Photo

[ROM] [T301] SJHill Rom (17 Feb 2012) Download link updated!

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

#1 feyerbrand

feyerbrand

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:31 PM

I am not a fan of having to dig through topics to find very useful information. So I figured I would make a page with Steven J Hills Rom he released today for the T301. I in no way shape or form have an affiliation with the creation process of this, I am just making it available to those who don't check the forums every 2 seconds to see if the ROM has been made available.

This is a Custom Rom made for the Velocity Micro T301 Series. Do not try to install devices other than the T301 or you will brick your tablet.

***FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK***

How to Flash

1 - Place Update.Zip on SD card
2 - power down device
3 - Press and Hold Vol + key and power up device while holding the Vol +
** Hint **
I often times have issues doing it this way, so I use the steps Velocity Micro puts out there for everyone else, and I quote "Insert the tip of a straightened paperclip into the Reset hole to press the internal reset button to restart the device.Release the reset button and immediately press and hold the volume up button (Vol+). Keep holding until you see the Cruz logo appear on the screen. If "Cruz" is followed by "Android", the update mode was missed... try re-inserting the paper clip into the reset button and start the steps over again."

4 - The update.zip should self install.
5 - Device will reboot and you will have yourself a custom Rom installed on your T301 (Do not do this on the T103 it is not compatible.)

This is very pre alpha stuff here.
The Following is included

- Remove Google Maps and navigation
- New "commands" via symlinks to busybox: cp env fdisk find grep mknod
more pwd sed md5sum sha1sum sha256sum sha512sum sort sleep strings
su tail tar tee telnet touch tr uniq uname unzip vi wc which xargs
basename [ [[
- Added Superuser.apk
- Added '/system/etc/group' file
- Mount '/system' in read/write mode
- Added Wifi Analyser package
- Replaced recovery image with ClockworkMod recovery
- Changed ugly background
- Deleted all test applications from '/data/app'

Check ChangeLog for other features.

What's not working
*Overclocking

Posted Image

Alternative Download Link
Alternative DL V0.3

Please leave comments, criticisms, and Compliments to further progress this Rom.

ChangeLog
Steven J Hill Rom V0.2
*Steven J Hill Kernel
*Android market
*Maps
*Other Google Apps
*ConnectBot 1.6.1 Compiled by Steven J Hill targeted at Froyo
*De-Bloated

Posted by Steven J Hill 1/10/2012 OP

Edited by feyerbrand, 21 March 2013 - 10:31 AM.

• humahumanukanukaapuaa and heatherob like this

#2 sjbowler

sjbowler

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:01 PM

I am not a fan of having to dig through topics to find very useful information. So I figured I would make a page with Steven J Hills Rom he released today for the T301. I in no way shape or form have an affiliation with the creation process of this, I am just making it available to those who don't check the forums every 2 seconds to see if the ROM has been made available.

This is a Custom Rom made for the Velocity Micro T301 Series. Do not try to install devices other than the T301 or you will brick your tablet.

*Steven J Hill Kernel
*Android market
*Maps
*Other Google Apps

De-Bloated

What's not working
*We don't know yet, let us know

Steven J Hill Rom V0.2

Please leave comments, criticisms, and Compliments to further progress this Rom.

I'm having trouble getting Amazon Market to work after installing the custom ROM. I didn't have any problems with it with the v0.1. Just wanted to let you know.

#3 feyerbrand

feyerbrand

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:08 PM

I'm having trouble getting Amazon Market to work after installing the custom ROM. I didn't have any problems with it with the v0.1. Just wanted to let you know.

Has anyone else been able to replicate this issue?

#4 goochbuntu

goochbuntu

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

If your cruz is already have a working google market. and you have a working superuser. i wouldnt update to this.

since its basicly stuck at 528 max for over clocking..

so i dont see any difference. this is great for new cruz users or people that couldnt adb the device.

the amazon app store works http://www.cruzmarke...m/mkt/mhome.asp

with this custom rom

have a great day

#5 lxskllr

lxskllr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:48 PM

On overclocking, how much headroom would you estimate these devices have? 10%, 20%, more???

Posted Image

#6 trppen37

trppen37

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 01:01 AM

oh so no on overclocking? still feels the same?

