• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 rhaziell

rhaziell

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 06:20 PM

Hello Everyone!

Since I've spent 2 days and nights on trying to recovery my Dropad A8i, I would like to share with my experiences.
(Almost all the knowledge about this specific topic comes from this forum, and credits go to many. I've read all the posts on that matter,
and everyone who at least tried any method posted somewhere here have his own contribution)

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS AND USE OF THIS GUIDE!

REQUIREMENTS:
- internal microsd card,
- external microsd card,
- tablet with NAND.
(My Dropad A8 have on-board NAND memory and dual sdcard slots (internal & external), so I cant be sure if this guide will work for NAND only phones.)

RESOURCES:
* HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - http://files.extreme.../file.php?f=197
* HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool - http://hddguru.com/s...el-Format-Tool/
* ALMOST ALL ROMS - http://www.flanesi.i...e-disponibili/#
* WinImage - http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

I. UPGRADING WITHOUT REMOVING BACKPANEL
0. (optional: You can skip this step if You can do step 1. with no errors)
- format you external sd with "HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool": this will delete all partitions on Your sd card, and format it to RAW.

1. Format external sd_card with "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool":
- set Your device, filesystem: FAT32, uncheck any other option, start formating (this will take a while, like > 30 min for 8gb)

2. Open WinImage -> Disk -> Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive... -> select Your sd_card -> select rom image: either with .mm extension or .vhd extension.
(Images are located in main dir of rom; I've found only two different files: "INand_mm_sd_mbr.vhd", and "u-boot-sd.bin.mid703v3.mm" - both worked for me)
- if You'll get errors like "Can't write to drive.. etc", remount sdcard reader to other usb slot and then try again. If that won't help, restart the system and try again.

3. After restoring image, unplug & plug sdcard reader, windows should automatically recognize it and prompt to format; don't do that, instead
open Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management.
- Select largest partition (ie. 2.93 GB) - if You are using > 4 GB card then there probably will be some unallocated space; leave that as it is.
- format selected partition to FAT32 (I think it worked for me with quick formating, but don't beat me if I'm wrong)
(this step is important, because we need PROPERLY FORMATTED partition to be recognized by device - note that this is the last format on sd card;
You could probably skip step 1 and 2, but I haven't tried that)

4. Copy one roms to previously formatted partition.
- try to use rom with erasing NAND in script - which is probably crucial for hard bricked tablets, for others default ROM should work fine)
- all Prox32 roms I've tested had this procedure
(You can check if rom have this option, by viewing utscript.sh and searching line "erasing NAND" or sth. like that in Prox32 roms, however other roms may have this instruction and no such text, as it only output for lcd)
(in my case Evolution 2 R6, M7_20111010, HerotabC8_V2.2_2011_03_01, Paradise Version 2.1 roms worked fine)

5*. Open Your external sd card, then remove file utscript_sd.

6*. Still in external sd card, copy file utscript.sh and paste it to get 2 instances of the same file.

7*. Rename utstcript (copy).sh to "utscript_sd".

8. Safely remove sdcard from pc, then plug it to external sd reader in your tablet.

9. Press and hold button "M", and while holding it, press and hold "Power" button. Hold them for few seconds -> You tablet should boot in upgrade mode

Don't follow this steps if You don't have NAND - if You'll do it, You just probably will have to repeat whole process again, as it will install system on both internal and external sd card.

