Photo

Who's still having problems with ADB (connecting to the device)?

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#61 JimboUS

JimboUS

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 01:43 PM

Having problem connecting to the White PDN.

Brand new with PDN FW.
Plug it in to the PC.
It self-installed some USB drivers.
Gives error on one of them.
The error is with the S3C6410 Android ADB device driver, it can not find the correct driver.
In its properties it has Location:  0000.001d.0007.002.000.000.000.000.000.

I installed the Android SDK to get the Android USB Driver and it was installed in the google-usb_driver directory under the Android directory in the Program Files Directory.
The ADB.EXE was installed in the platform-tools directory under the above.
This is a Vista 32 bit install.

Needless to say the google/android usb driver is not the correct one.

ADB Devices shows nothing and ADB shell gives: error device not found.

Is there another device driver for the ADB to work properly?
Is the S3C6410 Android ADB device driver a driver ONLY for Android CELL PHONES?
Does Windows think of the PDN as a phone and tries to install the S3C6410 driver?
If so should this device be disabled in the Device Manager?

Must the hacked FW be installed FIRST for the PDN to be recognized by Vista and for the ADB commands to work?

Is there a certain order that things must be done here for ADB to work properly?

Any guidance is appreciated!

#62 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:18 PM

I'm having the same problem (I believe).  My WPDN is running roebeet's latest CRUZ firmware.  I installed the USB driver from the Hack zip file, and everything seemed fine there.  However abd cannot see the device.

I think it's because I don't have "usb debugging" turned on.  Upon multiple searches, the only thing I found online was a post saying to go to Home->Menu->Applications->Development to turn it on.  I can't find anything like that on my device.  :-(

Is that what I'm doing wrong???  How do I turn it on?

Also, wrong area for this questoin, but while I'm here: most of the apk files I pulled off of my DroidX give me some kind of error when I try to use the AppInstaller to install on the PDN.  Thoughts??

Thanks everyone: you guys are wicked awesome and I've loved learning from this site!!!

#63 hillbilly

hillbilly

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:21 PM

I'm also still unable to get the Android Market to work, but I haven't really been able to try some of the hacks, becuase of the aforementioned abd problems...

#64 wheatfree

wheatfree

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:27 PM

If I'm not mistaken, usb debugging is automatically set on in the cruz mod.  In fact, I'm not sure there's an easy way to turn it off....  I can tell you that I'm running the Cruz mod, and I was able to use adb from the moment I reflashed to Cruz, so there was no need to change any settings. 

As for how I got adb running, uh, I don't remember.  Sorry.  It was a PITA, though.  I had to delete the USB drivers and reinstall with the adb driver first--and then there was something else.  I think I had to reboot windows a dozen times and offer a sacrifice to the computer gods.

#65 egs2030

egs2030

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:54 AM

First of all, thanks to all of the developers that have been so helpful on this site. I have learned a great deal here in the few months that I have had my WPDN. I was also having trouble getting ADB to work correctly. The message " ADB is not a recognized command.." would come up in the DOS window. Or if you run ADB.exe, the DOS shell would flash briefly. I was able to resolve my issue though. I'm using Win XP 32 bit. My WPDN is running stock 11-20 fw with nchntrman's individual hacks for buttons, homescreen, etc.  First I downloaded all the files found in Nate's thread on "How to Hack the Novel". I had to copy all of the USB drivers and dll's (leaving only the .apk's) to the WINDOWS/system32 folder. This is apparently where the DOS commands reside. Copying a folder like "Hack the Novel" did not work. The files had to be copied to the "root" of the system32 folder. Then everything worked and I was able to use ADB's functions. Also take note of your working directory, in the DOS shell, as this is where ADB will "pull" files to (ex. C: Documents and Settingsuser1.....). I thought this was an ugly fix. I would prefer not to touch the system32 folder. But it worked. Suggestions welcome. Hope this works for some.

#66 JimboUS

JimboUS

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 06:34 AM

Finally got ADB to work:

C:TEMPAndroidHackNovel>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
PD_Novel        device

What I did was unzip the Hack-the-Novel1.zip file that can be found here:

http://www.the-digit...-the-Novel1.zip

That zip file contains both the android_winusb.inf and the adb.exe files.
I just went to the device manager and updated the driver for the S3C6410 Android ADB device driver that had an error as I described previously below.
I pointed the search to where the files were unzipped: C:TEMPAndroidHackNovel
and the correct driver was found and now it shows a device for an Android Phone called the Android Composite ADB Interface.
The S3C6410 Android ADB device driver that had an error previously is  gone now as it was replaced by the above device.
Now the ADB commands work fine and the PDN can be seen as you can see above.  I ran the ADB command in the command prompt from within the above directory where the files were unzipped.

