Photo

Battery issues with 1.2 firmware for Rev B Skypad?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 12:31 PM

Has anyone with the 1.2 flashed on their Skypad had any battery problems? Lately after a full charge if I shut the tablet off I will come back and find it down to 10 or 12% . If I place it on the charger it will jump back to 99% after about 10 minutes but It still will take the normal time to complete the charge.. I am starting a charge cycle to recondition the battery, I figure that should do the trick, but it almost seems like something is not shutting down when the pad is powered down. If it reoccurs I might try making sure WiFi is off before powering down, but I was wondering if anybody else who tried the 1.2 has had a similar issues?

If you Like my efforts please feel free to donate, the price of Pepsi Max keeps going up. DONATE HERE

Skytex Promotional code SLATE25OFF on Skytex tablets for all Slatedroid members @ shop.skytex.com

Skytex Skypad S10 Rabid ROM Beta v1.0
Skytex Imagine 10 Rabid ROM v10 Jelly Bean
Skytex SP712 ICS Stock
HP Touchpad Dual Boot WebOs and CM9
Skytex Skypad Gemini 7" ICS Rabid ROM V1.0
Excite 10 Tegra 3 Stock ICS
Elocity A7+ Evilocity ROM
Sylvania SynetLP 7" Rooted

#2 bifftobey

bifftobey

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:37 PM

I am having the same issue. I have only been playing with mine for about a week though.

Sent from my SX-SP700A using Tapatalk

#3 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 03:48 PM

I am having the same issue. I have only been playing with mine for about a week though.

Did you flash to the newer 1.2 firmware?

If you Like my efforts please feel free to donate, the price of Pepsi Max keeps going up. DONATE HERE

Skytex Promotional code SLATE25OFF on Skytex tablets for all Slatedroid members @ shop.skytex.com

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#4 cermak_rd

cermak_rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 06:18 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread, but it is tangentially related. Do you think I should flash to 1.2? In other words, are the changes substantial enough to put up with the headache/risk of flashing the ROM given that Joe has stated that 1.3 is off in the wings.

#5 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

Sorry to hijack your thread, but it is tangentially related. Do you think I should flash to 1.2? In other words, are the changes substantial enough to put up with the headache/risk of flashing the ROM given that Joe has stated that 1.3 is off in the wings.

There are some performance pluses like WiFi works better, the little notification click works as it should. What I am talking about in this thread may not be related, but it didn't happen on the older version. I had a problem with the touchscreen calibrating, but another user reported he never had the issue while another did have it. but two work arounds have been posted for it if you should have it. There ( never should say this aloud) are really no risks to flashing. By error and by accident I have taken my skypad to the brink of brickdom, or so it seemed, but I was still able to get it back up and running. I had power fail during a flash, not a good time to find out the battery on your UPS is dead, and one installer was defaulting to the wrong flash and errored out. But it still came back without having to send it in.

The changes were enough for me to have done the flash. Not that it matters, I would have done it anyway, because it was there. :yahoo:

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#6 bifftobey

bifftobey

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

Did you flash to the newer 1.2 firmware?

Yes, it was one of the first things I did.

#7 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:35 PM

Yes, it was one of the first things I did.

OK just wanted to make sure.

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#8 DMerchen

DMerchen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:54 AM

It seems like my battery is draining faster with the upgrade. Just with normal use, wifi, but it seems it drains faster.

#9 farzid

farzid

• PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

I do have battery problem with default firmware (B borad) .whats the best firmware for Wifi and battery life

#10 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

It seems like my battery is draining faster with the upgrade. Just with normal use, wifi, but it seems it drains faster.

I think it comes back to this issue. But I did a full charge, now I am going to loop a movie with WIFI on a do a full discharge while we run into town. So far the full charge seems to have fixed the appearance of draining while off. May just end up needing the batterstats.bin deleted after a full charge, which is really a good idea with any new flash.

I do have battery problem with default firmware (B borad) .whats the best firmware for Wifi and battery life

Right now it's a toss up. I would stick with the stock for a little bit then see if we can make the issue we are seeing go away or 1.3 comes out.

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#11 quantify

quantify

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:40 AM

Something that may be causing excess battery drain...the default kernel governor setting is userspace, which has the effect of pegging the CPU at max_freq (in this case, 800Mhz). Simple enough to install SetCPU and select the conservative governor, which allows the CPU to use the 160 and 400 Mhz slots.

