Photo

What does "external GPS" and "external 3G" specs mean?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Little Muddy

Little Muddy

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:15 PM

I'm a total newby on the new Tablet and cell-phone technology (and struggling even with the latest IT desktop advances) although I am an old computer hacker of over 25 years. I just bought a new tablet from a chinese distributer. Awaiting delivery. No brand-name.
http://www.everbuyin...duct77855.html.

As you can see in the specs it mentions "external 3G" and "external GPS" but includes a GPS antenna in the package. My ISP has something called "the Rocket" which looks like a USB stick. Would I have to acquire one to be on their broadband wireless network ? Similarly with the GPS. Would I have to acqire a GPS device ?

I'd appreciate any help with this as well as any comments on the specs of this tablet. Thanks.

#2 anglerdk

anglerdk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 05:58 PM

External normally means like an USB stick or bluetooth. But wait to buy one since not all models is supported/working. The to tablets I had the supported models is listed under 3G settings.

Many phones can share their Internet through wifi, also called thetering

Edited by anglerdk, 24 December 2011 - 05:59 PM.

#3 Bloggs

Bloggs

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:30 AM

I'm a total newby on the new Tablet and cell-phone technology (and struggling even with the latest IT desktop advances) although I am an old computer hacker of over 25 years. I just bought a new tablet from a chinese distributer. Awaiting delivery. No brand-name.
http://www.everbuyin...duct77855.html.

As you can see in the specs it mentions "external 3G" and "external GPS" but includes a GPS antenna in the package. My ISP has something called "the Rocket" which looks like a USB stick. Would I have to acquire one to be on their broadband wireless network ? Similarly with the GPS. Would I have to acqire a GPS device ?

I'd appreciate any help with this as well as any comments on the specs of this tablet. Thanks.

External 3G means that the 3G dongle that will be required to make and receive phone calls or receive data via the 3G network is external to the case, not built inside. It is also NOT included in the package so you would have to buy it separately. Not all dongles will work with the tablet, you should ask the seller which ones will work.
External GPS means something different! The GPS chipset is built in, but the powered antenna that the chipset needs to function is exterior to the case and plugs into a socket on the top of the tablet. It IS supplied in the package.
There is an internal wifi adapter built in to the tablet so it will be able to access a wireless access point or a wireless router without having to purchase anything else, the 'Rocket' that you refer to is probably a USB wifi dongle to convert a non-wireless laptop to a wireless laptop and is not needed for this tablet.

The battery quoted is quite low capacity..expect 3 or maybe 4 hours normal use between charges - 5 to 8 hours is too optimistic.

If it is actually Android 2.3 there will be little or no third party firmwares available

Although it lists skype, video calling won't work, only audio.

$152 is not the cheapest for these devices now.

I would have suggested you do a lot more reading before parting with your cash as there are many pitfalls associated with these Flytouch tablets, but I see you are awaiting delivery!!! I hope you enjoy it. :good: