Making Market work on Velocity Micro Cruz T103, T104, T105, T301

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 chrispickens3

chrispickens3

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 12:53 PM

First of all I just want to say hello to everyone on Slatedroid. I found this forum a few weeks ago when I was researching for a tablet to purchase for my daughters for Christmas. They are 10 & 8, and I also have a 7 yr old son. I finally decided on purchasing a Velocity Micro Cruz T104 from Sears for $99. My mother works for Sears Holdings so we were able to use her discount & got the tablet for 20% off, and she also purchased the extended protection plan for it. I purchased a T301 for my 10 yr old on walmart.com the other day for $99, but it won't be here til next week. After working with a friend(goochbuntu) that I met through one of these forums, we were able to get the Market working flawlessly on the T104. I used the instructions from his website, and I added a little bit to it to create a guide on how we were able to do it. I just wanted to share it with everyone in hopes that it will at least give you a starting point & possibly help you achieve what you are wanting to do with your device. Please feel free to add any comments or change any of the instructions to help others understand better. Please keep in mind that I am no programmer by any means. I'm just a newbie & father who wanted something cool to give his kids for Christmas, but anyway...here ya go:

Updating your device
To update your device to Android 2.2 you will need to download the following file(If you have already updated your device, skip down to the “Once Updated” section):
http://cruzsupport.v...?questionID=844 T10x series
http://cruzsupport.v...?questionID=861 T301

You will need to put the update.zip on an SD card and boot while holding down the volume up key to start the update (power+volume up gets you into recovery).
My device never worked with this^ method so here is another way of doing it:

Extract the http://goochbuntu.co...wnloads/ADB.zip (adb.zip) file to the c: drive & have the drivers installed, but if you have those downloads in place here are the commands to get into recovery from command prompt(to get to command prompt either search “command prompt” under the start menu or press the window key & r simultaneously then type cmd in the run window that pops up):

cd..
<enter>

cd..
<enter>

cd ADB
<enter>

adb devices
<enter>
(You should see the device listed now)

adb reboot recovery
<enter>
Once updated

Open command prompt again

cd..
<enter>

cd..
<enter>

cd ADB
<enter>

adb devices
<enter>
(You should see the device listed now)

adb shell
<enter>

you should see # now
type(or copy and paste)

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
<enter>

cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su
<enter>

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
<enter>

sync
<enter>

REMOVE BLOAT SYSTEM APPS

This removes all the bloatware that comes with the device and leaves you with plenty of free space in /system/app which is required for the following step. Make sure the # is still there before entering the following commands. If it went back to ADB, just type adb shell again and press enter. This should give you the #.
(Look through this list before you remove these. There might be something you would prefer to leave, such as solitaire. You can always download another one from the market once you’re finished.)

rm /system/app/com.anddoes.fancywidget-1.apk

rm /system/app/com.workpail.inkpad.notepad.notes.apk

rm /system/app/CruzMarket.apk

rm /system/app/CruzSync-release-2010-07-10.apk

rm /system/app/CruzUserGuide.apk

rm /system/app/DreyeForAndroidTablet.apk

rm /system/app/ebuddy-android-live-20100720.apk

rm /system/app/facebook-mobile-v1.1.apk

rm /system/app/LiveWallpapers.apk

rm /system/app/LiveWallpapersPicker.apk

rm /system/app/MobileSudokuFree.apk

rm /system/app/Napster-Phone-1544-vmicro.apk

rm /system/app/OfficeSuite_Full_1.5_282.apk

rm /system/app/Solitaire_1.12.1.apk

rm /system/app/Term.apk

rm /system/app/TwidroydFree344-final-rev1.apk

rm /system/app/UerWallpapers.apk

sync

PUSHING MARKET AND OTHER SYSTEM APPS

Keep in mind...I have a t104 and this still worked for me even though it says t301

t301 download zip
http://goochbuntu.co...nloads/t301.zip
(this also contains the driver if you need to install it)
extract this file c:\t301\
Let's get started!

adb push c:\t301\GoogleServicesFramework.apk /system/app/GoogleServicesFramework.apk

adb push c:\t301\gtalkservice.apk /system/app/gtalkservice.apk

adb push c:\t301\bootanimation.zip /system/media/

adb push c:\t301\Vending.apk /system/app/Vending.apk

adb reboot

Installing simple apps using adb not required to making market work(FYI)

To install an app with out having to download it from the market, and you have it on your computer as an .apk file, just move it to the t301 folder you created on your c: drive then type

adb install c:\t301\the_name_of_your_apk_goes_here.apk
& it should install

Side note

If you ever need to remove or add system apps & you have ran the following commands:

mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
<enter>

cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su
<enter>

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
<enter>

you can now give your self write permissions faster by just typing this as soon as you bring up the command prompt:

cd ..
cd ..
cd ADB
adb remount

these commands will allow you to push to your device.

Edited by chrispickens3, 03 December 2011 - 01:17 PM.

#2 devol87

devol87

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:09 AM

my computer can't find the driver for my device. where can i locate it?

#3 Tech Ninja

Tech Ninja

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 02:50 AM

I just bought a Velocity Micro Cruz Reader R103 7" Android Tablet for my daughter for Christmas. I'll use this info to get it setup for her.

Thank you for posting it.

#4 goochbuntu

goochbuntu

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 02:42 PM

i even got root working on my site i would post a link but slatedroid will remove the link to my website

#5 Fershlugg

Fershlugg

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:40 PM

my computer can't find the driver for my device. where can i locate it?

http://cruzsupport.v...-the-ADB-Driver

#6 kmell

kmell

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:28 PM

I rooted my T103 a few days ago and have been trying to figure out how get the live wallpapers back thought it worked but the option is not listed. So would this work then:

adb shell mount -o rw,remount -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock3 /system
adb shell cat /system/bin/sh > /system/bin/su
adb shell chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
adb remount
adb push LiveWallpapers.apk /system/app/LiveWallpapers.apk
adb push LiveWallpapersPicker.apk /system/app/LiveWallpapersPicker.apk
adb shell sync
adb reboot

Thanks, lots of great info here, just getting into Android and have learned quite a bit already.

#7 lxskllr

lxskllr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:47 PM

I rooted my T103 a few days ago and have been trying to figure out how get the live wallpapers back thought it worked but the option is not listed. So would this work then:

adb remount
adb shell sync
adb reboot

Thanks, lots of great info here, just getting into Android and have learned quite a bit already.

Did you backup the .apks? Those have to be in your working directory to be able to push them to the tablet.

Posted Image

#8 kmell

kmell

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 08:52 PM

Well lets say I got a little too hasty and didnt take the time to do that, thinking that I would be able to get them back easily. I did download them since then and they are in the working directory.

#9 lxskllr

lxskllr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:04 PM

Hmm... What you have looks right. Are the file names correct, including CaSe? Did you maybe get different files when you downloaded them.?

Posted Image

#10 kmell

kmell

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

I will give it a try again. Previously I tried it without

adb remount

thinking that was only needed to root it the first time. Learning here, so to push apks those lines are needed everytime. I will give it a shot and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

#11 lxskllr

lxskllr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:27 PM

I'm new at this myself. I just pushed a small unit conversion app, and here's the steps I took...

adb remount
adb push UnitsConvert_1.0.5.apk /system/app/UnitsConvert_1.0.5.apk
adb reboot

The app is now installed

Edited by lxskllr, 13 December 2011 - 09:28 PM.

Posted Image

#12 kmell

kmell

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

Hmm, so once it is rooted using the following, it is always rooted and you dont need to run these lines again?

I should be able to do this then, similar to what you did.
adb remount
adb reboot

Thought that was what I tried, maybe not.
I want to keep trying but I am afraid that I will destroy the thing.

#13 kmell

kmell

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:56 PM

Just tried:
adb remount
adb reboot

No luck, wonder if it is not the correct apk, maybe I should try something else. Can you post a link to UnitsConvert_1.0.5.apk, if its a free one? That is a converter for temp, measurement etc, right?

#14 lxskllr

lxskllr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:04 PM

I didn't say anything about the root before cause I wasn't sure. I didn't think it was necessary, but it doesn't hurt either. If it isn't working, you need to find out why. Try installing the apps as a regular user from within the tablet. Maybe the ones you downloaded are corrupt, or incompatible for some reason. Here's the wallpaper apps from my system. These are the as-shipped apps it came with...

http://ubuntuone.com...EQPuziBlsAOeceh

Edit:
Here's the unit conversion app
http://ubuntuone.com...3sITwCvR3DCdIdF

Edited by lxskllr, 13 December 2011 - 10:08 PM.

Posted Image

#15 kmell

kmell

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:18 PM

Oh you da man, that was the issue, the one i grabbed must not have been compatible. Hey good learning experience. Thanks for the help. I have another question but I will let that one go for now.

#16 the720k

the720k

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 11:57 PM

Very nice of your friend to package all those files and host them, and very nice of you to make a simplified write-up. Kudos! I did this to mine the day that 2.2 became available, but I just might snatch up those files in case I ever want to quickly start my tablet over from scratch without hunting down all the files again.

Sent from my T104 using Tapatalk
Posted Image

#17 the720k

the720k

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:03 AM

Oh you da man, that was the issue, the one i grabbed must not have been compatible. Hey good learning experience. Thanks for the help. I have another question but I will let that one go for now.

I found that an easier/quicker way to install your APKs is to place them on an SD card from your computer and then browse to them on the tablet using Astro file manager or Root Explorer. Much more efficient that way, IMHO. I always keep a folder named "APK" on my SD card and store all my goodies there. Another plus to that is that you can then put that SD card in any other Android device you may have and quickly install them from there. Just my .0002 cents.

Sent from my T104 using Tapatalk
Posted Image

#18 kmell

kmell

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:52 AM

Thats great info there, I will be giving that a try next. Sounds much easier than tethering and could do that from anywhere, awesome! I wish I had backed everything up first. I have a few more tablets for gifts that I need to root so I will back them up first. Yeah lxskllr's help is much appreciated, yours too!

#19 billgod

billgod

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for the tips.. getting a 404 error on the downloading the apps.. does anyone else have a mirror? I have tried to look other places but cannot seem to find any that work properly.

Thanks

#20 lxskllr

lxskllr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 08:45 PM

Thanks for the tips.. getting a 404 error on the downloading the apps.. does anyone else have a mirror? I have tried to look other places but cannot seem to find any that work properly.

Thanks

http://ubuntuone.com...sRNtfDLq6FxpmCs

Posted Image