Android Tablets Forum banner

R70F200

21K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  josh_t 
#1 ·
Hi all, I could use a little help. I've done a ton of reading but i'm still confused. I bought a Pandigital Novel tablet, it is black with one speaker like the BPDN but it is running Android 2.1 (the BPDN runs 1.5). So when I'm looking at firmware should I be looking for BPDN stuff or for the white?

Hardware version: RD101-2GB-W
Firmware version: S64F_SHST_OP21_20110920
Kernel version: 2.6.29 PDUI@ANDROID #53

Thanks in advance for the help,
Ron

#7 ·
Yes it's open platform. It has slide me sam (or something like that) lol. Ive been able to load apps from Amazon but it doesnt work with google marketplace.
I was just trying to figure out what I have. LOL
Angry birds works
It came with a youtube app that works great. I'm trying to find a netflix app from somewhere besides the marketplace.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Yes I have googled it to death. The pandigital site lists a R70f200 but doesnt give any specs and the picture they show is a diffrent tablet with a camera and 3 hard buttons at the bottom.
I found info on a r70e200 and it is supposedly a BPDN on the outside and a WPDN on the inside.

Yes i saw that netflix requires 2.2 but I honestly am still not sure what version is on my tablet. At the market on the compatibility step it shows mine as a samsung tablet running 2.1. But i have not found anything on Novel's running 2.1

To my understanding the BPDN runs 1.5 and the WPDN runs 2.0. So I don't know. lol I do know that so far I have loaded 22 apps and all of them have ran, so I am happy with my little cheap tablet. Just perturbed that I don't really know what I have exactly.

#28 ·
Thanks for clearing that up for me, I've been wondering which firmware I should install... Though I installed a black firmware and now it won't install much apps, almost the only good part about it was that it comes with an extra market, which doesn't really have much... I think I installed the jackbox firmware, or another firmware because it said that there was no way to revert back to the original firmware... Someone should really make a compatibility tester that is compatible with my device... I'm not sure what to do exactly...

#11 ·
Probably not since it sounds like it comes as an android system. Just sideload the angry birds version, which is a lite version, from Kewlguy's thread in the first post at the top of the FW development forum with the file manager. Put the app file on the SD card and double tap the file and it should ask you if you want to install it.

#12 ·
I am seeing a few posts on this tablet in the Black Novel section, but it's not.

Basically it's the black novel with more memory running 2.1 instead of 1.5. So don't install the black novel software as it would be downgrading.

I will make an unlocked flash for this soon.

Reactions: raynda
#16 ·
Terminander has posted some unlocked FW for this model in the black forum. Some work is still being done on getting the google apps and market to work. Seems like this is a pretty decent unit running android 2.1 at 800 speed with 256 memory. I saw one for $89 at my local Big Lots yesterday.

#18 ·
One of those already existed, known as the QVC "White Novel in Black Clothing". However, it looked exactly the same as the WPDN (see picture in the WIKI) other than color and came with 2.0, this one is shipping with 2.1. I wonder if someone could modify the FW to flash on the WPDN?

#20 ·
Hi everyone, great forum here

I picked up one of the R70F200 units at Big Lots a couple weeks ago. As said it is running 2.1. I was curious about the possible internal micro SD card options, so took it apart - very easy, 4 screws, 1 in each corner just use a toothpick to remove the tiny foam covers then with your fingernails or a guitar pick work your way around the seam and it pops open.

Inside, this thing looks nothing like the white PDN pics I've seen. And unfortunately, I can find no removeable micro-SD card. There are three tin-shielded sections on the board and I even looked in them

Overall...it's ok. Basically a large smartphone less phone capabilities. Not sure what to expect as far as battery life...I run iheartradio (newest version) with screen "always on" and I'm only getting 1.5-2 hrs which is somewhat disappointing. Now it's suddenly giving low space problems and crashing, I've only installed maybe 6 apps. Seems to be after iheartradio is run for awhile...maybe a caching problem? One other odd issue...it won't boot with anything plugged into the headphone jack.

Gonna play with it a while. Not expecting it to be an ipad, but at least expecting it to work half-decent.

#24 ·
I run iheartradio (newest version) with screen "always on" and I'm only getting 1.5-2 hrs which is somewhat disappointing. \
I would say...when I first got my WPDN, I ran a test and played a movie on it continuously for 5+ hours before the battery died. I regularly use mine to play Pandora connected to my stereo and easily get 6+ hours (Screen off after timeout).

#22 ·
I also picked up a bbpn over the weekend, and am really glad i found this thread, im really looking forward to all the potential this little unit has. Its been a rollercoaster reading that i had the black one i thought that was inferior And instead i find its just as good!!
Look forward to many posts from every1
Thanks x1000000 to everyone
-zakaos
Ps this device was perfectly capable of typing this post.

#27 ·
i have all the same version numbers on my unit, and i'm kind of wondering the same thing about where to look for what's available. the one thing i can say is i was able to gain root access on this stock ROM by simply downloading, installing and running Z4root
what i'm not sure of is what custom ROMs may be available...

#29 ·
I'm sort of stuck as well. Ive got an r70f200. Matches the same description as the normal black ones but with more ram (256 vs 128), faster cpu(800 vs 533?), and originally having 2.1 (not totally sure on that one as i bought it 2nd hand). This is an oddball one as it seems to not accept WPDN FW's, even though the hardware would otherwise be capable of running them. I do have Terminander's rooted GAPPS FW on it already, but its just 2.1 rooted. I just know for sure that we do have the above listed specs and apparently the update filenames are different (s64 type vs shxx type) are what keeps us from updating with the WPDN FWs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.