II. UPGRADING WITH BACKPANEL REMOVAL = HARD BRICK REVIVAL GUIDE

This method was posted before somewhere on the forum, though there was no picture picture.
IT SHOULD REVIVE ANY BRICKED TABLET - method uses built-in function of dropad/haipad/herotab and a little hack which makes NAND 'invisible' for Samsung MCU,
which causes MCU to look for boot files / upgrade files in other drives - sd cards. Using healthy tablet and proper sd cards should help in most cases, and by
proper sd cards I mean ones that previously worked with tablet, or similiar, with proprely prepared data (or no data: on internal SD)

1. follow method I(0-8) for preparing external sdcard, but don't plug it in to Your tablet
2. Remove backpanel
3. Unplug internal sdcard
4. Follow method I.0 for internal sdcard
5. plug formatted internal card to internal slot, and external card to external sd slot.
6. short pin 7&8 on Your NAND (see attached image - I've used drawing pin for this task.) - You must be really careful on that, check twice if you are connecting correct pins
do it with hard power switch set to off (slider on the right side of tablet). When You are sure, switch it to "ON".
7. While shorting pins, follow step I.9
8. When Your tablet enter "upgrade mode" release shorted pins.

Notes:
My tablet was bricked 2 times - first time I was able to restore f/w with method I.
Second method revived my tablet from no booting (including I'st method), no screen backlight, no usb-seen state to fully working with genesis 3.1.1 rom 1.2 GHz (btw. this ROM bricked my tablet in both cases)

I'm not sure if restoring virtual image is actually required, but I haven't tried without using it. However it can do sth with MBR.
Theoretically, restoring image on sd card destroys previous filetype, because it removes all partitions and create other ones, so if You are restoring image, You can try without pre-formating.

In my opinion, whole thing is to force tablet to look for upgrade files on external sd, and make sdcard recognizable for tablet.

PS Also tried this method (shorting I/O pins but it's not working or I did sth wrong.

Hope there never be a reason for anybody to use this guide ;)

Attached Files

Edited by rhaziell, 17 January 2012 - 05:37 PM.

• Loonix, zoon81 and violet like this

#2 AthlonX4

AthlonX4

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

What is the difference between step 1 and step 4 ?

1. follow method I for preparing external sdcard, but don't plug it in to Your tablet

In method 1 do we complete all the steps from I(0-8) and in step 4 do we do only step I.0(0-1) ?
It also says not to plug the external card into your tablet on step 1, at what point does this external card become required ?

#3 rhaziell

rhaziell

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

What is the difference between step 1 and step 4 ?

1. follow method I for preparing external sdcard, but don't plug it in to Your tablet

In method 1 do we complete all the steps from I(0-8 ) and in step 4 do we do only step I.0(0-1) ?
It also says not to plug the external card into your tablet on step 1, at what point does this external card become required ?

Hello AthlonX4!

Answer:
method II step 1 = method I steps 0 - 8 for external sd
method II step 4 = format interal sd so there are no partitions [I.0] (and/or follow [I.1] to have FAT32 filesystem and return to device (sdcard) default settings)

method II step 5 = (just edited :p) - plug both cards and follow next steps.

External sd card after doing steps from method I(0-8 ) should have correct filesystem and files, needed to enter upgrade mode.
Internal card shouldn't have any data, probably quick format will do thing, but to be sure follow step 0 from method I to obtain RAW card (no partitions at all)

Both sd cards are required to properly install firmware. This means, You must have 2 of them in your pad before You'll follow step II.7 - 8.

Edited by rhaziell, 17 January 2012 - 05:57 PM.

#4 luizgcrodrigues

luizgcrodrigues

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro - Brazil

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:46 PM

Well, folks ... in my habit of updating my tablet, I ended up getting a hard brick. :(

It followed the whole process, the tablet comes into upgrade mode, performs all the updates, does the shutdown, but still the same: if I plug in the charger the led lights but will not boot even with the power switch or by combining power + menu. Nothing appears on the screen, nor that the initial image, nothing ...

If anyone has any more idea for me to try ... :unsure:

The impression he gives is that I somehow managed to delete some initialization code of the tablet. It only starts when I make the short pins 7 and 8.

#5 feinOD

feinOD

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2012 - 05:18 PM

Well, folks ... in my habit of updating my tablet, I ended up getting a hard brick. :(

It followed the whole process, the tablet comes into upgrade mode, performs all the updates, does the shutdown, but still the same: if I plug in the charger the led lights but will not boot even with the power switch or by combining power + menu. Nothing appears on the screen, nor that the initial image, nothing ...