BTW I'm on the shipping firmware for Rev B, not the upgrade, so YMMV.

#12 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:54 AM

Something that may be causing excess battery drain...the default kernel governor setting is userspace, which has the effect of pegging the CPU at max_freq (in this case, 800Mhz). Simple enough to install SetCPU and select the conservative governor, which allows the CPU to use the 160 and 400 Mhz slots.

BTW I'm on the shipping firmware for Rev B, not the upgrade, so YMMV.

What version of SetCPU are you using/ I got force closes when I trie to run it, but I have an older version.

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#13 quantify

quantify

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:04 AM

What version of SetCPU are you using/ I got force closes when I trie to run it, but I have an older version.

I'm using the latest from the market, which is 2.2.4. Rooting this thing was easy with Gingerbreak, but installing GAPPS was a pain in the...I never managed to get ADB to recognize the skypad over USB, wound up having to do wireless using that nifty RooThis tool. I replaced the GAPPS with the newest version from 8/28. Everything working so far.

Something you may want to add to the instructions for RooThis is that it won't work if you use it from the c:/User file system...I needed to put it root.

#14 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:41 AM

I'm using the latest from the market, which is 2.2.4. Rooting this thing was easy with Gingerbreak, but installing GAPPS was a pain in the...I never managed to get ADB to recognize the skypad over USB, wound up having to do wireless using that nifty RooThis tool. I replaced the GAPPS with the newest version from 8/28. Everything working so far.

Something you may want to add to the instructions for RooThis is that it won't work if you use it from the c:/User file system...I needed to put it root.

I am able to ADb over usb, but when installing the driver do not choose the composite device and it should work fine, just restart the ADB server after it installed the device. I don't know why but it seemed to work best when I had ADB running while I installed.

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#15 Howarda401

Howarda401

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:28 AM

I purchased a Skypad Alpha and have had it for a couple of weeks. Since buying it I have noticed that the battery is draining when it is turned off.
I have not been putting it in standby. I have ensured it is completely shut down.

For example I shut it down last night about 10pm and the battery was at about 40%. At 7 AM this morning I turned it on and it was at 5 % and needed to be recharged.
According to the battery use indicator under status it has been using power under Standby/Cell Service for two hours before I turned it on.
I used a couple of programs to set airplane mode with no change.

The unit seems to be turning on something by itself even when it is supposed to be off.

This has been going on since I got the unit. I've turned off every auto update setting to no avail.
Skytex says they think there may be a fix, but I'm still waiting.

#16 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

I purchased a Skypad Alpha and have had it for a couple of weeks. Since buying it I have noticed that the battery is draining when it is turned off.
I have not been putting it in standby. I have ensured it is completely shut down.

For example I shut it down last night about 10pm and the battery was at about 40%. At 7 AM this morning I turned it on and it was at 5 % and needed to be recharged.
According to the battery use indicator under status it has been using power under Standby/Cell Service for two hours before I turned it on.
I used a couple of programs to set airplane mode with no change.

The unit seems to be turning on something by itself even when it is supposed to be off.

This has been going on since I got the unit. I've turned off every auto update setting to no avail.
Skytex says they think there may be a fix, but I'm still waiting.

You can rename phone.apk and telephony.apk to phone.bak and telephony.bak. That will disable the radio.

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#17 Howarda401

Howarda401

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:56 AM

How do you do that.
I went into Astro and can't find either file.

#18 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:14 PM

How do you do that.
I went into Astro and can't find either file.

Have you rooted your pad? If you have download and install Root Explorer to search and rename them. I think they are in /system/app but i am not sure. My pad is down recharging or I would look for you.

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock

#19 Howarda401

Howarda401

• Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:02 PM

Thanks

I found gingerbreak which rooted the tablet and used the program you suggested to change the names of the files.

I've shut down the unit and tomorrow I'll see if it helped

Thanks.

#20 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

Ok Messaging Joe I found out ti should be the V1.3 on the new tablets being received. I have decided to quit messing with V1.2 and the battery issue. I just flashed back to the original firmware. I don;t know if it was the screen calibration tool I used to get around the offset issue but the touchscreen was a little sloppy. Deleting the batterystats.bin and cycle charging the battery didn't dix the power drain issue. I didn't feel like renaming the phone service files Doing a full power cycle now. But if you want to play with 1.2 feel free. Not everyone was having these issues and it can be a million things making them happen. I just want tom play with it for awhile without tweaking and twisting LOL.

Skytex SP712 ICS Stock