Android Tablets Forum banner

Augen Online Chat support session.

8K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  lawman 
#1 ·
I have an online chat support session open with Augen right now and the supports staff is in the dark as the rest of us.Q CPU 800 or 600 A Don't know.Q How does it support 720P w/o HDMI port? A Recode Video to lower format?They have been told they will get data at the end of the week. Don't want this guy's job.

#3 ·
[quote name='thcrw739;24398]I guess i dont understand enough about high def' date=' but what would a hdmi port have to do with on board viewing[/QUOTE']It's a connector commonly used with digital TVs and other displays, e.g. LCD monitors, but many times higher resolution video will only be supported when played back on an external display supporting the resolution. (Many times because the devices display, if it has one, cannot support that resolution, e.g. 720p = 1280x720 while the Gentouch only has an onboard display with a res of 800x480...)

#5 ·
[quote name='thcrw739;24409]Gotcha' date='Never put those 2 together since i have 2 tv's that support 720p, but yet they are wide, and my moniter is a 1280x1024 flat panel sqaure.[/QUOTE']heh I'm the opposite... have 2 4:3 perfectly working TVs, but a 1680x1050 notebook... took a while to get used to and whenever I use a 4:3 display with a computer it always feels ... odd ...So here, w/no HDMI output it can't TRULY support 720p playback as the onboard LCD simply doesn't have the resolution. It MAY be able to play 720p perfectly hw wise but...All of this said, my bigger problem with with the mislabelling of CPU spec...

#7 ·
[quote name='thcrw739;24438]The cpu issue doesnt bother me' date=' SQ v7 has raves, this sounds close, I'm sure there is a dsp that hasnt been mentioned either.[/QUOTE']There should as IIRC is part of the Telechips SoC... I never bothered to investigate yet as I'd expected more information to pop up with particulars to this device, although if it's just a Telechips ref board I'd expect the specs to be about the same.

#8 ·
[quote name='thcrw739;24438]The cpu issue doesnt bother me' date=' SQ v7 has raves, this sounds close, I'm sure there is a dsp that hasnt been mentioned either.[/QUOTE'] They still shouldn't lie about the CPU speed. That would be like buying a laptop where they advertised the CPU speed as CPU speed + GPU speed. It's just not the truth.

#9 ·
Someone should run Linpack on this to see how it compares to the others out there. These are avarage estimates in Mflops1.3 - Eken M001 (which is 300Mhz-ish)2.1 - Pandigital Novel (533Mhz)2.2 - Apad / Archos 7HT (600Mhz + DSP)That should give us a good estimate of what the processor is really runing AND how well it will perform compared to other tablets some of us have used.

#10 · (Edited by Moderator)
Found a datasheet for the TCC8900 part, presumably it mostly all applies to the 8902 as well... relevant points of interest:Video CodecDecoder:MPEG 1/2 to 40MbpsMPEG4-ASP(DivX 3.x) to 35MbpsMPEG4-AVC(h.264) to 25MbpsVC-1 to 30MbpsRV (real video 10) to 30MbpsJPEG to 12 MpixelsEncoderH.263 up to 30fps @ 720pMPEG4-ASP up to 30fps @ 720pH.264 up to 24fps @720pJPEG up to 12MpixelsGraphic Engine:2D/3Dup to 7M polygon (/s presumably)openGL v1.1 supportopenGL ES v2.0, v1.x support4x/16x FSAA, etc. misc. pre-programmable shader GPU goodieswell I'd upload the full thing, but 999k exceeds my generous 19.5k upload allocation... :/Didn't see a damned thing about the TCC89xx series on Telechips own English site... which is .. er.. pretty basic...here's the link to the forum (read to find link to datasheets)http://www.smartqmid.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=626&start=0

#13 ·
#14 ·
iplaythisgame;24446 said:
Someone should run Linpack on this to see how it compares to the others out there. These are avarage estimates in Mflops1.3 - Eken M001 (which is 300Mhz-ish)2.1 - Pandigital Novel (533Mhz)2.2 - Apad / Archos 7HT (600Mhz + DSP)That should give us a good estimate of what the processor is really runing AND how well it will perform compared to other tablets some of us have used.
3.337 Mflops/s1.62 Seconds

