• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 annunaki

annunaki

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:32 PM

Maybe some techno-head can help clear this up for me 'cause I'm confused. Depending on which vendor or review site you go to, the Ainol Novo7 Advanced Allwinner A10 is listed as 1GHz, 1.2GHz and 1.5GHz. On the Ainol website, the A10 is listed as a "many core" with a CPU that runs UP TO A PEAK 1.5GHz. The ARM Cortex A8 page does not disclose the upper limit though. Additionally, most system test results I've viewed about this tab report 1GHz.

Here's what I came up with. I read a little on the Allwinner A10 (aka A1X) and understand it to be basically a SOC (system on chip) with an ARM Coretex A8 single-core processor (600Mhz-1GHz+) at its heart. The A1X SOC has been enhanced with its own unique new features to include Super HD 2160P/3D Film decoding and oddly, an IR controller (no 3g, GPS or Bluetooth dedication though). The "many core" designation looks to be named as such as it has CPU, GPU, DPU, SPU, APU, VEPU, UPU, AEPU on the SOC, not to be confused with the A8 processor which is a single-core. It also looks like the name for the Allwinner SOC is A1X (not A10) according to the official website. The "A10" designator is for the SOC, not the processor.

According to the ARM website, the Coretex A8 is scalable and capable of running "600MHz to greater than 1GHz". So I assume that Allwinner's A1X SOC and related firmware are responsible for the overall clock speed of the processor. What I cannot find is exactly what speed is currently achieved. Nor can I find anything that explains just how this processor can reach its peak of 1.5GHz. I'm making another assumption that the A1X currently runs ~1GHz with the current firmware.

So, bottom line of what I see is this:

• Allwinner A1X SOC with "many core" technology (CPU+GPU+VPU+DPU+VE)
  • ARM Coretex A8 single-core processor (unpublished CPU clock)
  • ARM Mali-400 MP multi-core GPU (scalable from 1-4 cores) - GPU independent from the SOC brings OpenVG, OpenGL 2D/3D graphics acceleration

Ainol Novo7 Advanced - Manufacturer's page

ARM Cortex™-A8 processor

ARM Mali-400 MP GPU

AllWinner Technology Selects ARM Cortex CPU and Mali GPU Technologies To Bring Integrated SoC To Android OS-Based, Connected Consumer Devices

Allwinner Technology A1X SOC

Posted Image

Edited by annunaki, 20 November 2011 - 08:52 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:41 PM

I have read that the A10 chip tablets run CPU @ 1 GHz. The 1.5 GHz is theoretical max and very likely achieved through overclocking. This would explain why you only see 1 GHz speed today. Higher speeds would cause instability and higher temps. If Tegra 2 (Cortex A9) can only do 1 GHz today then how do people expect the Chinese to do 1.5 GHz with Cortex A8? =)

The AllWinner A10 is:
Cortex A8 CPU @ 1 GHz (single core)
Multiple co-processors which help offload the workload
ARM Mali-400 GPU (single core)

It is a very strong Cortex A8 chip and better overall than the other A8 choices.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#3 Roman2025

Roman2025

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,173 posts
  • LocationLewisville, NC

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:19 PM

I have read that the A10 chip tablets run CPU @ 1 GHz. The 1.5 GHz is theoretical max and very likely achieved through overclocking. This would explain why you only see 1 GHz speed today. Higher speeds would cause instability and higher temps. If Tegra 2 (Cortex A9) can only do 1 GHz today then how do people expect the Chinese to do 1.5 GHz with Cortex A8? =)

The AllWinner A10 is:
Cortex A8 CPU @ 1 GHz (single core)
Multiple co-processors which help offload the workload
ARM Mali-400 GPU (single core)

It is a very strong Cortex A8 chip and better overall than the other A8 choices.

....yes, Nickos-V is dead on :)

I had not heard of the "A1X" designator... Everywhere I have read about this chip it is reported as a Cortex-A8 "CLASS" chip (class is the term that I prefer to use as "cortex-A8" is not a chip unto itself, rather it is a type or class).

"A10", at least as I understand it, is a "model number" and has nothing to do with "cortex A10" as that is not a "type" or "class" that ARM officially recognizes. ARM is the one that puts out the spec.

