Photo

Underclocked, bad wifi and buggy firmware.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Mr Dasher

Mr Dasher

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:39 PM

Hi I thought it was about time to give the Wopad I8 it's own trouble shooting section. I expect it to be large.

1) First off, and one of the main reasons I bought the unit, over the Samsung CPU, was because it was being sold as a 1.2Ghz cpu speed but when I got the unit and ran the tests it tells me it's only 1.0Ghz. This has been brought to the attention of sites like Merimobiles and they still continue to advertise it as being 1.2Ghz. On the Rockchip site the CPU is listed as capable of doing 1.2Ghz so why the underclock. I heard of Chinese tablet sites overclocking but I can't see why they would underclock. At least give us to option to use a app like SetCPU to clock it ourselves. I wonder if anyone has an android tablet with the Rockchip 2918 CPU clocked to 1.2?

2) Flash 11 seems to crash the stock browser (or any browser). Since I can't seem to find the latest firmware, besides the Merimobile's site, I can't see this being fixed anytime soon.

3) The wifi is useless. Now I can't figure out what's up with this. Merimobiles sugggests I go back to using wifi "b" which is like going back to the stone ages. Another reason why I bought this tablet was because it had "N". Now here's the strange thing. When I first got the tablet I added it to my wireless router and also added the MAC address to the MAC address filtering option. The wifi was bad right from the start. In hopes of improving the wifi I then updated the firmware. After the update I was no longer able to log onto my wifi. The wifi was there I just couldn't log on. Using my desktop I disabled the MAC filtering which allowed my tablet to connect. When I researched the problem I found that the MAC address had changed after the flash. I didn't realize this was possible (unless it was spoofed).

4) the plastic clear touchpad is soft and will show slight fogging if pressed slightly harder than usual

Now most of these Chinese tablet makes don't design their own motherboards. I think most just modify the reference board provided by the chipmaker and for this reason I'm hoping that the issues with the wopad are just firmware related.

In any case it's not worth sending it back to china.

Mr D.

Edited by Mr Dasher, 01 November 2011 - 02:42 PM.

#2 Mr Dasher

Mr Dasher

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:25 PM

SUCCESS! Wopad has just release new firmware andit seems to have fixed some of the issues i was having.

i found the firmware on www.wopadusa.com

First off the wifi is rock solid (at least the pass 60 minutes) and the browser hasnt crsshed once. i neet to give it time to test battery drain.

Now if we could just find the missing 200mhz then we would be in good shape.

D

#3 Nickos-V

Nickos-V

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,027 posts

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:43 PM

SUCCESS! Wopad has just release new firmware andit seems to have fixed some of the issues i was having.

Glad to hear the i8 is working better for you. The i7 has always worked rock solid for me so was very surprised to see the i8 not working well.

Rockchip states the RK2918 chip runs at 1.2 GHz but seems the chip really runs @ 1 GHz. I was kinda disappointed about that too since they advertise it as 1.2 GHz. Same goes for the Allwinner A10 chip which is stated to run @ 1.5 GHz but tablets using it only get 1 GHz version. These chips are really meant for 1 GHz and running them @ higher speeds means more heat and less stable. If they were true 1.2 or 1.5 GHz chips then why underclock them to 1 GHz? The better reason is that they were supposed to overclock them but must realize too many issues to do so.

SetCPU requires access to system folder? Or what is exact problem. RK2918 uses compressed FS so you cannot add any programs to the system folder. Someone has thread on T760 and how to get the system folder to be uncompressed but I have not bothered trying it out.

PS, they must have rushed out the first firmware version on the i8 since they were focused more on the i7 being their best seller.

Edited by Nickos-V, 03 November 2011 - 07:00 PM.

*MINIX NEO X5 (RK3066) - OK. Not fun because uses mouse cursor.
*YUANDAO N80 DUAL (RK3066) - Very good
*CUBE U30GT (RK3066)- Defective; buttons broke in 2-3 weeks; Bad quality control!!! I will never buy a Cube again!!! - Very good while working
*WOPAD I7 (RK2918)- About OK. Sluggish because has weaker ARM chip (RK2918) & less RAM (512 MB).

#4 Mr Dasher

Mr Dasher

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:39 AM

Well the update has been kind of successful. The wifi doesnt completely drop out but it does seem to just stop responding so i have to reboot. So it is almost fixed

Flash 11 still crashes the browser.