#7 enigma0456

enigma0456

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:33 AM

That is a good question. What is the advantage of installing this ROM if you already have root access, have removed the bloatware and installed clockworkmod to do backups. What features does it add? Now I understand that Stephen Hill is learning all the steps to be able to produce a kernel/rom for the T301 and that is great. I'm hopeful that he will be able to carry us beyond Froyo at some point. But, the question remains, what is actually different about this than what we have already have? If it can be installed with clockworkmod and then removed and your original rom replaced that would be fine - to help him test his work. I guess my question is more philosophical regarding ROMS in general - what makes a custom rom worth installing? What features can be added that the stock rom doesn't have? Comments might be helpful to give Stephen some direction. I personally applaud his efforts and want to help him continue.

#8 feyerbrand

feyerbrand

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 218 posts
  • LocationIdaho

Posted 11 January 2012 - 10:48 AM

It looks like currently this ROM is a faster easier way to do all the steps that are laid out in the Guide that has been here for a while. Steven started working on this ROM before that even happened. I am assuming now that he has the basic foot in the door he can beef this puppy up and make a better faster working version of Android for us all... well almost all of us I am hoping he makes a T10X compatible version of the ROM soon...

#9 sjbowler

sjbowler

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:42 PM

If your cruz is already have a working google market. and you have a working superuser. i wouldnt update to this.

since its basicly stuck at 528 max for over clocking..

so i dont see any difference. this is great for new cruz users or people that couldnt adb the device.

the amazon app store works http://www.cruzmarke...m/mkt/mhome.asp

with this custom rom

have a great day

Using the installer from this location worked for me, thanks.

#10 goochbuntu

goochbuntu

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 04:42 PM

well i see that the dalvik.vm.heapsize=24m <edit:that line in bulid.prop is the 24m in stock firmware>

so that maybe why its faster or feels faster.

as far as overclocking its not going to all you can do is max it out.
maps and navagation is preinstalled and a few unwanted apps these are optional to remove

rm /system/app/BooksPhone.apk
rm /system/app/ConnectBotM.apk
rm /system/app/Facebook.apk
rm /system/app/GoogleBackupTransport.apk
rm /system/app/GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
rm /system/app/GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
rm /system/app/Maps.apk
rm /system/app/Notes.apk
rm /system/app/PassionQuickOffice.apk
rm /system/app/SpareParts.apk
rm /system/app/Twitter.apk
rm /system/app/YouTube.apk

also root is not working in this custom firmware so you will have to fix it as stated on this site

this is why i say if everything is working already for your cruz its a pointless update

but if your new to the cruz its a great update and if you dont have a computer to adb to customize your cruz its a great update

that being said thank you steven j hill

Edited by goochbuntu, 11 January 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#11 fun_

fun_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

I wonder why "custom rom" must have overclocking feature. of course software support is needed, but at first hardware must support it.
and why "rooting/rooted" must be done too.

Steven J. Hill tells us that "custom rom" can be made. it's great. it's superior than "rooting".

I think he cared about suspend/resume. did anyone try it and report result to him?
http://androtab.info/

#12 phoenix121

phoenix121

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

*Steven J Hill Kernel
*Android market
*Maps
*Other Google Apps

De-Bloated

What's not working
*Overclocking

Download Here
Steven J Hill Rom V0.2

Hi all.
I got the T301 in the mail from amazon a few days ago. The shipper was supposed to send the T103, but they mixed up the order. Only a week till school, so i decided to keep it.
Found this forum, flashed the ROM, and its running a lot better. I can load large PDF's (school textbooks) and install some games.

A few things i've found:

Both before and after flashing the ROM, mp4 videos will not work. they will play for a while, then freeze the whole tablet up. I'm guessing that's more a limitation of the tablet itself?
Browser will sometimes not work. (rebooting it fixes that)

If there's anything i can do to help yall guys out, Let me know! Steven, you're da man! :D

#13 Kingofwar_56

Kingofwar_56

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 08:55 PM

Currently, my t301 is rooted with the google apps installed and all bloat removed. It doesn't run fast at all. I'm about to install this rom and will post back regarding any speed differences I find.

#14 goochbuntu

goochbuntu

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:02 PM

here is the apps that are in the /system/app folder hope this is helpful <of stevens rom>

AccountAndSyncSettings.apk
AppWidgetPicker.apk
ApplicationsProvider.apk
BooksPhone.apk
Browser.apk
Calculator.apk
Calendar.apk
CalendarProvider.apk
CertInstaller.apk
ConnectBotM.apk
ContactsProvider.apk
DefaultContainerService.apk
DeskClock.apk
DownloadProvider.apk
DrmProvider.apk
Email.apk
Facebook.apk
FileManager.apk
Gallery.apk
GoogleBackupTransport.apk
GoogleCalendarSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleContactsSyncAdapter.apk
GoogleFeedback.apk
GooglePartnerSetup.apk
GoogleServicesFramework.apk
HTMLViewer.apk
LatinIME.apk
Launcher2.apk
Maps.apk
MarketUpdater.apk
MediaProvider.apk
MediaUploader.apk
Music.apk
NetworkLocation.apk
Notes.apk
OneTimeInitializer.apk
PackageInstaller.apk
PassionQuickOffice.apk
PicoTts.apk
Protips.apk
Provision.apk
QuickSearchBox.apk
Settings.apk
SettingsProvider.apk
SpareParts.apk
Talk.apk
TtsService.apk
Twitter.apk
UserDictionaryProvider.apk
Vending.apk
VisualizationWallpapers.apk
VpnServices.apk
YouTube.apk
kickback.apk
soundback.apk

#15 goochbuntu

goochbuntu

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 11:16 PM

Hi all.
I got the T301 in the mail from amazon a few days ago. The shipper was supposed to send the T103, but they mixed up the order. Only a week till school, so i decided to keep it.
Found this forum, flashed the ROM, and its running a lot better. I can load large PDF's (school textbooks) and install some games.

A few things i've found:

Both before and after flashing the ROM, mp4 videos will not work. they will play for a while, then freeze the whole tablet up. I'm guessing that's more a limitation of the tablet itself?
Browser will sometimes not work. (rebooting it fixes that)

If there's anything i can do to help yall guys out, Let me know! Steven, you're da man! :D

be glad you got the t301 its much better than the t103 sometimes after update the t103 becomes very unstable

#16 phoenix121

phoenix121

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:04 AM

be glad you got the t301 its much better than the t103 sometimes after update the t103 becomes very unstable

Yea, i would've been pissed off if i wouldve messed it up

Dosent the T103 have better specs, though? I remember reading that the T301 has 256 MB RAM, while the T103 has 512 MB (and the camera, of course!)

#17 mondomondoman

mondomondoman

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

*Steven J Hill Kernel
*Android market
*Maps
*Other Google Apps

De-Bloated

What's not working
*Overclocking

Download Here
Steven J Hill Rom V0.2

So I installed CWM and SU with busybox froyo and then this rom. It boots but when I try to enable the Wifi it says error. Is it possible I've done something wrong?

#18 Steven J. Hill

Steven J. Hill

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationMidwest

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:41 AM

Reading the comments, for the next ROM I should do the following:

- Make it so Clockworkmod remains after updating the ROM
- Mount /system as read-write
- Add the superuser support
- Enable wifi ad-hoc

Any other requests?

#19 trppen37

trppen37

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:07 AM

from what I gather, more speed the better, overclocking maybe set cpu/no frills control not limted to 524mhz? , angry birds, flash... would something like "swapper" be beneficial for this if at all it even works?

#20 fun_

fun_

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 02:40 AM

Reading the comments, for the next ROM I should do the following:

- Make it so Clockworkmod remains after updating the ROM
- Mount /system as read-write
- Add the superuser support
- Enable wifi ad-hoc

Any other requests?

currently my CWM doesn't support inand related functions so some partitions such as mbr, xboot, boot, and recovery can't be handled directly. as a workaround, I added inand_flash_image in CWM ramdisk but updater-script need to be written to use it.
I can learn what should I do from NOVO7 Basic's source, but currently I don't have enough time to do it.

then, what's problem? I guess inand_write_raw() in updater-script may work with update-binary in official or your update.zip. then, mbr/xboot/boot/recovery partitions will be updated. but CWM can't make backup of them, CWM can't restore them from backup. users will make inconsistent system easily...

I may ask you to modify your updater-script for my CWM, but I don't think it's good idea :(
may I send e-mail to you?

Edited by fun_, 12 January 2012 - 02:40 AM.

http://androtab.info/