263 replies to this topic

#1 namko

namko

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

DISCLAIMER I (or any contributor) cannot be held responible in any way for any sort of damage caused for using this ROM or its derivatives.

This is the source code for getting ICS 4.0.4 (IMM76L) to work on our tablets using custom 3.0 kernel. Also included are images for trying the ROM on your tablet.

What works:
  • Display
  • Hardware acceleration
  • Touchscreen (thanks violet's ft506 driver)
  • Audio\Microphone (thanks to Asure's CM7 build for audio HAL; and mg3100's details on kernel)
  • Wi-Fi (thanks to violet's ar6000 driver and jolocotroco for locating source for a wpa_supplicant8 dependency)
  • Bluetooth
  • Accelerometer (thanks to Asure's port of mango210 kernel)
  • Battery Indicator
  • USB Host
  • USB OTG (fix borrowed from CyanogenMod)
  • Camera
  • Market, GoogleApps
  • Root
What does not work:
  • HDMI
  • 3G dongle
(NOTE This list is not exhaustive; this build is still a Beta and not intended to be a daily driver)

Release history:
R10 (0812):
  • Upgrade to custom kernel 3.0.40.
  • Updated PowerVR drivers.
  • Data Usage framework fixed (thanks to kernel 3.0).
R9 (0713):
  • Fix camera for Herotab C8/Dropad A8/Haipad M7/iBall Slide/Coby 7024/Coby 8024/Coby 1024
  • Fix touchscreen for Coby 7024/8024
R8 (0708):
  • Upgrade to 4.0.4_r2.1 (from 4.0.4_r1.2)
  • Remove radio icons and related stuff.
  • Add battery stats application-wise.
  • Improve battery calibration.
  • Added indicators for USB drives and unmount option for external SD card and USB disk.
R7 (0628):
  • Fixed microphone.
R6 (0521):
  • Improve WiFi (now using wpa_supplicant8)
  • Changes to card layout - external SD is now /mnt/sdcard and internal SD is /mnt/intsd.
R5 (0517):
  • Upgrade to 4.0.4_r1.2 (from 4.0.4_r1.1)
  • Fix USB OTG.
R4 (0502):
  • More fixes to kernel (battery meter, display support for Coby 8024 and 1024, proper NAND layout)
  • Fix Wi-Fi, Root, initial setup.
R3 (0411):
  • Moved to custom 2.6.35.7 kernel based on Urbetter's UTV210CV04 board (fixing display, 3D, TS, audio, bluetooth and accelerometer)
  • Custom sensor lib.
  • Reversed many of the changes made to OS in R2 and R1.
  • Launcher fixed (fix by steev)
R2 (0221):
  • Fixed software renderer and gralloc to use BGRA instead of RGBX.
  • Sensor lib added from Haipad Beta ICS. Accelerometer now works.
R1 (0204):
  • Initial release.
  • Modified surface flinger to work without fbearlysuspend.
  • Modified libinput to work with old touchscreen drivers.
  • Fixed audio.
  • Added GoogleApps.

Edited by namko, 23 August 2012 - 05:04 AM.

• Loonix, Miss Dragon , drsooraj and 1 other like this

#2 namko

namko

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:24 AM

Source code:
Following are the steps you need to follow to compile and build the kernel:
  • Get the source code for the kernel.
  • Setup your toolchain. Add the variable ARCH (set to "arm"; no quotes) and CROSS_COMPILE to your environment.
    e.g.
    export ARCH=arm
    export CROSS_COMPILE=/mnt/android/toolchain/bin/arm-none-linux-gnueabi-

• Set the config and build the kernel. This can be done by:
    cat utv210.config > .config
    make -j4

Following are the steps you need to follow to compile and build the OS:
  • Get the source code for Android and initialize the build environment. Detailed instructions can be found here.
  • Integrate the device tree. This can be done by copying the contents of device-samsung-smdkv210 into device/samsung/smdkv210 in your android Soruce. This will add a new build target.
  • Build for the device. This can be done by:
    . build/envsetup.sh
    lunch full_smdkv210-userdebug
    make -j4

And that's it! You can use the build outputs (zImage, out/target/product/smdkv210/root and out/target/product/smdkv210/system) and construct firmware that can be booted from an external SD using the method found in this thread.

Source Code (old releases; they come with no instructions):

Edited by namko, 11 April 2012 - 07:39 AM.

• Loonix, drsooraj and sumanx like this

#3 namko

namko

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

FW-combo:
Build Image:
Steps for trying the FW-combos:
  • Extract the ZIP. You will get two files, one will be a GZipped tar (.tgz) and other the kernel (zImage). Copy these to the root of an external SD.
  • Download the attachment posted here and extract them to the root of the external SD. You should now see 6 files in the root of the external SD. (utscript, utscript_sd, utscript.sh, zImage.debug, zImage, rootfs.tgz).
  • Insert the SD card and boot your tablet using Menu+Power. This *will* flash your tablet.
OR, use the custom recovery. Extract everything to the SD card (any folder) and point the folder to recovery after selecting "Flash ROM".