Root is only half achieved with certain directories being write protected. I am unable to install some programs that require root

Regarding the cpu speed. I agree its probably a stability issue but for the chip manufacture to continue to advertise the chip speed as being 1.2ghz when it is only capable of 1ghz i think is faudulent. Rockchip is a big disappointment. If the Chinese chip manufactures want to play with the big boys then they're going to have to greatly improve.

#5 lazycroco

lazycroco

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:12 AM

Hey Mr Dasher, I'm having the very same problems with the i7! I cannot believe nobody is screaming out lout and that the WoPads get rather positive reviews, because my i7 feels like a (thin) brick with no useful/working wifi. There hasn't been a single fw update for the i7 btw.

Seeing the problems are the same with the i7 and i8 there seems to be something fundamentally wrong with them.

I can't get rid of some chinese letters on my keyboard (german setting!), too. I've installed a different keyboard by now, but I'd prefer a stock working one.

No solutions in sight! :/

Edited by lazycroco, 15 November 2011 - 09:33 AM.

#6 Mr Dasher

Mr Dasher

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 03:27 PM

I'm having the very same problems with the i7! I cannot believe nobody is screaming out lout and that the WoPads get rather positive reviews, because my i7 feels like a (thin) brick with no useful/working wifi.

No solutions in sight! :/

Hey lazycroco, sorry for the lack of updates. I gave up on the Wopad and have decided to purchase a name brand table (8.9 Galaxy Tab). Just too many problems for what it was worth. If the Wifi had worked properly then I think it would have been bearable but it didn't. What I thought was strange was that everything time i flashed the firmware I got a different MAC address.I thought MAC addresses were hard coded. The OS was just no as mature as it should have been.

Anyway I've given it to my kids. They've probably broken it from now.

D

Edited by Mr Dasher, 22 November 2011 - 03:29 PM.

#7 Snowmean

Snowmean

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:05 AM

I've found firmware from Bmorn V9 tablet. It has the same hardware, but firmware is really actively developed.
I've installed firmware bmorn v9 hd extream, on my wopad i8, and it's work very fast. Unfortunately the WiFi issue is still present, but speed is incredible fast.
One more advantage is that firmware is developed on SDK2.1, and it has native Android Honeycomb interface, which look very good and smooth.

The wifi issue is seems like the wifi interface loosing big packets, because http pages works pretty well, but big files or ssl connections are interrupts.
Maybe we should figure wifi trouble out, and try to solve it by ourselves? Actually I don't think this is the hardware problem.

Edited by Snowmean, 23 November 2011 - 01:11 AM.

#8 peterlion

peterlion

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:35 PM

I've found firmware from Bmorn V9 tablet. It has the same hardware, but firmware is really actively developed.
I've installed firmware bmorn v9 hd extream, on my wopad i8, and it's work very fast. Unfortunately the WiFi issue is still present, but speed is incredible fast.

Hello Snowmean,
where did you get the Firmware from? I downloaded it from the BMorn pages, but it is the firmware for the 1GByte version and my Wopad I8 comes with 512 K - thus the firmware can't be installed.
Any idea what I could do?
Thanks
peter

#9 hello_world.c

hello_world.c

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:13 PM

How do you guys run other firmware on the wopad i8? When I use all images (boot, misc, system etc.) from the bmorn the wopad doesn't even finish the process, i.e. the display stays dark after programming and it doesn't give the three lines and "reboot" as usual. When I use only 'system' from bmorn and the other files from the latest wopad firmware everything looks good but I get a boot loop and no "welcome".

So what's the "secret sauce" to make this work?

Chris

#10 peterlion

peterlion

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 04:54 PM

I just installed the Cube U10GT firmwarwe with honeycomb look.
This runs really great on my wopad I8. Quicker and great interface, much better than the one which came with the Wopad.
The best is: before, my battery in standby was good for max. 12 hours. Now the battery runs for at least 2 days days in standby, probably even more (do not know yet, I just installed 2 days ago).
So: go for the Cube firmware!
Here you can download it: http://www.51cube.com/tools.asp
It is (today) the 5th entry: U10GT V1.4

The only drawback; the firmware includes a lot of chinese programs I do not need and/or want. I was not able to remove those. Maybe someone has and idea how I can get rid of unneeded included programs.

Peter

Edited by peterlion, 08 December 2011 - 04:54 PM.

#11 Dumata

Dumata

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Wopad i8 is not that bad as you describe it . I realy like it ;)