• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#61 SpooktheKook

SpooktheKook

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationMA

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:55 AM

Kohls black friday AD shows they will drop the pandigital planet price to 140 dollars.

AND 15 dollars kohls cash back for evey 50 bucks spent.
AND theres 20% off online coupon.

Should drop the price to around 100 bucks.

But I am in a dilemma here.

Wal mart is selling this dual screen tablet called entourage pocket edge for 100 bucks. Used to be 500 bucks but company discontinued support. One side e-ink, the other side froyo 2.2 lcd.
http://www.walmart.c...indingMethod=rr

Argh, can't decide which I should buy. That pandigital planet custom rom seems awesome though...
And the entourage edge has problems in the rooting community. Manufacturer has not released sdk for it. And I've read although it has 512 mb ram and a 1.2 ghz cpu, but it's locked at only 800mhz and is sluggish at certain tasks like games. But do like that e-ink that allows hand written annotations on pdfs.

Hmmm...which should I buy...

Tinfoil,

In reading your entire post.. It sounds like you have really answered your own question! Get a Planet.. If you mess it up you can return it.. if you mess up this two screened monstrosity called the Entourage. its being discontinued what will you do when stock runs out?

Just my two bits ;)
HTC Droid Incredible
unRevoked3 S-Off
2.2.1 for now still learning

Pandigital Planet (Refresh)

Posted Image

#62 babsinc1

babsinc1

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 05:04 PM

Worked for me too!
Posted Image

#63 cpht

cpht

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:37 AM

Just rooted my 2.3.4 successfully! Thx

#64 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Location..Look under your Shoe..

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:01 AM

FYI: You can download my ROM for the PDP Refresh Here @ http://www.slatedroi...h-234-v11-beta/

Pre-rooted
Google Exp installed
Bloatware removed
yada
yada
yada.

;)
I will not answer requests for help on bricked devices. USE THE SEARCH! If you are confused by clearly written instructions, you shouldn't be hacking your tablet!!!!!

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

------------------------------------
.Samsung Vitality (Admire)
OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

.Pandigital Planet 2.3.4 REFRESH
OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

...and many other devices.

>>Donate<< to my Marriage counseling fund. o.0

#65 KBalon

KBalon

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 01:19 PM

Useful thread above....thanks for everyone's efforts.

Study this thread and you will know how to:
- Add Google Experience, Google Apps (GApps), and Google Market to stock PDP-refresh (R70A200 with Android ver-2.3.4 <gingerbread>).

#66 Dr. Aquafresh

Dr. Aquafresh

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:25 AM

I'm glad I came back to check this forum. I ended up exchanging my old Planet for a newer one. I should be able to sell this one for much more than the old Planet.....or I might even keep it for the HDMI out that my HP Touchpad doesn't have.

#67 ganesha11

ganesha11

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:47 PM

Hi Folks,
I've PDP (original with android 2.2) and a number of users here posted that PDP refreshed in kohls is better than the old one. Can anyone explain why is it better? does it have better hardware? Walmart lists PDP with android 2.3.4 and 512MB RAM. Does the Kohls refresh PDP have more RAM than the old PDP (256 MB). I know gingerbread is faster and slick than froyo, but is the difference you guys find in refresh PDP because of gingerbread or any change in hardware. One user reported that he installed new ROM (made for PDP refresh android 2.3.4) on his PDP android 2.2 and was stuck into boot loop. I'm hoping it could be because the hardware may be slightly different? reported kernel 2.6.34 seem to be same on both the PDP. Only difference i notice in the firmware updates is that for older PDP it starts with PR70_A_BN_W_A_C_date.zip and refresh PDP starts with PR72_A_BN_W_A_C_date.zip ? anyone willing to shed some light on this issue. I'll try finding the refresh PDP in kohls around me and see if they will exchange my PDP with the newer refresh model. I hope the newer models too have one front facing and one back facing camera, i kind of use them sometimes with yahoo chatting. I also love the microphone as it allows me to use sipdroid for wifi calling. Can anyone confirm if the newer PDP still has these features.
Thanks in advance !

#68 ganesha11

ganesha11

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 04:58 PM

Hi Folks,
I've PDP (original with android 2.2) and a number of users here posted that PDP refreshed in kohls is better than the old one. Can anyone explain why is it better? does it have better hardware? Walmart lists PDP with android 2.3.4 and 512MB RAM. Does the Kohls refresh PDP have more RAM than the old PDP (256 MB). I know gingerbread is faster and slick than froyo, but is the difference you guys find in refresh PDP because of gingerbread or any change in hardware. One user reported that he installed new ROM (made for PDP refresh android 2.3.4) on his PDP android 2.2 and was stuck into boot loop. I'm hoping it could be because the hardware may be slightly different? reported kernel 2.6.34 seem to be same on both the PDP. Only difference i notice in the firmware updates is that for older PDP it starts with PR70_A_BN_W_A_C_date.zip and refresh PDP starts with PR72_A_BN_W_A_C_date.zip ? anyone willing to shed some light on this issue. I'll try finding the refresh PDP in kohls around me and see if they will exchange my PDP with the newer refresh model. I hope the newer models too have one front facing and one back facing camera, i kind of use them sometimes with yahoo chatting. I also love the microphone as it allows me to use sipdroid for wifi calling. Can anyone confirm if the newer PDP still has these features.
Thanks in advance !

