965 replies to this topic

#1 IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationAL

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

NOTE: I HAVE MOVED TO ANOTHER SITE. ALTHOUGH I WILL STOP BY HERE FROM TIME TO TIME, CONTINUED AND FURTHER SUPPORT WILL BE A LOT QUICKER FOR YOU HERE:

http://androidrevolutions.com/index.php?/forum/133-mercury-flytouchsuperpad-3-tab-10/

INTRODUCTION

This thread is dedicated to all those who are running Android Tab10 on what they may have thought was a ibex Flytouch/Superpad 3.

***If you are a moderator and feel that this was placed in the improper section, by all means move it where you feel it best serves this community.***

End Users
: I'm sorry to inform you that you have most likely either been mislead into purchasing or purchased unintentionally a lower quality device which is a clone attempt on the ibex Flytouch 3 model.

Now, that's not to say that we can't have fun making this device more than what it was when you purchased it! I will be moderating the first 2 posts in this thread as I gain new ideas and techniques to include tips, tricks, tweaks, mods, and all kinds of info.

DEVICE SPECIFICATIONS

What you MOST LIKELY have is a device called a "Mercury". This is a clone tablet put together as cheaply as possible to most closely resemble the ibex flytouch 3 model. This cloning is born out of the success of ibex's Flytouch 5 and is typically sold as a Flytouch/Superpad III. The makers did their best to reproduce this as cheaply as possible. After all, you probably purchased it between (and I'm using US $) $140-$200. Not bad for a 10.1 inch with all the bells and whistles you could ever ask for! They have to make a profit off of this too right? So you can imagine how budget tight this device was created.

***PLEASE NOTE***

To confirm you do in fact have the same device I am using, download ELIXIR or ELIXIR2 from the app market. It will identify more information than you could think of about the physical aspects of your device. Most of the information I'm going to provide here is based on my findings through Elixer.

If you can not find this free app in the market which is a likely possibility, download it from another android device such as a smartphone. If your android device is rooted, you can browse to the apk usually located in /Data/App and copy it to a micro sd card, upload it to a dropbox, send it in an email that is synced with your tab, etc. Just so long as you get it on the tablet and instal it.

The following is a list of specs I have put together as discovery and research on my part:

Manufacturer: Unknown (There are several)

Model: Mercury - Sold with the Flytouch/Superpad 3 name

System: Android Tab10

Android Version: Listed on the device as 2.3 in the about section, but sold as a 2.2... Research shows it's most likely a mutated 2.2 Froyo. Elixir shows it to be v2.2

CPU: ARMv6-compatible processor rev 5 (v6L) Single Core - Infotm iMAPX220,1GHz ARM11

Memory RAM: 512MB with roughly 405MB available.

"Hard Drive":
Actually "FLASH" memory.. It's split as follows:
Internal Storage: 2.5GB /mnt/sdcard (inside the device is most likely an actual micro sd card that is mounted internally.. it is being treated as internal memory.. This is info by research and I'm yet to confirm on mine)
Internal Storage: 1GB /DATA (File System space for Applications)

Hard drive is sold as a Built in 4GB. Some Sellers call it "Flash" which is what it is)

Kernel: a few different, most notable tho- root@jackie and root@wanghua build. I personally, am running Linux Verion 2.6.32.9 root@wanghua which I do not believe supports HAVS nor can you change clock settings.. Strangely enough, I haven't found an app that is able to determine the current frequencies... ?

Power Adapter: 9V DC (Sold to me as: 100-240V Input, 5V DC Output, 2.5A)

Lithium Battery: unsure.. I know it's Li-ion, haven't checked on type (sold as- 4800mAh Stand-by time: 3.5-4 hours)

Screen: Resistive 600x1024 160DPI (sold as-10.1 inch ultra high definition touchscreen)

Wifi: yes 802.11 b/g (tested, works fantastic)(research shows it's a rerouted usb port inside with an external usb-wifi adapter attached XD. I have not opened it to see yet)

3G Data: untested. (sold as- Support 3G dongle, working on WCDMA network)

RJ45 Ethernet 10/100 Port: Yes but untested

HDMI (out): yes, untested.

Audio: 2 super crappy, super quiet stereo speakers. Apparently however, this is the case for all Flytouch/Superpad 3 models including ibex's.

Accelerometer: Yes. Also supports 260 screen rotation. Tested, and working properly.

Camera: Front facing only. 1.3m pixel. Also records video. Both 640x480. Both tested fine.

File Formats supported: untested. (sold as: AVI, WMV, RM, RMVB, MKV, 3GP, MP4, ASF, VOB, PG, TS, TP, DIVX, MOV)

Music Formats supported: untested. (Sold as: MP3, WMA, MP2, OGG, AAC, M4A, MA4, FLAC, APE, 3GP, WAV

Photo Album files supported: untested (Sold as: supporting JPEG/BMP/GIF/PNG

USB: 2 ports are visible on the device. Not tested, but will today. (sold as: 2 usb 2.0)

Built in GPS: Yes (tested, works perfectly. However, comes with a required "Outer antenna" that must be plugged into it's gps to work.)

Bluetooth: Supports it, but untested and requires a dongle.

1 tft Micro sd card slot: Yes. Tested, working great.

Headphones Jack: Works very well.

Physical buttons on the device include:
Square iPhone'ish back button on the face, physical wifi on/off switch, home, menu, volume up/down, power.

