R70F200

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 ron69

ron69

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

Hi all, I could use a little help. I've done a ton of reading but i'm still confused. I bought a Pandigital Novel tablet, it is black with one speaker like the BPDN but it is running Android 2.1 (the BPDN runs 1.5). So when I'm looking at firmware should I be looking for BPDN stuff or for the white?

Hardware version: RD101-2GB-W
Firmware version: S64F_SHST_OP21_20110920
Kernel version: 2.6.29 PDUI@ANDROID #53

Thanks in advance for the help,
Ron

#2 panengineer

panengineer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 07:59 PM

Hi all, I could use a little help. I've done a ton of reading but i'm still confused. I bought a Pandigital Novel tablet, it is black with one speaker like the BPDN but it is running Android 2.1 (the BPDN runs 1.5). So when I'm looking at firmware should I be looking for BPDN stuff or for the white?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Ron

How do you know it is running android 2.1 as the white novel only comes with 2.0. What does it say in about device for the model number and build number? The WPDN kernal version is 2.6.29.

#3 ron69

ron69

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:35 PM

When I went to download some new apps and the compatability test ran and reported it as being Android 2.1
Where do I find about device? The closest I found was About eReader, and thats where I listed all the specs above from. The only other thing there is Adobe RMSDK:9.1.0 and Serila Number: 7013011011110138

Edited by ron69, 21 December 2011 - 11:37 PM.

#4 bac522

bac522

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 06:48 AM

What does the Build Number field say? settings>About Device

#5 ron69

ron69

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

I do not see about-device. I see setting - About eReader. That's where I got :

Adobe RMSDK:9.1.0
Serial Number: 7013011011110138

But I do not see Build Number.
  • raynda and nanushki like this

#6 panengineer

panengineer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:12 AM

You are already running as good of android as any of the stable roms for the WPDN, is it an open platform FW? In other words can you download apps from market, slideme, or sideload them?

There are some alpha and beta froyo, gingerbread, honeycomb, and even ICS roms being worked on from time to time for the WPDN, but not everything works in them.

Edited by panengineer, 22 December 2011 - 11:13 AM.

#7 ron69

ron69

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:28 AM

Yes it's open platform. It has slide me sam (or something like that) lol. Ive been able to load apps from Amazon but it doesnt work with google marketplace.
I was just trying to figure out what I have. LOL
Angry birds works :) It came with a youtube app that works great. I'm trying to find a netflix app from somewhere besides the marketplace.

#8 panengineer

panengineer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 11:32 AM

I believe the netflix app only works on froyo android 2.2 and above according to market.

Have you googled it to see if anyone else has a forum supporting it. I have not gone to the main board here much to see what else is being discussed there.

#9 ron69

ron69

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:59 PM

Yes I have googled it to death. The pandigital site lists a R70f200 but doesnt give any specs and the picture they show is a diffrent tablet with a camera and 3 hard buttons at the bottom.
I found info on a r70e200 and it is supposedly a BPDN on the outside and a WPDN on the inside.

Yes i saw that netflix requires 2.2 but I honestly am still not sure what version is on my tablet. At the market on the compatibility step it shows mine as a samsung tablet running 2.1. But i have not found anything on Novel's running 2.1

To my understanding the BPDN runs 1.5 and the WPDN runs 2.0. So I don't know. lol I do know that so far I have loaded 22 apps and all of them have ran, so I am happy with my little cheap tablet. Just perturbed that I don't really know what I have exactly.

Edited by ron69, 22 December 2011 - 03:00 PM.

• raynda likes this

#10 mtcarney

mtcarney

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:18 AM

Help!!!

Do I need to root to install and operate angry birds-- even if only lite version?
Need it fore Christmas-- Today!

R70F200:
Kernel 2.6.29
Firmware S64F_SHST_OP21_PD_20110310A
Hardware RD101-2GB-W
ANDROID 2.1

THANK YOU ANYONE$ for your help!

#11 panengineer

panengineer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 11:34 AM

Probably not since it sounds like it comes as an android system. Just sideload the angry birds version, which is a lite version, from Kewlguy's thread in the first post at the top of the FW development forum with the file manager. Put the app file on the SD card and double tap the file and it should ask you if you want to install it.

#12 terminander

terminander

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 784 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 12:10 PM

I am seeing a few posts on this tablet in the Black Novel section, but it's not.

