111 replies to this topic

#81 Mr. Dropad

Mr. Dropad

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:05 AM

MY Review:

Update to my review:

I am able now to connect to either AT & T or T Mobile USA sim. The problem is the radio in this unit is very weak reception. I have very good signal on my small cell phone using same SIM, but no connection with Tablet. I must travel around the city to find a connection.

That said, there is still no 3G for these USA networks as I believe it is still a frequency problem. This unit uses the Europe version of the Huwaie 509 3G card inside. There are two versions and each version also has phone / audio option.

This unit DOES work for voice calls. It has the voice / audio option of the 509 3G card. I have tested it and I can make and receive calls.

Pros:

This is a nice 7 inch android 2.3 tablet. (using stock Android interface, not the "3.0 UI update Firmware that is out there from Manf. SAAYI) It has no wasted real estate around the screen. Just enough to grip it without touching the active screen area and a nice solid clicking return button on the right (or bottom) side. The launcher / desktop is very clean and efficient. The application user interface has a nice three dimensional "rolling" screen holding all your icons. Boot time is reasonable and the screen is sharp and has a very smooth touch response. The tablet tethers to your phone wifi with no modification and I find the wifi to have very good reception and always switching to the strongest connection (when I return home it switches from tether to home wifi instantly) Why tether with built in 3G? See the cons after the break. Tablet roots easily with Gingerbreak and additional ADB commands to remount SU. (See Slatedroid post) Market can be improved with many of the usual screen density mods after rooting. GPS works great with Google maps (all google apps are included in stock Firmware except Maps) navigation, but others report problems with GPS. I could not get it to work with NavFree program as it indicated "poor GPS". GPS test programs show connections but do not show "accuracy" as my Herotab c9 with similar specifications. So there may be some issue with GPS sensitivity and some applications that use it. Microphone sensitivity is great and goolge voice commands work well. Many tables have poor mics and voice commands are not that great. Camera in rear is ok, but I could not get Skype or any of the modified versions of it to connect with video though the front camera does function ok. Speaker volume is adequate, but not loud. Power supply plug connector is very solid compared to my Herotab C9 which I am afraid is going to snap off because it does not engage up to the rubber shroud. Bluetooth connected good to one out of two of my audio devices and allows file transfer as well with proper apk installed or EStrong file program included. Also connects well with OBD2 module from DX. I have installed a 16MB tf card and it reads it fine.
Cons:

First and foremost con for me is the fact that my USA Tmobile SIM would not make any connection though the tablet does read it and finds the provder (the radio is working). Perhaps the frequencies are not compatible as I understand that Tmobile in USA needs 1700 MHZ along with 2100 MHZ that is included. Others report that Rogers Wireless in Canada works fine for 3G and EDGE. I gave up an am using the tether option. Lack of a matching screen protector ( I modded a Kindle Fire which covers all of the active screen area or case is an issue for me. Battery life is pretty good if you put it to sleep (and have wifi set to sleep when screen is off) and can lasdt me most of the day with moderate intermitent use. Constant wifi use and downloading will yield only about 3-4 hours max in my opinion. Internal memory is claimed to me 4gb Nand. It is a FIXED chip on the board and not a TF card that you can upgrade as some other dropad A8 configurations.
Other Thoughts:

I bought this tab as a permanent device for my car. I found a cheap charger, a nice solid mount and wired it into my audio system. That with my little android phone and 3G monthly plan fired up on that extra phone, I have a pretty complete and reliable auto tab including large format voice activated GPS, OBD2 bluetooth interface and Torque software running, plenty of audio books and music downloaded so I can get rid of my satellite radio subscriptions that have surpassed my monthly 5 gb data plan cost.
Bottomline:

Good tablet for the money, though the built in 3G is a waste for me unless I travel to another country where the 2100 MHZ band is most prevalent. I wish there was one these of similar specs with BT and GPS android 2.3 but no built in 3G for a little less money. Compared to the Herotab C9 I bought one week before DX released this it is a bargain for $40 less, android 2.3 instead of 2.2, build quality much better and much more efficient controls and form factor. I am selling the C9 as it would only give me EDGE data in USA with T-Mobile or AT & T data Sims.

Hey there.. New to the forums and i just got my 7'' Dropad A8T with 2.3 and Wifi only no 3g from dealextreme.. I to am running the Torque app but basically just wanted this for that reason.. Does the tablet run any better with Honeycomb 3.0? I went to the saayi website to get the firmware upgrade but can't figure out how to load it.. Do i even need this upgrade? I just got this tablet 3 days ago.