Supports E-book and turning page functions. Tested great

Claims to Support multiple languages: Simple Chinese, Traditional Chinese, English, German, Italian, Portuguese, French, Spanish, Turkish, Japanese, Russian, Turkish, Swedish, Czech, Greek, Thai, Romanian, Hindi, Vietnamese, Finnish, Bulgarian, Slovak, Hebrew, Norwegian, Hungarian, Indonesian, Arabic, Danish (I only know English so I can't really test :D)

Standard packaging includes (which I received all described with exception to a true Flytouch device):

1 x 10.1 inch flytouch 3 Tablet
1 x Travel Charger
1 x GPS Antenna
1 x Earphone (they are awful imo.)
User manual

CONCLUSION

Although you have a clone device, you still have a decent working machine and with the help of our growing community and myself, we can make this tab more than what we paid for :)

Post 2 will be full of information regarding tips, tricks, tweaks, mods, and general info as I obtain it. Most will be tested by myself. Those that aren't will be noted as such.

Edited by IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo, 18 June 2012 - 09:51 PM.

• Miss Dragon , Mark Painter, Justin-noob! and 1 other like this
Posted Image
Revolutionizing the Android Community
Posted Image
Tampered, S-OFF, Running Android 4.0.3 ICS
CleanROM Developer Edition 1.4
Radio 1.22.10.0421r, 1.22.10.0424r

#2 IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationAL

Posted 28 December 2011 - 05:10 PM

PLEASE TAKE NOTE THAT I HAVE MOVED TO ANOTHER SITE. ALTHOUGH I WILL STOP BY HERE FROM TIME TO TIME, CONTINUED AND FURTHER SUPPORT WILL BE A LOT QUICKER FOR YOU HERE:

http://androidrevolutions.com/index.php?/forum/133-mercury-flytouchsuperpad-3-tab-10/

HOW TO OBTAIN ROOT

As the topic suggests, this is an effective, trouble free, pc free, way to root this device.

*************!!!IMPORTANT!!!*************

When you "root" your device, you are granting yourself "root access" to any and all files both visible and non within your tablet. You have the freedom of changing ANYTHING possible with this kind of access along with permanently bricking your tablet.

if you do not know what bricking means, please go outside, bring in a brick, and attempt to use it as your tablet...
This is bricking.

Although there is an extremely slim chance of ever bricking your phone using this method, I will not be held responsible for damages to your device by redistributing this easily and readily available information listed all over the free web :D

I am currently unsure if rooting the device messes up any custom recovery that may have been present on it.. I do not know? I don't even know if it had a custom recovery to begin with.. However, I DO know that attempting a factory reset failed for me however having only tested it after the device was rooted.
That being said..

Here's how you do it

STEP ONE: Enabling USB Debugging

In order to root this, you must have usb debugging enabled. On almost every android platform, this would be located under /Menu/Settings/Applications/Development

However! It does not appear to be here? As a matter of fact, you can't find it anywhere..

Here's what you need to do.
Go the android market from the device.

Please thank Slate Droid member Danny Backx for creating the following app. It has simplified this process! It will also give you a quick run down of your Tablet's technical info and help you identify what you have exactly. it is called ShowVersions and is found in the Android Market. Please rate the app and leave a review should it be successful in turning USB debugging on for you.
Once installed, launch the app. It will immediately give you info on your tablet, and provide you with a gray button to take you to "Development".
Here you can activate USB debugging by placing a check in the USB debugging box.
It will ask you if you wish to do this and just click ok. I always leave this option checked. It is extremely useful.

Great! USB Debugging enabled!

STEP TWO: Downloading and Launching Z4ROOT

I do not own Z4Root, but many thanks to the author for making root so easy for many devices. It used to be available in the app market until it got knocked out by google. It is still readily available all over the internet including several different android communities.
For simplicity sake, I have it uploaded to my drop box and all you need do to download it is click here: Z4ROOT ;)

For those who are downloading this to a pc first who's anti-virus type utilities go into overkill and stop the download by miss-identifying the apk as a virus, I have provided a link to the file in "zipped" format in an attempt to trick the system: Z4ROOT Zipped
For this file, you will need to unzip it first with a zip utility such as 7Zip or Winzip. After unzip, you can transfer the apk to your tablet.

After you have installed Z4Root, launch it. You have the option the Permanently root, or to temp root. Permanently does not mean you can no longer "un-root" the tablet if you chose to, it just means it will stick after reboots. After you are rooted, you can actually go right back here and click the available option: Re-Root or Un-root.

After you click root permanently, it will put you in a waiting type mode for a minute or less. After this time, the device should automatically reboot, and eventually come back to your home screen.

Done!

You should be rooted! Go into your apps and see if Super User is present. If it is, you are rooted friend.
Super User is your defense. It basically acts like "windows defender" and makes you confirm use of "root Only" apps but you only have to confirm it once or twice (usually only once).

Now that you have root access, you can begin the process of amping this tablet.

Watch what you do.. All it takes is deleting or moving the wrong files and you could be stuck in a bootloop, screen freezes, brick, etc.

I will be posting more to Post #2 on what can be deleted, backed up, or converted to a user app as they way it came when you purchased it is seriously messed up!

REMOVING BLOATWARE AND MEDIA

*****The following information is for rooted devices only*****

Please remember that what you do here can either negatively or positively effect the performance of your Tablet and can lead to bricking or bootloops if you are not careful

First thing's first.

Go to the Android Market and download (free app) Titanium Backup.

This is an amazing application and I HIGHLY recommend it for all rooted devices.
Once downloaded, launch the app.
It will need to obtain root access so Super User will now kick in and ask you if you wish to grant it access. tap yes.
you may get re-directed to a changelog or introductory page the first time but just go ahead and click on or go back.. Whatever needs to be done to take you back to the original home screen of the app.
Take a minute here to get an overview of the information it's providing you.
For what we are going to do, I want you to focus particularly at the storage/space information listed at the very bottom.
Now the actual Operating System itself is stored in the "System ROM" section. You basically have a small dedicated amount of space for the operating system to move around in. As you can see, it's a little tight..
The next section just you know, is the amount of space dedicated for your app installs. It should be a generous round about of 1.07BG. That's pretty nice :)
Of course what's listed next is your internally hidden/built and mounted sd card... From what I understand, it's another micro sd card mounted inside. This is basically like, your built in storage space since it most likely didn't come with an external micro sd card (at least mine didn't)
and lastly, the Ext. SD card is you external tft inserted micro sd card.

