Android Tablets Forum banner

Kernel source - my latest fun conversation with pandigital

14K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  x1raptor 
#1 ·
I transcribed my phone call to pandigital this afternoon for your reading pleasure:

Hello thank you for calling pandigital can I get your name and product serial number please

sure *gave it to them

So what can I do for you today sir?

Hello I need the linux kernel source code that shipped on this device

I'm sorry can you say that again

*again

I don't think we're able to provide that because it is third party hold on a moment let me check

*on hold

we can't provide you with that source code you will have to contact linux

Um linux is not an entity that can be contacted.
you modified the source code to fit this device otherwise it would not work at all, you then distributed it which means you are legally obligated to provide the source code otherwise it would be illegal for you to sell these products.

Hold on just give me one more minute
*on hold

OK I can give you a link to the open platform kit this is all we are obligated by law to provide it will void your warranty though it's
pandigital.net/?pageid=335

Does this contain the kernel source code?
No it's the android source code it's all we are obligated by law to provide

you distributed the linux kernel and modified it you are obligated to release the source.

No sir

may I speak with your manager?

Yes you can hold one moment.

Hello are you still there sir my name is BLEEP I'm the manager

Yes I'm looking for the linux kernel source code that shipped on the white pandigital novel

The only thing we are required legally to distribute is the open platform kit which can be found at www.pandigital.net/?pageid=335

No you are legally required to release the source code to the linux kernel which you modified and distributed according to the terms of the gpl v2 under which it was made available to your company.

I think that's on that page, let me get your email so that I can have my tech guys get back to you. They may not be able to reach you until monday.

OK that's fine. So what exactly is on that url you gave me is it the android source code or the linux kernel source code?

I think it's both you can get everything off the device via adb the android debugging bridge

That sounds like a rom to me I do know what adb is

It is a rom

Then how is it source code?

I'm not sure let me have my tech guys email you

OK well listen this source code has been requested from you guys sine 2010 and I'm just asking for your company to do what's morally ethically and legally correct here you know a lot of people work on this software for free and put a lot of time into it including myself.

I understand let me get my guys to get a hold of you and we'll figure this out. As far as I know the only thing we are legally required to release on request is the open platform kit - giving you that url does void your warranty though.

Giving me the URL voids my warranty? How so? You know what I don't care about my warranty - I just want the source code to the linux kernel - do whats right. I'll be expecting that email and I look forward to talking to you again.
-Seriously

#3 ·
Lol - they'll never release source code more than likely they paid some chinese company to do the work and never even received the source code. They are certainly not legally required to release their op rom - it seems like a distraction they've been trained to bring up. I simply don't understand why it is so hard for these companies to follow the gpl - they receive software for free to sell as a package with their products - the only stipulation is for them to share their modifications to the source code. I don't know why it's so scary for them.

#8 ·
Is there any legitimate reason for PD to not release source code? I don't do programming, nor do I see any benefit to them releasing the kernels/source.

Someone help me out with this, perhaps if you can let them see that you are only trying to help those who purchased their product they would be more likely to do so.

#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
Is there any legitimate reason for PD to not release source code?
Actually yes from a technical support reason. Releasing the source code would allow all kinds of custom ROM's, which is fine, but then you get newbies installing these custom ROM's and bricking the unit, in which case guess who the clueless newbie calls first? Yup, PD's technical support and before too long you've got tech support being flooded with calls regarding bricked PDN's due to custom ROM's.

Sure you can put something in the warranty about it being nullified if the ROM is modified, but who actually reads the warranty's fine print? And when you tell the clueless newbie you're not going to support him/her because they violated the warranty, all you end up doing is pissing off the customer.

#11 ·
I got a similar email - I didn't bother to call.

Thank you for contacting Pandigital Customer Support regarding a download for the Kernel Source Code. We don't have this available any where for download.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you. If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to call our support line at 1-800-715-5354. Our support hours are Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 6:00 pm Central Time and Saturday 9:00 am - 3:00 pm Central Time.

#12 ·
I actually first research a device and its development community before I buy an android device.