Any links to a Honeycomb 3.0 upgrade? The only thing i don't like is the Market is limited.. I also plan on using the tablet for GPS... I need a GPS receiver and i'll probably use Sygic or NavFree for my navigation..

Good post.... Any help would be great.. Thanks

#82 gadg3t

gadg3t

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:32 PM

Well. This topic is out of update =) Now we maked 4.0.3 alpha1 for m7x.
GPS and GSM not working.
I have stopped all work on mods with 2.6.35.7 android 2.3

Test early alpha 4.0.3 external boot image. the link here http://nekaka.com/d/_eE_2Cu9W6
I will be happy if someone can improve it by following^

-gps work
-gsm module work
-volume keys in taskbar

Just unpack file, recover to sdcard by winimage power+menu and enjoy 4.0.3 =) :drinks:

I have used this a couple days and I am very happy with it.
I would like to burn the firmware to the internal memory though so that I can make use of a 32gb sdhc.
The way it is now, it boots from the sdcard.

Is this a fairly simple task to write this image to the internal memory?

thanks again
Always remember that you are unique. Just like everybody else.

#83 UsRbb

UsRbb

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationRussia

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:45 AM

I have used this a couple days and I am very happy with it.
I would like to burn the firmware to the internal memory though so that I can make use of a 32gb sdhc.
The way it is now, it boots from the sdcard.

Is this a fairly simple task to write this image to the internal memory?

thanks again

we are making beta now, but alpha you may use http://files.mail.ru/E99XGE
this is firmware w/o gsm, 3g and gps for the moment. Use it on your own risk.
I will place beta 4.0.3 here after some tests.
--Verba volant, scripta manent.

#84 gadg3t

gadg3t

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:04 AM

thank you!

#85 TROT84

TROT84

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

!
Hello UsRbb I install this on my dropad a8t . Works great. I have a a few.?? I know
The 3g and gps is not working yet. But my bluetooth is not working. Any ideas
Oh and also can this rom be rooted??

Keep up the great work

#86 donTablet

donTablet

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

All,

I've got the Herotab C8T/MaxQ 7X-3G.
Can you confirm in de camera does work with the new Android 4.0 firmware?

If so I will give it at try, as i'm not using the 3g and/or bluetooth.

#87 gadg3t

gadg3t

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:28 AM

!
Hello UsRbb I install this on my dropad a8t . Works great. I have a a few.?? I know
The 3g and gps is not working yet. But my bluetooth is not working. Any ideas
Oh and also can this rom be rooted??

Keep up the great work

I have an A8T and Bluetooth works fine on it with this version.

All,

I've got the Herotab C8T/MaxQ 7X-3G.
Can you confirm in de camera does work with the new Android 4.0 firmware?

If so I will give it at try, as i'm not using the 3g and/or bluetooth.

It works on my A8T.

#88 TROT84

TROT84

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

Are you two using.the one that boots from the extsd or the one that flashes to the tablet?

#89 gadg3t

gadg3t

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

I have used both.
I am presently using the version that USRBB posted that writes to the tablet's internal memory.

For me, (I do not have the A8T w/ 3G) it works very well.

#90 donTablet

donTablet

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:41 AM

All,

just used the latest firmware on my MaxQ X7-3G with android 4.0.3 and it works perfect.
Although I did not test 3G and my Iphone seemed not to be able to connect to the tablet (said it tablet was not supported).

Finally we are having Android 4 on our tablet!

Thank you for the hard work.

Best Regards,
Bruno

#91 epix

epix

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

USRBB release new firmware? omg , i cant believe this. ehehe. Must try it. All USRBB works are great.

Edited by epix, 10 May 2012 - 11:31 AM.

#92 donTablet

donTablet

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:33 AM

Overall the firmware is very stable although I had a few crashes, including a sound crash when playing the game "move the box".

#93 kromanstl

kromanstl

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis MO

Posted 13 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

the only problem i have with this rom is the wifi keeps disconnecting after i lock the screen i tried to change the wifi sleep policy and it still cuts off other then the rom works great thanks. also the camera works on my tab dropad a8t

#94 kromanstl

kromanstl

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSaint Louis MO

Posted 13 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

i have another problem i cant access root so i can reinstall my apps from titanium backup

#95 epix

epix

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 11:51 AM

After trying URSBB 4.0 , i think it not fully stable . because, sometimes when i restart my tablet, it hang on the mid screen :(

Edited by epix, 15 May 2012 - 11:39 PM.

#96 epix

epix

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:43 AM

have any new firmware for our beloved tablet??

#97 alests

alests

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Still waiting for a new firmware also :p I guess we need an A8T forum aswell?

btw wich A8T ur guys got?

http://www.dealextre...-a8-1ghz-109740

or

http://dx.com/p/drop...b-110465?item=3

I got the second one and stil doesnt know how to safe root/flash this device.

#98 luis.incra

luis.incra

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

Good morning everyone, I would like to ask help from everyone and in also for usrbb.
I have a problem that perhaps it not to hard to fix it...
The problem is that all the gingerbread android 2.3 firmware I tested does not conect wiifi, and I tested all (Gepadmode, A8T-Haipad M7X from SergioPoverony, 20111102 Root, Lite 201 201 121 800, Official 20111117, Official Root + Apps, UsRbb Mod v.1 and v2, All A8T WiFi and A8T).
My dropad a8t reconize my wifi internet but it does not connects with it
My Rooter is a D-Link - DI-524-150Mbps
The most interesting thing is that the ICS Android firmware 4.0.3 (New 4.0 SergioPoverony, Perecsmart) and Honeycomb Android 3.0 UI connects normally without any problem.
The fact is that I do not want to use the Android 4.0.3 ICS because I think it slow, it has no root and a lot of applications and games that I like do not work on ICS.

So what i want to know is:

- Is there a way I can setup internet tablet dropad a8t on android Gingerbread 2.3 to make work my internet (Rooter D-Link - DI-524-150Mbps) Please someone teach me ....

- Or is there i way to make a root in Android 3.0 Honeycomb UI?

Someone wrote something like that in another forum...

- Use the M7S_20111117.rar firmware (BTW it's *not* 3.0 android but 2.3 with 3.0 UI) and basically followed the instructions found on this site.
- Unrared it to a VFAT formatted microSD. Unpacked utv210_root.tgz to an etx2/3/4 filesytem to preserve permissions. In default.prop changed ro.secure=1 to 0 and ro.debuggable=0 to 1.
- Rebuild the tar with tar cfz (be careful, preserve the same directory hierarchy, so change to the directory where you unpacked the stuff and do a "tar cfz /tmp/utv210_root.tgz *") and copy it on the microSD in place of the old one.
-Now flash the thing. When you connect with adb shell (found in official android SDK) via USB (connect the USB OTG port to the PC of course) check with "id" that you have UID/GID 0/0.
- For permanent root just download su-2.3.6.1-ef-signed.zip from Superuser official site and substitute the su file found there in place of /system/bin/su. Important: rename or delete the su link that you find in /system/busybox/bin otherwise it won't work with a "cannot find /etc/passwd". Just install Superuser.apk and you are 100% done.

It is possible to do this way?

If yes, is there someone who could teach me how to use compression tgz (pack and unpack) and what about preserving permissions and preserve the same directory hierarchy. i don´t know much about android.

Sorry for my poor English...

Thanks for the attention.

Luis

#99 jiggykillauk

jiggykillauk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 237 posts
  • LocationLondon UK

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:57 AM

Still waiting for a new firmware also :p I guess we need an A8T forum aswell?

btw wich A8T ur guys got?

http://www.dealextre...-a8-1ghz-109740

or

http://dx.com/p/drop...b-110465?item=3

I got the second one and stil doesnt know how to safe root/flash this device.

I've got the 2nd one and i'm very impressed with it. I bought mine from pandawill. After replacing the stock ROM and rooting it, it's almost perfect if I can figure out the Gps.

Edited by jiggykillauk, 09 June 2012 - 05:57 AM.

Tablet C8 Running Tsunami v1.9- Almost retired
My Novo7 Aurora arrived from China today 23/2/12!!!-Sold

My C8t/A8T arrived from China on wed 6/6/12- close to retiring
My Aurora II was PURCHASED in the UK

Sony Tablet S {4.03r5a}

#100 alests

alests

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 11:17 PM

All,

just used the latest firmware on my MaxQ X7-3G with android 4.0.3 and it works perfect.
Although I did not test 3G and my Iphone seemed not to be able to connect to the tablet (said it tablet was not supported).

Finally we are having Android 4 on our tablet!

Thank you for the hard work.

Best Regards,
Bruno

Do you have android 4.0 with 3g/bt and call enabled? Tell us more about it

I've got the 2nd one and i'm very impressed with it. I bought mine from pandawill. After replacing the stock ROM and rooting it, it's almost perfect if I can figure out the Gps.

Do you have working wifi/3g/bluetooth/calls? Could you please explain (or give me a link) with a how-to? I kinda found too many threads doing different things and honetly i dont want to brick my tab :p

Edited by alests, 10 June 2012 - 11:21 PM.