Photo

How do you actually use the "NAND Flash" Memory ??!

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jlgmax

jlgmax

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 03:14 PM

Ive searched through the forum but cant see any precise instructions on how to actually utilise the built in storage of the C91 ? I had tried making changes recommednded in the forum to change the default location of downloaded files, but I dont seem to be able to move any installed apps over onto the internal memory ?

Is this "feature" only available on certain ROMS ? I cant make it work on the ICS betas or on Ginger Relax 1.1 ?

Thanks.

#2 omarahum

omarahum

Zenithink Tablet User / Information Transmitter

• Global Moderators
  • 6,520 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 25 January 2012 - 05:00 PM

I believe the internal "NAND" storage space is meant to be used more for personal files like ebooks, pdfs, documents, music, videos and pictures....

Are your internal /system and /data partitions already full that you need more space for apps? Usually moving some apps to the sdcard could solve that.....

zenithinklogosforsignature3.png
Zenithink ZT-180-101 Original 10" Epad (Ruby 1.2 / 576 - B0) (0603 Froyo) - {July 2010} R.I.P. - May 2013
Zenithink ZT-180-701A 7" Upad (Cameo - E3) (0613/0618 Froyo) - {April 2011}
Zenithink ZT-180-102 10" v2 Zepad (Jade 2.3-Blue - G0) (0613/0618 Froyo) - {April 2011}
Zenithink ZT-280-C91 10" Zepad (H1_2n : 0217 GB
@ 900MHz w/ 2GB Data Partition) - {Sept. 2011}
Zenithink ZT-280-C71 7" Upad (E7_1n : 0217 GB @ 900MHz w/ 1.5GB Data Partition) - {Sept. 2011}
Zenithink ZT-283-C93 10" ZTPad (H6_1f : 0911 ICS w/ 2GB Data Partition and working (pl2303) USB GPS)
- {Oct. 2012}
Zenithink ZT-283-C97 9.7" ZTPad (I1_2a :
0910 ICS w/ 2GB Data Partition and working (pl2303) USB GPS) - {Nov. 2012}

SlateDroid ZT-180 WIKI \ Zenithink Website \ Zenithink FTP \ Stock ROMs \ ZT-28* Modified Kernels & RecoveriesM \ Donations Accepted!
If I've helped you or are using an overclocked kernel I've uploaded, and wish to help support my efforts, please consider leaving me a donation. Thank you!
btn_donate_SM.gif ॐ 
Please click on the Like This button for any posts you like or have helped you to show your appreciation...
Also know that all the staff here are volunteers, we don't get paid for our time spent here, so please be patient with us... Thank you!

#3 amiryu

amiryu

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:35 AM

I believe the internal "NAND" storage space is meant to be used more for personal files like ebooks, pdfs, documents, music, videos and pictures....

Are your internal /system and /data partitions already full that you need more space for apps? Usually moving some apps to the sdcard could solve that.....

Basically anything under /mnt/flash is the nand storage you can move anything you want there by making a folder and utilizing the space. However if you flash or update your rom everything there will be deleted.

#4 jlgmax

jlgmax

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 07:28 AM

Hi I'm trying to install a game called Eternal Legacy. It installs but then when I run it it says it needs another 900mb of space. I currently only have a 2gig SD card inserted (waiting for delivery of 16gb one) so I thought I would try and utilise the built in memory but to no avail !

#5 Alex W

Alex W

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 08:22 AM

Hi I'm trying to install a game called Eternal Legacy. It installs but then when I run it it says it needs another 900mb of space. I currently only have a 2gig SD card inserted (waiting for delivery of 16gb one) so I thought I would try and utilise the built in memory but to no avail !

Sadly you will have to save the gamedata to the SD card - Gameloft games in particular.

You can only really save personal data on the Nand ram.
ZT-280 C91 android4.0 20120104_3n
Model -: ZT280K03MGPSM512F8

#6 elcopone

elcopone

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

hi, i was also having problems with the nand, until i used this workaround:
http://www.slatedroi...748#entry303748

When you do this workaround , you don't have use an external microSD.

From now on i can download files and install games to the internal nand. I installed games like GTA and Shadowgun without the use of external microSD and its all installed on the 6,5 gb internal nand.