The Android SDK does NOT have to be installed as I did previous to this.

To properly unplug the PDN from the PC you must go to the task manager and kill the adb.exe process.

Before I did the above ADB solution, I flashed the PDN with the Roebeet Full GE v. 4 (9/23 base)and after flashed the update to that.

Now the next problem is to make the Market work.
I tapped on the Market icon, it asked me to log-in or register, I logged-in since I had a google ID, BUT now I get the "Attention A server error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen."
I have to cancel as retry does not work.

Anyone have any ideas to point me to the right direction to correct this?

All the real experts here seem to be on holiday.

Brand new with PDN FW.
Plug it in to the PC.
It self-installed some USB drivers.
Gives error on one of them.
The error is with the S3C6410 Android ADB device driver, it can not find the correct driver.
In its properties it has Location:  0000.001d.0007.002.000.000.000.000.000.

I installed the Android SDK to get the Android USB Driver and it was installed in the google-usb_driver directory under the Android directory in the Program Files Directory.
The ADB.EXE was installed in the platform-tools directory under the above.
This is a Vista 32 bit install.

Needless to say the google/android usb driver is not the correct one.

ADB Devices shows nothing and ADB shell gives: error device not found.

Is there another device driver for the ADB to work properly?
Is the S3C6410 Android ADB device driver a driver ONLY for Android CELL PHONES?
Does Windows think of the PDN as a phone and tries to install the S3C6410 driver?
If so should this device be disabled in the Device Manager?

Must the hacked FW be installed FIRST for the PDN to be recognized by Vista and for the ADB commands to work?

Is there a certain order that things must be done here for ADB to work properly?

Any guidance is appreciated!

#67 nchntrman

nchntrman

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 666 posts
  • LocationIndian Shores & Gainesville

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:32 AM

Simple ADB process that might help some people. 

If you want windows to reload drivers SOMETIMES you can plug the device into a USB HUB and windows will see it as a new device and install drivers.  When I had installed Android SDK and then went to do the PDN driver hack, One of my Windows XP machines would not load the new driver.  I plugged the novel in thru a USB hub and windows redetected it and allowed me to choose the driver (I picked the PDN modded one and ADB was finally able to work on that machine.

If you dont install the Android SDK and add the path to your computer you will get ADB not found.  A simple fix for this is to make sure that ADB .exe and the .dll files (2) are in the current directory.  Make a shortcut to your windows command (cmd.exe).  Place this shortcut in the same directory as ADB.exe and the .dlls.  Run this shortcut to get the cmd window (dos shell).  This will ensure that the current directory is the working directory.

from there typing adb.exe (commands) works fine.

#68 wheatfree

wheatfree

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

Now the next problem is to make the Market work.
I tapped on the Market icon, it asked me to log-in or register, I logged-in since I had a google ID, BUT now I get the "Attention A server error has occurred. Retry, or cancel and return to the previous screen."
I have to cancel as retry does not work.

Anyone have any ideas to point me to the right direction to correct this?

There are literally dozens of posts on this problem, and apparently, a section on it in the wiki.  I use the changing clock settings method.  Others use the 2nd ID method.  Go find one of the threads on this problem that already exist. 

#69 Mark Adams

Mark Adams

PDN Wiki Master, Speaker to n00bs

• Global Administrator
  • 2,338 posts
  • Location41.6927560 / -83.5456899

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:00 AM

Wait... Wha...??? Someone had trouble connecting to the market?  The hell you say...

Sent from my Hacked PDN TriCorder via Tapatalk

#70 JimboUS

JimboUS

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:09 PM

God.... it's like the Marines boot camp here.
You fall running on your face in the mud with your 60 lb backpack following the faintly outlined trail, and you've got to get up all by yourself and go on to climb over the 10 foot wall staring at you!!!

#71 davidr

davidr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:23 PM

If you think this is tough, try getting help from Pandigital.. or another forum.. :)

Ya got admit.. a lot of the questions are kinda like.."My car won't run.. what should I do?"

