• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Almaz

Almaz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 04:04 AM

I've got my Aurora ICS 4.0.1 yesterday and I've been playing with it. Rooted and installed market. Disabled phone, bt services and added tweaks to build.prop. I didn't get a chance to fully charge it yet and I've been playing with battery charge only 40%. In standby mode and airplane mode, it drains 350mah, about 8% in one hour. I'll install Set CPU tomorrow and I'll see if it helps.

I see a lot of people having the same problem in sleep mode and no solution. Now if we take any Ereader, the battery life in stand by about one month. Ereader such as Sony PRS-T1 is running Android. I think that's where we can find a solution to power drain. If Sony firmware were able to disable everything and get in standby mode running for a month without recharging then I'm sure we can find a fix.

I found System Data from Sony PRS-T1.
http://projects.mobi...system_data.tgz

Edited by Almaz, 29 January 2012 - 04:40 AM.

#2 Almaz

Almaz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:40 AM

Installed SetCPU and found out Aurora running in governor Performance which is making CPU run at 1ghz all the time even in sleep mode. Changing CPU governor to OnDemand (min 600 max 1ghz), or Fantasy will allow cpu to go deep sleep and I guess it should save some battery in standby mode. Also here are a few tweaks for build.prop

ro.carrier=wifi-only
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=180
pm.sleep_mode=1
ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=0
ro.media.enc.jpeg.quality=100
debug.sf.hw=1
windowsmgr.max_events_per_sec=150
video.accelerate.hw=1
ro.media.dec.jpeg.memcap=8000000
ro.media.enc.hprof.vid.bps=800000
net.tcp.buffersize.default=4096,87380,256960,4096, 16384,256960
net.tcp.buffersize.wifi=4096,87380,256960,4096,163 84,256960

* '4' will do "wait for interrupt", no change in arm11's clock or voltage
* '3' will do "wait for interrupt and ramp clock", the arm11's clock is lowered to 20MHz instead of 300-500, and voltage is lowered too.
* '2' will do "app sleep", arm11 is still on, but put into low power mode (registers are still saved)
* '1' and '0' will totally power off the arm11 (so we have to restore registers and things ourself), don't know the differences between them

pm.sleep_mode=0 -> Power Collapse Suspend
pm.sleep_mode=1 -> Power Collapse (Provides best power savings)
pm.sleep_mode=2 -> Apps Sleep
pm.sleep_mode=3 -> Slow Clock and Wait for Interrupt
pm.sleep_mode=4 -> Wait for Interrupt

Edited by Almaz, 30 January 2012 - 04:14 PM.

• YoX likes this

#3 Almaz

Almaz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 08:58 AM

Android is constantly looking for 3G/Cell tower signal and it keeps draining battery. I can't find fix for it yet but here is a little tweak which will improve battery life a little bit.

using file manager such as root explorer rename the following APK files if they exist.

/system/app/Bluetooth.apk to Bluetooth.apk.old
/system/app/Mms.apk to Mms.apk.old
/system/app/Provision.apk to Provision.apk.old
/system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk
/system/app/VpnServices.apk
/system/app/NetworkMonitor.apk
/system/app/Network3gMonitor.apk
/system/app/Phone.apk

#4 Dr Martin

Dr Martin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 29 January 2012 - 10:59 AM

Thanks for your tips. I'm really looking forward to a new solid firmware release for the Aurora. ;)

Android is constantly looking for 3G/Cell tower signal and it keeps draining battery. I can't find fix for it yet but here is a little tweak which will improve battery life a little bit.

using file manager such as root explorer rename the following APK files if they exist.

/system/app/Bluetooth.apk to Bluetooth.apk.old
/system/app/Mms.apk to Mms.apk.old
/system/app/Provision.apk to Provision.apk.old
/system/app/TelephonyProvider.apk
/system/app/VpnServices.apk
/system/app/NetworkMonitor.apk
/system/app/Network3gMonitor.apk
/system/app/Phone.apk

#5 digidad

digidad

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 10:25 AM

This was my biggest frustration with any of the Android tablets I have tried. As a casual use device, this really affects usability if the tablet is dead every time you pick it up to use it. I was hoping that with ICS/4.0, Android had progressed enough as a proper tablet OS that this would no longer be an issue. I could understand with early 2.1/2.2 tablets, since Android was more of a hacked phone OS, but this is unacceptable. I know some would say just charge it nightly and it will be fine, but the fact is that batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and this is just wasted energy. This is quite disappointing, as proper sleep mode has worked with iPads, e-readers or any Windows based netbooks and laptops for quite some time.

#6 !Sumit

!Sumit

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • LocationSofia | New Delhi

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:02 AM

This was my biggest frustration with any of the Android tablets I have tried. As a casual use device, this really affects usability if the tablet is dead every time you pick it up to use it. I was hoping that with ICS/4.0, Android had progressed enough as a proper tablet OS that this would no longer be an issue. I could understand with early 2.1/2.2 tablets, since Android was more of a hacked phone OS, but this is unacceptable. I know some would say just charge it nightly and it will be fine, but the fact is that batteries have a limited number of charge cycles and this is just wasted energy. This is quite disappointing, as proper sleep mode has worked with iPads, e-readers or any Windows based netbooks and laptops for quite some time.