What we are going to attempt to do is free up some breathing room for the system!

If your tablet is like mine, it came with all kinds of apps that you would never use yet are unable to uninstall! Whats worse, is some of those apps are user apps installed in the system directory when they shouldn't be and so are taking up unnecessary room. For example: Mine came with Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja installed as a system app and those two together (if I remember correctly) use up around 25-30MB of space alone!
Here's what you need to do..

Click the center tab listed near the top titled Backup/Restore.
Once your apps show, tap either the soft menu key at the top right, or press the menu key on the top of the tablet (or side depending upon perspective), and then select "Filters"
Filter:

Type: System
temperature: All
now select apply in the top right corner.

Once the list populates we are going to go through and weed out the unnecessary stuff UNLESS you wish to keep it.. It is your decision not mine.

***IT IS IMPORTANT NOT TO MODIFY OR DELETE THE FOLLOWING:***
Account and Sync Settings
Adobe Flash
Adobe Reader
ADSL Dialer
Calculator (unless you just don't want it.. the file is too small to make a difference if removed really)
Calendar (unless you do not want it)
Calendar 1.0 (same as above)
Calendar Storage (Surprisingly, removing this will cause some problems.. leave it alone)
Certificate Installer
Alarms Clock
com.android.providers.applications
USER DICT com.android.....
Com.android...
Contacts/Calls..
SMS/MMS/APN Dialer Storage (DO NOT TOUCH, EVER)
Download Manager
DRM Protected Content..
Email 2.2 (unless you honestly don't use it.. I would suggest leaving it tho)
Ethernet Settings
Gmail (removing this will effect sync with the market and possibly cause other issues)
Google Services Framework (DO NOT TOUCH)
GSensor calibration
HDMI Settings
HDMI ServiceIPC
HTML Viewer
[DESKTOP] Infotm Home 2.2 (This is the default launcher. On my HTC Incredible the home launcher can be removed once another launcher has been installed, and selected as the default launcher when pressing the home key. Removing the launcher without another launcher to use will result in bootloops and you may as well say goodbye to your tablet unless you know how to flash os firmware. Although I have not deleted my original launcher, it does not hurt to leave it as it is not even 1MB in size. I would suggest not touching it)
Market (DO NOT TOUCH) for some reason, playing with this will cause you world's of problems and fc issues.
Media Container Service
Playlist Media Storage
My Pad (unknown what will happen if this is removed.. honestly don't know? For now don't touch)
Package Installer (without this, apk's can not be installed.. it's a necessity)
Pico tts
Wallpaper settings (DO NOT TOUCH)
settings Bluetooth Settings Storage (NO TOUCHY)
VPN Services
Wi-Fi Settings

Phew! Long list of DO NOT TOUCH's. Generally, Games can be deleted. I unfortunately do not remember what all came on here when I got it.. I got rid of so much. I do remember however, the Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja were the first to go. Those aren't system apps come on... Delete them, and simply re-download them from the market. They will then re-install as a user app (as it should be). Some System Apps however, can be converted to USER apps! However, converting apps through Titanium Back-up requires the purchased version and it's about $8 USD I believe.. May not be worth it for you.

Apps that can be converted from System to User are:
Camera
Contacts
Documents to Go
Dolphin Web Browser
eReader
Es Task Manager
Es File Explorer
Google Voice
Maps
Music Player
Video Player
Voice Search
Weather Forecast

Some of those listed may have already been a user app or may have been downloaded by me later.. However they work as a User app.

ALWAYS, before deleting or converting any of these, tap on the item, and select "Backup!" on the left side. this backs up the app to either your external sd card or your built in storage. Once backed up, click wipe data (NOT DELETE because that's your backup!) and then Un-Install. it will remove it and uninstall it but leave it as an entry for you to bring it back if you want it by simply clicking on it and selecting restore APP+DATA.

If you have any questions about what is safe to remove or what isn't please message me first.. Deleting the wrong thing can be catastrophic :)

Tomorrow I will go into the 2nd part of clearing room from the System folder by actually taking you to the system folder and showing you how to remove certain media that is taking up a good bit of space.. Media that by choice, you may or may not want anymore.. Remember, you can always back it up and bring it back later if you want.

REMOVING BLOATWARE AND MEDIA - PART 2

for this part, I recommend using an app called "Root Explorer". It is not free, however it is not very expensive either. As a matter of fact, you can probably find it for free if you google around a bit as it was free once..

Should you choose not to use root explorer, then use (called exactly) "Root Browser Lite"
If it does not show in your market and considering it is free, I have made it easily available for you to download from my dropbox here:

After the download, it's going to ask you if you want to enable the root access features to which of course, you will tap "yes".
Doing this triggers Super User to approve this applications root access. Grant the access.
Welcome to your operating system! You can literally destroy your phone in here so be careful!
For what we are trying to do, we will be focusing on the "System" Folder so go ahead and tap it.
although there are a good bit of things you can get rid of in here, we're only going to focus on the bigger/media related files.

If you're using Root Browser Lite, then you have already mounted the System Folder as Writable (RW allows you to modify files)
If you're using Root Explorer, you will need to press the icon at the top called "Mount RW". It wil then (to the left of it) tell you that it is now mounted as r/w or "re-writable"

Ok so the first decent sized file that you come upon is your boot animation! If you remove this file, your tablet most likely has a hidden fall back animation that will have an animated "ANDROID" type scroll across the screen. You can delete the animation if you don't want it anymore. If you like it, and just don't want to use it for the moment and will want it back in the future, long press it and move or cut the file. Navigate out of the system folder and put it elsewhere (where you can remember where it is). Should you choose to keep the file, then skip to the next step.
Click on the audio folder.