#72 Mp4

Mp4

Admin Ninja

• Administrators
  • 2,558 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 01:05 PM

I spent 3 long days getting adb to work. I think installed it like 6 times before I figured the new adb had the exe in platform -tools not like the old one which is just tools folder

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

#73 JimboUS

JimboUS

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:18 PM

Listen... the above comment was intended NOT as a complaint but to inject a bit of reality humor based on my very brief presence here.

I truly appreciate all the work done to get the WPDN to be a workable Android tablet AND retain its original e-reader functions.

The problem is, based on my experience, that there is a pirate's map here but instead of having the entire map in your hands it has been torn to pieces and you must go tracking down the individual pieces, put them together, and then you may get the pirates' treasure.

Again, based on my brief experience here, this Android tablet conversion is a very easy thing to do by any newbie if all the steps were presented logically in a sort of flow chart fashion in ONE PLACE.
All of us who benefit from these steps should be grateful to those individuals who came up with them.

So far I've been able to convert this tablet using the information I hunted down here and the last thing that remains is to get the Market to work.
If all the steps are outlined here in a flow chart fashion a newbie should be able to do this in less than an hour, probably around 30 mins.
AND all the seemingly dumb questions (like where do I plug in the key to start this car) would be avoided, drastically reducing the aggravation on ALL involved here.

Reading my posts in this forum one can see that I've tried to provide details to steps that may be confusing to a newbie.
Here is what I think should be done:

1.  Get your hands on a WHITE 7" PDN.
2.  Plug it in to your PC and it'll install all plug & play drivers EXCEPT ONE, and that's the crucial one to get ADB to work.
3.  Get this file here, unzip it in its own directory and update the device driver that was NOT properly installed.  You'll end up with the Android Phone device and its  Android Composite ADB Interface driver.  (See my post above in this thread).
4.  Get the hacked FW of your choice found in this forum.
To keep things simple and keep the original PDN interface I chose the Roebeet Full GE v. 4 and its update.

That's about it.  You now have a workable Android tablet that retains the original PanDigital interface.
It wasn't that difficult, was it???

Now, my next step is to get the Maket working and then fool around with the various apps.
  • Brazen likes this

#74 davidr

davidr

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:43 PM

fair enough.. perhaps I over-reacted..

I would encourage you (or anyone with the gift to organize and simplify) to do just what you have proposed and started doing.. post an easy to follow summary..

I am sure Mark would appreciate it and would give it a prominent place in either the wiki or stickies..

#75 JimboUS

JimboUS

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 04:55 AM

An Update here to my post above.  Here is part of it:

Reading my posts in this forum one can see that I've tried to provide details to steps that may be confusing to a newbie.
Here is what I think should be done:

1.  Get your hands on a WHITE 7" PDN.
2.  Plug it in to your PC and it'll install all plug & play drivers EXCEPT ONE, and that's the crucial one to get ADB to work.
3.  Get this file here, unzip it in its own directory and update the device driver that was NOT properly installed.  You'll end up with the Android Phone device and its  Android Composite ADB Interface driver.  (See my post above in this thread).
4.  Get the hacked FW of your choice found in this forum.
To keep things simple and keep the original PDN interface I chose the Roebeet Full GE v. 4 and its update.

That's about it.  You now have a workable Android tablet that retains the original PanDigital interface.
It wasn't that difficult, was it???

Now, my next step is to get the Maket working and then fool around with the various apps.

The WPDN finally connected to the Android Market all by itself, about 3 days after it was "enhanced" (hacked) as stated above.
I think the Market finally updated something all by itself and it worked!
I did NOT apply ANY fixes.
Perhaps Google did some beneficial update to the Market in the last 3 days???

The androidId||123456789123456789,  those 18 digits stayed the same, NOTHING changed.

I was about to follow the not ugly market fix instructions but the only thing I did was to just back up the framework using the instructions there:

Backup:

"adb pull /system/framework/framework.jar framework.jar.pdn"

I did NOT do the restore:

"adb push framework.jar.pdn /system/framework/framework.jar"

Then I just stopped and tried one more time:
I tapped on the Google Talk icon, then closed that, and then just tapped on the Market icon and it just loaded itself!

