#1 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:24 PM

So my supplier convinced me to get a sample unit of the Teclast P76ti. I just got it in the mail today.

I have been using it for about an hour... here are my thoughts.

PROs:
1. Noticeably Better WiFi signal. Like on the order of 10 or 15 feet and seemingly a bit more reliable but I haven't used it enough to know yet...

2. Slightly louder speakers - The N7A speakers can be a bit quiet. This device is a little louder. It is enough to be noticeable but that is all that can be said. It is still a little quiet compared to some other tablets.

3. Size - Almost identical in Size to the Novo 7A. Fits in the N7A case perfectly.

4. Build Quality - It does look a little cheaper... The N7A is significantly "sexier". But honestly it feels a bit sturdier than the N7A. I would be WAY LESS WORRIED about dropping this device. No "creaking" when I squeeze on the sides and no "screen warbling" when I tap hard on the back.

5. Smooth performance - The A10 seems to perform identically in this device to the N7A. In fact, it may feel a bit smoother/responsive? But then again it might just be because it is a new device and I just have that warm tingly "new device feeling" and it is in fact in my head.

6. PRICE! - Biggest pro - this thing is significantly cheaper than the N7A... Like on the order of $20 - $30 cheaper.

7. Capacitive Screen - I just thought I would point this out specifically... This is the "ti" variant which means it has a capacitive touch screen, just like the N7A, and not an inferior resistive touch. The screen is plenty sensitive.

8. HDMI out - works perfectly out of the box.

MOOT - (neither good nor bad or just a mix of both...)

1. Front Camera - it seems a as good as or perhaps a little better than the N7A front cam. Like I said, not really all that big of a deal...

2. Recessed Screen - Some may consider this a con... I consider it a "mix"... Why? Well... yes, the screen is slightly harder to use around the edges. It doesn't really bother me, but I know some folks don't like it at all. It is similar to the "nook" in this regard (I am pretty sure the nook color also has a recessed screen. Someone can correct me on that if I am wrong). So, that was all "con" right... yeah... but guess what my #1 issue is with the N7A... Customer's who crack the screen or... more specifically, the touch screen. How is it usually broken??? By dropping the device. Guess what, a recessed screen is going to be much less prone to breakage from dropping. So, yeah, less sensitive, but, if you are trying to choose a device for a kid, you may want to take this into consideration.

3. My scripts all work on it just like they do on the N7A. I haven't tinkered with the build.prop yet though.

4. No vibration/haptic feedback - None that I have found yet at least... Some people like this, some hate it, I am mostly indifferent

CONS

1. First order of frustration... They didn't send me a USB Host cable. I am not sure if this was a mistake or this is how Teclast just ships it but it is annoying to say the least because...

2. Non-Standard USB connection - Yeah... well... it is actually just a different "standard". It is a "micro" USB port, instead of a "mini" USB port. The "mini" port is used by the N7A and most other tablets I have seen. The "micro" is used more in Cell phones. And it is annoying because I have accessories that plug into a "mini" (like an extra host cable) but NOT a "micro." Can't we all just settle on one thing and keep it that way? See image here for reference: http://www.powerlet....-vs-miniusb.jpg

3. No charging port... YEP! I was very surprised. Charge by USB ONLY. And by default it only comes with a data cable. I will also be including a USB/Wall Charger adapter. I am not to upset by this personally but it is kind of annoying as it may charge slower. With that being said... the battery endurance might be better because of the slower charge. So, the battery won't wear out as quickly over time. Still though, I like have more options....

4. Button arrangement - First - No volume controls except in the OS. This is something I see on a lot of Rockchip devices. It is rather annoying as you rely upon the android soft keys to control volume. I guess it won't be such a big deal when ICS comes and you are STUCK with that permanent notification bar at the bottom that has the controls on it. Second... they put the "home" key on the front face and the "back key" up top... So annoying. I use the back key much much more often than the "home key". The "back" key should be front and center and the home key should be up top. At least they do have physical keys for "back" and "home" and "menu." So I do give them props for that.