Why the heck do you want to have a Tablet which you don't plan to use often & all u are fussing about is if these tabs can have battery life enough to last 1 month while in sleep mode. Aren't u intending to use it everyday ? :rofl: If not; then please don't buy any device as such & stick to a PC. :)
I also have an iPhone & had Android tab, and another one is on the way & I can say that battery life was perfectly fine & Android tab lost same amount of battery as iPad does while being left in sleep mode in night. 5-10 % was max. what used to get consumed when I left it with screen switched off in night & when I check it back in morning, which is pretty damn normal.
Sorry to say, but I simply don't agree with your Apple fanboy attitude as Android is way more advanced than how it was 2-3 yrs ago with exponentially much more apps & obviously much better customization options than Apple products.
All I'm saying is that no one should give such verdicts out without actually trying their hands on the product first themselves. Don't shoot arrows blindly in air and just shouting that all the R&D work of Android in last couple of years is slower or backwards than Windows or iOS; even though it's pretty much the fastest developing OS as many would agree because Android is not behaving like Apple or windows & keeping it a closed source ! :good:

Edited by !Sumit, 30 January 2012 - 11:05 AM.

~ 2006 - LG kg200 | 2007 - I-mate JAMA | 2008 - Sony Ericsson W850i | 2009 - HTC Touch HD | 2010 - Iphone 4 ~
~ 2007 - HP Pavillion Dv5t | 2009 - HP Probook 4510s ~
~ 2011 - Ainol Novo 7 Advanced | 2012 - Ainol Novo 7 Aurora ~
~ 2012 - SmartQ Ten3 T15 ~
... I ♥ Gadgets ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
♪♪.. My Bollywood Cover Songs Channel on Youtube .. ♪♪
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#7 mrspin

mrspin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 11:15 AM

I just want a device that works. I'm beginning to think I should have bought an ipad/etc now where mainly it works out of the box. I'm ok with the occasional hack but things like power management/skype video are core things you'd like to expect to work OOB..

#8 KMA

KMA

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 12:16 PM

I just want a device that works. I'm beginning to think I should have bought an ipad/etc now where mainly it works out of the box. I'm ok with the occasional hack but things like power management/skype video are core things you'd like to expect to work OOB..

It would be unfair to directly compare a $160 tablet to the iPad (or any other $500+ device). Many of the issues discussed here are not necessarily the OS's fault. I would concede that the "open" approach used by Android is partly to blame for some of the frustration felt by end users, but good hardware and a properly developed ROM should "work OOB". That being said, many of the benefits of Android also come from the open platform and allowing companies and developers more access to how the product works.

If the manufacturer develops a ROM that includes bluetooth and phone support although no hardware is present, how is that the OS's fault?

#9 Andy_L

Andy_L

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:13 PM

Are there other, similar Android tablets that behave better in terms of sleep mode battery drain?

#10 mrspin

mrspin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 03:11 PM

It would be unfair to directly compare a $160 tablet to the iPad (or any other $500+ device). Many of the issues discussed here are not necessarily the OS's fault. I would concede that the "open" approach used by Android is partly to blame for some of the frustration felt by end users, but good hardware and a properly developed ROM should "work OOB". That being said, many of the benefits of Android also come from the open platform and allowing companies and developers more access to how the product works.

If the manufacturer develops a ROM that includes bluetooth and phone support although no hardware is present, how is that the OS's fault?

agreed on the price. I'm all for having an 'open OS' but it feels to me they should at least make the thing work by concentrating on the main features of the device.

Is this power drain issue hardware, firmware or OS?

#11 KMA

KMA

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:43 PM

agreed on the price. I'm all for having an 'open OS' but it feels to me they should at least make the thing work by concentrating on the main features of the device.

Is this power drain issue hardware, firmware or OS?

When you say "they should at least make the thing work..." who are you referring to? If you mean the device manufacturer in this case, then I agree. The way this OS is structured, distributed and used prevents Google from controlling manufacturers to a large degree. They've done some things in ICS to help with the problem but they are limited in their control, especially compared to iOS/Apple where the hardware/software comes from the same company. Based on this thread, it seems the Aurora ROM has the CPU setting too high when sleeping and it is constantly looking for a 3G signal even though the hardware isn't present. They sound like issues that could have been fixed by the company (Ainol) that provided the target specific Android image.