However, because Pandigital hasn't released source code, development has slowed to a crawl. Randomblame is fighting a horrible battle trying to compile something that works. The kernel source code would probably solve most of the problems he's run into.

So no, I'm not going to buy another Pandigital anything because of their run-around on the kernel source. Sony Ericsson were reviled by the android community because of their updates of the x10, and they've improved their reputation by releasing android updates and consistently putting out their updated kernel source.

It doesn't solve EVERYTHING - but it shows an attitude to at least work with us on this.

#17 ·
The source is available to them and anyone else who wants it they will not update these devices officially even if I did all the work for them it would still cost them money in retraining the morons they have in customer support. My build will never be fully working without a new kernel. Apparently the eff has bigger fish to fry. I think sopa has them a bit busy at the moment.

#20 ·
Here here. HTC seems to have finally come around a bit more. They've been unlocking bootloaders and releasing more kernel sources. For quite awhile they hinged on one word in the GPL... timely. The source modifications must be and indeed are released, but on HTCs interpretation of "timely." Forget fine print. If you've voided your warranty, you've voided your warranty. Send them back to this forum for support. The kernel source modifications are REQUIRED and if you already voided your warranty, they don't need to field calls on the subject, but they do have to release any modified code. And big guns blocking the sale might scare them, but filing a class-action suit will make them crap their pants (probably drive them out of business). Start a thread outlining such and get users to (electronically) sign a petition threatening such action, and they will do something... Guaranteed.
That's how the lil HTC Wildfire S got on a bootloader unlock list at HTC courtesy of xda.

Rob

Sent from my HTC_A510c using Tapatalk

#22 ·
What irks me is all these Corporate Buttheads want to throw teenagers in prison for downloading a couple of 99 cent songs for free while turning a blind eye to their own THEFT of Intellectual Property of the Open Source Community worth millions and millions in profits ....

Even if they could get Microsoft to license Window Mobile for 5 bucks a pop (And I bet it's a lot more than that) and they sell a million units, that's 10 million in extra profits for them ....

In my eyes a 10 million dollar theft deserves a little prison time while a 99 cent song or even a $19,95 movie certainly doesn't ...

Screw SOPA and screw Corporate thievery by corporations like Pandigital .....

#23 ·
i'ts just of matter of time,look at google,and that one judge that blocked the samsung galaxy tabs in germany,just a matter of time,all andriod will be OP souce with kernel,It's politics now,I think its because if every andriod maker releasesd source code,It would run apple out of bisness so fast,it would make apples' people and politicans heads spin,two times over,but it it is going to happen eventually,Now germany is wanting our type of tabs,andriod,theyell get that judge out of his seat,put a younger judge there,that owns a andriod device,shit will hit the fan,now apple trying to sue htc,and everybody else around them,that's not good for apple,they are closed source,always will be,that is there demise,andriod makers are opening up,releasing source,give it time...even chinese andriod,products..they will figuire it out...

#24 ·
i e-mailed this to gpl-violators, fsg.org... thanks to all that contributed.

Hello, my name is xxxx xxxx and I need the linux kernel source code that shipped on this device. Pandigital modified the source code to fit this device otherwise it would not work at all, you then distributed it which means you are legally obligated to provide the source code otherwise it would be illegal for you to sell these products. According to GNU GPL Version 2 included on the device which covers /kernel, you are required by this license to release the source code for the data you modified to fit this device. Its the original intention of all the developers who have worked on this code that all users have access to all the code whether it be in source or after it was modified to remain unrestricted, which is clearly stated on previously stated license. By not releasing the source code as required by the GPL means you are breaking the law. If you're not very well informed as to your rights and obligations when using this license you can get well informed by visiting http://gpl-violations.org/faq/sourcecode-faq.html. I trust that you will do what is right and stop breaking the the law by releasing the source code. If the source is not released as soon as possible, your company will be reported to the appropriate authorities regarding this violation. Your company will be liable for all legal expenses if you do not comply. Thank you.

#25 ·
Just wondering, how many manufacturers other than Pandigital have not released source? Any major players?

I can see the authorities going after big name brands if they didn't. Small fry like the Pandigitals and other noname brands would probably ignore legal stuff like this, safety in numbers I guess...

Cal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.