Android Tablets Forum banner

The EKEN M001 and alike, USB starter guide

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  iwoolf 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello readers,

My Reason for starting this thread is to help people like me to make the Eken M001 USB mod WORK!

As my software skills are lacking in android I cannot help with any software issues any one has.

I have a more or less working USB port on my MID M001 (cheap replicate of Eken M001), the only current problem is with powering the port. The female USB port I installed replaces the old WiFi card in the M001 doesn't have power unless the WiFi is turned on.

When you turn the WiFi on and off from in android the M001 simply cuts power to the WiFi card. So if you are using the WiFi cards USB port the device that you plug into the newly added USB port is only powered when WiFi is turned on from with in android, the only problem being the android turns the WiFi back off when it notices that there is no WiFi card plugged in!

In order to over come these problems we need to find power for the USB port from another location, ideally we could run the USB port straight from the battery but the battery runs 7.4V not the required 5V. I'm sure someone will simply create a power supply to give the USB port power from the battery.

I'm still working on how to power the port and will post my successes.

Edit: Using an external powered USB hub works fine! Thought powered USB hubs are bulky they do the job.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.