Android Tablets Forum banner

[DEV] N7A Transformation Script

8K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  SztupY 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
So I've been fiddling with some devices firmwares, and got to create this.

Code:
N7A Firmware Transformation Kit - v0.1<br />
--------------------------------------<br />
<br />
This script will put into any installed firmware on the Novo7Advanced the kernel, modules and<br />
some required libraries from the official 4.0.3 firmware.<br />
<br />
You can run it on top of almost any ICS firmware for an A10 device, and it will make<br />
most features work.<br />
<br />
Instructions<br />
------------<br />
Flash any firmware on the device as usual using Livesuit. Don't worry about bricking the tablet,<br />
as it always can be restored to Ainol's official firmware.<br />
<br />
When the tablet has already booted (it should show *something* on screen), plug it using the USB port<br />
and run the install.bat or install.sh script.<br />
<br />
Note that, if using Windows, you need to have the ADB drivers correctly installed, and if using Linux/Mac<br />
(yes, it will also work on them!) you need adb installed and in your $PATH.<br />
<br />
(If the scripts don't suit you, you can also copy the whole "updater" folder onto /data/ and execute<br />
/data/updater/run on the device itself).<br />
<br />
<br />
Features<br />
--------<br />
This will make almost everything work on the firmwares I tested so far, including the tactile buttons.<br />
There is one exception: I couldn't get the front camera to work, so the camera libraries or configuration<br />
aren't fixed.<br />
On the Momo firmwares, which are the ones I primarly tested this with, the back camera works out-of-the-box.<br />
<br />
I haven't tested the remote controller or HDMI. These might or might not work.<br />
Test them and report back!<br />
<br />
Tested firmwares<br />
----------------<br />
MOMO9C-4-Kevin.img (Momo9 MOD): Everything works as expected, the most stable and recommended.<br />
sun4i_crane_M701C_Punaier_1553.img (Momo9 official): Everything works.<br />
Onda VX610w firmware: No camera, touchscreen works but as trackpad, everything else works.<br />
<br />
You can download some of the firmwares from: [URL=http://www.wuala]http://www.wuala[/URL].com/Novo7Advanced<br />
<br />
Changelog<br />
---------<br />
v0.2:<br />
Permissions fix (damn Windows)<br />
v0.1:<br />
Initial version
Download from: http://www.wuala.com/Novo7Advanced/Transformation%20Pack/

The MOMO9C-4-Kevin.img works smoother and seems stabler than the original firmware. Only thing missing is the front camera... but I haven't figured out how to fix that yet.

¿Is there any other A10 tablet similar to the N7A with ICS firmware available? So I can test.

(also, any info on how to repackage .img firmware files will be appreciated)

Enjoy

See less See more
#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
Do you get any error applying the script?

If it was applied correctly, the Ainol logo should display at boot before the Momo boot animation. Couldn't test the Windows .bat as adb doesn't want to work on my Windows VM, but it should work anyway

(you don't need to reflash to apply it, as it replaces the files, it doesn't matter if it was already installed or not)

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
If WiFi doesn't work, try executing:

Code:
adb shell chmod 766 /system/bin/wpa_supplicant<br />
adb shell chmod 766 /system/bin/wpa_cli<br />
I think the issue must be on permissions, but I don't have any Windows machine to test myself...

EDIT: Confirmed, it was a permission issue. Those commands will fix it. Uploading version 0.2

#7 ·
Well... probably those reboots are caused by the kernel (as it is the same). I also found out the camera to be a bit unstable.

I haven't been able to keep the original kernel and make everything work as expected yet, I guess we have to wait for the buildtools and sources for ICS 4.0.3 to come out so we can fully hack everything instead of taking experimentation shortcuts like this.

I myself am going back for a while to Gingerbread hacking to try to understand everything better. (also, to try to run full Ubuntu on the tablet, but that's another story)

#8 · (Edited by Moderator)
MOMO9C-4-Kevin.img+Transformation Kit v0.2
Some problems to write to extsd.
Titanium Backup can't make programm backup to external SD-card (mnt/extsd), but can make data backup to the folder.

sdcard has properties: owner 1000 system, group 1015-sdcard
extsd has properties: owner 1000 system, group 0 root
for 2.0.4
externalsd has properties: owner 1000 system, group 1015-sdcard_rw (not shure, need check)

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
oK posting my findings i have tested aurora elf knith and even bmorn v99 firmwares beleve it or not they all work ...

ainol all firmwares
i flash it with phoenix usb .at first wont turn on .keep pushing power wen it turn on it will start vibrating wit a white stripped screen i was curious so i started a logcat ofter 15 second i coul see it was really booting even so you can really see nothing and it constantly vibrating so i had a brainmoment and started the transformation script wen it finish to my surprise it booted up with ics phone interface so i pull the build.prop and added lcd density 120 and what do you know it work wifi and everything like it supposed to...
cons
still only work back camera

BMORN V99 ics firmware

this one was a bit different .i keep pushing power and then, everything like before ,vibrating ,white stripped screen ,logcat took a bit longer like 20 sec . i run the tranformation script.then first boot got stuck in the ainol first boot screen i let it alone like 7 minutes then black screen. i forced restart and boom it booted ,i was surprised that it really boot considering the different screen size and possibly other hardware. wifi worked and the camera detected both .i was like hurray. took first picture .camera app crash it work 1 time now it just force closes but it did work once . everything else i tested work...
haven't tested flash yet
sorry for my bad writing , english is not my primary language

#10 ·
The screen corruption is normal as the screen resolutions differ - yet I wasn't expecting that it could be fixed by the kernel, so this is really good news. We now can try all 9.7'' firms, there are a lot out there. Onda Vi40 comes to mind.

I might have found how to fix the camera.. I'll try when I can and keep you informed. I was missing a important piece.

I also bought a microSD card breakout board and a USB to Serial converter to try to debug the kernel when my own kernel builds fail, which has happened more than once.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.