I dont know if moving apps also work, but with fresh and clean installs from market or APK files it works.

I think it really sucks that we have a tablet with 8gb of USELESS memory that we only can use for manually copy files. Hopefully they will change it in future firmware.

The workaround is not the best way ,but it works.
Zenithink ZT-280 C91 3n version

#7 irazu

irazu

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

On gb working also great

Sent from my Zenithink C91 Cortex A9

#8 QCC

QCC

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 28 January 2012 - 02:00 PM

I believe you are confusing the internal NAND with SSD storage.
The Android OS runs in the 512MB or 1GB of NAND memory. The SSD or internal SD card is used for all other purposes.
Swapping NAND for the internal SD card will slow down your tablet.
Apps are initially downloaded to the NAND memory. When the application is run, it runs in NAND memory.

Most apps can be moved to the SD card using the settings, manage application.
Those that cannot be moved are generally services that run in the background.
The programme App Backup and Restore will copy your apps to an external SD card.

My FlyTouch 5 (Gingerbread)can move apps to the SD card, but my ACER A500 (Honeycomb) does not have the move to SD Card option, so this feature may vary by OS version.

QCC

#9 elcopone

elcopone

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:08 AM

I believe you are confusing the internal NAND with SSD storage.
The Android OS runs in the 512MB or 1GB of NAND memory. The SSD or internal SD card is used for all other purposes.
Swapping NAND for the internal SD card will slow down your tablet.
Apps are initially downloaded to the NAND memory. When the application is run, it runs in NAND memory.

Most apps can be moved to the SD card using the settings, manage application.
Those that cannot be moved are generally services that run in the background.
The programme App Backup and Restore will copy your apps to an external SD card.

My FlyTouch 5 (Gingerbread)can move apps to the SD card, but my ACER A500 (Honeycomb) does not have the move to SD Card option, so this feature may vary by OS version.

QCC

Hi,

- I believe you are confusing the internal NAND with SSD storage:
No , Our tablet has a 8gb NAND chip, what they do is partition this memory chip. 1GB for the android OS and 0.8GB for apps storage within the andoid OS and 6,1 GB for free data storage(u called it SSD) but basically its all on the same NAND memory chip. (An SSD is build of NAND chips).
For example: U can see it as a PC harddrive with 3 partitions. C:\ is for windowsOS(1GB) and D:\ is for example installed games(0.8GB) and E:\ is for free data storage Music,videos,etc.(6,1GB)

-Swapping NAND for the internal SD card will slow down your tablet:
NAND is the hardware name for the memory chip, InternalSD is a partition on the Nand(so its a part of the NAND chip)
On the performance side: this is because they use cheap slow Nand chips, Fast memory chips are too expensive. But there will be no noticeable difference with an microSD(i think most microSD will be slower).

I work for Samsung mobile and replace nand chips on daily base. So i know what i'm talking about. This method is used on all of their devices with internal storage memory(Galaxy S,S2,Nexus,TAB,etc.)

kind regards
  • crissiwill likes this
Zenithink ZT-280 C91 3n version

#10 cjhallx

cjhallx

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationCENTRAL NJ

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:04 PM

Ive searched through the forum but cant see any precise instructions on how to actually utilise the built in storage of the C91 ? I had tried making changes recommednded in the forum to change the default location of downloaded files, but I dont seem to be able to move any installed apps over onto the internal memory ?

Is this "feature" only available on certain ROMS ? I cant make it work on the ICS betas or on Ginger Relax 1.1 ?

Thanks.

Sandisk makes an app called SANDISK MEMORY ZONE that allows you to transfer between internal, SD and several cloud storage services.
I have a X10.COM AIRPAD X which is a rebadge of the ZENITHINK ZT280-C91.
I have a X10.COM AIRPAD XL which is a rebadge of the PLOYER MOMO15.
My ZT280-C91 firmware is Android 2.3 20111220.

