• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Welmoed

Welmoed

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Somehow my gTab charging port got damaged. I think it was when I was at a hotel last week, and it was on the arm of a sofa while it was charging, and it fell. The charging plug now sticks in at an odd angle, and the charging light does not light. I suspect the internal connection has been broken. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but don't know how to pry the cover open. Is this something I can attempt on my own, or is it going to cost me more to fix than a new tablet would cost? I haven't been overly thrilled with the gTab anyway, but would rather fix this one than have to spend $$$ on a new one.
Thanks for any pointers.
--Welmoed
Welmoed
in Maryland
Viewsonic gTablet, currently stock but exploring my options

#2 dharr18

dharr18

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 10:16 AM

Somehow my gTab charging port got damaged. I think it was when I was at a hotel last week, and it was on the arm of a sofa while it was charging, and it fell. The charging plug now sticks in at an odd angle, and the charging light does not light. I suspect the internal connection has been broken. I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, but don't know how to pry the cover open. Is this something I can attempt on my own, or is it going to cost me more to fix than a new tablet would cost? I haven't been overly thrilled with the gTab anyway, but would rather fix this one than have to spend $$$ on a new one.
Thanks for any pointers.
--Welmoed

On the bottom of the tab, in each corner, there are rubber(?) feet/screw covers. Removing them should get you access to the screws to open the back of the tab.

#3 alaskn81

alaskn81

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:23 PM

I have opened my tab up a few times because my charging port is a little faulty as well, for mine its still attached properly but for some reason it will only charge in a certain position, the red light comes on but its not actually charging until I position it perfectly and I get the electric icon on the battery showing.

There are four screws like dharr18 mentioned and then there about three plastic tabs on each side that snap in to keep the back cover on too, I used a small flat tip screwdriver to get underneath to help pry it up to release the small tabs. It's easiest to start on the side with the micro sd and usb slot since it has less of the plastic tabs keeping it in place.

#4 ddr

ddr

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 18 January 2012 - 11:50 PM

If it is like a laptop power jack, then it is a unit soldered to the mainboard. The ones on laptops break all the time and there are a lot of specialty shops that fix them.

I have sent quite a few to Dory at Watts Repair Service - he charges 39.99 to repair pretty much any laptop, netbook etc. I dont know if he would be interested in doing tablets, but if he can get the parts I dont see why not. His phone is 818-419-8877 and he is in California (PST) if you want to call him and ask. I will say that he is honest and reliable and will not say he can do what he cannot.
Via 8650 Running Modroid v11
Viewsonic G-Tablet Running DRH
Cruz Micro T103
Hyundai A7-HD

www.appbrewers.com

https://market.andro...ewers.com&hl=en

#5 Spidengo

Spidengo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:26 AM

Hey guys,
You can buy a dock for $45 which charges the G-tablet through the bottom dock port using your stock charger rather than through the ac charging port. This may be the easiest path of "repair", without opening the unit up. My charging port is in perfect physical condition, but only charges when adjusted to the perfect angle. My tablet is only 6 months old. After "trolling" the threads reading up on all the broken charging ports, I've realized that sending it in for warranty repair is about the same shipping + time cost as just buying a dock. The turn around is 3-4 weeks when sending it in. The least expensive dock I can find is on merimobiles.com for $45. Has anyone else found a dock for less?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk
HTC Inspire 4G: RCMix3D Runnymede v4.0
Acer Iconia A500 16GB: HC3.2 US 7.006.01 GEN2 rooted
Logitech Revue: HC3.1 Stock
--------------PDAs/Smartphones of lore-----------------
Viewsonic G-Tablet: VeganTab5.1.1/CM7.1.x/TEAM DRH ICS beta
Pandigital Novel (white): SlateDroid OP GAPPS 3/02/2011
Samsung Captivate: Cognition 4.5.3
HTC G1: EZGingerbread CM7.2
HTC Tilt2: Energy ROM 21xxx Sense 2.5/XDAndroid Froyo
HTC Fuze: Death by H2O :-(
Palm Treo 750w: Hermann Stable 21xxx
Palm Treo 700w
HP iPAQ H2215
Dell Axim x3
Kyocera Palm 6035
Philips Nino

#6 alaskn81

alaskn81

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

Hey guys,
You can buy a dock for $45 which charges the G-tablet through the bottom dock port using your stock charger rather than through the ac charging port. This may be the easiest path of "repair", without opening the unit up. My charging port is in perfect physical condition, but only charges when adjusted to the perfect angle. My tablet is only 6 months old. After "trolling" the threads reading up on all the broken charging ports, I've realized that sending it in for warranty repair is about the same shipping + time cost as just buying a dock. The turn around is 3-4 weeks when sending it in. The least expensive dock I can find is on merimobiles.com for $45. Has anyone else found a dock for less?

Sent from my A500 using Tapatalk

Hello, I gave in and purchased a dock as well. My charging port is the same, I have to put it in the perfect position otherwise it wont actually charge, and it will go up to 100% quickly, but not actually be charged yet.

I purchased my dock from http://www.slatedroid.com/topic/265-forum-rules/

------------------------------------------------------
1 x Malata Zpad Dock: Docking Station For Malata Zpad T2 and viewsonic g
tablet, HDMI output, USB, LAN Port (A10209) = US$37.76
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total : US$37.76
Air Mail (Save 45%): US$8.82
Grand Total : US$46.58

Not sure how long it takes, but I just ordered it on the 17th of this month. With all the work the devs are doing lately I'm sure I will get some good use out of my tablet still and tired of messing around trying to charge my tablet. I even opened up my tablet a few times trying to check and see what the problem was, but the charging port is still connected and in place. I don't know enough to take that part off(the black plastic cover on the charging port inside) and see whats wrong either.

but if anyone is familiar with electronics, the red indicator actually lights up but it's not charging yet, the electronic icon doesn't show until you get it into the perfect position then it's charging.

