Android Tablets Forum banner

USB Keyboard Case

4K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  KingKurt 
#1 ·
I just got me a USB keyboard case for my gTablet:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005TPRSLK?ie=UTF8&force-full-site=1

The description says it's NOT compatible or has poor compatibility with the gTablet but I am using it right now! It's functional and a good case for only around $13. The non-compatible part is the tabs. The left tab covers the area that you plug in the tablet with and thus then tablet doesn't set in the tabs just right but I have that side just out a bit and have the tablet propped up. I'm setting on an air matress and typing this and it's working out just fine. It's like having a netbook!

I know there are some for the gTablet that range from $30 to $40 but if you're on a budget, this isn't a bad option if you're willing to overlook the tab thing. I have velcro on the back of my tablet (two long strips) which I put on when I bought a 10" tablet stand that normally fits iPads. I put velcron on that too wrapped some cut sponge in black duct tape and have a stand for the gTablet as well. So I could always put velcro on the keyboard/case and it should hold the tablet well if I need it to. Thoguh it seems to hold up ok without it.

The stylus included with the case won't work with the gTablet because the gTablet uses capacitive touch screen. So that's ok, I can litterally point and click.

Overall I'm very happy with the case despite the drawbacks. I took a chance on it as it only cost me around $4.75 in the end. I use swagbucks and got me 3 Amazon.com $5 gift cards so I got the keyboard for practically nothing!

Just wanted to share this with you guys in case anyone was interested. I would also like to hear of experiences with other USB keyboards and where to get them.

I almost forgot to mention that the keyboard is a mini keyboard but has all the standard keys (even a Windows key!) you'd find on any full-sized keyboard. It even has a keypad via Fn key like laptops do.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello TikaC,

I see that you have started a thread about keyboards for the tablets. If this isn't about a specific tablet (gTablet), I have a question about the Craig CMP-738a + usb keyboard, and this may help with other tablets too.

How do I add the (shift ,) "<" and (shift .) ">" symbols to the usb keyboard map?
I checked in system\usr\keylayout as one site said (saw 3 files there: AVRCP.kl, qwerty.kl, tuttle2.kl). There was also a reference to data\usr\keylayout, but the data directory is empty.
I didn't see any way to add shifted keys to those files. And as I write HTML code on the tablet, those keys are very necessary (right now the only way to get them is mixing keyboards: use soft and usb keyboards, very clumsy). I have also seen that there are other characters missing from the layouts.

BTW, the RII wireless keyboard/glidepad works great (even with the above problems) with the CMP-738a and I would guess it would work on any other tablet with hosting abilities.

#3 ·
Yea my girlfriend got me the same one for a birthday present, and I ended up just hack sawing off the two side tabs and putting some Velcro on the back of the tab and case, works great and the keyboard seems to be pretty good quality, only about 25% smaller than your average keyboard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.