You will have 1 folder for all your alarms, 1 for all notifications, one for ringtone (wuuuh? lol) and one for the ui like camera click, keyboard tacks, and such.

Basically, you can go into each folder and decide what you want to keep and what you don't want to keep. Delete what you want or move them out of the system folder for use in the future.. you can sort the view of files by size in descending order by tapping menu while in the file browser of choice and selecting the option or preference.
There is a trick to playing the sound to test it and see if you want to keep it tho..
For some reason, your tablet doesn't recognize the file format .ogg right off hand (unless you've installed a custom player) so what you will need to do is long press the file, select "open with", Click on the Apps tab,check off "Always perform the selected action for this type of file, then select "Music Player".

Now every time you click on that media file type it will open the player and play the sound for you :)

You can always go back into Titanium and see how well you're doing on space and such.

If anyone has anything to add, let me know.

The next section will be about tweaking your RAM performance settings to improve available memory and help the system run more lag free! I will be uploading this info on Tuesday as I am leaving in a few minute for my mini New Years vacation.

Happy New Years everyone

HOLIDAY TREAT for the brave and for the risk takers!

ROMS (FIRMWARE)

Because the information has been made available recently in this thread, I felt it necessary to go ahead and provide it for those who may have bricked their device or have chosen to take the risk of testing out other firmware on the sole trust of members they do not know who have successfully flashed the ROM.

This section will be updated from time to time to include new firmware releases that have been tested with our particular Mercury Tablet to ensure they are safe for you to try. A post will be made to the thread indicating the change to Post #2 and provide you of detailed info of what was changed or added.

For today, I will be uploading two (ROMS) firmware o.s. that have been tested by a couple users and not yet by my self.

EDIT: My uploads keep failing for some reason.. So as not to provide you with missing or corrupt data aon what DID upload, I am re downloading them to my desktop to compare with the real downloaded builds to see what is missing... For Now, I will only be providing the links to the files for you to go and download yourself.

They are in .RAR format so you will need to extract them to your PC first. Detailed instructions of exactly what to do with these RAR files will be provided after the rom posts.

For RAR extracting, I personally use "7ZIP".

The first that will be provided to you appears to be a "Tab10" build or, as the included change-log suggests, "Android 10".

The second is the official ibex release for Flytouch 4/5 I believe. I also have not tested it.

Feel free to test both of these but PLEASE TAKE CAUTION. Flashing new firmware erases everything and puts your tablet into a "factory" state. Should this happen, I will do my best to help bring you back to a stable working tablet, but I will not be held responsible for your brick.

As I listed yesterday, you can use Titanium Backup to backup any applications you want to keep including their information. Like if you had a game with saved files and such..

Once you reboot after the fresh instal, you will need to re-download Titanium Backup from the Android Market.. Although I'm unsure with the tablet, you may even need to re-root. I will be confirming or denying this suspicion once I flash the rom. I plan to try both firmware and give as detailed a report as I can on their stability and handling.

Ok, on to the roms..

ROMS

android 2.3 10inch gps Imapx 2011-11-14 android10 (as the name suggests, the build was most likely made Nov. 14th, 2011)

This was found off of a Russian website by SlateDroid member thel2dab and although he did not create the rom, he is being given credit for finding it and testing it himself.

Credit for this rom goes to 4PDA.ru

This Russian site is tricky! Once you have submitted the Captcha, it gives you the link to press and download the file. HOWEVER! Pressing it will take you to a page where they want you to download and install their software/plug-in.

This is unnecessary!

What you must do, is right click the link and select SAVE AS or SAVE LINK AS and that will be the file.

Official ibex Flytouch4 YOSpad (Resistive)

This was found by SlateDroid member clone_victim and although he did not create the rom, he is being given credit for finding it and testing it himself.

Credit for this rom goes to ibex and Apad_tv.

Unfortunately, this one is not as easily available as I'd like to provide for you, but it's still pretty simple!
As I've noticed today, this file needs to be downloaded from this site from something other than an Android device. My only successful download was from a pc.

Once you get to the site, Select Slow speed (or fee). You will then be taken to a page to enter in the "Captcha". This may be extremely difficult to read. You can either hit the reload arrow next to it, or give it your best shot. If you fail the captcha, it w ill re-load with a different one. I'm not sure as to how many you can get wrong..

Once passed, the download link will appear. Click on this and your download should start. Don't mess this up or stop it because you won't be able to attempt the download again (for free) for another hour.

Sawee10

This was found by SlateDroid member icabob4 and although he did not create the rom, he is being given credit for finding it and testing it himself. (I have not tested this rom. Further build/name info will be provided after I do. For the moment, I do not know who made the ROM)

Credit for this rom goes to Apad_tv.

Sawee10 (different build)

This was found by SlateDroid member icabob4 and although he did not create the rom, he is being given credit for finding it and testing it himself. (I have not tested this rom. Further build/name info will be provided after I do. For the moment, I do not know who made the ROM)

Credit for this rom goes to Apad_tv.

Here are the flashing instructions provided by thel2dab:

1 - Download file to your PC.

2 - Card microSD card readers connect to a PC.

3 - Copy complete the contents from android folder in the root directory of the microSD card.

4 - Insert the microSD card into the tablet ensure the power supply connected.

5 - Press home + Back + Power it will then as you to press buttons for factory reset - release buttons and press home + back again before the countdown from 5 finishes. It will the load files from sd card

6 - The firmware update is performed automatically.

7 - Remove after performing the update files from the SD card

The first boot will take a long time but it will boot.