5. Battery Size- I haven't tested it yet so I don't know how much of a difference it is going to make in the "real" world. But, the battery on this device is 3200 mAh. That is either 300 or 800 LESS than the N7A. I am not sure which because I have seen the N7A advertised with both a 4000mAh and a 3500mAh battery. Anyhow. I am going to fully charge both devices tonight, tomorrow I will then turn on WiFi and open up BN Nook at full brightness with sleep not allowed on both device. I will let them both run and see which one keels over first and how much longer the other one lasts.

6. No Back camera... something I don't really care about but "less" features are always a con :)

FINAL THOUGHTS: For the price you can't go wrong. You get a capacitive touch device with the same performance as the Novo 7 Advanced. So all your gaming and video playback is going to be just as good. It has HDMI out as well and it works very well. I am guessing that using N7A firmware would probably be good as well, but honestly I am not sure if I would want to right now as I find the WiFi on this device to be working well and I wouldn't want to mess that up.

Considering that the N7A "MAY" be going the way of the Dodo bird... (although my supplier still tells me they are getting more in stock in late January?) this might be your best option for a device for those who are still wanting the N7A but can't find it. I have a few left in stock but once those are gone I am not sure if I will be getting more. It just depends if my supplier really does get more come January.

I am fairly certain that N7A firmware will work on this device without issue. Eventually I will have to test it. What that means is that when the N7A gets a stable ICS release, you will definitely have a stable ICS release on this.

The only thing that remains to be seen for me is the battery life. If it is significantly less that would be the BIG con in my opinion. Oh, I will be talking with my supplier tonight. If/when I start selling these, they will all include wall-to-usb charger adapters and USB Host Cables by default. Those things SHOULD be standard with any device.

Cheers,

Roman

http://www.topnotchtablets.com

Edited by Roman2025, 03 January 2012 - 03:25 PM.

www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#2 murphy666

murphy666

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 03:42 PM

Roman, I don't think the firmware of the Novo 7 Advanced will work as-is on this device.

This depend on the touchscreen controller, Installed Sensors and the WIFI device, I can clearly see this with the Onda ICS 0.4 release, the firmware does not work on Novo 7 Advanced without modifications.

Also those modifications are harder than before because the root partition have changed completely (it's directly embedded in the linux/android kernel (initramfs).

#3 Dansplans

Dansplans

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 245 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:26 PM

So my supplier convinced me to get a sample unit of the Teclast P76ti. I just got it in the mail today.

I have been using it for about an hour... here are my thoughts.

PROs:
1. Noticeably Better WiFi signal. Like on the order of 10 or 15 feet and seemingly a bit more reliable but I haven't used it enough to know yet...

2. Slightly louder speakers - The N7A speakers can be a bit quiet. This device is a little louder. It is enough to be noticeable but that is all that can be said. It is still a little quiet compared to some other tablets.

3. Size - Almost identical in Size to the Novo 7A. Fits in the N7A case perfectly.

4. Build Quality - It does look a little cheaper... The N7A is significantly "sexier". But honestly it feels a bit sturdier than the N7A. I would be WAY LESS WORRIED about dropping this device. No "creaking" when I squeeze on the sides and no "screen warbling" when I tap hard on the back.

5. Smooth performance - The A10 seems to perform identically in this device to the N7A. In fact, it may feel a bit smoother/responsive? But then again it might just be because it is a new device and I just have that warm tingly "new device feeling" and it is in fact in my head.

6. PRICE! - Biggest pro - this thing is significantly cheaper than the N7A... Like on the order of $20 - $30 cheaper.

7. Capacitive Screen - I just thought I would point this out specifically... This is the "ti" variant which means it has a capacitive touch screen, just like the N7A, and not an inferior resistive touch. The screen is plenty sensitive.

8. HDMI out - works perfectly out of the box.

MOOT - (neither good nor bad or just a mix of both...)

1. Front Camera - it seems a as good as or perhaps a little better than the N7A front cam. Like I said, not really all that big of a deal...