That being said, I understand your frustration. It's important we do our best to continue supporting manufacturers who focus on good software to go with their hardware or things won't get better. Google, manufacturers and consumers all have a role to play in improving future products. :)

#12 digidad

digidad

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 04:51 PM

Why the heck do you want to have a Tablet which you don't plan to use often & all u are fussing about is if these tabs can have battery life enough to last 1 month while in sleep mode. Aren't u intending to use it everyday ? If not; then please don't buy any device as such & stick to a PC.
I also have an iPhone & had Android tab, and another one is on the way & I can say that battery life was perfectly fine & Android tab lost same amount of battery as iPad does while being left in sleep mode in night. 5-10 % was max. what used to get consumed when I left it with screen switched off in night & when I check it back in morning, which is pretty damn normal.
Sorry to say, but I simply don't agree with your Apple fanboy attitude as Android is way more advanced than how it was 2-3 yrs ago with exponentially much more apps & obviously much better customization options than Apple products.
All I'm saying is that no one should give such verdicts out without actually trying their hands on the product first themselves. Don't shoot arrows blindly in air and just shouting that all the R&D work of Android in last couple of years is slower or backwards than Windows or iOS; even though it's pretty much the fastest developing OS as many would agree because Android is not behaving like Apple or windows & keeping it a closed source !

The original poster (based on his testing) mentioned a standby drain of 8% in one hour. If that is typical then simple math says that will just barely get you through half a day in standby. That's a far cry from your 5-10% overnight. I will concede that perhaps this is more of a vendor issue than a systemic Android issue. I would encourage the original poster to continue to pursue a resolution because for me this is a showstopper. :good:

Edited by digidad, 30 January 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#13 Almaz

Almaz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:03 PM

Just want to make an update, with all the tweaks I've done, the battery drain became much better. With very low usage of Aurora yesterday I got 21 hours with 23% battery left. I updated today to Ainol ICS 4.0.3 and we'll see how it goes.

#14 a1bert

a1bert

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:10 PM

it seems the Aurora ROM has the CPU setting too high when sleeping and

sorry but it does not work like this, if device is sleeping the cpu is stopped (whole or main part of it). these frequencies you are talking about (that are set by setcpu) are frequencies of waken up cpu. Kernel switches between them according to current cpu load (and selected algorithm = governor)

if there is noticeable battery drain when device looks sleeping, something prevents deep sleep and device is probably not sleeping at all (google: android wakelock)

#15 mrspin

mrspin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:23 PM

When you say "they should at least make the thing work..." who are you referring to? If you mean the device manufacturer in this case, then I agree. The way this OS is structured, distributed and used prevents Google from controlling manufacturers to a large degree. They've done some things in ICS to help with the problem but they are limited in their control, especially compared to iOS/Apple where the hardware/software comes from the same company. Based on this thread, it seems the Aurora ROM has the CPU setting too high when sleeping and it is constantly looking for a 3G signal even though the hardware isn't present. They sound like issues that could have been fixed by the company (Ainol) that provided the target specific Android image.

That being said, I understand your frustration. It's important we do our best to continue supporting manufacturers who focus on good software to go with their hardware or things won't get better. Google, manufacturers and consumers all have a role to play in improving future products. :)

'They' as in the manufacturer.

#16 Almaz

Almaz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

sorry but it does not work like this, if device is sleeping the cpu is stopped (whole or main part of it). these frequencies you are talking about (that are set by setcpu) are frequencies of waken up cpu. Kernel switches between them according to current cpu load (and selected algorithm = governor)

if there is noticeable battery drain when device looks sleeping, something prevents deep sleep and device is probably not sleeping at all (google: android wakelock)

The only reason Ainol 4.0.1 was running at full speed all the time because by default Kernel Governor was set to Performance. Once it is changed to Fantasy it'll be able to go to deep sleep. Since Ainol came out today with 4.0.3 update, the governor is set to default Fantasy.

#17 a1bert

a1bert

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 02:42 AM

sorry but you are wrong, cpu scaling is in order only when device is waken up, kernel decides what frequency cpu should run to handle current load. it has nothing to do with device sleeping.... it just about lowering cpu speed when running idle and all these governors are just about different algorithms of selecting cpu speed

even if you select powersave governor (cpu running on lowest frequency all the time) you will get terrible battery drain if device will not be able to fall a sleep..

#18 Almaz

Almaz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 03:25 AM

sorry but you are wrong, cpu scaling is in order only when device is waken up, kernel decides what frequency cpu should run to handle current load. it has nothing to do with device sleeping.... it just about lowering cpu speed when running idle and all these governors are just about different algorithms of selecting cpu speed

even if you select powersave governor (cpu running on lowest frequency all the time) you will get terrible battery drain if device will not be able to fall a sleep..

You are maybe right but it's not what CPU SPY showed me. It showed me it was running 1ghz all the time and never went to deep sleep.

#19 Almaz

Almaz

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 12:31 PM

I released a full script to get Android Market Place for ICS 4.0.3. Take a look at http://www.slatedroi...x-v02-by-almaz/ Also I need someone to test it on ELF. Who's going to be the first one :)

#20 CarsonUK

CarsonUK

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK

Posted 31 January 2012 - 01:13 PM

with 4.0 being both a phone and tablet OS, I really don't see why there is not a setting in wireless networks which turns off all the mobile signals, like you would for wifi and 3g on your mobile phone... unless the problem lies deeper than that?