Steps for trying the build image:
  • Extract the ZIP. You will get a 1GB file. This 1GB file is actually a disk image that has a 256MiB root partition, 128MiB cache, 384MiB data and remaining for extsd.
  • Write it to your SD card using something like SuSE Studio Image Writer. Make sure you backup the existing contents of your card because it will be erased (preferably use a spare card).
  • Insert the SD card and boot your tablet using Menu+Power. This will *not* flash your tablet, it will boot from the card.
The beauty of this method is that it has it's own data and cache areas so it will not interfere in anyway with your existing ROM (only the internal SD's "sdcard" partition is shared).

Attached Files

Edited by namko, 12 August 2012 - 02:56 AM.

• Loonix, drsooraj and sumanx like this

#4 Siddharth

Siddharth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:48 AM

can you create new build with thunderstrom for 4.0.3 so newbies can have it.

#5 namko

namko

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 09:03 AM

This is ICS 4.0.3. Thunderstorm is currently 4.0.1.

Edited by namko, 08 February 2012 - 09:04 AM.

#6 Siddharth

Siddharth

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:26 AM

can you create normal build like thunderstrom so i can try it?
i think nexus drivers for power vr will work with it.

Really appricate your work.

#7 thaigir99

thaigir99

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, Usa

Posted 08 February 2012 - 02:15 PM

This is ICS 4.0.3. Thunderstorm is currently 4.0.1.

I would test as well. 4.0.3.

c8
128 mb nand
8gb internal

let me know.......

#8 namko

namko

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 01:34 AM

Here's the entire build: http://www.mediafire...j02ld5t9huctnn9

There are multiple issues (a few of them being: R<->B switched, no page flipping, Market) which is why I never "released" it. You have two options to try this ROM:
  • Download Thunderstorm. Rename "ics.tgz" to "utv210_root.tgz" (to replace the file found in firmware folder of the ROM) and delete the customer and patches folder; or
  • Use the ROM alt boot method.

#9 thaigir99

thaigir99

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:39 AM

Here's the entire build: http://www.mediafire...j02ld5t9huctnn9

There are multiple issues (a few of them being: R<->B switched, no page flipping, Market) which is why I never "released" it. You have two options to try this ROM:

• Download Thunderstorm. Rename "ics.tgz" to "utv210_root.tgz" (to replace the file found in firmware folder of the ROM) and delete the customer and patches folder; or
  • Use the ROM alt boot method.

I am downloading now and will boot tomorrow. i may try to push market using a script, well see.

Edit:, @Namko, got it to boot, by just replacing utv_root.tgz with ics.tgz. When I tried deleting both customer and patches, it gets stuck in a boot loop.
I am having wifi problems though. It scans and recognizes my network, but fails to connect and tells me im out of range when sitting right next to the router.
Besides that, no rotation, and live wallpaper fc. all things that we cn work on.

This build is beautiful, and we shoul start working on this instead of the current thunderstorm[no offense Terry] as it is the now most current ICS. Great work. Please let me know how w can fix the wifi.

Edited by thaigir99, 11 February 2012 - 02:12 PM.

#10 Miss Dragon

Miss Dragon

Dragon Lady

• PipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts
  • LocationDragonDevs

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:40 PM

Nice work namko. BIG PLUS. :good:
Places can find me:

HERE

#11 thaigir99

thaigir99

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:50 PM

Nice work namko. BIG PLUS. :good:

@rowwor
were you able to boot? i uses beta 6, boot but no wifi. were you able to get wifi wrking?

#12 Miss Dragon

Miss Dragon

Dragon Lady

• PipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts
  • LocationDragonDevs

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:52 PM

@rowwor
were you able to boot? i uses beta 6, boot but no wifi. were you able to get wifi wrking?

No, I have not try it yet. I'm on steev's alldro2..I meant to test xbox 360 wireless controller for him, but I can't find it since we moved. :(
Places can find me:

HERE

#13 thaigir99

thaigir99

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 03:55 PM

The 4.0.3 build has a nice yellow hue as well as the option for live wllpapers[although not currently wrking]
Smooth UI, all buttons work, very impressive. Once I get wifi working, Ill butcher it to see what I can do!! LOL

Edit: I have a mac address just no ip

ive tried a host of different configs to get wifi working but having no luck.

Edited by thaigir99, 11 February 2012 - 06:08 PM.

#14 namko

namko

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:49 AM

@thaigir99:
Dont do that... (I mean about keeping the customer folder). It effectively overwrites 4.0.3 with Thunderstorm (all the libs+jars are the real base system IMHO). Bootloop shoudn't be happening (you're using the Haipad ICS kernel?). If you are really interested I could prepare a complete image for you to try out (I might port to 4.0.4 too, I've heard of performance tweaks in this new version). SMDKV210 hinted that DHCP is not working, and I've not investigated it yet (I'm taking a little holiday currently).