If anyone has any more idea for me to try ... :unsure:

The impression he gives is that I somehow managed to delete some initialization code of the tablet. It only starts when I make the short pins 7 and 8.

I have same problem. I tried to flash my Dropad a8 with Genesis 3.0.2.1.1. Everything looks just fine, but after shotdown, on display was "Upgrading system activated". Upgrading process every time repeats again. May be it happened because i copied everything to sd card ( without using winimage).

#6 rhaziell

rhaziell

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 07:59 PM

@feinOD Welcome to the forum :)

Try following whole procedure (with winimage) and updating with stock rom.

#7 jikjoh

jikjoh

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 01:58 AM

i have broken pin 8 and 7, now, what i need to do please!

#8 rhaziell

rhaziell

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:02 AM

First of all, don't panic. Your tablet should work without NAND too.

Probably U can't replace NAND, so to get it back to life You can permanently short 7 & 8 pin pads (at You own risk, as everything in this guide), and then follow procedure as if there was no NAND in Your tablet.

Of course You can also give tablet to sb who knows soldering well, try to de-solder it instead of shorting pins, OR get another NAND (maybe there will be matching replacement chip in some pendrives etc. but this will require A LOT of searching) and solder it in place of previous one. If U know someone pro in soldering, maybe she/he will be able to repair broken pins.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for You. Good luck Mate.

Edited by rhaziell, 04 February 2012 - 10:08 AM.

#9 tolga

tolga

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 10:57 AM

thanks lets try

#10 pollo

pollo

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:44 PM

how to format to raw in Ubuntu? my tablet only show update mode and turn off immediately, if I don't short the pin doesn't appear the android and the text upgrade mode

tnx

#11 RigoHoward

RigoHoward

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

Hi i tried your mnethod but the screen nevers turn on :(

#12 sumanx

sumanx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:02 AM

I tried this method, but after the Upgrade System is activated, it says 'Can not find any update image'. Please help..

#13 Diegolgo

Diegolgo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 07:26 PM

I tried this method, but after the Upgrade System is activated, it says 'Can not find any update image'. Please help..

i have the same problem
after months i' finally get the image of an android, but never boot...
only say can not find any update image...

i try very diferents firmwares, genesis, stock, bla bla bla

only turn on, and nothing more... (but i suspect there my tablet not enter to upgrade mode, because onlye pressing power button say the same)
is any other way to force upgrade mode?
thanks! your give hope!
jajajja

#14 sumanx

sumanx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:09 AM

i have the same problem
after months i' finally get the image of an android, but never boot...
only say can not find any update image...

i try very diferents firmwares, genesis, stock, bla bla bla

only turn on, and nothing more... (but i suspect there my tablet not enter to upgrade mode, because onlye pressing power button say the same)
is any other way to force upgrade mode?
thanks! your give hope!
jajajja

I solved the problem. If you're getting the android screen, your tablet is not bricked. Here's what you can do:

1. Format your external SD card with HP USB tool. Make sure you uncheck quick format. Then flash as USUAL, don't try this method.
2. If this doesn't work, try another external SD card and format with HP USB Format tool. Then, flash as USUAL. (This worked for me)

If the 2nd method, try (yet) another Ext SD.