As he stated about your first boot, it will take longer. This is because it has to build the Dalvik Cache (if like an android smartphone) and others caches for the apps. First boot always takes much longer so don't fear.

****IF THIS FLASHING PROCEDURE DID NOT WORK FOR YOU, HERE IS ANOTHER ONE TO TRY:****

The following info has been provided by SlateDroid member Adamc

There are two ways to flash, via USB and SD Card. SD in my opinion is the easiest, once you have prepared the SD Card... this only needs to be done once. I suggest you get hold of a 1 or 2GB SD Card and keep it for flashing only, this process means only 705Mb is available

1. Prepare the SD Card (Warning this will wipe the card)
Download this file to your PC: http://www.mediafire...chtva7c4r3u3q73 and unzip.

Browse to: http://www.androidta...b-flashing.html

Scroll Down to the Flashing Images / Alternative Solution section.

Follow the procedure and use Winhex to create a 705Mb partition and install the boot block, format etc when it gets to #10, copy the firmware files from either of the two links posted in post #1 of this thread.

2. Flashing
Create an android folder in the root of your newly prepared SD Card, note the case – its all lower case.

Copy the following files from the firmware posted in this thread into the android folder.
ramdisk.img
system.img
uImage
userdata.img
zSYS.img

Safely remove the sd card from your PC. Power off your tablet. Remove your normal SD card and insert the newly prepared card.

Warning at this point you will wipe anything on the tablet! You have been warned!

Insert card, power on. (Note this takes all of about 40 seconds to complete).

The tablet will boot immediately off the SD card, you do not need to press any buttons.

There will be several Black screen white text progress bar in middle,
“Updating Image Android” will be displayed, followed by “Burnning File System.”
Eventually “Take off SD and reboot.” will be displayed.
Ejecting the SD Card is enough – it reboots automatically.
The first boot always takes a couple of minutes, whilst caches are built etc.

Once Complete you'll get the Screen Calibration screen. Complete this and then you'll be presented with a familiar screen! All done. You can now proceed to root (using the procedure in this thread), and customise!

TIPS, TRICKS, AND OTHER DOWNLOADS

How to install a PIN/Pattern lock to your Tablet

*****WARNING!***** You may get locked out of your Tablet! FYI! This has only worked for a few and you do not need to be rooted to lock yourself out of your tablet! Proceed with caution and only if you have a firmware you know works with your tablet!

The following info has been provided by SlateDroid member Adamc

Install Launcher Pro (if you uninstalled it after rooting)
Press the Home button and select Launcher Pro
Long press desktop
Select shortcuts
Scroll down, select Activities
Settings / Settings / com.android.settings.ChooseLockGeneric
Set the name to Lock Settings.

Start the Lock Settings app and choose your lock settings. Now when powering on/Waking, the tablet will ask for your pin/password/pattern.

Tablet-PC USER MANUAL

I chopped my manual up, scanned each page, resized the images, etc etc etc. Since many may not be able to view pdf's, I simply left them as jpegs that can be printed out. I made the aspect ratio the same as an 8 1/2 x 11 standard size sheet. The manual itself is actually quite small..5 x 6 1/2 or something like that. Attached you will find the zip file containing the images. They are numbered from 1-40.
If you are using Tapatalk fear not! The file is right here:

Tablet-PC-User-Manual

Please note that it is only in black and white simply because that is how it came.

I hope this helps a lot of you.

-Neo

Edited by IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo, 04 June 2012 - 04:45 PM.

• Miss Dragon , Icabob4, lipon67 and 3 others like this
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 granny1

granny1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationTasmania Australia

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:06 AM

Hi Neo,
Thank you for starting this post, we really need it.
I m quite suprised with my Tab 10, it is reasonably fast, does nearly everything it says (granted I have done something please don't ask what as I am not sure).
I got quite irritated that I couldn't register my google account(LG Mobile) and get Google Maps with Navigation so, I ended up putting the micro sd card onto the computer and copying the Android files to a new card and booted with that, I now have Google Maps that work, WiFi works a treat.
Ethernet works just as well, also I can get paid Apps from the Market go figure.
The only thing that I haven't been able to get around is the Application Settings (Process Com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly error when I try to activate Mobile networks so that I can use a USB Modem.
That's why I was wondering if I rooted the tablet would it fix that.
Anyway I am awaiting your tips and tricks with anticipation.
Regards Granny1
Zenithink ZT280 C91 Android 4.0.3 20120314_3n, with Omarahum's OC 950mhz Kernel and 2GB Data Partition.
Zenithink ZT282_E8_1M.1GB.C71+ Android 4.0_0412_V1.1 with Omarahum's OC 1Ghz Kernel and 2GB Data Partition.

They Soar Like Birds and they Fly Like Birds.
CEROS REVOLUTION Android 4.2.2 2G RAM

#4 Bloggs

Bloggs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 06:44 AM

Neo - is the app you were referring to Elixir and not Elixer?

Memory RAM: ACTUAL 405MB (sold as: 512MB)- unless you have actually cracked your Tab 10 open and read the identification numbers off the actual memory chips to confirm this I would suggest to you that there is physically 512MB soldered on the pcb but only 405MB is available to the operating system, the remainder is reserved at bios level for video (typically). These days, surface mount memory is only produced in larger sizes, so actually being able to get 405MB is not possible. The apps that report on the hardware present are not always accurate.

The GPS chipset is internal to the tablet, it is just the active antenna that plugs into the device. The active antenna is a standard device that many different devices use, check out ########### :D

Edited by Bloggs, 29 December 2011 - 06:48 AM.

#5 Danny Backx

Danny Backx

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:19 AM

You can bypass the Launcher Pro stuff if you download this little tool that I just wrote. It'll show some data on your device, and also offer a button that leads directly to the Development settings screen.