2. Recessed Screen - Some may consider this a con... I consider it a "mix"... Why? Well... yes, the screen is slightly harder to use around the edges. It doesn't really bother me, but I know some folks don't like it at all. It is similar to the "nook" in this regard (I am pretty sure the nook color also has a recessed screen. Someone can correct me on that if I am wrong). So, that was all "con" right... yeah... but guess what my #1 issue is with the N7A... Customer's who crack the screen or... more specifically, the touch screen. How is it usually broken??? By dropping the device. Guess what, a recessed screen is going to be much less prone to breakage from dropping. So, yeah, less sensitive, but, if you are trying to choose a device for a kid, you may want to take this into consideration.

3. My scripts all work on it just like they do on the N7A. I haven't tinkered with the build.prop yet though.

4. No vibration/haptic feedback - None that I have found yet at least... Some people like this, some hate it, I am mostly indifferent

CONS

1. First order of frustration... They didn't send me a USB Host cable. I am not sure if this was a mistake or this is how Teclast just ships it but it is annoying to say the least because...

2. Non-Standard USB connection - Yeah... well... it is actually just a different "standard". It is a "micro" USB port, instead of a "mini" USB port. The "mini" port is used by the N7A and most other tablets I have seen. The "micro" is used more in Cell phones. And it is annoying because I have accessories that plug into a "mini" (like an extra host cable) but NOT a "micro." Can't we all just settle on one thing and keep it that way? See image here for reference: http://www.powerlet....-vs-miniusb.jpg

3. No charging port... YEP! I was very surprised. Charge by USB ONLY. And by default it only comes with a data cable. I will also be including a USB/Wall Charger adapter. I am not to upset by this personally but it is kind of annoying as it may charge slower. With that being said... the battery endurance might be better because of the slower charge. So, the battery won't wear out as quickly over time. Still though, I like have more options....

4. Button arrangement - First - No volume controls except in the OS. This is something I see on a lot of Rockchip devices. It is rather annoying as you rely upon the android soft keys to control volume. I guess it won't be such a big deal when ICS comes and you are STUCK with that permanent notification bar at the bottom that has the controls on it. Second... they put the "home" key on the front face and the "back key" up top... So annoying. I use the back key much much more often than the "home key". The "back" key should be front and center and the home key should be up top. At least they do have physical keys for "back" and "home" and "menu." So I do give them props for that.

5. Battery Size- I haven't tested it yet so I don't know how much of a difference it is going to make in the "real" world. But, the battery on this device is 3200 mAh. That is either 300 or 800 LESS than the N7A. I am not sure which because I have seen the N7A advertised with both a 4000mAh and a 3500mAh battery. Anyhow. I am going to fully charge both devices tonight, tomorrow I will then turn on WiFi and open up BN Nook at full brightness with sleep not allowed on both device. I will let them both run and see which one keels over first and how much longer the other one lasts.

6. No Back camera... something I don't really care about but "less" features are always a con :)

FINAL THOUGHTS: For the price you can't go wrong. You get a capacitive touch device with the same performance as the Novo 7 Advanced. So all your gaming and video playback is going to be just as good. It has HDMI out as well and it works very well. I am guessing that using N7A firmware would probably be good as well, but honestly I am not sure if I would want to right now as I find the WiFi on this device to be working well and I wouldn't want to mess that up.

Considering that the N7A "MAY" be going the way of the Dodo bird... (although my supplier still tells me they are getting more in stock in late January?) this might be your best option for a device for those who are still wanting the N7A but can't find it. I have a few left in stock but once those are gone I am not sure if I will be getting more. It just depends if my supplier really does get more come January.

I am fairly certain that N7A firmware will work on this device without issue. Eventually I will have to test it. What that means is that when the N7A gets a stable ICS release, you will definitely have a stable ICS release on this.

The only thing that remains to be seen for me is the battery life. If it is significantly less that would be the BIG con in my opinion. Oh, I will be talking with my supplier tonight. If/when I start selling these, they will all include wall-to-usb charger adapters and USB Host Cables by default. Those things SHOULD be standard with any device.

Cheers,

Roman

http://www.topnotchtablets.com

I bought this, before they added the 5 point screen, for a 10 year old. It came with both the OTD and USB charging cable as well as wall outlet and earplugs.

I can tell you that the battery life seems to be significantly less than the N7A. I look forward to your test results.