Edit: i already found on forum that refresh PDP has higher RAM (394MB) as opposed to 256MB on PDP (june 2011). One user uploaded some some screen shots and I see that new one has ARMv71 processor and its different than the old PDP. I also note that the speed was 440MHz on the screen shot. Did pandigital substitute a low grade processor and upped the RAM on refresh models?? Also the model name seems to to be PD_novel but it is in the PD_planet box?? any comments ??

#69 tinfoil

tinfoil

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 06:29 PM

Edit: i already found on forum that refresh PDP has higher RAM (394MB) as opposed to 256MB on PDP (june 2011). One user uploaded some some screen shots and I see that new one has ARMv71 processor and its different than the old PDP. I also note that the speed was 440MHz on the screen shot. Did pandigital substitute a low grade processor and upped the RAM on refresh models?? Also the model name seems to to be PD_novel but it is in the PD_planet box?? any comments ??

Mine is 800mhz. Here's a pic of quadrant benchmark too.

Posted Image

Posted Image

sorry for blurryness

1092 quadrant.

#70 nvrpayretail

nvrpayretail

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:58 PM

@ganesha11: The refreshed PDP is leaps and bounds better than the original. My original PDP was constantly running out of memory and hanging - even with extensive memory management work. Also, as many have noted, the touch screen was a bit off. The new one never hangs and touch is spot on. Mine runs at 800mhz, don't know where that info re: 400mhz came from. Wifi is totally stable on the new. On the old, wifi would sometimes disconnect/reconnect at random times. Bottom line is that the new PDP really should have been released as a new model and they should have sunset the original PDP (in fact, they never should have released the original and should be ashamed of themselves for not providing any remediation for the early purchasers).

#71 ste-vv

ste-vv

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:51 PM

okay I must have something weird - I received it as a gift and it runs 2.3.4 - and I had no problems installing Spz0 openrom 1.1 but ..

memory as reported by quadrant
Total: 141612 kB
Free 5292kB
Inactive: 63396

processor is arm v7 rev 1 and h/w Meson-M1 8726M SZ rev 1

But when I run the benchmark - I still get similar results (your device : 1092)

and if I run android system info it shows RAM max as 138Mo with Internal mem as 511Mo

The model (as per label at the bottom)is R70A200(FR)

If the unit has only 256 mb then I shouldn't be able to run 2.3.4

sorry to bring in a wrinkle like this - but is it possible that pandigital are playing around with firmware- and I got one of these old/new units ?

#72 jondar

jondar

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:01 AM

R70A200FR is (I think) the Amazon version - it probably had Kindle installed stock rather than B&N. If you've already loaded Spz0's ROM then you may not be able to tell, but do you know what version of firmware was on it stock? (I'm betting it started with PR74.)

It's very possible that PD is making different configs available - including a 256MB 2.3.4 version for Amazon. There's no reason that 2.3.4 can't run on 256MB as long as PD builds it that way, although it'll be just as tight on memory as the original PDP was.

#73 ste-vv

ste-vv

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:11 PM

R70A200FR is (I think) the Amazon version - it probably had Kindle installed stock rather than B&N. If you've already loaded Spz0's ROM then you may not be able to tell, but do you know what version of firmware was on it stock? (I'm betting it started with PR74.)

It's very possible that PD is making different configs available - including a 256MB 2.3.4 version for Amazon. There's no reason that 2.3.4 can't run on 256MB as long as PD builds it that way, although it'll be just as tight on memory as the original PDP was.

I think it was Kindle installed - but I got so annoyed with the stock not having google apps that I loaded Spz0's ROM so don't know what was the firmware version originally - I'm amazed that 256MB is installed as I thought Gingerbread needed 512MB -

Anyway my real issue is now - what does it mean to be tight on memory ? so far it seems to run everything

#74 Spz0

Spz0

Advanced Shoe Gum Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Location..Look under your Shoe..