#15 ·
clockworx;24551]What does quadrent test? They said:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2078282
Tests Tests CPU, Memory, I/O, 2D performance, 3D performance. The free version compiles them all into a single overall score. The paid version launches next month and will allow stand alone tests of each sub category. It also gives a visual indication of the performance of numerous devices compared to yours right in the benchmark. This app should prove extremely useful in the future for finding out what our phones are good and poor at.Some interesting info: It looks like the Motorola Shadow is on here. It's score far surpasses the 2.1 Nexus One. If the Shadow benchmarked here is running Android 2.1, then with the 2.2 update it will be by far the fastest Android device with nothing else coming even remotely close to it. Galaxy S looks extremely impressive as well. I'm very curious to know if the tests were run with these devices on 2.1 or 2.2. It's possible that these devices just have a ridiculously powerful GPU that helps inflate their scores as well.Post your scores from the free version to start. Be sure to include any relevant info such as the OS version, rooted or not, overclock or not, etc..
So it's a more complete benchmark, testing more than merely the CPUs ability to handle linpack.Nexus OneAndroid 2.2Score: 1580 Droid, 2.1 Cyanogen 5.0.7.11Ghz612 - 650Samsung Moment, 2.1230Verizon's Motorola Droid (rooted)Bugless Beast v 1.1 (Eclair-based OS)Overclocked to 1200MHz632

#17 ·
Also keep in mind that that the PDN is 2.0 and the Gentouch is 2.1 -- this could be one of the reason for the difference in Quadrant + the different CPU's.I would expect the Gentouch to do better as it does support 720p video, allegedly.

#21 ·
[quote name='clockworx;24605]Why do you say that? Lots of people have run CPU apps and come back as 600 Mhz' date=' and the device that it is a clone of (I'm sure they just rebrand it and don't manufacture it) is 600 mhz as well.[/QUOTE'] Some of the overclock an CPU tests don't necessarily work as expected with different chipsets. I know linpack doesnt tell the whole story. But when you compare the numbers on the PDN and the Apad regardless of the firmware versions(1.5 vs 2.0), linpack shows the 600Mhz apad slightly outperform the 533Mhz PDN. Then you compare the number for the Augen posted earlier and it follows that it is running significantly faster than the others.Linpack is a measure of how fast the machine makes certain calculations. This is also unaffected by the DSPs.

#22 ·
[quote name='iplaythisgame;24613]Some of the overclock an CPU tests don't necessarily work as expected with different chipsets. I know linpack doesnt tell the whole story. But when you compare the numbers on the PDN and the Apad regardless of the firmware versions(1.5 vs 2.0)' date=' linpack shows the 600Mhz apad slightly outperform the 533Mhz PDN. Then you compare the number for the Augen posted earlier and it follows that it is running significantly faster than the others.Linpack is a measure of how fast the machine makes certain calculations. This is also unaffected by the DSPs.[/QUOTE'] I suppose, but I've seen a lot of differences come about only through software as well. PDN is on 2.0, and I think a decent amount of optimization went into 2.1 The PDN also has other junk running in the background that could kill it.I can't say for 100% certain that it is running at 600Mhz, but giving that CPU programs hit that number exactly (and not some random number like 617 or 512 or whatever), and that it matches the clock speed of the device it is a clone of, it seems more reliable to take that at face value than to try to extrapolate backwards from benchmarks that can apparently be affected a great deal by software.

#23 ·
[quote name='clockworx;24621]I suppose' date=' but I've seen a lot of differences come about only through software as well. PDN is on 2.0, and I think a decent amount of optimization went into 2.1 The PDN also has other junk running in the background that could kill it.I can't say for 100% certain that it is running at 600Mhz, but giving that CPU programs hit that number exactly (and not some random number like 617 or 512 or whatever), and that it matches the clock speed of the device it is a clone of, it seems more reliable to take that at face value than to try to extrapolate backwards from benchmarks that can apparently be affected a great deal by software.[/QUOTE'] If the PDN is started up panda home all of the stock stuff wouldn't be running in the background and it wouldn't affect the calculations.Also most of the optimization of the newer firmwares come between the different program levels and api-s handing the data off and it shouldn't affect low level calculations. Linpacks websites trends this way in its user databases for example.

#25 · (Edited by Moderator)
[quote name='clockworx;24605]Why do you say that? Lots of people have run CPU apps and come back as 600 Mhz' date=' and the device that it is a clone of (I'm sure they just rebrand it and don't manufacture it) is 600 mhz as well.[/QUOTE']It's NOT even close to 800MHz... If I don't trust whatever benchmark the first guy ran, I think that I can trust setCPU which shows max 600MHz clock...[EDIT]linpack is ENTIRELY CPU dependent... it attempts to make use of certain arch optimization deliberately... generally the result is useless however as hmm.. "normal" apps will almost never rely exclusively on what linpack "tests"...[/EDIT]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.