Hope that helps clear up some confusion rather than create more...

Cheers,

Roman :)
www. Rockchip Firmware.com - Firmware Development Tutorials and Image Repository for all things Rockchip! - "Dedicated to getting new devs started and to helping end-users get the firmware and tools they need to manage their Rockchip based devices!"

www. Top Notch Tablets .com - U.S. Based Android Tablet Reseller - "We like to think we are really good at what we do; so far our customers, and the larger android community, have reinforced this belief. Thanks!"

People have asked (thank you btw) so here it is... If you would like to monetarily say thanks and continue supporting me in my firmware development efforts, you can donate by clicking here: Posted ImageTO MY FIRMWARE DEVELOPMENT FUND

"Money is a tool of exchange, which can't exist unless there are goods produced and men able to produce them. Money is the material shape of the principle that men who wish to deal with one another must deal by trade and give value for value."
-Ayn Rand

#4 annunaki

annunaki

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:10 AM

Well, as I read directly from each manufacturer's website:

The SOC has the designation of Allwinner A1X - Manufacturer's website

Cortex-A8 Processor - "The ARM Cortex™-A8 processor is based on the ARMv7 architecture and has the ability to scale in speed from 600MHz to greater than 1GHz" - ARM

Cortex A8 official manufacturer's page
<-Cortex A Series are processors (chips) and version 8 does what is written to the left.
Posted Image

ARM Mali-400 MP "multi-core GPU" "scalable from 1 to 4 cores" - ARM Mali-400 MP official manufacturer's page

Not trying to be contrary, rather I'm just quoting directly from the manufacturers themselves. The fundamental gray area I'm getting at is: what is the operating clock speed for this device? And, is it upgradable to the theoretical higher speeds (as claimed by ARM themselves) via firmware upgrade? If not, is it capable of running stable at Ainol's reported 1.5GHz through overclocking.

I think I've got these folks pretty well figured out now, but unfortunately, there's a bonafide lack of answers to the above inherent questions.
Posted Image

#5 i*windows

i*windows

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:04 AM

imp3.net has report that with firmware 1.8t the A10 can be overclocked to 1.5ghz

#6 tonyzoc

tonyzoc

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:51 AM

imp3.net has report that with firmware 1.8t the A10 can be overclocked to 1.5ghz

I'm running 1.8B2 with a clock speed of 1ghz. At 1.GHz I get FCs and freeze up often enough to not want to use it. At 1.5GHZ the screen freaks out and I needed to use adb to uninstall setcpu.apk.
I don't see this ever running at 1.5....maybe a stable 1.2 is possible.

#7 bluestang

bluestang

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:07 AM

Maybe they are adding the CPU+GPU to get 1.5 GHz :yahoo:
Ainol Novo 7 Adv -- from TopNotchTablets
Yuandao N101 II -- from TopNotchTablets

#8 Skunk Shampoo

Skunk Shampoo

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:14 PM

Oh, does the Mali 400 clock at 500 MHz?
LG OPTIMUS V - AINOL NOVO7 ADVANCED

#9 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,054 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:07 AM

Oh, does the Mali 400 clock at 500 MHz?

240 MHz (LP)
395 MHz (GP)
http://www.arm.com/p...tab=Performance

LP = Low Power version, GP = General Purpose Version
http://www.tsmc.com/...nology/65nm.htm

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#10 _sync

_sync

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 02:00 AM

i recently got me a tablet with this cpu, made some things clear for me.
also there is no official website anymore for this cpu over at allwinner.
your post is almost all info i could find :p

here is my tablet

#11 geoseilo

geoseilo

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 02:38 PM

Me maximum frequency that is stable to me is 1.148Mhr ,anything more than that even 1.2 is problematic, all the time I have force close.
1.5Mhr forget it, no possibility to me screen freeze after one minute.
I own a clone of the protab2xxl or you can find it as fusion5 , with 1gb of ram.
Unofficial CM 10 4.2.1 by shaun "stable Build 2012-10-11"

Edited by geoseilo, 13 April 2013 - 02:41 PM.