Android Tablets Forum banner

Do you know a good screen cleaner, ESPECIALLY fingerprint resistant..anyone? Bueller, Bueller.

7K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Phottoman 
#1 ·
I've yet to find a really good screen cleaner that also resists fingerprints. I've tried a number, I don't want a screen protector that I have to install because even though need to be cleaned and I've tried a number of those that people say are fingerprint resistant with no real difference. I've heard there are some cleaners/waxes that help but yet to find a good one. HELP.

Happy Holidays to all and have fun Xmas shopping.

_____Christmas Shopping joke for you_____

After being away on business for a week before Christmas, Tom thought it would be nice to bring his wife a little gift.

"How about some perfume?" he asked the cosmetics clerk.

She showed him a bottle costing $50.

"That's a bit much," said Tom, so she returned with a smaller bottle for $30.

"That's still quite a bit," Tom groused.

Growing disgusted, the clerk brought out a tiny $15 bottle.

Tom grew agitated, "What I mean," he said, "is I'd like to see something real cheap."

So the clerk handed him a mirror.

_________hehe hehe hehe________

See less See more
#4 ·
You heard right, Bob. I have been using it since right after I got mine way back when.
Tried a screen protector at first but found the tactile response and smoothness was lacking.

Read something on XDA about RainX and tried it. Never looked back.
Use it on my TouchPad too.

#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've yet to find a really good screen cleaner that also resists fingerprints. I've tried a number, I don't want a screen protector that I have to install because even though need to be cleaned and I've tried a number of those that people say are fingerprint resistant with no real difference. I've heard there are some cleaners/waxes that help but yet to find a good one. HELP.
Funny you should ask...
We were at the big gun show in Phoenix yesterday and got collared by a fast and smooth talking snake oil salesman. Was pushing something called "Optic Guard". Lens / glass / camera / etc cleaner. Did the demo thing on our glasses and my touch phone. Dang! Stuff seems to work. Clean and Very resistant to fingerprints. Bought a bottle at the low low show price of $9.95. Just tried it on the gTab and sure enough, seems to resist fingerprints. He said it should last about 24 hours on the tab or phone. Don't have any long term usage to go on but looks good so far.

Their web site is: opticguard.com
YMMV
KonRad

24 hours later and it's starting to fingerprint again. Guy said it was only good for 24 hours or so. Seems he was honest and correct. I did notice that the "touch" part of the touch screen seemed a bit more responsive after the application. Might just be me but it felt better. Again, YMMV

#10 ·
Hey, KonRad, this was quite a review of a GREAT product that I am NOT going to advertise here, but I am that "Snake Oil Salesman" and have the receipts from Crossroads Gun Shows of the West to prove it. And I would like to make a STRONG recommendation to any one that reads your review. Do your self a favor and GET A PROTECTIVE screen. It only takes one stray key or coin to forever scratch the face of your phone or droid.

During the demonstration of Optic Guard I will often clean someone's glasses, then ask if they have a smartphone. If they do I clean first the camera lens then the face of the phone, hand it back and ask them to take a picture of ANYTHING. Once they take the picture I will have them look closely at the face of the phone and point out that there probably aren't any fingerprints.

Please understand, I NEVER mentioned that this is a replacement for the protective screen, I was only showing that you could clean the screen and give it some protection, plus as you mentioned, the screen does seem to be more responsive.

And KonRad, it's been several months now since you started using Optic Guard(R). Are you still liking what you got?

Photto

#12 ·
Back to the original question, a good quality, dry micro-fiber cloth works fine.

#13 ·
Again, back to the original question, a microfiber cloth will work just as well as a 100% cotton cloth will work. But he asked about a CLEANER, not something to wipe the face with.

I only came in here because I was mentioned as a "Snake Oil Salesman" (which STILL has me smiling).

And the cloth is only half the equation, it still needs a good cleaner.

Tell you what ... if the original poster will PM me, or email me, I'll give him some cleaner and HE can tell us all what he thinks ... is THAT fair?

Photto

#15 ·
The key thing about all this is, talking of RainX and generally anything wet to be applied to an electronic device is the chance of damaging the tablet, on all the tablets I own (and yes, they all pick up fingerprints) there is a tiny gap of some sort between the screen and the case and fluid can wick through.

If it's an Apple product, once their little vapor indicator changes color, the warranty is over. They warn not to get liquids or moisture anywhere near the tablet and of course, even though their screen is glass, they warn only to use a lint free cloth and no abrasive cloth or paper towel.

Two of the three Android tablets I have at the moment have plastic screens, so constant cleaning, even with a so called "lint-free" or micro-fiber cloth will produce micro-scratches over time, even just the action of swiping with a greasy finger will do it. So, Phottoman's advice about having a protective screen is very important, especially for plastic screens.

However, I find that all the plastic screens I've applied have been annoying, it's a little like having a beautiful couch and covering it in plastic, yes, the couch will last longer, but comfort goes out the window. I like my tablets unprotected and invest in a few good microfiber clothes, once they get to the point when they don't pull the oil off the screen, they go in the washer.

If you have kids around though, go for that screen protector (hey, they're only a buck) in fact, skin the entire tablet with peelable clear vinyl (low tack).

#16 · (Edited by Moderator)
OH how I wish I could respond to this without sounding like I am commercializing here, and I will NOT do that. That said, let me put it this way, Optic Guard(R) has a two million dollar insurance policy that if it damages something it is used on, we will repair or replace it free of charge to the customer.

This is not a liquid, though it IS water based, it is a paste, and the correct usage is so small that there is no change of it getting into an Apple and changing the color code.

@dryster, If you are waiting until your microfiber cloth will no longer "pull the oil off the screen" you are waiting W-A-Y too long to throw your microfiber towel into the washer. Hey, they are so inexpensive (I almost said "cheap"), why wait that long. Get a couple more of them and use it for a few days, or one day, then use a clean one tomorrow. They are packaged for $11.50 (plus tax of course) for 23 towels of your choice of color at Sams Club and Costco. They are about 50 cents each at Dollar Stores, Dollar General and Family Dollar ... and I almost forgot, Wal*Mart carries them also.

If you wait until you can't get it to pull the oil, they are dirty enough to start scratching your tab. And after all, wasn't that the intent of this thread in the first place?

I'll still offer the original poster some Optic Guard and let's let HIM tell us what he thinks, Just email me or PM me and I'll ship you some.

Photto

(edit: I have said a couple of times I am not commercializing here, and by that I mean I have left no way to order Optic Guard(R) from me, no money talked about, and I hope I have stayed within the guidelines of the forum. As I originally posted, I only joined because I thought it was wonderful that I was being talked about with a product that actually works and works well. KonRad posted a web address where the manufacturer can be contacted, that's fine. But if it's information about the product and it's uses, that's MY ballpark. The manufacturer does not get in the "field" and service accounts like I do and she doesn't talk to as many people about the uses customers have discovered, so I only offer what 21 years of experience with Optic Guard(R) has taught me.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.