(As I stated in a previous post, after the hack I tried to go to the Market and I was asked to register or use my existing login.  I used my existing login but after that I got the server error as I said before.  I had tried several times in the past 3 days to access the Market but I always got that server error).

I was able to download several apps like yahoo finance, kindle for the android, the Google maps update, the Financial Times and a couple of others.
They all installed ok but the FT blows out after it starts and displays its photo of Shanghai and its message, but I think that this app states that it is for the Samsung Galaxy Tab, so that may be the problem.
If anyone thinks otherwise please comment.

It's great to have all these market apps at your fingertips!

Again, based on my brief experience here I think that all this confusion and frustration by the "newbies" can be avoided with some better organization.

For instance there are several hacks here, including the one I used stated above, and I think each one should have its own Wiki with its own simplified steps as I've tried to do above for the Hack that I chose.

When everything is mixed, it is next to impossible to tell if something someone else used, that failed/succeeded, is appropriate for you and if you're playing Russian Roulette with your WPDN that results in unnecessay waste of time, frustration and confusion by those who need help, and exasperation by those who are in a position to offer it.

I hope my posts help people who try to do what I did.  There is a way in the forum here to see all my posts listed together.

Again, I'm grateful to all those who contributed here!
  • Brazen likes this

#76 btech

btech

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 12:31 AM

@JimboUS:  Thanks for the USB driver information!  I'm up and running now.

#77 javawriter

javawriter

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 07:50 AM

Hi,

Hope to get pointed in the right direction. I recently hack my WPDN and flashed it with the S20 Open Platform Kit. OP_S20_09_20_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP. In order to get to this point I had to install the Android SDK and use adb. Getting SDK installed was great because I really want to do some programing using the Android operating system. I am a Java programmer by trade. Now this brings me to what I need a little help with. After the flash I am not able to use adb to remount the WPDN. The message I get is I do not have permissions. I noticed when I install an SD card I can see it via USB connection, but not the internal memory. So what am I missing here? This worked fine before the flash by the way.
I would also like to note I am really an open source kind of guy. I used Ubuntu 10.10.
On other issue I am having is getting B&N or Kindle app to connect. I keep getting network errors even though I can surf the web just fine.

Thanks
Javawriter

#78 geebekazoo

geebekazoo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • LocationNC

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:52 AM

I presume that you meant to type OP_S20_09_30_B_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP. There is no 09/20 FW on Pandigital's site.

At any rate, I think that you picked a poor FW choice by flashing that obsolete FW, which was Pandigital's first attempt at the open Android platform. If you want to continue with that FW, I suggest that you search for posts about using it and problems with it in the Firmware/Development area of this board.

If you want to use working OP firmware, I would suggest that you flash KewlGuy's version of the SH20_20110302_K_PD_INX7E_ENG_6410POP firmware, along with his other patches. That is light years ahead of the OP_S20 FW that you flashed.
Get Working WPDN Shared files here: --- http://www.box.net/shared/93t5vc7np8

#79 theedz

theedz

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 August 2012 - 02:39 PM

I am sorry this is really going to be a dumb question for most of you (kinda like where does the gas go in the car?) but, is this what will allow me to view picture files from a Compact Flash card reader (usb)?

1. Get your hands on a WHITE 7" PDN.
2. Plug it in to your PC and it'll install all plug & play drivers EXCEPT ONE, and that's the crucial one to get ADB to work.
3. Get this file here, unzip it in its own directory and update the device driver that was NOT properly installed. You'll end up with the Android Phone device and its Android Composite ADB Interface driver. (See my post above in this thread).
4. Get the hacked FW of your choice found in this forum.

#80 mrsburnout

mrsburnout

"Linkmeister"

• Administrators
  • 7,268 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 30 August 2012 - 03:33 AM

I am sorry this is really going to be a dumb question for most of you (kinda like where does the gas go in the car?) but, is this what will allow me to view picture files from a Compact Flash card reader (usb)?

No, the WPDN does not support USB host.
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary - Not even OEM FW is guaranteed "safe" to flash.

Hey! Newbies (n00bs) - Click the blue links ;) - Forum Rules

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today." ~James Dean
"Slatedroid: Where all the advice is free, even advice you don't want." ~Mark Adams #113449
"Women are Angels. When someone breaks our wings - we simply continue to fly - on a broomstick. We are flexible like that."

Posted Image ~cheers