Basically it's the black novel with more memory running 2.1 instead of 1.5. So don't install the black novel software as it would be downgrading.

I will make an unlocked flash for this soon.
  • raynda likes this
Live is not the breath you take, but the moments that take you breath away. Country singer George Strait

#13 panengineer

panengineer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 03:14 PM

I am seeing a few posts on this tablet in the Black Novel section, but it's not.

Basically it's the black novel with more memory running 2.1 instead of 1.5. So don't install the black novel software as it would be downgrading.

Thanks for taking on the job, terminander.

#14 ron69

ron69

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 09:29 PM

Yeah I was a bit confused on wether to post in the WPDN section or the BPDN section.

The angry birds lite in Kewlguy's thread works good, not perfect but playable.

#15 Jon Chance

Jon Chance

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:22 AM

I have the same bpdn
Android 2.1 using the naming conventions of the flash and the compatibility of the apps gathered from slideme sam.

S64F_SHST_OP21_PD_20110920
the cpu s3c6410 is running at 800 mhz
from what I have found , there is a internal 2gb sd card judging from the mounts

# # mount
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / ext3 rw,noatime,errors=continue,data=ordered 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=600 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw 0 0
tmpfs /sqlite_stmt_journals tmpfs rw,size=4096k 0 0
/dev/block//vold/179:3 /system/media/sdcard vfat rw,dirsync,nosuid,nodev,noexec,uid=1000,gid=1000,fmask=0000,dmask=0000,allow_utime=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,utf8,errors=remount-ro 0 0

#

The external sd card mounts at /sdcard

I hope this helps

Jonathan Chance
"Big Brother in the form of an increasingly powerful government and in
an increasingly powerful private sector will pile the records high with
reasons why privacy should give way to national security, to law and
order [...] and the like." - Justice William O. Douglas

#16 panengineer

panengineer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 01:24 PM

Terminander has posted some unlocked FW for this model in the black forum. Some work is still being done on getting the google apps and market to work. Seems like this is a pretty decent unit running android 2.1 at 800 speed with 256 memory. I saw one for $89 at my local Big Lots yesterday.

#17 bac522

bac522

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

Great a Black PDN that's actually running the same version as the WPDN...that should add to the confusion some more...LOL!

Edited by bac522, 30 December 2011 - 08:29 PM.

#18 panengineer

panengineer

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:02 PM

Great a Black PDN that's actually running the same version as the WPDN...that should add to the confusion some more...LOL!

One of those already existed, known as the QVC "White Novel in Black Clothing". However, it looked exactly the same as the WPDN (see picture in the WIKI) other than color and came with 2.0, this one is shipping with 2.1. I wonder if someone could modify the FW to flash on the WPDN?

#19 Longjohn119

Longjohn119

Anonymous

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 12:09 AM

One of those already existed, known as the QVC "White Novel in Black Clothing". However, it looked exactly the same as the WPDN (see picture in the WIKI) other than color and came with 2.0, this one is shipping with 2.1. I wonder if someone could modify the FW to flash on the WPDN?

Looks like the kernel may have been modified/updated as it's signed differently ... Could be fixes for the WiFi issues the WPDN has

My question is it still using the same WiFi card and sound chip?

It could be a drop in replacement kernel for the WPDN and it may even fix some issues people have with getting newer versions of Android going

#20 SwamperGene

SwamperGene

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 10:18 AM

Hi everyone, great forum here :good:

I picked up one of the R70F200 units at Big Lots a couple weeks ago. As said it is running 2.1. I was curious about the possible internal micro SD card options, so took it apart - very easy, 4 screws, 1 in each corner just use a toothpick to remove the tiny foam covers then with your fingernails or a guitar pick work your way around the seam and it pops open.

Inside, this thing looks nothing like the white PDN pics I've seen. And unfortunately, I can find no removeable micro-SD card. There are three tin-shielded sections on the board and I even looked in them :(

Overall...it's ok. Basically a large smartphone less phone capabilities. Not sure what to expect as far as battery life...I run iheartradio (newest version) with screen "always on" and I'm only getting 1.5-2 hrs which is somewhat disappointing. Now it's suddenly giving low space problems and crashing, I've only installed maybe 6 apps. Seems to be after iheartradio is run for awhile...maybe a caching problem? One other odd issue...it won't boot with anything plugged into the headphone jack.

Gonna play with it a while. Not expecting it to be an ipad, but at least expecting it to work half-decent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users