#7 f'n around

f'n around

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 05:31 PM

For those of you having this problem here is my experience with it, take it as you will...

Last summer I noticed my charger not always connecting right. At first I would just have to wiggle the charger a little to get the light to turn on and start charging. After a little while that didn't work and I had to find the perfect angle for the charger to work (as many of you have reported in this thread). The problem persisted and I thought it was a bad solder joint, so I opened my Gtab, removed the board and looked at the charger port. It looked fine to me, so I assumed that it was the internal pin in the port that was comming loose. I put the tab back together and with a ball point pen I bent the pin a little. It worked!! Well it worked for a couple days. I assumed the pin finally gave up and my port was dead, so I ordered a dock. Of course, I had to wait for the dock to come in, so in the mean time I decided to open the gtab one more time just for kicks. Once I had the board out and the charging port exposed I decided to just re-solder the port, it couldn't hurt right? Well instead of adding more solded, as I was worried about causing a short, I just re-heated the existing solder and let it cool. Well, it turns out that worked, there must have been a crack in the solder that was so small I couldn't see it. I haven't had a problem since.

I know it is a long winded post just to say: So for those of you that are having charging problems, and you think the solder looks fine, try re-soldering it anyways. Hope this helps.

good luck,
James
  • alaskn81 likes this

#8 alaskn81

alaskn81

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 06:00 PM

For those of you having this problem here is my experience with it, take it as you will...

Last summer I noticed my charger not always connecting right. At first I would just have to wiggle the charger a little to get the light to turn on and start charging. After a little while that didn't work and I had to find the perfect angle for the charger to work (as many of you have reported in this thread). The problem persisted and I thought it was a bad solder joint, so I opened my Gtab, removed the board and looked at the charger port. It looked fine to me, so I assumed that it was the internal pin in the port that was comming loose. I put the tab back together and with a ball point pen I bent the pin a little. It worked!! Well it worked for a couple days. I assumed the pin finally gave up and my port was dead, so I ordered a dock. Of course, I had to wait for the dock to come in, so in the mean time I decided to open the gtab one more time just for kicks. Once I had the board out and the charging port exposed I decided to just re-solder the port, it couldn't hurt right? Well instead of adding more solded, as I was worried about causing a short, I just re-heated the existing solder and let it cool. Well, it turns out that worked, there must have been a crack in the solder that was so small I couldn't see it. I haven't had a problem since.

I know it is a long winded post just to say: So for those of you that are having charging problems, and you think the solder looks fine, try re-soldering it anyways. Hope this helps.

good luck,
James

Thanks for the info! I really don't know enough about this stuff to know exactly what I'm doing. spent ten years as an aviation mechanic, but worked on structures and landing gear, never any electronics! but I always enjoy taking things apart and messing around anyways.

#9 pattyboh

pattyboh

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationBaltimore md

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

I am starting have the problem where I have to wiggle the charger to get it to charge. Has anyone looked into sending back to Viewsonic?

#10 c1tobor

c1tobor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

Steve's electronic crap sells the dock as well. Thats where I bought mine for just under $50.

My charging port was fine, wanted the Hdmi function.

I understand it takes weeks to get the dock from Hong Kong, Where as Steve will get it to you in days.

Edited by c1tobor, 18 March 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#11 massanutten

massanutten

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 07:48 PM

I’ve used Steve’s Crap before and it’s a good site, but have been checking for the dock weeks before you posted. During this whole time it’s been Sold Out: (http://electroniccra...&products_id=6'> http://electroniccrap.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_10&products_id=6)

Got tired of waiting until restocked so I bought mine here: (http://www.ankaka.co...rt_p47889.html'> http://www.ankaka.com/malata-zpad-dock-docking-station-for-malata-zpad-t2-and-viewsonic-g-tablet-hdmi-output-usb-lan-port_p47889.html) Came in 14 days. Now I’m back up running without worrying if the plug is “just right”. Total cost was $42.81

#12 H2L

H2L

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:38 AM

Sorry to hijack the tread but i can't start new ones.
I had the white screen issue and opened my g tab up to reconnect the video connector. In the process i lost one of the four screws on the back. Does anyone have any ideas as to where to get a replacement screw?

#13 massanutten

massanutten

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Sorry to hijack the tread but i can't start new ones.
I had the white screen issue and opened my g tab up to reconnect the video connector. In the process i lost one of the four screws on the back. Does anyone have any ideas as to where to get a replacement screw?

Did a quick search and maybe found something at thread #2 (http://www.thrivefor...our-thrive.html '> http://www.thrivefor...our-thrive.html }

#14 massanutten

massanutten

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:28 PM

I’ve used Steve’s Crap before and it’s a good site, but have been checking for the dock weeks before you posted. During this whole time it’s been Sold Out: (http://electroniccra...&products_id=6'> http://electroniccrap.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5_10&products_id=6)

Got tired of waiting until restocked so I bought mine here: (http://www.ankaka.co...rt_p47889.html'> http://www.ankaka.com/malata-zpad-dock-docking-station-for-malata-zpad-t2-and-viewsonic-g-tablet-hdmi-output-usb-lan-port_p47889.html) Came in 14 days. Now I’m back up running without worrying if the plug is “just right”. Total cost was $42.81

I ordered a second charging dock for my son from Ankaka - arrived in 11 days. Same cost as before. When you use your credit card - you will be directed through PayPal. Use your credit card of choice or use an existing PayPal account. Been checking Steve's Crap and they've been out of stock since April.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users