Find it as "ShowVersions" on the Android Market (https://market.andro...e=search_result) or on Google Code (http://code.google.com/p/showversions/).

BTW I have a Tab10 as well. It came with an external GPS antenna but no earphones. Android 2.2 instead of the 2.3 promised.

Also Market doesn't show all apps and doesn't list this device in my devices page. That's the biggest problem for me.

Feedback on the ShowVersions tool is welcomed.

Danny

#6 famonaco

famonaco

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:40 AM

well thx and now???? compatibles firmware maybe changing build.prop or same libs????

#7 adamc

adamc

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:00 AM

I too have one of these tablets.

I have spent an age searching the forums for firmware (at the very least the same firmware running on the device so I can flash it if I ever need to).

My tablet was running firmware version 2.3 2011-09-01 (0011112) (Model Number reported as Android Tab10) originally. I have so far been unable to find this version.

I have found this release 2.2 2011-06-24 (011111) (Model Number reported as YOSPad). This is currently running on my tablet, rooted, other than the standard market issues - no other problems.

I will publish the link for this later when I get home, as its on my home PC.

I'll also publish the link that describes the flashing procedure, so we have it all in this thread.

I would be interested to know if anyone has found the 2.3 2011-09-01 (0011112) firmware.

Adam.

#8 adamc

adamc

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:02 AM

Thanks Neo for starting this post, I'm happy to contribute as we learn more about this tablet.

Adam.

#9 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

Maybe I can clear up a few things from the 1st post, I'll just edit it and put my comments in red below

End Users
: I'm sorry to inform you that you have most likely been mislead into purchasing a lower quality device slated as those previously mentioned and for pretty cheap! You have only been mislead if you have been told the pad is a specific brand such as Ibex. By brand I mean someone has tacked a name on to the existing Flytouch/Superpad name. These are all generic cookie cutter tablets which is why they can be purchased so cheap. There is no specific clone factory cranking out lower quality defective tablets.

What you MOST LIKELY have is a device called a "Mercury". This is a make-shift mutant put together to most closely resemble one of the ibex flytouch series. It is lower in quality, Flytouch "Wannabe" created due to the success of ibex's Flytouch 5 and is typically sold as a Flytouch/Superpad III. The makers did their best to reproduce this as cheaply as possible... After all, you probably purchased it between (and I'm using $) $140-$200. Not bad for a 10.1 inch with all the bells and whistles you could ever ask for! They have to make a profit off of this too right? So you can imagine how cheaply it was put together. Yes put together exactly like the Ibex Flytouch 3 and sold in the exact same price range, so that would make the Ibex branded Flytouch 3 a "a make-shift mutant " "lower in quality, Flytouch "Wannabe" A company called Chinagrabber orders their pads from the same factory as many of the other retailers, they just pay a little extra to have the name Ibex pasted on a box.

Manufacturer: Unknown (Sold as-ibex) If this is true and the site it was purchased from said Ibex, while Ibex is not a company but simply a branding of the generic Flytouch 3, you were mislead. Ibex does not manufacture or own the rights to the Flytouch name but it is a specific branding and you should try to reverse the charges or return the tablet. Not that there is likely anything wrong with the tablet, just that you were mislead.

Model: Mercury (Sold as- either Flytouch 3,4,or,5-commonly 3) It is a Flytouch 3, no question

System: Android Tab10 (Sold as- Not mentioned, but the device they're pretending to sell comes with Disco) Disco10 is just one of many firmware versions that come on these pad. P041is one example of another. Neither is the real or true.

CPU: ARMv6-compatible processor rev 5 (v6L) Single Core (Sold as- Infotm iMAPX220,1GHz ARM11) ARMv6 is the family the X220 is the actual processor, no deception there.

Memory RAM: ACTUAL 405MB (sold as: 512MB) Actual 512MB 405MB available and this number will vary with different builds.

Kernel: a few different, most notable tho- root@jackie and root@wanghua These are the current build of the kernel used, we would need the actual kernel number.

Audio: 2 super crappy, super quiet stereo speakers. Same as Ibex or any other Flytouch 3 on the market.

Bluetooth: Appears to have it, but untested to see if claim is accurate. It doesn't but it comes with the software control side because it supports bluetooth dongles

My comments are not meant as a shot at the OP, but just to dispel some of the Ibex propaganda. When you order a Flytouch3 in reality you are ordering a design with a certain case and certain specifications. They all use the same motherboards and processors, though the version numbers on the mother boards will vary. As the technology progresses there are changes like the jump to 9V. The firmware and the OS will always be different. The only advantage the dicsco10 model has is a larger support in the custom rom community. That is it. If that is really important to you then contact the reseller prior to purchase and verify, get it in writing.
  • Bloggs likes this

If you Like my efforts please feel free to donate, the price of Pepsi Max keeps going up. DONATE HERE

Skytex Promotional code SLATE25OFF on Skytex tablets for all Slatedroid members @ shop.skytex.com

Skytex Skypad S10 Rabid ROM Beta v1.0
Skytex Imagine 10 Rabid ROM v10 Jelly Bean
Skytex SP712 ICS Stock
HP Touchpad Dual Boot WebOs and CM9
Skytex Skypad Gemini 7" ICS Rabid ROM V1.0
Excite 10 Tegra 3 Stock ICS
Elocity A7+ Evilocity ROM
Sylvania SynetLP 7" Rooted

#10 Miss Dragon

Miss Dragon

Dragon Lady

• PipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts
  • LocationDragonDevs

Posted 29 December 2011 - 12:19 PM

Thanks Neo for the information about this tablet, I'm going to move this to it's dedicate subforum Here. http://www.slatedroi...-android-tab10/
Places can find me:

HERE

#11 Jupiter205

Jupiter205

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 02:25 PM

Hi Neo,
Thanks for starting this thread. I bought one of these tabs for my lad for a Christmas pressie, and am keen to iron out the minor issues with it. As a beginner with Android and tablets I have been looking for some information pitched at the right level for me. I've found it, thanks again! Looking forward to forthcoming posts :)

#12 clone_victim

clone_victim

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:40 PM

Hi Neo,
Thanks for starting this thread. I bought one of these tabs for my lad for a Christmas pressie, and am keen to iron out the minor issues with it. As a beginner with Android and tablets I have been looking for some information pitched at the right level for me. I've found it, thanks again! Looking forward to forthcoming posts :)

#13 clone_victim

clone_victim

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:41 PM

I would also like to find a link for the firmware or rom for this tablet. I bought one for my daughter and have successfully bricked it

#14 IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationAL

Posted 29 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

Thank you for starting this post, we really need it.
I m quite suprised with my Tab 10, it is reasonably fast, does nearly everything it says (granted I have done something please don't ask what as I am not sure).
I got quite irritated that I couldn't register my google account(LG Mobile) and get Google Maps with Navigation so, I ended up putting the micro sd card onto the computer and copying the Android files to a new card and booted with that, I now have Google Maps that work, WiFi works a treat.
Ethernet works just as well, also I can get paid Apps from the Market go figure.
The only thing that I haven't been able to get around is the Application Settings (Process Com.android.settings) has stopped unexpectedly error when I try to activate Mobile networks so that I can use a USB Modem.
That's why I was wondering if I rooted the tablet would it fix that.
Anyway I am awaiting your tips and tricks with anticipation.
Regards Granny1

You are quite welcome as are the rest of you. For the money, this device does perform better than I had anticipated. A work around to the market problem would be to sign up for drop box. You can get the drop box mobile app on both your tablet and lg device. If you have paid apps, they should show in your market if successfully registered. If not, you can simply send your paid apk's (or any apps for that matter) to your drop box. Then from your tablet, it's just a matter of launching drop box and downloading whatever you uploaded :) Pretty simple. That's how I've been doing it.
With regards to the force close error, sadly, simply rooting the device will not solve that problem. I'm pretty sure you did not mean it to sound as tho simply doing so will fix the , but that in by rooting you would be given the opportunity to fix the issue on a level not available to a non-rooted device. Are you on the Wanghua build like I am? I believe it has to do with an error in the build and I unfortunately do not have the know how to fix it without flashing a new rom.. I saw somewhere that it had to do with networks being disabled or the fact that their is no service on it but I'm leaning more towards a build issue. If anyone knows the answer to this or if anything I've said is inaccurate, feel free to poke me a little :D

Neo - is the app you were referring to Elixir and not Elixer?

Memory RAM: ACTUAL 405MB (sold as: 512MB)- unless you have actually cracked your Tab 10 open and read the identification numbers off the actual memory chips to confirm this I would suggest to you that there is physically 512MB soldered on the pcb but only 405MB is available to the operating system, the remainder is reserved at bios level for video (typically). These days, surface mount memory is only produced in larger sizes, so actually being able to get 405MB is not possible. The apps that report on the hardware present are not always accurate.

The GPS chipset is internal to the tablet, it is just the active antenna that plugs into the device. The active antenna is a standard device that many different devices use, check out ########### :D

Haha yes, ElixIr. Thanks for pointing that out. I have corrected the o.p. to reflect. Elixir really is a great app for identifying a lot of the technical info concerning the device.
Thank you for the clarification on RAM. I forgot that, just like "listed available storage space", memory is treated the same. Will be making a lot of edits to the o.p. today
Yeah the active antenna being a device coupled with the mindset that I received a scam-device made me laugh to think it was most likely the gps unit itself lol thanks also for clearing this up and for inspiring me to start this thread.

You can bypass the Launcher Pro stuff if you download this little tool that I just wrote. It'll show some data on your device, and also offer a button that leads directly to the Development settings screen.

Find it as "ShowVersions" on the Android Market (https://market.andro...e=search_result) or on Google Code (http://code.google.com/p/showversions/).

BTW I have a Tab10 as well. It came with an external GPS antenna but no earphones. Android 2.2 instead of the 2.3 promised.

Also Market doesn't show all apps and doesn't list this device in my devices page. That's the biggest problem for me.

Feedback on the ShowVersions tool is welcomed.

You rock! 1st downloader. I will test it in a few to ensure it does as you've written it to do and with your permission, will add it to the o.p. as the first and quickest method to enabling USB Debugging :) Is this software tablet specific or is it across devices? If so, I will share it with others on the android forum I admin with a plug to your user i.d. and market location.
Now according to the box packaging, you should have received a pair of earbuds.. Also, within Elixir the system is shown as 2.2 but under /menu/settings/About Device/ it shows as V2.3.. This has brought on speculation that it is not in fact v2.3 but a mutated v2.2 and come to think of it, may/may not be a contributing factor to the mobile networks fc.
The market not showing the apps is due to the fact that it doesn't recognize the device. It is truly cumbersome but fortunately can be worked with if you have another android device such as a smart phone and do the dropbox technique I listed a little earlier. I will be adding that trick as part of the tricks to post 2 at some point.

Thank you for contributing

well thx and now???? compatibles firmware maybe changing build.prop or same libs????

What is next? That too I would like to know :) I wish famonaco that I could tell you I had compatible firmware to share or mods at the level you've requested.. I too along with the rest of us would love to see that kind of support. Unfortunately, I am just starting on this road to discovery with the device but will provide as much info along the way as I can. For my tips and tricks however, I will be adding to post 2 today (regardless of the know how and skill levels monitoring my info) a method for removing bloatware, media, and converting apps that were installed unnecessarily as a system app when they should have been installed as user apps. This is in an effort to free up system space to allow it to breath and run more lag free. I will show you how to identify what you have avaiable for the crammed system before, and how to check it after.
This I will do sometime today.