The 2 real cons that I have found are:

a) the market just won't work right for me, no matter how many different releases I try. Apps download but fail on install. Been sideloading everything. Haven't tried Skype yet.

B) I haven't figured out how to get this thing to flash a new rom. 2.0 firmware is available, which I assume matches N7A 2.0. I get the infamous adb not recognized as either internal or external command, though it works fine on N7A. Maybe I need a different release version?

Let me know if you manage to change ROMs on this thing. I'm sure my market problem would be fixed with a new ROM so it is kinda one problem.

Edited by Dansplans, 03 January 2012 - 04:27 PM.

AndroidTabletFirmware.com
FlashMyAndroid.com

Ainol Novo 7 Advanced
Ainol Novo 7 Advanced II
OEM Novo 7 Advanced
Ainol Novo 7 Elf
Ainol Novo 7 Aurora
Teclast P76
C91 Zepad
Onda Vi10 Elite Elf
Ampe A90

#4 inakigarm

inakigarm

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 04:36 PM

Great test Roman!!!

#5 planetbill

planetbill

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:36 PM

Roman, I have a P76ti as well as a N7A, careful, your one script with the button changes messed up my P76ti. I had to reflash it. I'm not running 4.0.

I like both tabs, but like the N7A more. I think battery life is significantly better with the Novo.

The screen feels different on the P76ti, not smooth. I would really like the rocker button to work like the N7A.

Sent from my Novo 7 Advanced using Tapatalk.

Edited by planetbill, 03 January 2012 - 05:57 PM.

#6 chancelucky

chancelucky

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 06:47 PM

Roman,
thanks for the update re the Teclast.

Micro-USB is the successor to Mini-USB. Mini USB has a life cycle of 5,000 connections/disconnections
Micro has a life expectancy of 10,000. Anyway, it's part of why I had such a hard time finding a US source for a mini to regular USB adapter with OTG capability, not that micro is all that much easier.

Newer tablets should be shipping with micro. Personally, I don't see why they aren't shipping with standard USB (much less hassle). None of the Chinese tablets are so thin that a standard USB port wouldn't fit on the case, though they may take up a bit more space on the board since the volume of the connector goes past the wall of the case.

The other issue with USB charging only is that there are occasions where you want to charge the tablet and use a second USB device. I've been thinking about seeing if I can get a USB DAC to work with the USB port and using my Ainol as the front end of a digital music system in my home stereo. No moving parts, nice screen for sorting albums...

As these things get below 150/delivered, they're pretty amazing devices for the cost of a very nice dinner for 3 in a restaurant. I would pay fifty bucks more if they would add "phaser" as one of the features, even if you only get "stun".

#7 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:49 PM

Roman, I don't think the firmware of the Novo 7 Advanced will work as-is on this device.

This depend on the touchscreen controller, Installed Sensors and the WIFI device, I can clearly see this with the Onda ICS 0.4 release, the firmware does not work on Novo 7 Advanced without modifications.

Also those modifications are harder than before because the root partition have changed completely (it's directly embedded in the linux/android kernel (initramfs).

Crap :( lol. The one good thing I can say is that at least they have a very good copy of 2.3 running. Wifi has been stable all with no loss in signal strength. I was hoping the two platforms would be more or less identical though :(.

-Roman
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#8 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:52 PM

The other issue with USB charging only is that there are occasions where you want to charge the tablet and use a second USB device. I've been thinking about seeing if I can get a USB DAC to work with the USB port and using my Ainol as the front end of a digital music system in my home stereo. No moving parts, nice screen for sorting albums...

As these things get below 150/delivered, they're pretty amazing devices for the cost of a very nice dinner for 3 in a restaurant. I would pay fifty bucks more if they would add "phaser" as one of the features, even if you only get "stun".

Very good point about using USB and Charging at the same time! Hadn't thought about it. I had a Ramos W3HD and it had a USB Host adapter that also had a "charge port" wire that came out. So you could charge the device via the USB port and use the Host adapter at the same time. I wonder if something similar would work for this device?