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:26 AM

The PDP does not have 256Mb ram, it has 512Mb, of which there is some reserved memory for core system functions, which brings the total RAM down to a funky number (think mine reads 392Mb total).
2.3.4 would probably not run well on 256Mb RAM. There is a recommended requirement of 512Mb ram - 256Mb Min requirement.
I will not answer requests for help on bricked devices. USE THE SEARCH! If you are confused by clearly written instructions, you shouldn't be hacking your tablet!!!!!

Posted Image
.......Devices.......
.Moto Droid X
LiquidICS

.Samsung Vitality (Admire)
OpenAndroid ROM 2.3
Spz0's OC Kernel

.Kyocera M6000(zio)
Rooted2.2.1
OpenZio ROM 2.1.2
Adrynalyne OC

.Pandigital Planet 2.3.4 REFRESH
OpenPDP ROM 2.3.4-v2.1

...and many other devices.

>>Donate<< to my Marriage counseling fund. o.0

#75 jondar

jondar

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:32 PM

The PDP does not have 256Mb ram, it has 512Mb, of which there is some reserved memory for core system functions, which brings the total RAM down to a funky number (think mine reads 392Mb total).
2.3.4 would probably not run well on 256Mb RAM. There is a recommended requirement of 512Mb ram - 256Mb Min requirement.

Yeah, but see his quadrant results he showed above:

memory as reported by quadrant
Total: 141612 kB
Free 5292kB
Inactive: 63396

Sure sounds like a 256MB unit, doesn't it? And he does say it's an FR unit running 2.3.4, so I dunno what PD is doing these days.

Edited by jondar, 14 December 2011 - 12:34 PM.

#76 ste-vv

ste-vv

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 07:20 PM

The PDN was a gift so I'm not complaining - but I would avoid any model with R70A200(FR) on the sticker on the bottom - because it means that Pandigital managed to put 2.3.4 in a 256Mb RAM device
- android system info app is reporting max 138Mb / free 59 Mb available at the moment

The browser will crash if a graphic intensive page loads - what a joke it will be if a PDN ice cream version appears

I'm having fun - maybe setting autokiller to ultimate will help ?

Edited by ste-vv, 14 December 2011 - 07:22 PM.

#77 ytsud

ytsud

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 12:40 PM

I have the exact same senario it is the newer box it still says R70A200 on it with no -2 or -4 and it reads 407MB Internal device storage and 893MB internal Memory, and the quadrant standard says it is a PD Novel?????? very confused!?!?!?!?!

R70F-400[/b] is the newest model Nova. 512 ram 4 Gig internal mem plus an external SD card slot. This sucker rocks after rooting and running Launcher Pro, setting the Launcher speeds to 10! I have a 32 Gig sd card ordered. I use a stylus to choose and select without the select errors, and for the $128 I paid on ########### for this tab still in the box, I'm pretty happy.

#78 Kairnage

Kairnage

Advanced Member

• FW Developer
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,664 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 04:01 PM

R70F-400[/b] is the newest model Nova. 512 ram 4 Gig internal mem plus an external SD card slot. This sucker rocks after rooting and running Launcher Pro, setting the Launcher speeds to 10! I have a 32 Gig sd card ordered. I use a stylus to choose and select without the select errors, and for the $128 I paid on ########### for this tab still in the box, I'm pretty happy.

Also if you want to play around with the firmware, any of the R70F4XX firmware will work on it. I just downloaded the 452 test version dated 01122012 and am going to install it tonight.

If you Like my efforts please feel free to donate, the price of Pepsi Max keeps going up. DONATE HERE

Skytex Promotional code SLATE25OFF on Skytex tablets for all Slatedroid members @ shop.skytex.com

Skytex Skypad S10 Rabid ROM Beta v1.0
Skytex Imagine 10 Rabid ROM v10 Jelly Bean
Skytex SP712 ICS Stock
HP Touchpad Dual Boot WebOs and CM9
Skytex Skypad Gemini 7" ICS Rabid ROM V1.0
Excite 10 Tegra 3 Stock ICS
Elocity A7+ Evilocity ROM
Sylvania SynetLP 7" Rooted

#79 ste-vv

ste-vv

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:09 AM

Also if you want to play around with the firmware, any of the R70F4XX firmware will work on it. I just downloaded the 452 test version dated 01122012 and am going to install it tonight.

This is confusing - if this is a sub forum about the planet - why are is there mention about nova firmware - is the h/w the same that the firmware between the planet and the nova can be interchanged - wouldn't want to brick my planet would I ?

#80 yomaster

yomaster

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:29 PM

Thanks to all, great info. I followed Steps 1 and 2 (in Post#37) for my PDP and everything worked fine. I can now get the Market. However, I do notice that when I launch the Market and select certain apps, there is no "download" button to select. Some apps it is there and some apps it is not. Any ideas? I did not do Step 3 above since many said it was not needed for the Planet. Could this be the cause? Any advice would be helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users