#11 Leekoid

Leekoid

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:34 AM

Very helpful thread :) Started to move all my movies/music into the NAND Flash. Top stuff! :) Cheers guys
Zenithink ZT280 C91 Upgrade - Android 4.0.3 ICS
Capacitive 10.2" Screen, ARM Cortex A9 1Ghz Single Core CPU, 1GB Ram, 8GB Internal NAND Flash, 8GB Sandisk MicroSD, USB Bluetooth Adaptor and Bluetooth GPS Receiver
Running BlueGPS and Sygic Navigation software
or.... sometimes quite happily playing Mario64 using Mupen64Plus :)

#12 Wild_Duck

Wild_Duck

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:22 AM

Hello, I read a TXT file that swaps the internal and external memory around, I can now save apps to Nand.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:56 PM
Hello,

Yesterday i got my zt-280 c91 and had the problem that when i try to download something in browser or dropbox or other apps it always needs an external sd and never uses the 8 gb internal memory. the internal memory is only for copy files manually.
So I searched on the forum and some guys got it fixed with flashing new firmware. This doesn't work for me. I tried almost every firmware out there but everytime when try download something got message: No sd inserted.
I found out the problem is that android is configured to save files by default in: /mnt/sdcard and on our device this is the externalSD.
(internal memory = /mnt/flash)
Now i found a workaround to switch external with internal memory.
Now every thing is saved on Internal memory, so you don't have use external MicroSd anymore :-)

In system/etc/ is a file called vold.fstab that you need to edit.

the original is like this:
# Mounts the first usable partition of the specified device
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/AMLOGIC_CARD/card_host/memorycard0
dev_mount flash /mnt/flash auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd3/avnftl3
dev_mount usb /mnt/sda auto /devices/lm0/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0/

the modified version is like this:
dev_mount flash /mnt/flash auto /devices/platform/AMLOGIC_CARD/card_host/memorycard0
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd3/avnftl3

So basically,
everywhere where FLASH is written change to SDCARD
and were SDCARD is written change to FLASH.

Now in file explorer the SDCARD folder is the Internal Memory 6,5gb and the FLASH folder is the external memory. it just switched.
and now everything i try to download is saved on my internal memory by default.

This vold.fstab is for ICS , the GINGERBREAD version is the same but I believe it doesn't have the line: dev_mount usb /mnt/sda auto /devices/lm0/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0/

I will attach my modified volt.fstab that you just have to copy in /system/etc/ (seems to work on gingerbread also)
Hopefully i can help someone with this info , this was my biggest problem with this tablet.
Or if someone has an other solution to save by default on internal memory let me know.

Kind regards
Attached File(s)

Attached File modifiedICSvoldfstab.zip (452bytes)
Number of downloads: 48

This post has been edited by elcopone: 30 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

#13 HKP

HKP

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 04:42 AM

Hello, I read a TXT file that swaps the internal and external memory around, I can now save apps to Nand.

Attached File(s)

Attached File modifiedICSvoldfstab.zip (452bytes)
Number of downloads: 48

This post has been edited by elcopone: 30 January 2012 - 12:06 AM

Hi I am also facing the problem with download. It's asking for a SD card. I wanted to download the modified "ICSvoldfstab.zip" from your post but there is no link to it. Kindly help by reloading the same.

Thanks in advance

HKP

#14 omarahum

omarahum

Zenithink Tablet User / Information Transmitter

• Global Moderators
  • 6,520 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

Hi I am also facing the problem with download. It's asking for a SD card. I wanted to download the modified "ICSvoldfstab.zip" from your post but there is no link to it. Kindly help by reloading the same.

Thanks in advance

HKP

Original post is here - http://www.slatedroi...post__p__303748

Hello,

Yesterday i got my zt-280 c91 and had the problem that when i try to download something in browser or dropbox or other apps it always needs an external sd and never uses the 8 gb internal memory. the internal memory is only for copy files manually.
So I searched on the forum and some guys got it fixed with flashing new firmware. This doesn't work for me. I tried almost every firmware out there but everytime when try download something got message: No sd inserted.
I found out the problem is that android is configured to save files by default in: /mnt/sdcard and on our device this is the externalSD.
(internal memory = /mnt/flash)
Now i found a workaround to switch external with internal memory.
Now every thing is saved on Internal memory, so you don't have use external MicroSd anymore :-)

In system/etc/ is a file called vold.fstab that you need to edit.

the original is like this:
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/platform/AMLOGIC_CARD/card_host/memorycard0
dev_mount flash /mnt/flash auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd3/avnftl3

the modified version is like this:
dev_mount flash /mnt/flash auto /devices/platform/AMLOGIC_CARD/card_host/memorycard0
dev_mount sdcard /mnt/sdcard auto /devices/virtual/mtd/mtd3/avnftl3

So basically,
everywhere where FLASH is written change to SDCARD
and were SDCARD is written change to FLASH.