... Yeah, a "phaser" would be nice :). I would be happy with an Infra-Red emitter and like a $5 Android app that turns your device into a killer universal remote :) lol

-Roman

-Ayn Rand

#9 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 03 January 2012 - 09:57 PM

Roman, I have a P76ti as well as a N7A, careful, your one script with the button changes messed up my P76ti. I had to reflash it. I'm not running 4.0.

I like both tabs, but like the N7A more. I think battery life is significantly better with the Novo.

The screen feels different on the P76ti, not smooth. I would really like the rocker button to work like the N7A.

Sent from my Novo 7 Advanced using Tapatalk.

Thanks for the heads up! I have actually since changed that script so that it doesn't modify the notification bar anymore. I haven't updated the copy on my website yet though. Apparently, that notification bar was causing all kinds of issues on newer Novo 7A firmwares... particularly with HDMI out.

In regards to the screen. I actually find mine to be really "smooth" or slick I guess I should say... Kind of like a new deck of playing cards. I actually like it and almost commented on it but decided not to as I know those kinds of things can change after a day or two of use. I will keep it in mind though as I continue to test. The battery life thing is still my big issue though. I do like the Novo 7A better also, but there are aspects of the Teclast that are commendable. Particularly the (apparent but not tested) durability and (so far at least...) the rock solid WiFi. Obviously the price is nice too :).

-Roman

-Ayn Rand

#10 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:04 PM

I bought this, before they added the 5 point screen, for a 10 year old. It came with both the OTD and USB charging cable as well as wall outlet and earplugs.

I can tell you that the battery life seems to be significantly less than the N7A. I look forward to your test results.

The 2 real cons that I have found are:

a) the market just won't work right for me, no matter how many different releases I try. Apps download but fail on install. Been sideloading everything. Haven't tried Skype yet.

B) I haven't figured out how to get this thing to flash a new rom. 2.0 firmware is available, which I assume matches N7A 2.0. I get the infamous adb not recognized as either internal or external command, though it works fine on N7A. Maybe I need a different release version?

Let me know if you manage to change ROMs on this thing. I'm sure my market problem would be fixed with a new ROM so it is kinda one problem.

Battery is my one nagging concern really. I also look forward to the test results :). I figured a simple endurance test where I don't have to watch them both for the first 4 hours would be good so just leaving Nook open on high brightness and wifi on seemed like a simple enough benchmark. I will probably use Elixir 2 for actual run times.

You got all the accessories :). It sounds like a very different tablet though? Mine came with the market out of the box and it worked well. It was the older version of the market though and I used my script to update it. It has worked really well as I have downloaded and installed like 15 apps now. Does your's have a round DC-in Charge port that is just for charging?

ADB has worked fine with my device. I haven't tried flashing anything yet. But running scripts using ADB commands has worked no problem. I am using the PDA net driver that you can get via googling for it or you can get it pre-packaged in my netflix fix script here: http://www.topnotcht...vo7A-NetflixFix

Perhaps that will work for you?

Kind Regards,

Roman

P.S. - I think I just replied to EVERY POST... Victory Dance :yahoo::) lol

Edited by Roman2025, 03 January 2012 - 10:05 PM.

-Ayn Rand

#11 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 03 January 2012 - 10:05 PM

Great test Roman!!!

Thanks!

ps.... now I have replied to every post... ;)

-Ayn Rand

#12 tech7

tech7

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:13 PM

That was a nice quick write-up on the P76ti. Which firmware version is your sample running on? I assume all the manufacturers use the same notation as Ainol?

Have you received your Bmorn V11 sample yet to test?

#13 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:22 AM

That was a nice quick write-up on the P76ti. Which firmware version is your sample running on? I assume all the manufacturers use the same notation as Ainol?

Have you received your Bmorn V11 sample yet to test?

I have not gotten a V11 sample yet. I am pursuing the V99 primarily right now from bMorn and I am thinking about putting the V11 on the backburner as the pricing for it is not much different then the Novo 7 Advanced. It just depends on what kind of pricing I can negotiate. If I can get a decent deal direct from bMorn then it will make a lot of sense. If I have to get it through my other supplier as an intermediary then it brings the price up close to the Novo 7 Advanced. The two devices are very similar, and the price is very similar.