The red UI is not a design feature! The colours are messed up. Somehow I need to turn off R8G8B8A8 in surface flinger and turn on R5G6B5 (hoping it doesnt break existing stuff). This will also allow page flipping (still better performance). Currently I have no idea what to do.

I am actually quite suprised (pleasantly) by your response (and your interest).

@rowwor:
Thank you. Maybe you'd like to give it a try after I prepare the image? It wont affect your current firmware in any way (complete isolation from your existing FW, only an extra external SD card is needed)

Edited by namko, 12 February 2012 - 03:05 AM.

#15 thaigir99

thaigir99

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:48 AM

@namko,
current config is all you but using the patches., using the init.rc and init.smdkv210.rc from the customer file. The patch file gives you logcat i believe, and has wifi fix[that does not work]

and yes, please create a full image based on 4.0.4. This should be our base for any further development, and will work my butt off to get working market and anything else I can do.

If i remove the patch file, will it connect to wifi? keeps telling me im out of range when sitting right next to router

My machine is a c8 128 nand 8gb internal

Once Terry had started thunderstorm, the thread got left behind, im glad you continued your work as the build[although phone based] is more comprhensive and gives us full working buttons, sound, butter smooth ui, and more efficiency than i could imagine with 512 mb ram.

i havent been able to stress it, but considering I have a new machine with 1gb ram[allwinner product], I managed to get 4.0.1 on it, then put it down in favor of working on your build. I love my C8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is usb host activated in this build? My computer could not see it. I must have flashed 20 times today, perhaps that tells you how excited this made me??

http://www.mediafire...l1wxw3exb9195w7

4.0.4 update.zip

Edited by thaigir99, 12 February 2012 - 05:47 AM.

• Loonix likes this

#16 namko

namko

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:27 AM

I build the ROM from source code. AFAIK the source code for ICS 4.0.4 is not out but I'll make the transition as soon as I can (I've tried to keep my changes as isolated from the rest of the system as possible so unless there are major changes there should be no problem).

You may not be getting the logcat because of the default.prop file in "/" (enable adb and disable secure in that file; you probably dont need to modify the one already present in customer). Wait for some time, I'll build a complete image. You will need a spare SD card so you dont have to risk flashing. All you'll have to do is take an empty SD card, and write the image directly onto it (using WinImage or something similar).

Edited by namko, 12 February 2012 - 08:31 AM.

• Loonix likes this

#17 thaigir99

thaigir99

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:40 PM

@namko. the udpdate was the official ota update for nexus.

over at xda, I took \crespo_IMM26-v1.1.zip, which was a full system dump, or upgraded rom with bootloader, new system etc.

i was thinking about putting update.zip on my sd, and see if the system takes it.[without bootloader]

I will wait for your new, most current build, but you have peaked my interest and again gotten me excited

the crespo file contains
Meta.inf/folder
system/folder
boot/win image

Edited by thaigir99, 12 February 2012 - 02:43 PM.

#18 Miss Dragon

Miss Dragon

Dragon Lady

• PipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts
  • LocationDragonDevs

Posted 12 February 2012 - 02:44 PM

@rowwor:
Thank you. Maybe you'd like to give it a try after I prepare the image? It wont affect your current firmware in any way (complete isolation from your existing FW, only an extra external SD card is needed)

namko. bring it on..I'd love to try. :drinks:

I'm not a dev, but I can flash. ;)
Places can find me:

HERE

#19 namko

namko

FW Developer

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

Here is the image: http://www.mediafire...dkrkodka881d7kg

When you extract the ZIP, you will get a 1GB file. Write it to your SD card using something like SuSE Studio Image Writer (https://github.com/d...ImageWriter.exe) or WinImage. Make sure you backup the existing contents of your card because it will be erased (preferably use a spare card).
This 1GB file has a 256MiB root partition, 128MiB cache, 384MiB data and remaining for extsd.
Insert the SD card and boot your tablet using Menu+Power.
This will *not* flash your tablet, it will boot from the card. This image has it's own data and cache areas (as I just mentioned) so it will not interfere in anyway with your existing ROM (only the internal SD's "sdcard" partition is shared).

I personally prefer this method for ease and isolation, however if you feel comfortable with the tarball let me know.

@thaigir99:
update.zip doesn't work with our systems, we have completely different recovery. steev dug into it, maybe you should ask him if you want to know the details.

And BTW, did you replace your internal SD card with a faster one (class 10?) When I run ICS from my external SD, it sometimes lags, but that could be because my card is class 2 (it came with an old phone).

@Siddharth:
You can try this build. Should be easy to set up.

Edited by namko, 13 February 2012 - 12:20 PM.

• Loonix, Miss Dragon and Menelkir like this

#20 Miss Dragon

Miss Dragon

Dragon Lady

• PipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts
  • LocationDragonDevs

Posted 13 February 2012 - 01:27 PM

Thanks namko. Will try as soon as I get my job done today.

Cheers. :drinks:
Places can find me:

HERE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users