#15 Diegolgo

Diegolgo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

I solved the problem. If you're getting the android screen, your tablet is not bricked. Here's what you can do:

1. Format your external SD card with HP USB tool. Make sure you uncheck quick format. Then flash as USUAL, don't try this method.
2. If this doesn't work, try another external SD card and format with HP USB Format tool. Then, flash as USUAL. (This worked for me)

If the 2nd method, try (yet) another Ext SD.

thanks, i try that already
if i don't do the pin 7 & 8 thing, my tablet do nothing
(the only reason keep me trying is because when i connect the AC plug, the light change from green to red pressing buttons, etc)

if i change the SD from external to internal, o take out one of them, my tablet es death black, and not react to anything. this is why i thing the partition and format is right, but dont "take" de firmware
i keep trying another firmwares... (some times i think ... Sd internal corrupt? ... maybe? ....)

a couple of month ago y buy another SD 4gb kindstone and dont do anything. now whit the memory of my phone, this procedure give me hope.

i dont give up! thanks, ig any body have some idea, please let me now.

#16 sumanx

sumanx

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:48 AM

Try formatting the whole internal SD card to RAW??

Also forgot to mention the upgrade loop occurs when you use a 1GHZ u-boot.bin file, when your tab supports 1.2Ghz one

Edited by sumanx, 12 April 2012 - 11:51 AM.

#17 Diegolgo

Diegolgo

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 12:39 PM

Try formatting the whole internal SD card to RAW??

Also forgot to mention the upgrade loop occurs when you use a 1GHZ u-boot.bin file, when your tab supports 1.2Ghz one

thanks already try formatting internal sd to a RAW (eliminate all partitions) and is the same, only turn on until green android say it the same...

my tablet stock 1ghz, "support" you say if is capable? because i never try that. but thanks, is a new idea bootin with another one. i try it tonight

#18 zoon81

zoon81

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 11:52 AM

Hello Everyone!

Since I've spent 2 days and nights on trying to recovery my Dropad A8i, I would like to share with my experiences.
(Almost all the knowledge about this specific topic comes from this forum, and credits go to many. I've read all the posts on that matter,
and everyone who at least tried any method posted somewhere here have his own contribution)

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR ACTIONS AND USE OF THIS GUIDE!

REQUIREMENTS:
- internal microsd card,
- external microsd card,
- tablet with NAND.
(My Dropad A8 have on-board NAND memory and dual sdcard slots (internal & external), so I cant be sure if this guide will work for NAND only phones.)

RESOURCES:
* HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - http://files.extreme.../file.php?f=197
* HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool - http://hddguru.com/s...el-Format-Tool/
* ALMOST ALL ROMS - http://www.flanesi.i...e-disponibili/#
* WinImage - http://www.winimage.com/download.htm

I. UPGRADING WITHOUT REMOVING BACKPANEL
0. (optional: You can skip this step if You can do step 1. with no errors)
- format you external sd with "HDD LLF Low Level Format Tool": this will delete all partitions on Your sd card, and format it to RAW.

1. Format external sd_card with "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool":
- set Your device, filesystem: FAT32, uncheck any other option, start formating (this will take a while, like > 30 min for 8gb)

2. Open WinImage -> Disk -> Restore Virtual Hard Disk image on physical drive... -> select Your sd_card -> select rom image: either with .mm extension or .vhd extension.
(Images are located in main dir of rom; I've found only two different files: "INand_mm_sd_mbr.vhd", and "u-boot-sd.bin.mid703v3.mm" - both worked for me)
- if You'll get errors like "Can't write to drive.. etc", remount sdcard reader to other usb slot and then try again. If that won't help, restart the system and try again.

3. After restoring image, unplug & plug sdcard reader, windows should automatically recognize it and prompt to format; don't do that, instead
open Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Storage->Disk Management.
- Select largest partition (ie. 2.93 GB) - if You are using > 4 GB card then there probably will be some unallocated space; leave that as it is.
- format selected partition to FAT32 (I think it worked for me with quick formating, but don't beat me if I'm wrong)
(this step is important, because we need PROPERLY FORMATTED partition to be recognized by device - note that this is the last format on sd card;
You could probably skip step 1 and 2, but I haven't tried that)

4. Copy one roms to previously formatted partition.
- try to use rom with erasing NAND in script - which is probably crucial for hard bricked tablets, for others default ROM should work fine)
- all Prox32 roms I've tested had this procedure
(You can check if rom have this option, by viewing utscript.sh and searching line "erasing NAND" or sth. like that in Prox32 roms, however other roms may have this instruction and no such text, as it only output for lcd)
(in my case Evolution 2 R6, M7_20111010, HerotabC8_V2.2_2011_03_01, Paradise Version 2.1 roms worked fine)

5*. Open Your external sd card, then remove file utscript_sd.