The Teclast P76ti differentiates itself on price significantly and the look of the device is actually starting to grow on me. I have been using the device all day today and it actually feels pretty good to hold and use. I think I am going to promote it as the "safer for kids" :) device because it feels like it could survive a fall or two without breaking. Everything has been "super stable", no crashes, freezes, etc. No wifi dropping. I am fairly pleased overall. I do need to do a build.prop mod as I can't test any Gameloft games. They all say the device isn't compatible (typical) but once the build.prop is modded it shouldn't be an issue. Then I can test to see if their firmware actually handles gameloft stuff any better than the current NOVO 7A stuff does.

The Onda VI40 is also another option that is strongly on my Radar right now. :)

As far as the Teclast Firmware goes... According to the "about device" screen in system info - Baseband version: 3.03 and Kernel Version: 2.6.36

Cheers,

Roman

EDIT: My real concern about the bMorn V99 and Onda Vi40 is the pricing. I know they are a LOT OF DEVICE for the money. I mean an A10 processor, 1GB of DDR3, 8Gb of storage, and 9.7" IPS Hi-Def displays all running Android 4.0... all of that rocks. But on the other hand, I am not sure what kind of market there is for a device that could possibly cost around $250ish shipped. It is the whole "value proposition" issue. Once you get past that magical $200 mark it gets a LOT harder to sell China brand tablets from a website. People can't play with the thing before buying. I WELCOME FEEDBACK on this topic! I would love to get some thoughts about what people thing about the "sellability" of a $250ish China Tab considering what is currently available across the spectrum. Cheers and thanks ahead of time for the help!

Edited by Roman2025, 04 January 2012 - 01:29 AM.

-Ayn Rand

#14 raul

raul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:43 AM

Have you considered the Gemei G2 which has nearly the same specs as the Novo Advanced. It seems to be similar to to the Novo A but has 1GB ram, and the ICS beta on youtube seems to be super smooth, it is also more reasonably priced.

Edited by raul, 04 January 2012 - 01:44 AM.

#15 lordsbm

lordsbm

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 01:45 AM

EDIT: My real concern about the bMorn V99 and Onda Vi40 is the pricing. I know they are a LOT OF DEVICE for the money. I mean am A10 processor, 1GB of DDR3, 8Gb of storage, and 9.7" IPS Hi-Def displays all running Android 4.0... all of that rocks. But on the other hand, I am not sure what kind of Market there is for a device that could possibly cost around $250ish shipped. It is the whole "value proposition" issue. Once you get past that magical $200 mark it gets a LOT hard to sell tablets from a Website. People can't play with the thing before buying. I WELCOME FEEDBACK on this topic! I would love to get some thoughts about what people thing about the "sellability" of a $250ish China Tab considering what is currently available across the spectrum. Cheers and thanks ahead of time for the help!

Vi40 Elite preorder on Taobao alone is over 1000 pieces. Either we'll see the 1st China tablet success in 2012 or the 1st mass return of 2012.

One of the main reason why Vi40E is getting so much attention is due to the 1GB RAM. Bmorn V99 killed itself with 512MB RAM release. So how big a difference? Look at youtube video of Gemei G2 (7" A10 1GB RAM), I'd posted a few videos of it. I find it running much more smoother.

The other reason is 400 lumens IPS screen, which is higher than other 999 RMB tablet. Teclast A10 is 200 lumens, I believe it's the same for Momo11. Ten2/Ten2+ is 300 lumens I think, which is the same screen as U9GT2 & N90 which are sold at higher price. However, this is the advertised specs, it could change on actual product. It happened before (like V99 & M19), it can happen again.

Then there's also the weight which is advertised at 600g. This is pretty light for a 9.7" China tablet. Momo11 is advertised as 550g, which I may prove it wrong when I get my set, which is still in shipping process -_-

There's still the upcoming Ten3 which uses same TI OMAP4 chip set as Kindle fire, also RK30xx is coming out. I'm waiting for normal 7" capacitive screen tablet to drop to 399 RMB, which is possible as Cube U8GT is now around 450 RMB. Since 1024x??? resolution like Ramos W6HD & Teclast P81HD can be gotten for 699 RMB. 9.7" IPS are now 999 RMB, I would expect 7" IPS to be 799-850 RMB, which can happen anytime soon.

