Android Tablets Forum banner

Ainol Novo 7 Aurora - Information - Discussion - Reviews w/ 3 Videos

73K views 159 replies 76 participants last post by  devonian3 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
#2 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ainol Novo 7 Aurora - Third Review - HDMI Out Special - Merimobiles.com HD - by: MrTasselhof

Shortest Review Ever! = GREAT DEVICE!

If you like the Novo 7 Advanced, you will love the Novo 7 Aurora!

Just holding it is a great experience, sleek, smooth, thin, curvy, and sexy (as tablets go).
The screen is also a treat. Colors are much more vivid and lively. The viewing angle is also greatly increased. It is also very crisp.

I like the Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) interface better than any other android versions.
The performance is on par to better than the Novo 7 Advanced.

I can also gladly report that my ROOT script works on it, which means you can also push the market app on to the device very easily.
- as a current downfall is the missing market.

Lordsbm ICS Market and Tweaks script works also.

My Aurora came from Merimobiles.com which currently (01-25-12) has the price at: $174.99 + free shipping
- http://www.merimobil..._p/meri0729.htm

Hope that helps!

MrTasselhof

Reactions: drck and billyturf
#4 ·
The WiFi is actually really strong for this device in my opinion.
No concerns on my end on WiFi.

Tasselhof

#5 ·
What an excellent review. I especially liked how you sped through the parts you knew the audience was most likely wanting to speed through, but kept it in for the people who still needed the information. Thank you very much.

P.S. I'm also glad to hear that the Wifi quality is decent on the device. The Wifi coverage on campus isn't exactly great.

#6 ·
Well I had a couple options...
I could have left it as it was and gone over the 15 minutes... but I think 15 is the right amount for a single video review...
The other option was cutting parts out, but I prefer to keep my videos as a solid single run to provide a more true review... IE no hidden "magic" or funny business where the watching is left wondering... what did they do in the down time etc...

Thanks again!
I just posted the start of an Internal Components Thread.
I will be making a video soon.
The biggest interesting note is that I see a spot for what I believe would be a bluetooth chip to be installed with some minor soldering action.

Tasselhof

#12 ·
So far every app I have tried has run. I also just recently installed the chainfire driver and was able to run cf-bench.
Honestly it is hard to find cons...
Perhaps that it is missing a physical home and menu button.
I would say market but that is an easy fix.
Performance is really good, but could possibly be stronger...
Missing bluetooth I guess would be the biggest thing but there is a possibility of soldering a chip in...

I'm trying :p... Been typing this for over 15 minutes. (initially responded on YouTube to same question)

Tasselhof

#13 ·
Thanks for the video review! It's the best one on Youtube that I've found so far! A few questions though...
Do emulators run well on the Aurora? I've ordered one, and want to re-play all the old games I've had in the past. Would be great to plug in a gamepad with HDMI-out to my TV! I'm interested in SNES, NES, GBA and PS1 emulation.

If anybody could test, are Bluetooth dongles working on it? What about 3G dongles? I've read in other Novo 7 tablets' threads that they only support certain Huawei models.

I hope the delivery doesn't get delayed, so I can help you answer questions when I get mine too. (Earliest would be around 2-3 weeks according to my friend who placed the order, can't wait!)

#20 ·
I may try to do a second review.
I will create a thread to get requests for what people would like to see in it.

Browser works fine.. I usually use Dolphin Browser HD.
For YouTube I used the app and it was smooth and clear.

Tasselhof

#22 ·
I am running the Antutu Battery Tester app now with WiFi on.
I will post the results in the Benchmarks thread when done.

Tasselhof

#24 ·
Big problem with my 16G 's Aurora.
Yesterday, when I switched on my tablet, all my apps (except Gapps) have disappeared and were inaccesible. this part of nand was innaccesible too.
I make a mistake by formating it.
Now I can't install apps (message like : not enough space, manage your apps...); when I switch off, i lost wifi password, google password....

My question : is it possible to make a factory reset ?
What should I do to have same results as when i switch on the tablet for the first time ?

Sorry for my english...

#25 ·
A very unfortunate situation, fdetoulouse.

I have been playing with my Aurora quite a bit, and everytime I had a problem, I was able to flash the firmware back on and start from the beginning again. Do you have the tools and firmware to flash? If not I can post the latest ones for you.