6*. Still in external sd card, copy file utscript.sh and paste it to get 2 instances of the same file.

7*. Rename utstcript (copy).sh to "utscript_sd".

8. Safely remove sdcard from pc, then plug it to external sd reader in your tablet.

9. Press and hold button "M", and while holding it, press and hold "Power" button. Hold them for few seconds -> You tablet should boot in upgrade mode

Don't follow this steps if You don't have NAND - if You'll do it, You just probably will have to repeat whole process again, as it will install system on both internal and external sd card.

II. UPGRADING WITH BACKPANEL REMOVAL = HARD BRICK REVIVAL GUIDE

This method was posted before somewhere on the forum, though there was no picture picture.
IT SHOULD REVIVE ANY BRICKED TABLET - method uses built-in function of dropad/haipad/herotab and a little hack which makes NAND 'invisible' for Samsung MCU,
which causes MCU to look for boot files / upgrade files in other drives - sd cards. Using healthy tablet and proper sd cards should help in most cases, and by
proper sd cards I mean ones that previously worked with tablet, or similiar, with proprely prepared data (or no data: on internal SD)

1. follow method I(0-8) for preparing external sdcard, but don't plug it in to Your tablet
2. Remove backpanel
3. Unplug internal sdcard
5. plug formatted internal card to internal slot, and external card to external sd slot.
6. short pin 7&8 on Your NAND (see attached image - I've used drawing pin for this task.) - You must be really careful on that, check twice if you are connecting correct pins
do it with hard power switch set to off (slider on the right side of tablet). When You are sure, switch it to "ON".
7. While shorting pins, follow step I.9
8. When Your tablet enter "upgrade mode" release shorted pins.

Notes:
My tablet was bricked 2 times - first time I was able to restore f/w with method I.
Second method revived my tablet from no booting (including I'st method), no screen backlight, no usb-seen state to fully working with genesis 3.1.1 rom 1.2 GHz (btw. this ROM bricked my tablet in both cases)

I'm not sure if restoring virtual image is actually required, but I haven't tried without using it. However it can do sth with MBR.
Theoretically, restoring image on sd card destroys previous filetype, because it removes all partitions and create other ones, so if You are restoring image, You can try without pre-formating.

In my opinion, whole thing is to force tablet to look for upgrade files on external sd, and make sdcard recognizable for tablet.

PS Also tried this method (shorting I/O pins but it's not working or I did sth wrong.

Hope there never be a reason for anybody to use this guide ;)

First of all! RESPECT for your post!!!My tablet was died about 2 week,and now working fine.
Thanks!

#19 Do all Tech

Do all Tech

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:18 PM

I have a Dropad A8 "othello" with the NAND chip. If I use the u-boot-sd.bin.mid703v3.mm to format my chip (ext) and ue that entire ROM it came with ( the only one I get any bootable response to) it appears to go through the update (reload?) process and shuts down. but when I remove the ext SD card and reboot I get a "cannot find any update image" message and can only back out of the upgrade process. Its not taking the ROM. I bricked it by originally putting an "updatter" download on the internal SD card and running the update. cant unbrick. No other ROMS (I have tried) can get it to boot or run. ~Help!

#20 sltdummy

sltdummy

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:21 AM

hello,
i do have same problem w/ my slate. A hard brick.
i did follow the instructions, its working, and so far the screen still on "upgrade system activated" mode.
i have no idea how long will it take. any idea?

thanks,

sltdummy