Back to Vi40 Elite, I would wait for reviews before, getting it. There's just too much hype for it. The 1st batch could be a rush job trying to cope with all the pre-orders. It was supposed to be out before the New Year, but on 24-25th Dec China sellers announced that they will only get stocks in 15 days time. On 28th Dec they announced again that stocks will only come in 20 days time. There could be too much orders^^;

#16 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:28 AM

Vi40 Elite preorder on Taobao alone is over 1000 pieces. Either we'll see the 1st China tablet success in 2012 or the 1st mass return of 2012.

One of the main reason why Vi40E is getting so much attention is due to the 1GB RAM. Bmorn V99 killed itself with 512MB RAM release. So how big a difference? Look at youtube video of Gemei G2 (7" A10 1GB RAM), I'd posted a few videos of it. I find it running much more smoother.

Back to Vi40 Elite, I would wait for reviews before, getting it. There's just too much hype for it. The 1st batch could be a rush job trying to cope with all the pre-orders. It was supposed to be out before the New Year, but on 24-25th Dec China sellers announced that they will only get stocks in 15 days time. On 28th Dec they announced again that stocks will only come in 20 days time. There could be too much orders^^;

LOL at the first line :)

Thanks for the valuable and detailed feedback!

I need to double check on the V99. I was under the impression it was also touting 1 GB of DDR3.
EDIT: I double checked... :( sad day... Their specs are 512 MB

Gemei I have not heard of but they sound interesting! I can ask my supplier about getting me one.

I am very hesitant to buy any device that is going to have to sell around the $250 range. You get up that high and it better be one heck of China Tab because otherwise people are really spooked by the price. My supplier tells me they can get me a Vi40 though but not until after the first week of February. I was more or less burned on the Meiying Phantom M11. I got the 800x600 version and the price was way high so it hardly sold at all. It is a really nice device but the price was just too high vs the specs. I learned my lesson and have since focused on the lower priced market as long as performance is decent and build quality and battery life are good. That is part of the reason I am afraid to jump on some of these rather nice looking 9.7" options.

Cheers and thanks!

Roman

Edited by Roman2025, 04 January 2012 - 02:34 AM.

-Ayn Rand

#17 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:41 AM

Have you considered the Gemei G2 which has nearly the same specs as the Novo Advanced. It seems to be similar to to the Novo A but has 1GB ram, and the ICS beta on youtube seems to be super smooth, it is also more reasonably priced.

I looked at some of Lordsbm videos on youtube of the G2. Performance looks good. But I do have one question... How is build quality? It looks like the same/similar design as the Wopad I7. I was/am really NOT a fan of the Wopad I7 build. The more I used it, the more I hated it as it was cheap garbage which was a real shame considering the fact that the tablet was really nice otherwise.

So... is the G2 really sturdy? Does it come apart easily or does it feel solid? I am really curious as the specs are nice on the device. But, I anytime I see a device now with that "surfboard aluminum back" I worry a bit :). I know... the iPad has the same design. So I know it can be done well. But any Gemei G2 users thoughts on this topic are welcome. Especially from those folks who have used several different devices.

Thanks!

Roman

-Ayn Rand

#18 lordsbm

lordsbm

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 02:55 AM

LOL at the first line :)

Thanks for the valuable and detailed feedback!

I need to double check on the V99. I was under the impression it was also touting 1 GB of DDR3.
EDIT: I double checked... :( sad day... Their specs are 512 MB

Gemei I have not heard of but they sound interesting! I can ask my supplier about getting me one.

I am very hesitant to buy any device that is going to have to sell around the $250 range. You get up that high and it better be one heck of China Tab because otherwise people are really spooked by the price. My supplier tells me they can get me a Vi40 though but not until after the first week of February. I was more or less burned on the Meiying Phantom M11. I got the 800x600 version and the price was way high so it hardly sold at all. It is a really nice device but the price was just too high vs the specs. I learned my lesson and have since focused on the lower priced market as long as performance is decent and build quality and battery life are good. That is part of the reason I am afraid to jump on some of these rather nice looking 9.7" options.