Now in file explorer the SDCARD folder is the Internal Memory 6,5gb and the FLASH folder is the external memory. it just switched.
and now everything i try to download is saved on my internal memory by default.

This vold.fstab is for ICS , the GINGERBREAD version is the same but I believe it doesn't have the line: dev_mount usb /mnt/sda auto /devices/lm0/usb1/1-1/1-1:1.0/

I will attach my modified volt.fstab that you just have to copy in /system/etc/ (seems to work on gingerbread also)
Hopefully i can help someone with this info , this was my biggest problem with this tablet.
Or if someone has an other solution to save by default on internal memory let me know.

Kind regards

modifiedICSvoldfstab.zip

zenithinklogosforsignature3.png
Zenithink ZT-180-101 Original 10" Epad (Ruby 1.2 / 576 - B0) (0603 Froyo) - {July 2010} R.I.P. - May 2013
Zenithink ZT-180-701A 7" Upad (Cameo - E3) (0613/0618 Froyo) - {April 2011}
Zenithink ZT-180-102 10" v2 Zepad (Jade 2.3-Blue - G0) (0613/0618 Froyo) - {April 2011}
Zenithink ZT-280-C91 10" Zepad (H1_2n : 0217 GB
@ 900MHz w/ 2GB Data Partition) - {Sept. 2011}
Zenithink ZT-280-C71 7" Upad (E7_1n : 0217 GB @ 900MHz w/ 1.5GB Data Partition) - {Sept. 2011}
Zenithink ZT-283-C93 10" ZTPad (H6_1f : 0911 ICS w/ 2GB Data Partition and working (pl2303) USB GPS)
- {Oct. 2012}
Zenithink ZT-283-C97 9.7" ZTPad (I1_2a :
0910 ICS w/ 2GB Data Partition and working (pl2303) USB GPS) - {Nov. 2012}

SlateDroid ZT-180 WIKI \ Zenithink Website \ Zenithink FTP \ Stock ROMs \ ZT-28* Modified Kernels & RecoveriesM \ Donations Accepted!
If I've helped you or are using an overclocked kernel I've uploaded, and wish to help support my efforts, please consider leaving me a donation. Thank you!
btn_donate_SM.gif ॐ 
Please click on the Like This button for any posts you like or have helped you to show your appreciation...
Also know that all the staff here are volunteers, we don't get paid for our time spent here, so please be patient with us... Thank you!

#15 HKP

HKP

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:54 AM

Hi

I could located the vold.fstab, replaced the Flash and SDcard entries as suggested but the system is not allowing to save the file. Perhaps the file may be in use and hence it is not allowing. How to overcome this. I tried to connect the tab to the PC and access the file but it cannot be located through usb connection to PC. Pl help

#16 Mr.Mukura

Mr.Mukura

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:39 AM

Hi,

I just signed up - I got my c91 Upgrade on tuesday from TradeMe, here in New Zealand. It was stock with an update from june and was crazy buggy, so I flashed it with the newest ROM from the zenithink site, seems to be humming along nicely, waaay less wifi dropout - almost none actually... oh accidently put flash 11, but had the apk to restore 10.2 so all goodie. wanting to make MX Player default, and have noticed the memory issue.. am about to dl the zip as posted earlier and try that out, will let you know how it goes. Cheers mateys :-) :drinks:

#17 Mr.Mukura

Mr.Mukura

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:44 AM

Ha ha ha... "An SD Card is required to download this Zip" the irony is killing me... luckily I have one in my phone.... unluckily its an ideos x5 and i have to remove the silicone and the back plate to get at it... ok... ill try again :rofl:

#18 Mr.Mukura

Mr.Mukura

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 03:34 AM

...seems to be write protected in the /system/directories. Do I need to root, or can i hack in through settings on ics?

#19 osmanoca

osmanoca

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2013 - 05:55 PM

how to merge internal and nand memory?