Thanks Neo for starting this post, I'm happy to contribute as we learn more about this tablet.

Adam.

Thanks buddy! I'm glad you're on board with this "quest" :) I do hope we can find all kinds of things down the road.. I had been met with some dismay prior to finding this site that there is practically nothing out there for our Mercury.
I'm glad that there are others here searching for answers. If you wouldn't mind, please list a link and tell us how you successfully flashed the o.s.? I am intrigued to know your process!

My comments are not meant as a shot at the OP, but just to dispel some of the Ibex propaganda. When you order a Flytouch3 in reality you are ordering a design with a certain case and certain specifications. They all use the same motherboards and processors, though the version numbers on the mother boards will vary. As the technology progresses there are changes like the jump to 9V. The firmware and the OS will always be different. The only advantage the dicsco10 model has is a larger support in the custom rom community. That is it. If that is really important to you then contact the reseller prior to purchase and verify, get it in writing.

No bullet received! I greatly appreciate any and all correction and/or criticism to the content I post with the soul intent for wanting only the facts. I do not care to support propaganda and only wish to supply facts and information for the sole purpose of the betterment of the device and user experience for all. I am very new to this tablet, 1 week in fact, and being an active android tweaker/themer/moder I was compelled to search for hours to find a place that would provide that kind of info. I found this site to contain the most information available for it and felt it would be to everyone's benefit to start a thread specifically for the Tab10 System. I guess to be most accurate, I should call it the Flytouch/Superpad 3 - Mercury Model - Android Tab10 System? :D

Thanks for clerification on cpu, ram, speakers, and bluetooth. As I mentioned previously, this is new to me and since there isn't much info available for our Mercury Tab10 specific tablet, I want it all here.

I will be correcting the O.P. with your provided information in a bit.

There is however some misleading still going on with the sellers however.. Even if it's on a small level as more of a "miss-direct" or "purposely un-provided info". then there are the straight up lies. After your decompilation of the o.p., I went to the site to check the facts with what they claim to sell. The only plainly visible inaccuracy listed is Power Adapter: 100-240V Input, 5V DC Output, 2.5A. This is a 9V device and I have found it be so. However, I don't feel it to be grounds for a return as frankly, I've been quite pleased with the device. I only wish to make it more.

Thanks Neo for the information about this tablet, I'm going to move this to it's dedicate subforum Here. http://www.slatedroi...-android-tab10/

Thank you for your swiftness and immediate availability and dedication to this site and it's new members :)

THIS right here, is a prime example of a true Moderator.

Hi Neo,
Thanks for starting this thread. I bought one of these tabs for my lad for a Christmas pressie, and am keen to iron out the minor issues with it. As a beginner with Android and tablets I have been looking for some information pitched at the right level for me. I've found it, thanks again! Looking forward to forthcoming posts

You are very welcome! My posts are as simple as I can possibly make them so that they are easy to follow by users at all levels! The information I am providing will help improve the device functionality but again must be done so with caution.

I would also like to find a link for the firmware or rom for this tablet. I bought one for my daughter and have successfully bricked it

Like the name lol. Unfortunate that it was born out of misery tho :/

as just recently mentioned by user Adamc, he appears to have a firmware that he flashed successfully for this device! I hope that he can provide us with the info and know-how of how he successfully flashed his O.S.

On a side note to all.. Does anyone know of a custom recovery and/or kernel for this device? I'm currently trying to contact a user who I believe has our same setup that has successfully overclocked the device to around 1.4ghz stable and is using a custom kernel.. I imagine he also has a custom recovery... if not, that's a brave move.

Edited by IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo, 29 December 2011 - 04:23 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationAL

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:11 PM

Word most mentioned in my posts that is starting to annoy me = Device. I should stop that ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Miss Dragon

Miss Dragon

Dragon Lady

• PipPipPip
  • 6,469 posts
  • LocationDragonDevs

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:15 PM

Word most mentioned in my posts that is starting to annoy me = Device. I should stop that ;)

How about Tablet? :p
Places can find me:

HERE

#17 IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationAL

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:17 PM

I have found this release 2.2 2011-06-24 (011111) (Model Number reported as YOSPad). This is currently running on my tablet, rooted, other than the standard market issues - no other problems.

I will publish the link for this later when I get home, as its on my home PC.

I'll also publish the link that describes the flashing procedure, so we have it all in this thread.

I would be interested to know if anyone has found the 2.3 2011-09-01 (0011112) firmware.

Adam.

By the way, I'm currently running 2.3 2011-11-11 (001112). It is what came built in to the tablet. I have also noticed in my search that there are others with a December build

Edited by IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo, 29 December 2011 - 04:17 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationAL

Posted 29 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

How about Tablet? :p

Good plan! lol Call it what it is.. a novel idea :p
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 famonaco

famonaco

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:07 PM

Good plan! lol Call it what it is.. a novel idea :p

mate if u want i can help u, i mod firmware for htc desire hd in xda,so i know something about android, but in the tablet world i'm a newbie :)
see ya

#20 IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

IAmTheOneTheyCallNeo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationAL

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

mate if u want i can help u, i mod firmware for htc desire hd in xda,so i know something about android, but in the tablet world i'm a newbie :)
see ya

Thanks! At the moment, as far as a personal desire is concerned, I want a custom recovery. I'm spoiled with ClockWork mod for my Incredible and was hoping that it being android, it would be possible. At any rate, any Custom recovery would do so long as it works. I'm ready to play with this thing but not in a rush to send it into bootloops without a recovery hahaha

I can't even get into boot loader :unsure:

Does it even have a boot loader :blink:
Posted Image
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users