/Martin

#28 ·
Thanks for the videos and tips, ordered the Aurora 16gb today. My first tablet
I was going to wait for the Ipad 3 but this is reasonably priced and has a good spec. I just hope I can get marketplace going and don't get any issues. As a Apple user I have never fiddled with Android much.

#30 ·
I just received today Aurora and it came with Android 4.0.1. I'm sure Ainol will release official 4.0.3 release in February. I already rooted and installed market. Anyway why are you having problem to install market on 4.0.3? Just replace Apps and Framework from 4.0.3 build and I'm guessing running the same script will allow you to install market.

#34 · (Edited by Moderator)
My aurora seems to get a little warm on the left side of the tablet. I'm guessing this is where the processor and gpu are. Also, so far, my battery life isn't so great.... It seems to be going down 1% every couple minutes with wifi on. Has anyone who tried the 4.0.3 build seen improvements on battery life?
Aurora constantly looking for 3g/cell tower signal and that's why the signal drops a lot. You need to rename a few apps in System/Apps folder. The easy way to do it by downloading the script and disabling services http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/28682-root-ainol-novo-7-aurora-tasselhof-root-market-script-tools/. Also CPU set on Governor PERFORMANCE which is running 1ghz all the time even in sleep mode. You must install SetCPU or similar program to change governor to OnDemand which will allow your Aurora to go to deep sleep. I'm having the same problem since I only got my Aurora yesterday and I'm still tweaking it. You can add the following tweaks to your build.prop as well

ro.carrier=wifi-only
wifi.supplicant_scan_interval=180
pm.sleep_mode=1
ro.ril.disable.power.collapse=0
ro.media.enc.jpeg.quality=100
debug.sf.hw=1
video.accelerate.hw=1
ro.media.dec.jpeg.memcap=8000000
ro.media.enc.hprof.vid.bps=800000
net.tcp.buffersize.default=4096,87380,256960,4096, 16384,256960
net.tcp.buffersize.wifi=4096,87380,256960,4096,163 84,256960

#38 ·
having issues with flash working. youtube.com will not work, at least the video will not run. various other sites that i would look at also... i have done the scripts, an gotten the market working and such, however flash( at least i assume it is the flash) is not working. using dolphin HD, same as i would on my phone(droidx). any suggestions?

#45 ·
Hello,
1.Firstly the tablet shows screen rez 1024x552. Why? OS bug or what.Is there a problem for programs compability?
2.Titanium backup shows it has a root but can't restore external apps(just internal i tried after 2 hard reset and Titanium restore programs like angry birds with data),I succesfully deleted some apps in /system/app with Root Explorer. I used Root Check Basic, result:This device has root access!So do we have root? Why need aditional soft for market and flash?
3.Can we have live wallpapers?
4.For now Quickoffice,Skyfire,Soul Movie installs but won't work. I have force close often with other programs like Mobo Video Player.Can't make skype video call.
5.I tried MX Video Player mVideoPlayer plays video with sub but also with chinese subs so it's unreadable. If i stop subs, only shows the chinese.
Can I have some answers and suggestions for the problems.Thanks.

#46 ·
Most likely that is because of the ICS bar at the bottom... it generally tries to stay on top/visible so it will sometimes slightly shrink an app display.
Did you install BusyBox? Titanium backup requires it... but I think there have been others that said it might not work yet on this device.
Yes you can set Live Wallpapers.
I used MoboPlayer in my review video without issue.
I used Dolphin Browser HD primarily for my web browser.
I haven't tried quick office.

So far I haven't run in to any issues of apps not running or closing out... not sure why you are.
You haven't overclocked the device or anything right?

Tasselhof

#47 ·
Do you see in your settings that screen is 1024x552?
I never had BusyBox on my phone but used Titanium.
How can I use LiveWallpaper when I install it- no menu for setting it? I install LiveWallpaper Picker but it crash when set the wallpaper.
What version of MoboPlayer you use.When I try to open a directory:"Player Pro has crashed."
I didn't overclock or enithing else.
Is it normal to have root like my Aurora with no script installed?

#50 · (Edited by Moderator)
Reactions: WAI
#52 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.