PM

Beginning to think this just isn't possible. I have the following in my wpa_supplicant.conf:ctrl_interface=/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicantctrl_interface_group=1010update_config=1eapol_version=1ap_scan=2fast_reauth=1network={ ssid="Droid" scan_ssid=1 key_mgmt=NONE mode=1 priority=1}It now sees an AP called "Droid" (whether I have the Ad-hoc up and running or not, it still shows it with full signal strength), tries to connect, then the connection fails with unable to obtain IP address.The other annoying thing is that every time I reset my Gentouch now I have to re-push the wpa_supplicant file or I get a "unable to start wifi" error when I try to turn it on.

#15 junk00

junk00

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 02:09 PM

Collindv -. Sometimes the permission gets changed when pushing the wpa_supplicant file. If you see them as read only and/or owned by root... I believe they are originally owned by wifi.chown wifi:wifi /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicantshould change them back so you can start wifi.

#16 collindv

collindv

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

Junk, thanks for the tip. It was actually system.wifi instead of wifi:wifi though. Thanks again!Sent from my Android for Telechips TCC8900 Evaluation Board (US) using Tapatalk

#17 Takiyon

Takiyon

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 05:00 PM

without Adhoc this device will be pretty useless outside of the home. Anyone have any ideas?

#18 junk00

junk00

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 08:41 PM

Frustrating! I got it connected to my Samsung Moment's ad-hoc network going through multiple wpa_cli commands. Of course the settings were lost doing it this way and I've spend the last couple hours trying to reproduce it. No luck. I don't know what step I'm missing. Encouraging note: with an ad-hoc network in the area run this:Through ADB shell/system/bin/wpa_cli scan_results This returned my IBSS / SSID of my ad-hoc network. (and other wifi signals in the area) If you don't see yours then run /system/wpa_cli mode 2 Then run the scan_results again. # wpa_cli scan_resultswpa_cli scan_resultsSelected interface 'wlan0'bssid / frequency / signal level / flags / ssidXX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX 2442 -31 [WEP] tutXX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX 2452 -10 [IBSS] tether#The tablet can see the ad-hoc networks but they have been filtered out and we need to find the right settings to connect to them.

#19 axel06

axel06

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 09:03 PM

On Eken M003 I followed 123killagum's ad-hoc in Wiki to the tee. Was able to have Eken M003 show my iphone 3GS (MyWi) being connected (showing on M003 the exact name I assigned to my iphone), but would not up/download !? Wonder what's going on...Any thoughts?

#20 junk00

junk00

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 12:41 AM

Got it to work... multiple times and after rebooting.In the end it was the order that was causing me to think it wasn't working...I had the ad-hoc network at the bottom and I was never getting their since my AP was higher in the config.wpa_supplicant.conf edit ctrl_interface=/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicantctrl_interface_group=1010update_config=1ap_scan=2#added ap_scan=2 so it scans all networks including ad-hoc#this causes priorities to be ignored below. #it just goes through the networks one by one. # this can really slow things down. #I recommend putting a simple file like this with the ad-hoc network at the top#on your sdcard and then just copy to /data/misc/wifi directory when needed. #I sure someone could write a script to backup current and swap in adhoc one.#added my ad-hoc network. network={ ssid="YourSSID" key_mgmt=NONE#wep_key0 only needed if you use wep. "" if ascii / no "" if hex wep_key0="1234567890123"#mode=1 needed to indicate ad-hoc mode=1 priority=25}#normal access point networknetwork={ ssid="exampleAP" key_mgmt=NONE auth_alg=OPEN SHARED wep_key0=01234567890123456789012345 priority=8}Hope this helps others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users