Cheers and thanks!

Roman

These are just my views;

Selling M11 aren't a good move, why?

Let's look Onda tablets. The best selling is the VX610W Deluxe, main reasons are 499 RMB price & people love 7" (16:9). They are much more easier to carry compared to other size. The Vi10W Deluxe is the 2nd best selling, again it's due to 7" and flat panel screen.

Vi20W deluxe aren't selling as well, as 7" 4:3 isn't big enough to have a decent reading experience, the resolution aren't good either. And at 699 RMB, the Vi30W deluxe 8" 4:3 is selling the same price. Vi30W deluxe is actually selling quite OK as the screen and touch sensitive is said to be better than Vi30 deluxe, except the resolution is better.

So the best selling point is Vi30 deluxe is being the 1st Allwinner A10 tablet to have 1024x??? resolution. But it's not selling that well due to it's expansive price. Also majority are being "educated" to like 7" (Galaxy Tab), to like 9.7" (Ipad) and to like 10.1" (A500/TF101/GT10.1/etc)

8" is neither here nor there^^; It's either you like it or u hate it. Regardless how well M11 is, the design aren't really appealing from the photos^^;

If you notice all the 9.7" IPS tablet will somehow linked to Ipad. It's mainly telling others you will like the screen/size. People tend to be able to accept 9.7" is a good size to have. Of cause you'll need to market a bit more to convinced people why they want to fork out US$250 for a 9.7" tablet.

Weight also plays a VERY important part in 9.7" tablet. I'd read a few comments in the China community, that they returned the Ten2 because of the weight. During the X'mas holiday, SmartQ Ten2 is the best selling 9.7" tablets. Reasons are Ten2 is known for it's screen, build and good wifi. The firmware is stable and they dropped the price from 1499 RMB to 998 RMB. A lot just went crazy, 360buy (like bestbuy) and newegg cn were out of stock in less than 3 days.

Novo7A good sales is mainly due to the online support and word of mouth. So I do believe it's better to go with the flow. Sell tablets with good online support :) Regardless how well you can support your customer, it can't beat having a community to help support :)

#19 lordsbm

lordsbm

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 03:01 AM

I looked at some of Lordsbm videos on youtube of the G2. Performance looks good. But I do have one question... How is build quality? It looks like the same/similar design as the Wopad I7. I was/am really NOT a fan of the Wopad I7 build. The more I used it, the more I hated it as it was cheap garbage which was a real shame considering the fact that the tablet was really nice otherwise.

So... is the G2 really sturdy? Does it come apart easily or does it feel solid? I am really curious as the specs are nice on the device. But, I anytime I see a device now with that "surfboard aluminum back" I worry a bit :). I know... the iPad has the same design. So I know it can be done well. But any Gemei G2 users thoughts on this topic are welcome. Especially from those folks who have used several different devices.

Thanks!

Roman

Here's what I'd posted sometime back lol
http://forums.hardwa...2-post1296.html

Here's a link someone shared for the disassembling shots of G2
http://forums.hardwa...3-post1301.html

edit: BTW Gemei G2 is selling quite ok in China. In 2 weeks they sold 500+ sets on Taobao alone.

Edited by lordsbm, 04 January 2012 - 03:03 AM.

#20 wyrm

wyrm

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Locationthe Netherlands

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

Thanks for this nice review!

Ever considered selling the Teclast A10 instead of the V99 or Vi40? It is a very nice 9.7" HD IPS tablet with a RK2918 processor 1GB DDR3 ram, 8GB storage, a micro usb, mini usb AND full size (!!!) usb port and hdmi. This all is selling for roughly $200,= incl shipping. ICS for this tab is on the way.

I have ordered mine a few days ago and will let you know how it is when I have it in my hands. The reviews are very positive:
Indepth chinese review
Youtube Review

The only thing I don't like about this tab is the confusing name. An A10 tab without an A10 chip.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users